GotG Final: Dark Souls vs. Mass Effect 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Poll GotG Final: Dark Souls vs. Mass Effect 2 (1858 votes)

Dark Souls 48%
Mass Effect 2 52%

Main thread

Full bracket

And so we reach the conclusion of the Giant Bomb Community Game of the Generation. We've had highs and lows over the last fortnight as the bracket was whittled down from 64 games to these final two. A massive 46,448 votes have been cast and hundreds of posts made debating, arguing and complaining about the choices the community has made. I'd like to thank everyone who voted and posted because it wouldn't have been any fun without all the community participation. From the beginning I was always more interested in why people voted for a game rather than what they voted for and the last two weeks have produced a lot of great, often heated discussion about the games that have come out in the last eight years. I think we can all at least agree that it's been an amazing generation for video games.

So duders, will it be Dark Souls or Mass Effect 2 that takes the incredibly important title of Game of the Generation?

Dark Souls (2011)

Mass Effect 2 (2010)

Voting closes at midnight GMT / 4pm PST Thursday.

• 
Branwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Branwulf

@jimbo: Will it be the good one? Or will it be the one with the same story as Halo and Assassins Creed?

Dixego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Dixego

Both at 51% right this instant... wait, what?

EDIT: JESUS FUCK ME2 JUST CAME AHEAD.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ME2 no question for me - not that I'd mind if Dark Souls won.

Both are great!

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@branwulf: I'm trying to cooperate with others to vote against Dark Souls, but since it hasn't been working I would suggest that its everyone else that hates jolly cooperation :D

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@dixego said:

Both at 51% right this instant... wait, what?

The percentages in this poll have been a little.. weird.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By CaLe

Can't fathom why people love Mass Effect 2 or Dark Souls? All that means is you were not able to enjoy something that a lot of people were capable of enjoying, and for some your natural reaction may be to find fault with the game and even those who were able to greatly enjoy it. Before you open the gates of hate, just remember: not everything is for you.

And that's the memo.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

Mass Effect 2. Both would be on my short list as games I enjoyed the most this generation, but Mass Effect 2 was one of the greatest gaming experiences this generation for me.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The Vinny Effect in full swing pushing Dark Souls into the finals!

I voted ME2 because I think it is the superior game.

tp0p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hey everyone! take a stand against me2!

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Anything but Dark Souls.

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

Oh man, tied at 51% each, how does that even work?

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Seriously...this is such a dismissive and lame copout. I'm honestly surprised how much I've seen it. People legitimately love this game and don't need Vinny's permission.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#63  Edited By Jimbo

@branwulf: Dark Souls has the same story as Halo and AC??

ToniMcKernt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ToniMcKernt

@davidwitten22: so you hate a game that you haven't played?

that's just what i expect from opinions on the internet.

DevourerOfTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

Mass Effect 2 - 51%
Dark Souls - 51%

This poll is breaking reality.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Ohhh, a close one. Gotta give my vote to ME2. BUT WHO WILL WIN? The tension...

Dixego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're voting against Dark Souls without having played it (or even worse, without having played either DkS or ME2) you're basically scum.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can't beat 102%.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Sorry Dark Souls but... Mass Effect 2 is THE game.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mass Effect? More like Boring Effect, am I right?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

@jimbo said:

Will it be the good one? Or will it be the one with the Vinny-hosted feature currently running on Giant Bomb? Place bets now!

oh for christ sakes, stop being snide.

People like Dark Souls. This is true whether Vinny is doing a segment for the game or not. Besides, I'm pretty sure Vinny was in the ME2 camp during the GOTY discussions that year. They're both good games, one of them is more unique than the other, which is probably why people gravitated towards it.

Honestly? If it were Witcher 2, I would vote for that over DS in a heartbeat. Or SR3. or CK2. but I can only pick from these two, so I have to pick my favorite.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Easy decision: Mass Effect 2.

It's the perfect title to summarize this generation. Dark Souls is neat oddity, nothing more.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tonimckernt: I hate the game that came out before it which, from what I hear, is pretty damn similar to it. I mostly hate the game that beat three of my favorite games in a dumb internet poll all in a row. I don't actively go out and tell people that Dark Souls sucks or anything, I'm just campaigning for ME2 to win. Lighten up buddy.

I think I'm going to install Demon's Souls again and give it another shot.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimbo said:

Will it be the good one? Or will it be the one with the Vinny-hosted feature currently running on Giant Bomb? Place bets now!

Haha. But wait, dawg. You're being dismissive.

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't take this...

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved both games, but Mass Effect 2 was a transcendent experience for me, all the while making me care more for characters in a video game than I ever had before.

Meanwhile the atmosphere and tension that DS creates is just amazing. I voted for ME2 but both games are deserving and both are two of my all-time favs anyway.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Funny how many people are in denial of the fact people actually like Dark Souls and need to point out Vinny is playing it as the sole reason why the game got this far.

Of course it couldn't be that for 2 years now people have been screaming at the staff to play more Dark Souls.

radecau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimbo said:

You can't beat 102%.

No Caption Provided

Sure you can

Hadoken101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted for Dark Souls, though both games are completely deserving of the title.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By shinboy630

@shinboy630 said:

Seriously...this is such a dismissive and lame copout. I'm honestly surprised how much I've seen it. People legitimately love this game and don't need Vinny's permission.

I know a lot of people legit love dark souls. This thread is evidence of that with all the people posting images/videos of their favorite moments, quotes, etc. Dark Souls arguably has one of the most enthusiastic fan bases of any recent game. It is all the other people that have not played it and are voting for it because Vinny has been playing it that have been really pushing it over the edge in a lot of the polls. At least it seems that way to me.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OOOH! COLLUSION!!!!!

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like ME2. I've voted against Dark Souls in every round because I did not find it fun & feel bad that I wasted £20 on it. I still expect the rapid Dark Souls fanbase to secure the victory for them though.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By LackingSaint

Both completely worthy of being in the finals, but it's an easy win for ME2 for me.

ToniMcKernt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davidwitten22: hating something implies, at least for me, that there is some deeper knowledge about the matter. i just think that "hate" is maybe a too strong of a word in your case. i don't mind you or anyone voting for their favorite game of course.

i might sound like a D, but i'd just hope that people only participate in polls when they actually played both games. though i know that this is too much to ask for in a poll like this.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

I love the Mass Effect series. But I had to choose Dark Souls.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Strangestories

@jimbo said:

This is getting obnoxious.

Praise the goddamn sun. \o/

Dark Souls isn't going to win but I'm proud it made it this far.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

retrovirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Mass Effect is everything I love about Star Wars and Star Trek mashed into one. Beautiful worlds, amazing, lovable characters, and it has a soul-stirring score. Mass Effect 2 improves upon that world so greatly, and it introduced us to Mordin and Thane, we got to see Wrex become the rightful ruler of his people, we got to take out an alien invasion in a no-hold barred suicide mission. It was the game that proves that you don't need to rely on massive setpeices (looking at you, ME3), but it has great RPG action and dialogue.

Also you can renegade interrupt a dude off a building and set some krogans on fire, so you know, that's cool.

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By JayEH

I beat Mass Effect 2 like 5 times so....

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lets go mass effect! End the terrible run of Dark Souls!

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tonimckernt: I was doing that for the longest time, but I got frustrated after the Heavy Rain/Ghost Trick poll and a couple others because no one else was doing that. Anyways, I really strongly disliked my first attempts with Demon's Souls and I'm not sure what the sequel did to fix any of that, and I'm currently frustrated because I want to try this game that is apparently good enough to be (at worst) the 2nd greatest "game of the generation" (according to these forums), but there is no way for me to do as such without doing something illegal. So at worst this whole GOTG thing has encouraged me to try Demon's Souls again and give it a few more attempts. Maybe I'll fall in love with it and buy Dark Souls during the next Steam sale and I'll be converted, and maybe I'll still strongly dislike it and never want to touch it again.

At the end of the day though its just a mostly meaningless fun little forum battle, and I have to admit it wouldn't have been as fun without Dark Souls bringing out so many... strong emotions in people.

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bushpusherr said:

@shinboy630 said:

I know a lot of people legit love dark souls. This thread is evidence of that with all the people posting images/videos of their favorite moments, quotes, etc. Dark Souls arguably has one of the most enthusiastic fan bases of any recent game. It is all the other people that have not played it and are voting for it because Vinny has been playing it that have been really pushing it over the edge in a lot of the polls. At least it seems that way to me.

I personally haven't seen any evidence or posts of that happening at all. Are you just assuming it because you don't think Dark Souls could really be that well liked?

One thing we do know and have evidence for, however, are people that have not played Dark Souls and are still determined to vote against it whenever they can. We have people in this very thread saying as much.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

I am intrigued by Dark Souls, but I love Mass Effect 2.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Jimbo

@dixego: Only like ~4 people *have* played it. That seems kinda relevant considering what we're voting for. We're talking about Game of the Generation, not Slightly-Obscure-Cult-Hit-Which-Vinny-Happens-To-Like of the Generation.

AxleBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry, but I don't like the Mass Effect universe, It's boring to me and if I explain why even more people will freak out at me, Dark Souls is the clear winner here in my opinion. And no, not because of Vinny's series, stop assuming that game only made it here because of Vinny. Feel free to flame me or whatever I probably won't even read your replies.

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Souls offers just too much more in the gameplay department than Mass Effect 2 for it to be any other answer.

Not only that but the simplification of Mass Effect 2 from ME1 is still a bummer.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@jimbo: You severely underestimate the number of people that have played Dark Souls.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By CptBedlam

Here is my illustrious list of favorite games ever:

The Secret of Monkey Island

Jagged Alliance 2

Silent Hill 2

Shadow of the Colossus

Red Dead Redemption

Dark Souls

... Mass Effect 2 is not in there. It was an alright game but ultimately shallow. The gameplay devolved into a boring corridor shooter that would give away its enemy encounters from miles away through the cover blocks everywhere. The story was pretty pathetic as well. It's only redeeming qualities were the aesthetics and some of the characters. Overall I enjoyed ME1 way more.

Dark Souls it is.