This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by mracoon (4972 posts) 10 months, 9 days ago

Poll: GotG Final: Dark Souls vs. Mass Effect 2 (1848 votes)

Dark Souls 48%
Mass Effect 2 52%

Main thread

Full bracket

And so we reach the conclusion of the Giant Bomb Community Game of the Generation. We've had highs and lows over the last fortnight as the bracket was whittled down from 64 games to these final two. A massive 46,448 votes have been cast and hundreds of posts made debating, arguing and complaining about the choices the community has made. I'd like to thank everyone who voted and posted because it wouldn't have been any fun without all the community participation. From the beginning I was always more interested in why people voted for a game rather than what they voted for and the last two weeks have produced a lot of great, often heated discussion about the games that have come out in the last eight years. I think we can all at least agree that it's been an amazing generation for video games.

So duders, will it be Dark Souls or Mass Effect 2 that takes the incredibly important title of Game of the Generation?

Dark Souls (2011)

Mass Effect 2 (2010)

Voting closes at midnight GMT / 4pm PST Thursday.

#1 Posted by RobotHamster (4172 posts) -

\o/

#2 Edited by RecSpec (3828 posts) -

Shepard.

Here's why Mass Effect should win.

Dark Souls's tagline is "Prepare to Die." Well, guess what you're doing in Mass Effect 2. Getting ready for a suicide mission.

Next up, I don't think anyone in Dark Souls will fight for Humanity more than the Illusive Man.

Praising the sun? Ha.

#3 Posted by mracoon (4972 posts) -

Hmm, I embeded Quick Looks for both the games but they don't seem to be showing up. Oh well, we'll just have to use our imaginations.

#4 Posted by weegieanawrench (1940 posts) -

Praise the sun!

#5 Posted by chilibean_3 (1644 posts) -

I'M SORRY

but I must vote for ME2.

#6 Posted by UberExplodey (942 posts) -

Shepard.

#7 Posted by Branwulf (407 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 was a great game, Dark Souls is pretty much perfect.

#8 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11126 posts) -

Screw it!

I voted Dark Souls! Why? Because it should have been Mass Effect 1!

Either way, these are both fantastic games, and I will support either one that wins.

Moderator Online
#9 Edited by MjHealy (1854 posts) -

If Dark Souls wins, I'll be very sad.

Jeff would not approve of this!

#10 Posted by ahab88 (240 posts) -

Wow, guys, it had to come down to these. Mass Effect 2, but probably only because my 360 died before I could finish Dark Souls.

#11 Edited by tamriilin (94 posts) -

AHHH I LOVE BOTH OF THESE GAMES SO MUCH.

Considering Mass Effect 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, though, I had to go with it...

#12 Posted by HiCZoK (242 posts) -

That was a tough chooice but I voted to me2. I've finished it MANY times. And Dark Souls only 2. Just more emotions in me

#13 Posted by ike7779 (322 posts) -

Damn, maybe my two favorite games. Dark Souls is just easier to jump into and play though I think.

#14 Edited by chrissedoff (2109 posts) -

I voted for both of these every step of the way, so for me, this is a good matchup. Mass Effect 2 is and has always been my pick for the winner of the whole thing.

#15 Posted by mlarrabee (2967 posts) -

I really liked ME2, but I really love Dark Souls.

(I love Fallout 3 and BioShock more than either.)

#16 Posted by Dixego (385 posts) -

#17 Posted by Hailinel (24965 posts) -

Praise the sun!

#18 Edited by Marokai (2985 posts) -

And this is where I turn against Dark Souls. I'm sorry.

Mass Effect 2.

#19 Posted by Wes899 (2115 posts) -

Well, Dark Souls is an actual good game so I gotta vote for that.

#20 Posted by Guesty_01 (351 posts) -

PRAISE THE MOTHER FUCKIN' SUN

#21 Posted by Stimpack (889 posts) -

The first Mass Effect was the good one. Dark Souls is king.

#22 Edited by ThunderSlash (1749 posts) -

BERRY GUD!

This should just end up in a straight tie.

#23 Edited by vikingdeath1 (973 posts) -

I.... I can't.... DON'T MAKE ME CHOOSE!

Edit: In the end, I think I made the only true choice.

\o/

#24 Posted by DoctorDonkey (295 posts) -

Burn in shit ME2!

#25 Posted by bushpusherr (788 posts) -

No need to argue or present a case, cause everyone is going to be set before coming in here and it won't do any good. It will suffice to simply say that I would be thrilled for Dark Souls to take this. Praise the motherfuckin sun.

#26 Posted by Carlos1408 (1512 posts) -

Praise the Sun!!! \±/

#27 Posted by punkxblaze (2987 posts) -

Praise the sun.

#28 Posted by Pr1mus (3934 posts) -

Someone else posted this in the previous poll and it is such an amazing fan made trailer.

#29 Posted by Demoskinos (14873 posts) -

YOU DEFEATED.

#30 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Let's bring it home Mass Effect!

#31 Posted by ALMIGHTYCHEEKS (71 posts) -

Mass effect 2 is actually fun to play and has a story so i vote for that

#32 Posted by Skyrider (358 posts) -

I'm all in on Dark Souls. I liked Mass Effect 2, but it didn't grab me like the first did. Not sure why! The only game I would have picked over Dark Souls was RDR.

#33 Posted by RonGalaxy (3181 posts) -

This is insanity

#34 Posted by Cypherix (77 posts) -

Praise the sun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N7J802QzP4

#35 Posted by Branwulf (407 posts) -

People who vote for ME2 over Dark Souls must simply be

#36 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Again, never played Dark Souls. So, ME2 gets my vote. But if I could pick my own, it would be The Witcher 2.

#37 Posted by PokySharpy (26 posts) -

#38 Posted by tourgen (4512 posts) -

Sci-fi is more interesting than fantasy, got to go with Mass Effect. Love both games though.

#39 Posted by Ares42 (2687 posts) -

Prepare to .... be disappointed =/

#40 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

#41 Posted by Master_Funk (734 posts) -

DARK SOULS!!!!!

#42 Edited by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

I never thought I would vote Mass Effect 2 for any poll ever (other than a negative one) after the first time I played through it (and after watching my roommate play the whole stupid game). Then I was bored and decided to play through it again and play it super seriously and try hard to get into it. I totally did and now the game has my full respect. It's shallow at places and, because of what Mass Effect 3 did with the character, the story ended up being pretty pointless (collecting dudes that you see for like 15 minutes in the sequel then never play with again), but the game was hella fun. Dark Souls on the other hand I can't play because they refuse to release any sort of demo and I'm not going to compromise my new computer to pirate it to try it out, but I got Demon's Souls from Ps+ and I absolutely hated it. Because the Dark Souls fans are in full force, I have started a strong manly campaign called #anythingbutdarksouls.

It's been a rousing failure thus far so Dark Souls will probably win for some reason, but this is the last push of the Dark Souls hate army.

Also why do Giantbomb's polls suck at math?

#43 Posted by RazielCuts (2959 posts) -

Dark Souls is winning, welcome to the internet.

#44 Edited by Branwulf (407 posts) -
#45 Posted by yyZiggurat (1016 posts) -

I've only beaten ME2 but I really loved Demon's Souls. And I have beaten that. So I voted for Dark Souls.

#46 Posted by IsenTorr (39 posts) -

Dark Souls let's you do stuff like this.

#47 Posted by Jimbo (9819 posts) -

Will it be the good one? Or will it be the one with the Vinny-hosted feature currently running on Giant Bomb? Place bets now!

#48 Posted by TruthTellah (9151 posts) -

I'm sorry.

- Dark Souls

#49 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

ME2 no question for me - not that I'd mind if Dark Souls won.

Both are great!

#50 Posted by bushpusherr (788 posts) -

@jimbo said:

Will it be the good one? Or will it be the one with the Vinny-hosted feature currently running on Giant Bomb? Place bets now!

**note: not an exclusive or.