This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by mracoon (4954 posts) 8 months, 7 days ago

Poll: GotG Quarterfinals: Dark Souls vs. Red Dead Demption (1262 votes)

Dark Souls 52%
Red Dead Redemption 48%

Main thread

Full bracket

Can Dark Souls continue its run of landslide victories or is Red Dead going to stop it in its tracks?

Dark Souls (2011)

Red Dead Redemption (2010)

Voting closes at midnight GMT / 4pm PST Tuesday.

#251 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

I think Dark Souls fans have convinced themselves that the game needs more praise by virtue of the fact some public figures have been dismissive of it. It comes off like a "look at what I drew in school today, Dad!" scenario.

Anyway, RDR is Rockstar's best game and perhaps the premiere example of what can be achieved in the open-world genre.

or maybe its because some of us don't like RDR?

nah, that's too crazy

(serious though I disliked RDR for the 5 hours I played it so of course dark souls is better)

#252 Posted by bushpusherr (762 posts) -

I think Dark Souls fans have convinced themselves that the game needs more praise by virtue of the fact some public figures have been dismissive of it. It comes off like a "look at what I drew in school today, Dad!" scenario.

Anyway, RDR is Rockstar's best game and perhaps the premiere example of what can be achieved in the open-world genre.

I didn't buy the game on two platforms, spend more than 200+ hours playing, beat it more than a couple dozen times, S-Rank it, and go through a Soul Level 1 run because "public figures" (whoever those are) didn't like the game. I just think it's really fucking good.

#253 Posted by Zeik (2223 posts) -

I honestly had no idea people liked RDR this much. This is the first time I've ever even considered that there are people that consider it GotG material.

#254 Posted by CaLe (3911 posts) -

@zeik said:

I honestly had no idea people liked RDR this much. This is the first time I've ever even considered that there are people that consider it GotG material.

Didn't you see any reviews when it came out? It was pretty much universally loved by everyone.

#255 Edited by PokySharpy (25 posts) -

*sigh* It's like people can't understand that we GENUINELY LOVE DARK SOULS.

I have no problem accepting that many of you love Rockstar's brand of open-world game. Personally, I find Rockstar games to be rather middle-of-the-road. I always get bored. I still recognize that someone else might absolutely love them. RDR is the best Rockstar game, and even I can get on board with that. Good on ya if you're a fan.

For me, the voter in this poll, Dark Souls is the GotG. For you, it might not be. That's great, place your vote.

But I'm not confused about games. I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone. I don't know why people need to convince themselves that Dark Souls fans are somehow... deluded.

#256 Posted by Zeik (2223 posts) -

@cale said:

@zeik said:

Didn't you see any reviews when it came out? It was pretty much universally loved by everyone.

The game didn't interest me, so not really. But usually when a game is that loved I would expect to hear it talked about everywhere constantly, whether I sought out conversation or not, and I don't feel like that was the case with RDR. I know there were people that liked it, but it seemed like it just came and went, like most games. I don't recall ever hearing anyone say it was one of the best games ever until now.

#257 Posted by Marokai (2808 posts) -

I think my favorite part of these polls is witnessing people psycho-analyzing Dark Souls fans and assuming we're all doing it for the lulz.

#258 Posted by YOU_DIED (702 posts) -

@dark_lord_spam said:

I didn't buy the game on two platforms, spend more than 200+ hours playing, beat it more than a couple dozen times, S-Rank it, and go through a Soul Level 1 run because "public figures" (whoever those are) didn't like the game. I just think it's really fucking good.

It's a dismissive attitude based on a logical fallacy. I can't come up with a legitimate criticism against the game so I'll attack people who like it.

#259 Posted by Zeik (2223 posts) -

@pokysharpy said:

*sigh* It's like people can't understand that we GENUINELY LOVE DARK SOULS.

I have no problem accepting that many of you love Rockstar's brand of open-world game. Personally, I find Rockstar games to be rather middle-of-the-road. I always get bored. I still recognize that someone else might absolutely love them. RDR is the best Rockstar game, and even I can get on board with that. Good on ya if you're a fan.

For me, the voter in this poll, Dark Souls is the GotG. For you, it might not be. That's great, place your vote.

But I'm not confused about games. I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone. I don't know why people need to convince themselves that Dark Souls fans are somehow... deluded.

I remember when Demon's Souls came out and people were trying to suggest that the only reason it got praised was because it was console exclusive and everyone was a bunch of Sony fanboys. Now that the series is multiplatform that argument doesn't work, but people still need to find some way to discount others opinions.

Frankly I think those are the worst kinds of people. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but anyone who tries to create some ridiculous justification for why someone's opinion is not actually their opinion based entirely on the fact that they don't agree with the opinion is just an asshole. You can vehemently disagree with an opinion as much as you want, but you never have the right to take away someone's opinion.

#260 Edited by Turambar (6675 posts) -

Jeff says "Man that game is complete shit" to your precious RDR, so heap more praise on it to protect it from the vile insults of the public figures. Dark Souls' victory in this poll is already set obtained, but surely, it'll patch up your wounded pride!

*Cue mocking villainous laughter

#261 Posted by DarthOrange (3851 posts) -

I have played both and didn't much care for either. I voted for the lesser of two evils. Red Dead Redemption

#262 Posted by Ezekiel (372 posts) -

I'm not surprised the game with the steeper learning curve and its fans get more hostility. RDR is a game any simpleton can enjoy.

#263 Posted by bushpusherr (762 posts) -

#264 Edited by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

It's happening, isn't it?

Sorry John (again)...

#265 Edited by villainy (538 posts) -

Fuck yes.

#266 Posted by mracoon (4954 posts) -

It was close all day but the Dark Souls fans had just enough extra support to give their game the win with 52% of the vote and an incredibly satisfying 1234 votes cast.