GotG Round 1: BioShock Infinite vs. Borderlands

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Poll GotG Round 1: BioShock Infinite vs. Borderlands (759 votes)

BioShock Infinite 65%
Borderlands 35%

Main thread

Full bracket

Infinite BioShock's or (slightly less than) infinite guns, you decide which you prefer.

BioShock Infinite (2013)

What the community has to say:

Overall I would absolutely recommend this game to anyone for who is a fan of shooters or good stories. If you don't like shooters very much, put it on easy, and punch everything to death. One way or another, everyone needs to see this story and enjoy this experience.

From user review by @irnoebot

Borderlands (2009)

What the community has to say:

In the end though, Borderlands is still a blast to play even with its problems. The action just rarely slows down, and does a great job at constantly moving from one loot filled encounter to the next. It's especially great when played with friends, and if you've got at least one other person with whom you can explore Pandora, then I give Borderlands a hearty recommendation. In fact, it's still worth a look even if you don't.

From user review by @majormitch

Voting closes at midnight GMT / 4pm PST Sunday.

• 
bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By bigjeffrey

Infinite, even though i played a bunch of borderlands i found it boring.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Never played the original borderlands, but Infinite was a fun experience.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder

Sorry Borderlands...

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Borderlands.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I don't particularly like Borderlands but i hate the Bioshock games with a passion. I wake up at night to hate them(not really).

T4RTERS4UCE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Borderlands is lame.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

If it had been Borderlands 2, this would have been a hard decision. Infinite it is.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This is a monstrous choice.

I guess I have to go with Bioshock.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This one is tough. I like both of these games for very different reasons. I'd have to give it to Borderlands. Co-op in Borderlands gave me countless hours of fun. Sorry BioShock Infinite at least your on my top ten of 2013 list.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CaLe

I got tired of some parts of Infinite but the ending kinda made up for it by surprising me. Borderlands has always struck me as a co-op focused game so I don't enjoy playing it. Feels lonely.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bioshock infinite has to be on this gotg list.

borderlands story was lacking, and the bosses were underwhelming.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By musubi

One of the legitimate best games of the generation versus a crippled shitty loot grind that ceases to be fun in about three hours? The choice is Infinitely clear.

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really care for either game.

Infinite had boring gameplay but it had a neat narrative.

Borderlands had boring gameplay but the RPG elements helped make it seem far more exciting than it was and at the time I was into it's loot lust so it was a bit addicting.

I went with Borderlands.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Missed that it was the original Borderlands before I clicked it. Would have voted BioShock Infinite otherwise. Borderlands 2 is a great game though.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

I never cared for Borderlands, just could never get into it.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Borderlands. Bioshock Infinite is a mess. Enjoyable at times, but nowhere near my favorite games of this generation.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Dude, let's be real.

Borderlands is way better than BioShock Infinite.

Catch a Ride.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Bioshock Infinite - a very pretty shooting gallery. Borderlands? Immensely replayable groundbreaking advancement of the loot-centric game.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both are very good, and I wish it were a little more evenly matched right now. That said, I still kind of prefer Bioshock: Infinite. The narrative is a mess and the gameplay isn't the best but it just has more charm to me.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Tennmuerti

Infinite sure is pretty and had a nice story, but as a game it really didn't do anything interesting.

Borderlands on the other hand was something unique at the time and still is aside from it's direct sequel. A Diablo like FPS.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

One of the legitimate best games of the generation

You mean I can vote for Katawa Shoujo? Where?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By TheHT

I'm still meaning to take some time to reflect on that ending, and the Luteces, and the nature of the BioShock multiverse, and everything else from Infinite. I'm a complete sucker for that stuff.

Borderlands 1 was boring. Now Borderlands 2, that's a hell of a game. Gimmie a ninja blade, a Jakobs revolver, some sweettunes, tons of things to kill and loot, and I will play the ever-loving shit outta your game.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

My vote goes to Bioshock Infinite, but if it were facing Borderlands 2, the decision would be really difficult.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Borderlands is pretty cool, and just about any game that used Diablo 2 mechanics is good in my book, but god damn is that game boring. Infinite doesn't have the same highs as the original, but it doesn't have the same lows either. A consistently good game, albeit a bit slow and meandering at times. Bioshock Infinite has my vote.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#26  Edited By Danteveli

Borderlands . Bioshock (first one) would be a better challenger than the over hyped one.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Gosh, this might be a case where I can't vote having not played Infinite yet. That games is so back and forth that I can't trust anyone but myself to judge what it is at this point so to compare it to Borderlands is nigh impossible.

Although if I must invoke "game of the generation" then I think Infinite's contribution to the generation is important in a way that flows counter to its quality. To me Infinite seems to close the book on some of the narrative structures that BioShock made popular this generation. It ended the job that BioShock stared and basically guarantees that anything approximating audio diaries or anything of the sort will likely be too obvious or arbitrary to justify. No doubt there's a lot to appreciate in Infinite and I look forward to playing it but I think it's contribution has been more so the discussions it sparked than the game per se.

Borderlands on the other hand feels like it belongs smack dab in the middle of this generation of consoles and seems to be like a "game of the generation" despite not hitting the highs that Infinite hits. So I guess I'll vote Borderlands.

drevik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hard to compare a multiplayer game to a single player game.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

I love borderlands 2 more than the first one. My vote goes to Infinite.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@flacracker: The only thing Borderlands wins at is being marginally less awful than Borderlands 2 because of the lack of Tiny Tina.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck, I love both those game, but that first Borderlands made me so happy for many many hours. If this were Borderlands 2 vs Infinite it would be a different story.

Gnorbooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I gotta go with Borderlands on this one. Played the absolute hell out of it, and hey, it might even by my overall game of the generation just cause of how much fun I had with it. Infinite is a fantastic game in it's own right and I do love it, but Borderlands felt fresher, especially in '09 when it dropped. Gotta represent that loot lust!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Borderlands is just pure fun. Bioshock Infinite is a good game but it's not as good as the original Bioshock, has a very mediocre combat system, and offered a fairly predictable story. It's another well made game in the GOTG list, but mechanically, it's just not on par with Borderlands; for me, gameplay wins out almost every time.

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JohnTunoku

I say Borderlands because it's one of the few modern fpses I actually enjoy playing. Infinite had a great story and setting, sure, but everything else was kind of meh.

The opposite is essentially true of Borderlands, with great character progression and combat but a story that may as well not be there at all.

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Liquidus

Borderlands is a fun game, it is no BioShock Infinite.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Borderlands still kinda sucks because you have way too few abilities. You have one active skill, and everything else you put points into is a passive that buffs your one skill, or a passive that buffs your character in some general way. Would it have killed them to give each class like 2-4 meaningful abilities?

So fuck that game.

Bioshock Infinite all the way.

Juzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Both were pretty boring as far as gameplay but infinite had a far better story and the world design was awesome.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bioshock Infinite. I really liked the setting, gameplay and story more than Bioshock and Borderlands 1 and 2 are great but they're hard to finish. I had the same problem with both Borderlands games, Id play co-op with one or two friends and have a blast up until I get to the mid 20s then the missions start getting boring and I start playing a little less and all my friends level up way past me and its not fun to play with them anymore. The gameplay mechanics aren't that great and I wish you could get skill points faster.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Borderlands, for sure. I put hundreds of hours into it and consider it one of my favorite games of all time. It was a great mix of existing genres and mechanics that had never been done that way previously and still really hasn't, until Destiny comes out. The art style is also timeless and very appealing. The game is seriously a ton of fun. And despite the sequel being better in almost every conceivable way, there are a few major problems that is has that makes me vastly prefer the first over it.

Infinite is a fine game. It has an exceptional story and characters and a twist ending that is conceptually amazing but executed a little sloppily. The gameplay, however, is merely serviceable and doesn't exactly offer up anything that fun. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed by it a little bit, but I still enjoyed my time with it. Borderlands was way more enjoyable to me, though.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say Borderlands, at least it's fun to play. Bioshock should seriously be getting the video game equivalent of a Razzie. It was just a horrible, horrible game.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Not the biggest fan of either game, but I'd say Bioshock Infinite edges out Borderlands.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Borderland is such a weird success, I have 2 copies of borderlands one on PC and one on PS3, and I have friends who say "play it multiplayer" or "play it singleplayer" and I can't seem to enjoy it. I mean it's okay, shooting mechanics are broken, and you get guns so they are less broken, so you debate on guns that are broken and less broken as you run backwards and fire. I've attempted at least 20 times and different ways to play this and it still doesn't hook me.

Seriously I'd rather voice for Minerva's Den then any of the Shock games, Infinite is pretty good, really amazed how the AI enemies are like Serious Sam. And the big bad guy's plot twist is just unearned, he's evil because there's racist imigary. But it's a unique game, Minerva's Den is better.

Avatar image for deactivated-58e444b274195
deactivated-58e444b274195

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me, the first couple hours of Bioshock Infinite are greater than most games I have EVER played. The rest of the game is gravy. But it is really hard to compare a game that relies on playing with other people to a single player experience. So for me to pick between these two games, Infinite is one of the best single player experiences I have had, while Borderlands was great, but games such as Castle Crashers, NHL, Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart, etc. have provided more exciting and, quite frankly, more memorable experiences for the multiplayer experience. Therefore I have to vote for Infinite.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By crusader8463

Both of those games were not fun at all to play. I kind of liked the bioshock art a bit better so that one I guess?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

As much I really liked Borderlands (and as much as I REALLY disliked Borderlands 2), I've got to give it to Infinite. Two great games, though.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

But it is really hard to compare a game that relies on playing with other people to a single player experience.

This is the real kicker here for me. I even played through most of Borderlands (plus most of the DLC) with a couple co-workers, and it was admittedly fun, but then I think about trying to play that game when people weren't around, and holy crap is it boring. And even with the multiplayer stuff, diminishing returns tends to kick in at a certain point. The missions get repetitive, your repertoire of skills isn't varied or interesting enough (and to be honest, everyone really just has their one main skill), and it becomes a chore.

Bioshock Infinite on the other hand has fantastic art direction, a great story, and I'm one of the weirdos who actually liked the combat in that game quite a bit, especially when you are whipping around on those skyrails shooting lightning and crows. To be honest, now that I'm thinking about it, the set of skills and vigors you get in Infinite are probably more interesting than the Borderlands skill tree.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Bioshock. No contest.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally, here's two games I played through completely. Infinite to win it!