• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by mracoon (4972 posts) 10 months, 12 days ago

Poll: GotG Quarterfinals: Batman: Arkham Asylum vs. Portal 2 (960 votes)

Batman: Arkham Asylum 46%
Portal 2 54%

Main thread

Full bracket

Wayne Industries takes on Aperture Science.

Batman: Arkham Asylum (2009)

Portal 2 (2010)

Voting closes at midnight GMT / 4pm PST Tuesday.

#1 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

Loved both but Portal 2 is my pick - no question.

#2 Edited by Pr1mus (3934 posts) -

Both games were magical the first time through. But everytime i tried to replay Batman after completing it once i got bored a few hours in. I still have to replay Portal 2 again but kinda don't want to to preserve the magic. Portal 2 gets my vote.

#3 Posted by Dayve86 (50 posts) -

I love both, but I voted for Batman. Batman: AA and SMG are tied for my personal favorites of the generation.

#4 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4683 posts) -

If there is any good in the world Batman will take this. Nah, Portal 2 is fine, but I much prefer Batman.

#5 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Batman: Portal Asylum 2.

#6 Posted by Milkman (16846 posts) -

I voted for Portal 2 but I feel like I could have just as easily voted for Arkham Asylum. They're both great games so I'm fine with this going either way.

#7 Posted by TowerSixteen (544 posts) -

Portal 2! I remember liking Batman, but I remember Scarecrow (yay!) and Croc (boo) and literally no other specific moments.

#8 Posted by BeachThunder (11990 posts) -

Well, it seems like another one sided battle...

#9 Edited by AMyggen (3137 posts) -

Loved Batman, but Portal 2...man, that game did comedy right, which is incredibly difficult and rare in this medium. Also loved the story, and that ending...

#10 Edited by MooseyMcMan (11132 posts) -

Batman is the better game.

But, like with many things in my life, I've come to terms with how this isn't going to go my way, so I'm not going to get angry.

#11 Edited by mracoon (4972 posts) -

Correction: Portal 2 actually came out in 2011. I can't edit polls so I can fix it.

#12 Edited by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

I can vote with this match up... But I can't vote with this match up. At least not yet. To make a vote in this match I'm gonna need to go take a good long look in the mirror, then get super drunk. In the morning, while nursing a major hangover, I'll check to see what I drunkenly voted for, and why.

#13 Posted by Hunter5024 (5707 posts) -

Even after wrecking my dreams twice I have to vote for Batman.

#14 Posted by TheHT (11376 posts) -

Portal 2 is a great game with fantastic writing. The game part isn't as much fun as Portal 1, but it's still a solid first-person puzzle game. Arkham Asylum's got that amazing combat though that's often immitated but has never quite been reproduced.

Unfortunately the other two polls were such easy choices I came in here and knee-jerk voted for Portal 2 before realizing this matchup deserved some thought.

#15 Posted by mracoon (4972 posts) -

But, like with many things in my life, I've come to terms with how this isn't going to go my way, so I'm not going to get angry.

Duder, my favourite game (Spelunky) went out in the first round. We can't always get what we want.

#16 Edited by Karkarov (3133 posts) -

Do you people really think Portal 2 is that good .... oh well. Still not going to vote for it now or ever. Either way a non issue because the winner of this only has a curb stomping to look forward to at the hands of either Dark Souls or Red Dead.

#17 Posted by Trilogy (2657 posts) -

Fuck, I don't know anymore. I love both of these games.

#18 Edited by MooseyMcMan (11132 posts) -

@mracoon: I'm just saying that when "One of the greatest games ever made" (Vinny Caravella) loses to a glorified puzzle platformer with lots of voice acting, then I'm going to get a little upset.

#19 Posted by Captain_Insano (1541 posts) -

I expected Portal 2 to continue its run. I really like Arkham Asylum and voted for it. I don't think it is 'Game of the Generation' but I don't think Portal 2 is either (and Portal 2 is fantastic, but I thought Portal was more charming)

#20 Posted by Jimbo (9819 posts) -

This is close, but I voted Batman because at least it's the best Batman game.

#21 Posted by BisonHero (6565 posts) -

I continue my strategy of blindly voting against Portal 2 because it shouldn't be in this bracket at all (Portal 1 should be in the bracket).

#22 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5554 posts) -

Arkham Asylum, because its almost as good as Arkham City

#23 Posted by impartialgecko (1531 posts) -

Portal 2 was 2011 dude. And Arkham Asylum, because Portal 2 wasn't as amazing as Portal.

#24 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Gotta give it to Arkham Asylum. Revolutionized action games AND superhero games as we know it in addition to setting a new standard to balancing some of the best gameplay elements with a gripping narrative and setting.

#25 Posted by Mento (2558 posts) -

This is close, and a really hard choice for me. Arkham Asylum takes it for not having the pacing problems Portal 2 did. I also thought a lot of the Riddler trophy solutions were smarter than Portal 2's puzzles (but not necessarily Portal 1's). And, of course, the combat system on top of that...

#26 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (424 posts) -

Portal 2 is good, but fucking c'mon guys. Batman is Batman.

#27 Posted by kylenalepa (124 posts) -

Argh. I voted for Portal 2 because it feels like the right answer but man, Arkham Asylum was a fantastic game.

#28 Edited by Broomhitches (173 posts) -

I finally got the chance to play Portal earlier this year and I was unimpressed.

#29 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2722 posts) -

Portal 2 is good, but the writing is pretty hit and miss and while the puzzles are cleverly designed, they get tiring after a while. Really enjoyed the story, though. Arkham Asylum has a brilliantly designed world, great combat and some really cool, unpredictable and at times kinda dark story bits. And the collectables were fun! Only thing holding it down are the lousy boss fights, but that's a pretty minor issue. Vote goes for Arkham Asylum, easily.

#30 Posted by OldGuy (1561 posts) -

@mracoon said:
@mooseymcman said:

Duder, my favourite game (Spelunky) went out in the first round. We can't always get what we want.

...but if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need...

#31 Posted by crithon (3307 posts) -

Punching dudes never gets old.

#32 Edited by Vanick (332 posts) -

I went Batman but at this point I could pretty much flip a coin.

#33 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Batman: AA vs Portal 2? Batman

Batman: AA vs Portal 1? Portal 1

#34 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11796 posts) -

I could go either way, because I liked but don't zealously love either of these games. But I picked Batman because... I dunno. Batman.

#35 Posted by BisonHero (6565 posts) -

I like how there's a few positive Portal 2 posts at the top of the thread, then 20 posts in a row that are like "Fuck Portal 2, it ain't no Portal 1. I voted Batman".

And then none of it matters because Portal 2 will inexplicably win anyways.

I don't get it. Portal 2 is a good game, but it neither defined this generation, nor was it like anywhere close to my favourite game of the whole generation. Especially compared to the enormously pleasant surprise that was Batman: Arkham Asylum, coming from a developer that dramatically upped their game.

#36 Edited by jclane (337 posts) -

Arkham Asylum if nothing else broke a mold. There had been good licensed games to come before (Riddick games for example), but none were around when it came time to deliberate the GOTY nominations. Even after its release, no other developer has overcome this hurdle quite like Rocksteady has, and I really hope they are working on some sort of Justice League next-gen title with all core members as playable characters. My excitement could not be contained.

I appreciate the love for Portal 2's strong writing and such, but I am terrible at puzzle games and don't really play them, so the vote has to go to the Caped Crusader.

#37 Posted by jakob187 (21676 posts) -

I love them both so much, but I HAVE to vote for Batman on this one. It's literally the FIRST good Batman game that ever existed, and it did a fan-fucking-tastic job of it. It didn't overstay its welcome. It gave you all of the tools needed to FEEL like Batman. The Metroidvania nature of the island was perfectly plotted. It didn't try to treat all of its secrets and hidden shit like some type of holy grail of need-to-know and instead presented it all in contextual and interesting ways to find it all. The acting was great.

All around, it's just a marvelous fucking game and one of the few that I've ever gotten every achievement in and played through at least a dozen times.

Portal 2 is fucking brilliant, but it didn't have as much power for me as the first one. I literally don't even remember that much about the second game, and I have little ambition to go back and replay it. I remember getting very frustrated with that game at times, to the point that I didn't WANT to keep playing it. The first game did a good job of making you realize that you weren't as smart as you THOUGHT you were, but you could still work it all out. With Portal 2, I felt like it was more "you aren't as smart as you think you are, and we're going to make you feel like a complete fucking idiot worth nothing when you finally figure out how to do this because it's so goddamn random." It was just too much.

#38 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4683 posts) -

@oldguy said:

@mracoon said:
@mooseymcman said:

My game of the gen was not even in the competition. It would of got slaughtered as so few people on the site like it, but still.

#39 Posted by BaconGames (3444 posts) -

I love both of these but I think Batman edges it out for me. Goddamn fantastic games both though.

#40 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@oldguy said:

@mracoon said:

We can't always get what we want.

But most of the time, it's just abject failure. 人生はそうですね。

#41 Edited by Slag (4455 posts) -

Portal did something new and neat, but Portal 2 is the game eligible.

Batman AA is perhaps the greatest brawler since the NES/SNES era , it gets my vote.

#42 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5592 posts) -

Batman is my game of choice here.

#43 Posted by bobafettjm (1504 posts) -

Man, I have immense love for both of these games, but I think I have to go with Batman because of the lasting appeal. I loved my first play through of Portal 2 probably more than my first play through of Batman. However I have not had any real desire to play through Portal 2 again since I already saw it all, but with Batman the actual gameplay is just so darn good that I have already played through it 4 times.

#44 Posted by joshwent (2218 posts) -

I'd say this breaks down to a much simpler question...

Do you like a game that makes you feel cool, or a game that makes you feel smart?

Batman: AA is generally just a perfect Batman simulator. You become the biggest DC badass in a flawless way, but the game is dumb. Obvious paths, blatant puzzles, and the same dull boss fight every fucking time (except for Poison Ivy, which I did like). Awesome gadgets and impeccable combat, but the "world's greatest detective" is reduced to literally following glowing paths to solve mysteries.

In Portal 2, you're not cool. In fact, you're constantly told how not cool you are by a certain reset homicidal A.I. But it reaches Braid-like heights of making you feel like an oval-shooting genius. And the heart wrenchingly hilarious story is told so subtly, you even feel smart for putting those pieces together.

I guess what I'm saying is that they both absolutely excel at their goals, but are just vastly different.

I like feeling smart rather than feeling good at making 20 thugs "unconscious", so it's Portal 2 for me.

#45 Posted by tourgen (4515 posts) -

Batman, so good. Finally a great Batman game. I had more fun with it than Portal 2 but both are great.

#46 Posted by Slag (4455 posts) -

@joshwent said:

I'd say this breaks down to a much simpler question...

Do you like a game that makes you feel cool, or a game that makes you feel smart?

Batman: AA is generally just a perfect Batman simulator. You become the biggest DC badass in a flawless way, but the game is dumb. Obvious paths, blatant puzzles, and the same dull boss fight every fucking time (except for Poison Ivy, which I did like). Awesome gadgets and impeccable combat, but the "world's greatest detective" is reduced to literally following glowing paths to solve mysteries.

In Portal 2, you're not cool. In fact, you're constantly told how not cool you are by a certain reset homicidal A.I. But it reaches Braid-like heights of making you feel like an oval-shooting genius. And the heart wrenchingly hilarious story is told so subtly, you even feel smart for putting those pieces together.

I guess what I'm saying is that they both absolutely excel at their goals, but are just vastly different.

I like feeling smart rather than feeling good at making 20 thugs "unconscious", so it's Portal 2 for me.

That's an interesting perspective and frankly not one that would have occurred to me.

Portal does have that kind of puzzle "Eureka I got it" exhilaration thrill. But for me I've had that same feeling from other games much more recently and frequently than the experience Batman provided. What Batman did for me was finally show fisticuff melee can actually be fun in 3D. That play style was all over the place in the 2d era and I figured it wasn't ever coming back given how poorly it had gone in many attempts attempts post PS1 era. It was like an oasis in a long desert.

You're right the detective part of that game isn't really compelling, although to be fair "world's greatest detective" I'm not sure the Dark Knight has been depicted to truly deserve in comics or tv anyway. I've always viewed him as more Dark Knight than Detective if you will. So I guess for me I didn't really care given how true the game was to source material in a good way.

But it's not there is a poor choice in this matchup, they are both fantastic games.

#47 Posted by NegativeCero (3005 posts) -

I went with Batman. It was an easier choice than it probably should've been.

#48 Posted by BattleMcStruggle (10 posts) -

Well here we are again

It's always such a pleasure

Remember when you tried

to kill me twice?

Oh how we laughed and laughed

Except I wasn't laughing

Under the circumstances

I've been shockingly nice

You want your freedom?

Take it

That's what I'm counting on

I used to want you dead

but

Now I only want you gone

#49 Posted by Starfishhunter9 (369 posts) -

Got to go with portal 2. That games was just incredible, batman was too but refinements in later games made it better imho.

#50 Edited by DizzyMedal (399 posts) -

On any other day I'd probably vote for Batman even though I loved them both. But Batman knocked out Dragon Age so fuck that guy, go GLaDOS!