#1 Posted by Ninjafern (381 posts) -

So I'm looking to get some old-school gaming going on on my PC. I've tried the whole glovepie/wii controller setup but it seems really buggy and works intermittently on my system. I'm looking for a gamepad that has a good d-pad first and foremost. Something like a ps2/3 controller but for PC that is wireless. Anyone here have any suggestions??

#2 Posted by Andorski (5189 posts) -

You can use a Dualshock 3 and install a program like Xpadder to configure it.

#3 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1803 posts) -

You could get a bluetooth dongle and use a PS3 controller. Motionjoy will emulate it as an Xbox 360 controller, if you want it to work natively with games that support xbox 360 gamepads.

Also, just use an xbox 360 controller. There's even an old school, Genesis style option available.

#4 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

360 or PS3 controller. You'll need a bluetooth adapter for the PS3 controller or a wireless receiver for the 360 controller.

#5 Posted by Ninjafern (381 posts) -

I didn't realize that PS3 would work with bluetooth! Will give it a shot later today with that motioninjoy mentioned. THANKS!

#6 Posted by Ninjafern (381 posts) -

Or maybe not. Looks like some fellow GBers have had some serious problems with motionjoy's drivers.

#7 Posted by believer258 (11629 posts) -

@n1Nj4d00m said:

Or maybe not. Looks like some fellow GBers have had some serious problems with motionjoy's drivers.

You can just test it out with the PS3 controller's usb cord.

Most of the time, Motioninjoy does work; sometimes, though, it's a real bitch to get anything out of. Try it out, it has the added advantage of being able to emulate a 360 controller.

#8 Posted by Ninjafern (381 posts) -

@believer258: I've heard though that it will basically disable any other bluetooth devices you have connected (like my keyboard and mouse). Is that accurate?

#9 Posted by Zidd (1838 posts) -

I'd suggest a 360 controller with the wireless gaming receiver. Configuration is a lot easier and modern games support them without any rebinding/menu exploration.

#10 Posted by believer258 (11629 posts) -

@n1Nj4d00m said:

@believer258: I've heard though that it will basically disable any other bluetooth devices you have connected (like my keyboard and mouse). Is that accurate?

On that, I have no clue. I've only ever used Motioninjoy with a USB cord and I have no bluetooth devices.

#11 Edited by gike987 (1747 posts) -

@n1Nj4d00m said:

Yeah, don't use motioninjoy. It can mess up your computer and can be impossible to get rid of, I tried everything but in the end I had to reformat.

#12 Posted by believer258 (11629 posts) -

@gike987 said:

@n1Nj4d00m said:

Yeah, don't use motioninjoy. It can mess up your computer and can be impossible to get rid of, I tried everything but in the end I had to reformat.

What? Never heard of that problem.

If you're willing to spend money, just get a 360 controller and a wireless dongle for it. No chance of driver issues that way since the 360 controller works like a charm.

#13 Posted by Ninjafern (381 posts) -

@Zidd said:

I'd suggest a 360 controller with the wireless gaming receiver. Configuration is a lot easier and modern games support them without any rebinding/menu exploration.

Looks like I might be forced to go this route, even though I hate the xbox d-pad. Looks like all the wireless gaming receivers available right now are not produced by microsoft anymore. Ah, the wonders of chinese manufacturing.

#14 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

360 controller the best controller. Most games default to those buttons and stick sensitivity which is different for the PS3 sticks

PS3 controller is too outdated IMO

#15 Posted by Ninjafern (381 posts) -

@gike987 said:

@n1Nj4d00m said:

That makes this decision a lot easier. Thanks for your input.

#16 Posted by Ninjafern (381 posts) -
#17 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2450 posts) -

@n1Nj4d00m: It will work with your 360, as well.

#18 Posted by Zidd (1838 posts) -

@n1Nj4d00m: You will also be able to use that to sync other xbox 360 wireless stuff like the wireless headset and racing wheel. the wired headset port is also supported but its really quiet.

#19 Edited by gike987 (1747 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@gike987 said:

@n1Nj4d00m said:

What? Never heard of that problem.

If you're willing to spend money, just get a 360 controller and a wireless dongle for it. No chance of driver issues that way since the 360 controller works like a charm.

Here is a thread I found on Neogaf. The drivers can override other peripherals and it can sometimes fail to uninstall, In the worst case making it pretty much impossible to remove. Motioninjoy is probably fine if you never plan to use anything else than a PS3 controller, but otherwise I wouldn't installing it.

#20 Edited by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

The logitech F710 is pretty decent if you prefer that stick layout to x360 (no big D-pad advantage though, like a PS3 gets you).

I use it as my main PC gamepad. It is not as good as the x360 for shooters but I prefer it for platforming.

#21 Posted by Ninjafern (381 posts) -

I guess that settles it. Looks like I'll be able to do 2-player stuff with that wireless dongle as well. Thanks everyone!

#22 Edited by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1803 posts) -
#23 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -
#24 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

The 360 gamepad is, in my opinion, the ultimate gamepad.

#25 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@Azteck said:

The 360 gamepad is, in my opinion, the ultimate gamepad.

Seriously. And most PC gamepads just try to emulate the 360 layout. Why not just go with what works?

#26 Posted by PillClinton (3290 posts) -

For a while, I really wanted a wireless controller too. But after just buying a simple wired USB 360 controller and using it for quite some time, it's really just so much less of a hassle (or at least, appears to be), despite the obvious shortcomings of the cord. My PC and TV are in the same room, though, so spatially it works out for me.

#27 Posted by zedman (79 posts) -

I use motion joy with 2 ps3 controllers over Bluetooth, I also have a wireless reciever for a 360 controller both work just as good never had any problems, although at least with ps3 gamepads I don't need to find spare battery's

#28 Posted by Ninjafern (381 posts) -

Picked up a wireless 360 pad for windows last night. Connecting it was super easy and it is recognized by the emulators im using now too. The d-pad is not the best for those old school titles, it seems to switch between down and left/right too easily for my tastes, but i'm sure I'll get used to it.

Thanks everyone!

#29 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@n1Nj4d00m said:

The d-pad is not the best for those old school titles, it seems to switch between down and left/right too easily for my tastes, but i'm sure I'll get used to it.

If you get really fed up with that like I did, you can use xpadder or a similar program to map the same functionality to WASD or the arrow keys on your keyboard. Not the best solution, I'll grant you, but it made menus a whole hell of a lot easier for me.

#30 Posted by Jahbu (20 posts) -

360 controller with a wireless receiver. Many game work automatically with it.

#31 Posted by Ninjafern (381 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@n1Nj4d00m said:

The d-pad is not the best for those old school titles, it seems to switch between down and left/right too easily for my tastes, but i'm sure I'll get used to it.

If you get really fed up with that like I did, you can use xpadder or a similar program to map the same functionality to WASD or the arrow keys on your keyboard. Not the best solution, I'll grant you, but it made menus a whole hell of a lot easier for me.

So you are using the controller but the button presses are mapped to the keyboard? Is that how you're set up? Then you map the WASD keys in your software?

#32 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@n1Nj4d00m:

Yeah, I used xpadder (software) to make WASD emulate the D-Pad inputs and just used the controller for everything else.