• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by mracoon (4966 posts) 9 months, 13 days ago

Poll: GotG Round 1: Bajno-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts vs. Minecraft (607 votes)

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts 35%
Minecraft 65%

Main thread

Full bracket

Brad Shoemaker's game of the generation verses what is probably the most successful indie game of all time. Should be a fun one.

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (2008)

What the community has to say:

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts is one of the best games to be released in this current generation. It is rare to find a game that touches upon every category of merit so well but at the same time, is overlooked and underappreciated by many.

From user review by @grilledcheez

Minecraft (2011)

What the community has to say:

For just a few pennies, you´ll be suprised at how fun, utterly engrossing and entertaining Minecraft can be. Its not really a game of any kind of genre, but it has managed to craft (excuse the pun) an entirely new form of videogames, all with just a few blocky polygons. That´s quite an achievement.

From user review by @popskinz

Voting closes at midnight GMT / 4pm PST

#1 Posted by BeachThunder (11799 posts) -

I don't care about Minecraft, but Minecraft is....Minecraft.

#2 Posted by Milkman (16618 posts) -

In this poll, there is a correct choice and there is Minecraft.

Make the correct choice.

#3 Posted by vikingdeath1 (947 posts) -

Banjo Kazooie N&B is to Minecraft as.....

Anime-Editor Brad Shoemaker is to Anime.

#4 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5372 posts) -

Nuts and Bolts is always the right answer when up against any game.

#5 Posted by believer258 (11775 posts) -

Minecraft, of course! Hey, wait, how is Banjo-Kazooie winning!? Not because I think it's a bad game, but because I didn't think it had anywhere near enough fans to stand up to the godzilla that is Minecraft.

#6 Posted by GnomeonFire (708 posts) -

Never played either, so I'm abstaining. I was tempted to vote for Minecraft out of significance, but won't.

#7 Posted by bigjeffrey (4906 posts) -

minecraft but i accidentally chose banjo

#8 Posted by L33T_HAXOR (255 posts) -

This is 50/50? Seriously?

#9 Posted by Triumvir (472 posts) -

I couldn't care less about Minecraft, but it's influence is undeniable. Hell, only CoD 4, Gears, and Bioshock can compete with that kind of influence.

#10 Edited by TheHT (11093 posts) -

Apt.

#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I haven't even played Minecraft, and I'm voting for it.

#12 Posted by xyzygy (9935 posts) -

I think Nuts and Bolts was one of the most original, enjoyable, and creative games of the generation. So I voted for it.

#13 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11587 posts) -

How can I phrase this? Oh, right. You are a horrible human being if you don't pick Nuts and Bolts.

#14 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Regardless of gameplay, I've always hated all of the characters in the Banjo & Kazooie games.

Plus, Minecraft!

#15 Edited by schreiberty (206 posts) -

I dont even like minecraft very much but it should win just for how much it has influenced video games in general. Its like what cod4 did for multiplayer shooters, but for everything.

#16 Posted by McLargepants (369 posts) -

Minecraft is one of the most important and influential games this generation. This is an easy choice.

#17 Posted by Itwongo (1163 posts) -

I can't ignore the time I spent in Minecraft. It gets my vote

#18 Posted by Xeiphyer (5601 posts) -

@theht said:
@vikingdeath1 said:

Apt.

#19 Posted by Karkarov (3056 posts) -

Hmm this sure is a tough one... forgettable game that shouldn't even be in the polls versus one of the 10 most influential games of the last console generation....

#20 Posted by NegativeCero (2988 posts) -

I think Minecraft wins this for how it became it's own phenomenon. Ask a kid what he likes to play and he'll probably say Minecraft or iPhone games. It also basically started it's own genre and art style that have been copied in games after it.

#21 Edited by ZolRoyce (651 posts) -

I've had the most fun playing Minecraft, however what I will say is, I've close to never had fun watching people play Minecraft (Rooster Teeth videos being the outlier to that statement)
Whereas that one TNT the guys did of Nuts & Bolts is still one of my favorite Giantbomb videos.
Minecraft gets my vote but Nuts & Bolts aint no joke.

#22 Posted by Belegorm (396 posts) -

Minecraft, no contest. I've been building my own world with a massive castle for the past 2 years and tend to wow my family and friends when I show them, even those who have no interest in minecraft.

Not to mention a lot of my family and friends, both young and old have started playing minecraft on their own, it's a phenomenon. It's also started a genre of its own of sandbox style games.

#23 Posted by weegieanawrench (1937 posts) -

I probably sunk more time into Minecraft than Banjo, but I'm such a long time fan of the series and the joy and satisfaction I got out of building my own vehicles to tackle challenges compels me to vote for it.

#24 Posted by Bulby33 (581 posts) -

Kinda bummed out that Banjo isn't even going to win a single round. Really, really enjoyed that game.

#25 Posted by LackingSaint (1783 posts) -

Minecraft bums me out too much to vote for it. I just feel like every single design decision that was made leading up to the release went totally against the freeform, mysterious nature of it that made it so great. Also the final boss and "ending" (if you can call it that) sucked massively. And then after all that build-up, the final release ended up being basically a bugfix update. Bleh.

#26 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

Banjo never stood a chance but that won't stop me from voting for it god damnit!

#27 Posted by Gruebacca (510 posts) -

When I made my choice, I looked at Youtube and counted how many videos each game influenced.

#28 Posted by Kain55 (124 posts) -

I won't vote due to not liking Minecraft and having never played Banjo Kazooie. However, it would be pretty awesome if Banjo Kazooie somehow managed to win though. Minecraft is far too big for its britches.

#29 Posted by CornBREDX (5046 posts) -

No one even thinks about Banjo and Kazooie Nuts and Bolts anymore (at least, outside Giantbomb). There's a convention around Minecraft. I think we know who won this.

#30 Posted by Skyfire543 (675 posts) -

Even though I love Banjo Kazooie to death, Minecraft had a much bigger impact and was way more influential on games. It get's my vote.

#31 Posted by ajamafalous (11942 posts) -

@milkman said:

In this poll, there is a correct choice and there is Minecraft.

Make the correct choice.

#32 Posted by Nasar7 (2611 posts) -

Sorry Nuts and Bolts, Minecraft was an undeniably important game this gen.

#33 Posted by mrfluke (5127 posts) -

@nasar7 said:

Sorry Nuts and Bolts, Minecraft was an undeniably important game this gen.

#34 Posted by crithon (3111 posts) -

nuts and bolts had some wonderful ideas.... but I know lots of people who know how to set up minecraft servers ranging from age 6 to 60.

#35 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1104 posts) -

Minecraft is one of those games that defined what the generation was about. Banjo was simply a very good game.

#36 Edited by Milkman (16618 posts) -

You're making this man's soul hurt. Are you going to disappoint this man?

#37 Posted by TooWalrus (13155 posts) -

God damn it I love Banjo, and don't care at all for Minecraft, but I totally understand why Minecraft has to win. That thing is a cultural phenomenon. Hey, 33% for Banjo ain't bad.

#38 Posted by chrissedoff (2079 posts) -

Nuts and Bolts is a good game, but Minecraft has an inexplicable allure similar to Dark Souls.

#39 Posted by tourgen (4461 posts) -

Nuts and Bolts is a better game, and java coders are a bunch of mouth breathers, but come on. Minecraft is a pretty awesome thing. Not really a game, not really a simulation, just a weird toy box thats fun with friends.

#40 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

Poor Nuts and Bolts, it's a shame you didn't make it past the first round :'( I still voted for you though!

#41 Posted by BaconGames (3359 posts) -

I think the core of Banjo is amazing and worth praising but I never felt that the game stuff around it was really its strength. I'm just even remembering the start of the game which drags so much that I have a hard time watching it until it opens up and you're getting enough parts.

And it's funny because Minecraft isn't necessarily my game (Terraria is more so). However the game is undeniably huge to games and players which isn't even mentioning its influence on pre-release models and amazing contribution to connecting parents and children with games.

#42 Edited by Atlas (2435 posts) -

Minecraft was innovative, for sure, but it also spawned the trend of the super low res blocky art style, which I am not at all a fan of.

Banjo-Kazooie N&B is simply a delight, in terms of gameplay, presentation, and writing. It's a shame that it's going to go out in the first round, but the game gets my vote, at least.

#43 Posted by SunBroZak (1073 posts) -

@itwongo said:

I can't ignore the time I spent in Minecraft. It gets my vote

#44 Posted by MattyFTM (14364 posts) -

Banjo Nuts & Bolts is one of my favourite games of the generation. It is the sole game that makes me wish I still had an Xbox 360. It has an adorable art style, fantastic gameplay and was full of amazing content.

Also, maybe this is just because I haven't played Minecraft since the Alpha, but I don't really see how Minecraft is all that influential. People keep saying it's one of the most influential games of the generation, but I really don't see that. There have been a lot of Minecraft clones, sure. But a large number of games trying to directly rip you off isn't influence. That's just people trying to rip you off. Looking at other games, both AAA and indie, I don't see many influences from minecraft. There are maybe one or two games that have had some small influences, but nothing major.

So, to summarize: Banjo, Banjo and Banjo again.

#45 Posted by LackingSaint (1783 posts) -

When I made my choice, I looked at Youtube and counted how many videos each game influenced.

And that's why Slender will win Game of the Generation.

#46 Posted by TobbRobb (4588 posts) -

Minecraft has given me more joy in multiplayer. I kinda like Nuts and Bolts more in theory though.... Could go either way with this.

#47 Posted by Vanick (325 posts) -

I like Nuts & Bolts but I played a ton of Minecraft.

#48 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7614 posts) -

Nuts & Bolts is a ridiculously underrated game, easily one of the highlights from this gen and sadly ignored under the weight of complaints that "Rare don't make good games now" or "it isn't a real Banjo game".

It doesn't come close to standing up to the behemoth that is Minecraft though.

#49 Edited by Jimbo (9796 posts) -

Nuts & Bolts is arguably the best 360 exclusive. That or Shadow Complex imo.

@mattyftm said:
But a large number of games trying to directly rip you off isn't influence.

That's kinda exactly what it is.

#50 Posted by Jaqen_HGhar (877 posts) -

While I love Nuts and Bolts, Minecraft has more going for it. Mainly due to the ability to mod the game though. It is fun un-modded, but with mods you can end up with a game where you can build complex industrial... complexes. You can strip-mine entire islands to fuel your machinery in order to build a gigantic floating castle. You can build an exact replica of The Mines of Moria, then put tracks through it and make a rollercoaster.

So while Nuts and Bolts is an awesome and fun vehicle game where you can make vehicles, Minecraft is a fun sandbox where you can create whatever you want. Which is why I vote Minecraft (but only by a hair, Nuts and Bolts is damned good!)