Google Announces YouTube Gaming Service

• 66 results
D00mM4r1n3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I wonder if their copyright system will be content-matching live streams? Can't stream anything from Nintendo in that case. It's like they are inviting you to be sued.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The cesspool of humanity in the twitch chat is at least half of the fun of watching these things at all.

TehJedicake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If it allows me to go past a soft cap of 4000kbps bitrate then ALL ABOARD.

Newfangled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bye, Twitch.

Avatar image for absolutedeicide
AbsoluteDeicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But can I stream Hatred on it?

That's my question, too; are they going to balk at any controversy like Twitch? I streamed Hatred on Hitbox and I had a much better experience than I've ever had on Twitch (plus the Android app actually works) and now I just use that. Some of the stuff that's on YouTube is pretty risqué, so I'm guessing as long as there's not a copyright issue they'll be pretty lenient.

Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh please no. Twitch is pretty much exclusive to gaming, and the biggest in livestreaming market. But oh no, youtube smelled some money and it's jumping on the bandwagon along with steam. May it not be true but I think that streaming is going to be butchered soon enough because people won't know/be sure which platform to use, or streams will start being exclusive to other sites and shit.

Me not likes.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

@poser: Though you're on a site that's built on watching old dudes playing and talking about playing video games :|

MasterpinE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a person who nightly watches Twitch content, bring it on Youtube/Google. Hopefully this sort of competition will improve Twitch's services internationally, here in Aus i'm lucky to get a 480p stream some nights. Judging from the few Youtube streams I've watched, along with valves recent dabblings, this is now fairly unacceptable. More competition!

Icaria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poser said:

I don't understand why people want to watch random (mostly) teenagers play video games on the internet.

But I'm old.

I assume I'm part of the target demographic for this kind of stuff (may be wrong, usually am; am also old) but I can barely watch the majority of the free stuff GB has to offer. Between GB, the various 'long plays' and 'lets plays' already on Youtube proper, Twitch, and Steam's Broadcasts feature, it seems like a saturated market. I have to wonder if this is less about Google making money from this service and more about stopping Twitch/Amazon from making money.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

YouTube's streaming hasn't been incredible for me but it's certainly been serviceable, so if they go all-in on this then I could see it being a legitimate contender. Honestly it'll be good for Twitch to have some serious big-brand competition. Hitbox is definitely the most technically competent service I've used and I would stick with it all the time, but there's such a small audience over there that it's tough to convince people to spend any real time with it - and ultimately where the audience goes is (almost) everything.

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poser said:

I don't understand why people want to watch random (mostly) teenagers play video games on the internet.

But I'm old.

Yeah, they should be watching random middle-aged men play video games on the internet.

banderdash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if they're going to be creating content too?

I'm curious to see if this is where Keighley ends up or if he continues to do specific events (E3, The Keighleys) as some kind of freelancer.

budgietheii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By budgietheii

Wonder if we'll see support in the consoles announced by either of them this week. Google do like to offer as little support as possible to Microsoft.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

@austin_walker see third paragraph, second sentence for "Users will be able to add games games of interest to [...]". I think you should either add a whole bunch more games so that it's games games games games games which has a great ring to it or just remove one :P

As to ze news - like others I'll echo the sentiment that more competition is always better. That said, it's always hard to imagine a King dethroned (like Facebook being replaced or Vimeo becoming more popular than YouTube). It can happen, and does happen, but sometimes things feel immovable. Twitch is just so established and I think there is also an element of elitism or "Usness" about Twitch as well, by which I mean that gamers see it more as our own platform versus something like YouTube where your grandma hangs out.

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who doesn't engage in the chat at all when watching live streams I'm happy to see this. The biggest advantage will be for archiving no doubt, something which twitch is pretty horrible at.

Rasrimra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aren't they both in a censorship frenzy? This is still not a good solution for gamers. Steam is OK, or maybe a lesser known website will take over, but I have little faith in Twitch/Youtube leaving us alone.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By AMyggen

@rasrimra: No one will leave you alone because they're both businesses.

BranKetra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great, Sony should totally integrate this into the PS4 firmware.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@psyael said:

For all it's money, Twitch has very few community terms of service and filtering. It's kind of a sad statement that it's up to the actual channel owners to outlaw harassment, epithets, etc on their channels; and it was up to the community to create the bots that handle most of the spam and crap that comes flowing through the channels.

I just don't believe that it's a matter of resources, because this isn't as expensive as transcoding videos for partners. Set up a global filter list of certain hateful speech and crack down on assholes. What they have presently is the softest handed moderation this side of Reddit.

There is absolutely a global filter for language on twitch chat. It is on by default and each channel can decide whether to turn it off for their own chat.

Yep correct. Twitch users turn it off by choice, to get as many viewers as possible.