GotG Round 1: Batman: Arkham Asylum vs. Hitman: Blood Money

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Poll GotG Round 1: Batman: Arkham Asylum vs. Hitman: Blood Money (652 votes)

Batman: Arkham Asylum 85%
Hitman: Blood Money 15%

Main thread

Full bracket

Two stealhy-ish games go head-to-head but will Batman or Agent 47 come out victorious.

Batman: Arkham Asylum (2009)

What the community has to say:

Buy this game, even if your background knowledge of the Batman fiction isn’t so serious. You could say that the game wouldn’t rank as high as it does without the Batman license; I suggest that the game is better because it plays to the strengths of the psychologically distorted themes and characters of . How many comic book-based games can claim that? Hell, how many comic book-“inspired” games can claim that? This is how to not butcher a major franchise, folks. I want a Batman shirt.

From user review by @canuckeh

Hitman: Blood Money (2006)

What the community has to say:

The gameplay ALLOWS you to behave how you choose, but it rewards and encourages stealth play. If the idea of waiting behind a bathroom door with your pistol raised, preparing for the moment that a drug-lord needs to relieve himself (thereby opening the door and putting his face in front of your gun) sounds thrilling to you, then this is a game that you'll spend hours and hours with. And you're a weirdo. Just like me.

From user review by @stormtrooper

Voting closes at 12pm GMT / 4am PST Sunday.

• 
Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Not sure how Blood Money even made it into the top 64, Hitman is a very hit or miss series (I like it) but it has extreme niche appeal. Asylum on the other hand is still in my opinion the best "Rocksteady Batman" game and had appeal to all sorts of people for different reasons. Another no brainer.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arkham Asylum for me. I played Blood Money when it came out and thought it was great but I wouldn't consider it for game of the generation since it was also on Xbox and PS2.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

There are very few games I go back to after finishing, but Hitman was one of them. That's the only reason I'm voting for it here, though I enjoyed Arkham Asylum very much my first time through.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Totally forgot Blood Money was a cross gen game. I'll abstain from the vote, i really love Blood Money but cant consider it part of this gen (i played it back on ps2) and i haven't finished Arkham Asylum (im working on it)

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'M BATMAN

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a really tough choice. I absolutely love both of these games. I think overall, I did enjoy the whole arc of Arkham Asylum, whereas Hitman has some very awesome missions. So, Arkham wins, I guess.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Most games lose when compared to Arkham Asylum in my book. I consistently go back every 6 to 12 months and play through it again, and every time it's just as good.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Arkham Aslyum takes this easily.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By TheHT

This was a toughie.

Arkham Asylum introduced a melee combat system that was simple and exhilerating. When it comes to the predator sections, Ryan said it best: in other stealth games you feel vulnerable, but in Arkham you feel like a god. It was polished, the story was fun (until the end), but most of all the gameplay was hard to pull myself away from.

If Arkham Asylum made you feel like a god, Blood Money made you feel like a devil. Puzzling out ways to silently or accidentally assassinate your targets was downright dastardly. The feeling of simply walking away from the chaos and commotion of a level without any attention directed toward you is unmatched. It's also a staple of the Hitman series. So what makes Blood Money the best iteration of the series? (Full disclosure, I've yet to play Hitman: Absolution)

Simply put it's the scenarios and the mechanics. You'll visit an opera house rehearsal, a southern wedding, Mardi Gras, a heaven and hell themed club, a playboy-esque party in the Rockies, a dubious rehab center, even the goddamn White House, and more. Each locale and generally terrible target brought their own spin to the accidents system, ways to rig your environment to make your hits look like, well, an accident.

But accidents aren't just things like falling chandeliers or pianos. Falling off a ledge or taking a nasty tumble down some stairs count too. The games scenarios all follow a certain timeline of events, and if you want to make out with the Silent Assassin ranking, you'll have to pay attention and plan around these events. At this point the game basically becomes a murder puzzle game. Run to one target, push him as he's walking down a particular set of stairs, run to this other area and grab a weapon, run to the attic and kill the groom, then get the fuck outta there. Unlike a puzzle game, there are many ways to complete a mission, and discovering them all is a joy.

The stories are both acceptable. Arkham Asylum is a fun romp through a supervillain run mad house, and Blood Money has 47 drawn into a conflict with a rival agency. The great part of Asylum is of course seeing all of the villains that take a stab at ending the Bat. Poison Ivy, Scarecrow, Bane, and Killer Croc are some of the big ones, and it's fun to see how Batman comes across them all while he tracks down the Joker.

The conflict with the Franchise, rival to the Agency, in Blood Money makes for some really fun encounters with rival assassin's though. Whether it's suddenly getting killed by a woman dressed as an angel or straight up duelling a man dressed as a demon, the rival assassins often make for an interesting aside to the scheming and stalking. The plot also gives some more interesting insight into 47's character, specifically through his relationship with Diana, his handler throughout the series, and also with a canary he keeps in his hideout.

Arkham Asylum's story gets pretty silly toward the end, and the final boss is just dumb. Blood Money's "final boss" is one of my most memorable moments in a video game. In Asylum you just fist-fight Joker who's hopped up on Bane's "Venom" serum. In Blood Money you just watch as your body is cremated, but as you hit buttons you notice the screen gets less dim, and 47's heart begins to beat. You've then got to reawaken 47 by pushing whatever buttons or keys you can, and once awake are given a single directive: kill everyone. The head of the Franchise is there thinking he's won, and everyone in attendance knows your identity. After massacring your own funeral, 47 disappears into a shady Chinese backroom, inquiring about "work" after leaving the Agency. Awesome.

Arkham Asylum made 3D melee combat a selling point in games, with plenty of other titles lifting the simple and addictive system. There's not really anything else like Blood Money though. It's the quintessential modern assassin game, and good ol' nefarious fun.

Good times were had in Arkham Asylum, but Blood Money was the more memorable and interesting video game experience of the generation.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Claude

Arkham Asylum's melee combat wore me out. I quit the game because of it. Goon after goon after, oh wait, a tougher goon. Hitman Blood Money is a classic.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hitman shouldn't even be on this list.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht: Blood Money definitely had one of the few satisfying endings to a game. It deserves respect for that, if not for its great sandbox murdering. You forgot to mention, though, how Asylum forces you into a camera perspective that you've never used up until that point, that's really hard and janky to control from.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Batman pretty much single handedly changed 3rd person melee combat in gaming. It was simple to pull off but deep enough with options that it doesn't feel shit like Fable and it was exciting to just watch. The levels and overall structure of the game were super tight. The only real downside to the game was the horrible boss fights.

Hitman on the other hand has always been a series that doesn't necessarily lead you by the hand and that's probably for the best but the AI and sometimes clunky controls have often left me having a frustrating experience.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Squash match, Hitman just out here to do a job.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By pr1mus

The Batman.

DrStrangepork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blood Money was a good game but it doesn't belong in this competition.

And I forgot to mention...I'm Batman.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I guess Blood Money will be sacrificed. Really an incredible, one of a kind game. Too bad.

@drstrangepork said:

Blood Money was a good game but it doesn't belong in this competition.

My second favorite game of this gen, so it certainly does for me.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gameplay vs quicktime event combat? Bloodmoney every time.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blood Money is truly a one of a kind game, not even IO themselves could come close to replicating what made it so great. Arkham Asylum is nice, but failed to hold my attention.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I really dont think Blood Money even qualifies as a top 100 game this Gen but batman probably does so this vote is hella easy. Im a fan of hitman too but Bloodmoney isn't nearly in the same league as the other games in this competition.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#22  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

There's no way Arkham Asylum isn't going to win this one. The way that game made you feel like Batman with its fantastic combat system and use of stealth, and the way it plunged you into the Batman universe was amazing.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have a lot of you guys even played Blood Money? You are dismissing one of the most unique and interesting games this generation. It's cool if it's not for you but it's easily a top 100 game this gen.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Have a lot of you guys even played Blood Money? You are dismissing one of the most unique and interesting games this generation. It's cool if it's not for you but it's easily a top 100 game this gen.

Now you know how I felt during the Bastion/Dragon Quest IX poll.

Avatar image for commander_crichton
Commander_Crichton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Preach!

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

Hitman is terrible , so Batman .

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

Most games lose when compared to Arkham Asylum in my book. I consistently go back every 6 to 12 months and play through it again, and every time it's just as good.

Ditto

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This is actually the toughest choice for me so far, I love both games for different reasons... I'd have to go with Batman though because Blood Money's controls/movement feel a bit "last gen" (since it's a split gen game I guess that makes sense).

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously.

If you have even an ounce of creativity in your body, Blood Money is one of the most replayable and satisfying games ever.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really tough choice. I played the shizzle out of both of these games, but Arkham Asylum gets a slight edge from me.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm must be one of the few that prefers Hitman Absolution to Blood Money, but even then, I'd still vote for Batman.

Kain55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blood Money seems fascinating and I want to play far more of it, but dammit if I don't love the shit out of Arkham Asylum. If this were Arkham City I would probably vote differently though to be fair.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@chop said:

@artisanbreads said:

Seriously.

If you have even an ounce of creativity in your body, Blood Money is one of the most replayable and satisfying games ever.

Eh, I still prefer Contracts, though.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Blood Money was great, but come on.... it's Batman

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@artisanbreads: I liked contracts better myself. And as much as I can admire and enjoy (Ive gotten SS rank on every mission in every game)the hitman franchise Bloodmoney has a number of flaws that for me keep it from being in this kind of conversation for me personally at least.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arkham Asylum was awesome, Arkham City was even better; too bad its not in the bracket. Hitman deserves to go against something less dominant though, its a top 20 game.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Milkman

Blood Money is a great, great, GREAT game and one that is criminally overlooked but it doesn't stand a chance against Arkham Asylum.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blood money came out on Xbox and PS2, I would consider it an invalid candidate for that reason, even if it is really good.

It's not Asylum good though.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a tough one, but I went with Arkham Asylum. It's so good.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I chose Arkham Asylum despite having some frustrations about it, but only because I really couldn't get into Blood Money at all.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@canteu said:

Blood money came out on Xbox and PS2, I would consider it an invalid candidate for that reason, even if it is really good.

It's not Asylum good though.

I guess I didn't know that at the time but I would have argued for that in the run-up if I noticed. Yeah, now that I think about it seems rather clear to me given that it's not necessarily this uber great or important game. If a truly monumental game came out that happened to be cross generation, then I can see the argument but I don't think that applies at all to Blood Money as good as it is.

Oh well, an easy choice in the early goings I guess.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AA was amazing, shame i lost my save like 65% in and never finished the story

buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would anyone agree with me that Batman did for third person action games what CoD4 did for multiplayer?

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#44  Edited By Daneian

Batmantroidvania

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#45  Edited By TheHT

Oh lawd, how could I forget about the music in Blood Money. So good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Hitman: Blood Money. Still the best in the series and although Arkham Asylum is a great and very well made game, it's also shallow an doesn't offer the depth and experimentation that Blood Money provided.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Batman Arkham Asylum is such a simple game, it could have been a PS1 game with it's blockiness of it's character models, but it's filled with so much content it's ridiculous. It appeals to me as a fanboy, the combat makes me question my love of almost all fighting games, and it's metroidvania aspect can rival the best of the best.

I still think the worst character model of all time is easily Jim Gordon, he looks like he eats rocks.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

Arkham Asylum, no competition. Better gameplay, a far better story and a living, breathing organic setting that was constantly evolving around you.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, two very different games

And i enjoy Hitman a lot but AA was just such a gem that its hard to argue with that being the choice.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

@theht: Good writeup, you summed up a lot of my thoughts. Out of the matchups so far, I think this one is probably the toughest for me so far. I agree with you that Hitman really hinges on the scenarios that are set up for you in the levels, but luckily Blood Money has some of the best ones in the series.

On the other hand, there's a reason so many games have cribbed the Arkham Asylum combat for their own purposes, it's quite fun, if not a bit rudimentary, and looks awesome to boot. Plus the stealth sections absolutely made you feel like a badass motherfucking Batman. It really just evokes the Batman universe incredibly well across the board.

Before even voting, I know Batman is gonna win, so I'll give my vote to the underdog. Let it be known that both of these games are awesome.