• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by mracoon (4961 posts) 8 months, 23 days ago

Poll: GotG Round 1: BioShock vs. Mirror's Edge (776 votes)

BioShock 80%
Mirror's Edge 20%

Main thread

Full bracket

One game takes place deep below ground, the other high above it. Just thought you should know.

BioShock (2007)

Bioshock is the closest thing to art in the world of videogames. Not merely because of its fantastic effects, and art-deco style, but this is the only narrative that a movie or book could not accomplish without the same end affect. The only way this piece of fiction could have been executed is though interactive entertainment, and you will understand this once you approach the game's climax. This is a towering example of how engaging story, and multi layered characters can dramatically improve a game's quality. Bioshock is a rollercoaster that immediately grabs you, and never lets go during this exploration of horror, and madness. 2K didn't just deliver us a shooter that's fun to play, but they delivered the new benchmark in what makes a game worthwhile for your time and money. Bioshock stands as a tremendous example on the rules in which a single player game should go by, a convergence of action packed entertaining gameplay, engrossing narrative, and characters who are both superb and believable. With the combination of tremendous quality in writing, sound, and visuals, you feel as if Rapture could truly exist. With all this said and done, would you kindly delve into the depths of one of 2007's finest?

From user review by epicsteve

Mirror's Edge (2008)

What the community has to say:

Mirror's Edge is an incredibly unique experience that is extremely important in the age of an extremely over-saturate game market. We're constantly being flooded by the same types of games and an endless stream of sequels that rarely do anything new. That's not to say any of these games are bad, but they drown out innovation by constantly playing it safe - as well as wearing out their welcome. Games like Mirror's Edge don't come around very often, and when they do we'd be best not to ignore them, lest we want games that take a chance and break the mold to fade into obscurity.

From user review by knightsofround

Voting closes at 12pm GMT / 4am PST Saturday.

#1 Posted by Demoskinos (14591 posts) -

Mirrors Edge is poo. Bioshock is a delightful ice cream sundae.

#2 Posted by bigjeffrey (4816 posts) -

Bioshock

#3 Posted by Vanick (318 posts) -

Bioshock is one of my favorites of this generation. I thought Mirror's Edge was good but it had some problems.

#4 Edited by crithon (3081 posts) -

call be bias..... I felt Mirror's Edge was rubbish. Like had the WORST STORY OF ALL TIME, And it was a story like build with such a large scale production and a song "still alive" a year after Portal 1. And the gameplay, kinda okay but man momentum is killed when your stuck. It's not nearly as good as a decent platformer. In fact why was this even considered. Like that is one of the most interesting failures of this generation.

Bioshock, I replayed it, it's got flaws, it's unique, it honestly feels different from most shooters. I would vote for Minerva's Den over all of the entire Shock series.

This honestly feels like voting for the lesser of weirdest attempts this past generation.

#5 Posted by Chaser324 (6345 posts) -

Mirror's Edge does some interesting things aesthetically and mechanically, but it doesn't come together as a good game. BioShock on the other hand, is top to bottom a great experience (with the exception of certain aspects of the ending).

#6 Posted by spat55 (32 posts) -

I liked Mirror's Edge, but I haven't played Bioshock only the Infinite one. I know Mirror's Edge has a bad story but I liked the visuals and it is something new, not many games are like that but there are plenty of FPS-RPG out there, and I think fallout is better than Bioshock if that is what you are looking for.

#7 Edited by TheHT (10933 posts) -

I didn't play BioShock until recently, this year in fact. It's fun! I started it around when it came out but got bored and forgot about it. It's totally a great game. The story twist is delivered fantastically, the ending is OK, the world is tons of fun to explore. It should totally win this, and I've no doubt it will.

But I voted for Mirror's Edge.

http://i.minus.com/ixZ0GQ0bRB2M7.gif

#8 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5272 posts) -

Bioshock for sure.

#9 Posted by AlexW00d (6198 posts) -

Bioshock was one of the worst games I played last year, 6 hours of me wandering around wondering why people ever gave a shit about it. The story is shitty too.

Mirror's Edge on the other hand was fun, looked amazing, and tried new things. So that gets my vote.

#10 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Mirror's Edge is one of my favourite games. I've come back to it multiple times. It looks great and nothing else is anywhere close to being like it.

Bioshock is only ok at best.

edit: based on what I know about this community, I'm finding it increasingly easier to predict how this entire GOTG is going to go.

#11 Posted by AMyggen (2610 posts) -

I loved part of Mirror's Edge, especially how it looks. But it never delivered on the promise of the world it set up, and the parts where you had to fight dudes killed the game's momentum so bad.

Bioshock was a bit overhyped, but you can't go wrong with the world building in that game, and the atmosphere. Bioshock it is, by a mile.

#12 Edited by probablytuna (3550 posts) -

@theht: I keep expecting a skyhook to appear and attach itself to a rail when I see that gif repeat.

#13 Posted by Gamer_152 (14058 posts) -

It's gotta be Bioshock for me. Mirror's Edge was beautiful and when that free-running worked it was really exhilarating, but it also had its fair share of problems. Mostly it ran into a lot of the issues you'd expect to find with a first-person platformer. Bioshock on the other hand was an all-round amazing experience. That world and that story were so fantastically laid out and it was touching territory that few video games before had trodden into.

#14 Edited by TheHT (10933 posts) -

@theht: I keep expecting a skyhook to appear and attach itself to a rail when I see that gif repeat.

Oh man, I wish. I don't get vertigo or anything like that from games, but falling to your death in Mirror's Edge always made me uncomfortable.

#15 Posted by gkhan (417 posts) -

Mirror's Edge is great, but it ain't BioShock. Very few things, besides BioShock, is.

#16 Edited by hans_maulwurf (120 posts) -

ME gotta be one of the most innovative games this gen. You do awesome things movement wise, and you actually feel like you have full control and not just like you're triggering cool looking animations. Having played time trials quite extensively I can also say that the levels aren't nearly as confined and linear as they might seem - the openness comes from finding the fastest/most reliable out of several ways past an obstacle. It also looks real good and has the best first person hugging scene I know of. Had they just done all the cutscenes in engine I wouldn't have any complaints about that game.

Bioshock, of course, is also a fun game, but at the end of the day it's a real good fps, along with a whole bunch of other games, no more and no less. So my vote goes to ME.

#17 Posted by GunstarRed (5047 posts) -

I don't really understand why Mirror's Edge is on the list to be honest. This seems like a totally unfair poll in that Bioshock is unable to lose.

#18 Edited by mosespippy (4051 posts) -

Mirror's Edge tried something different and it's failure in the marketplace has lead to companies keeping to their formulas. I disliked Mirror's Edge as much as the next guy until I figured out how to actually play it. Now I think it's a masterpiece. I still occasionally play through it on a random afternoon. People who complain about the combat are playing with the wrong mindset. There are only two places where you need to use combat; you don't ever need to fire a gun. Most people play with the usual action adventure mindset of kill everything that moves. It's kind of fucked up that that is the default mindset for video games.

#19 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1631 posts) -

I picked mirror's edge mostly because I know it would have fewer votes. That game was pretty great guys!

#20 Posted by Soap (3570 posts) -

Everyone who voted for Bioshock is wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I love it. But Mirrors Edge...

#21 Posted by me3639 (1732 posts) -

Did i miss something, neither Rayman Games were considered? Wow.

#22 Edited by EuanDewar (4791 posts) -

I adore Mirrors Edge but am under no delusions as to who is gonna win the majority vote on this one

#23 Posted by Phatmac (5723 posts) -

Mirror's Edge would be a great game if it didn't have guns in it. Bioshock is a great game that still holds up. My vote goes to Bioshock.

#24 Posted by DrZing (73 posts) -

Tough choice, but I voted for Mirror's Edge because of the atmosphere and soundtrack. Solar Fields!

#25 Posted by Karkarov (3008 posts) -

Voting Bioshock but in all honesty I won't be supporting it against many games. Mirror's Edge was good but flawed in many ways still deserved to get farther than round one.

#26 Edited by Gatehouse (582 posts) -

If Mirrors Edge had been more like it's first few levels for the entirety of it (i.e fast platforming without all that stupid combat), then I would have voted for it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, it's not.

#27 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Mirror's Edge is a better game in my opinion, but Bioshock blows it out of the water with its fully-realized world.

#28 Posted by Abendlaender (2768 posts) -

I just voted for Mirror's Edge cause I know it has no chance. Also I liked it more then Bioshock. Come at me!

#29 Edited by BeachThunder (11724 posts) -

;__; BioShock is one of my favourite games ever. But I have to vote Mirror's Edge; I love Mirror's Edge and I have a desire to vote for the underdog >_>

#30 Posted by nick_verissimo (1380 posts) -

I really loved Mirror's Edge when I finally got to play it, but I just have these amazing memories of staying up all night before I left university playing BioShock and having my mind expanded by that game. I hadn't really ever played something like that game before and it really stuck with me. Had to vote for BioShock, but damn was that tougher than I thought.

#31 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

More like Bioboring, am I right?

#32 Posted by Demoskinos (14591 posts) -

@grissefar: No, in fact my good fellow you are the opposite of correct. I do say Im truly sorry for your lack of skill in deciphering the genius of such a marvelous electronic entertainment product such as Bioshock. I hope your deductive skills do improve in the future sir. And may you have an excellent day today .

#33 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

The beginning of Bioshock was better than the whole of Mirror's Edge.

#34 Edited by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

@grissefar: No, in fact my good fellow you are the opposite of correct. I do say Im truly sorry for your lack of skill in deciphering the genius of such a marvelous electronic entertainment product such as Bioshock. I hope your deductive skills do improve in the future sir. And may you have an excellent day today .

Really think you're wrong there, brah.

#35 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3758 posts) -

Bioshock was more important... but I don't like it as much as many people do. I loved what Mirrors Edge did. It's still an amazing idea for a game so I'm very glad there will be a sequel. I also think Bioshock Infinite was a much better take on the formula.

So I vote ME knowing I'm going to lose.

#36 Posted by Village_Guy (2507 posts) -

Bioshock was decent, it had great atmosphere and an okay story, but the gameplay was lacking in my opinion.

On the other hand we have the beautiful Mirror's Edge with awesome gameplay and a bad story.

Mirror's Edge gets my vote no doubt. Bioshock had a few moments that I really liked, while I loved the entire ride Mirror's Edge gave me.

#37 Posted by Castiel (2540 posts) -

These are two very different and odd games to compare to each other.

Well I know Bioshock is going to win, so I'm going to vote ME, and I liked ME btw so this isn't just some sympathy vote. Also I never found the first Bioshock as interesting as everyone else.

#38 Posted by Animasta (14651 posts) -

I found bioshock boring so Mirror's Edge

#39 Posted by McLargepants (362 posts) -

Well this is easy. Mirror's Edge was an awesome concept that didn't quite come together. Bioshock was Bioshock, so I think it wins! I don't think many more of these will be that easy.

#40 Posted by Guesty_01 (339 posts) -

Bioshock. A defining game of the generation.

#41 Posted by Atlas (2431 posts) -

I thought that Mirror's Edge was all mouth and no trousers; a beautiful looking and unique game that was utterly killed by its clunky controls and level design that was alternated between confined and unfocused.

BioShock, in contrast, is a masterpiece. It's mysterious, tense, incredibly atmospheric, totally immersive, gorgeous, both visually and aurally, and a ton of fun.

#42 Posted by TurboMan (7426 posts) -

Mirror's Edge, I love you, but there's no excuse for that awful/forced combat in the late game.

Plus, Bioshock is amazing.

#43 Posted by TobbRobb (4581 posts) -

Cmon sheeple, Mirror's edge is the right choice here.

#44 Edited by Robsamuel (62 posts) -

Bioshock is the obvious answer, I just like Mirrors Edge a whole lot more.

#45 Posted by Pr1mus (3824 posts) -

Mirror's Edge has a couple neat levels early on and then it goes to shit. Bioshock is shit right from the start. What and uninteresting vote... Mirror's Edge it is.

#46 Posted by Nictel (2386 posts) -

Mirror's Edge, cause it's awesome.

#47 Edited by SunBroZak (1032 posts) -

Minus the lame ending, clunky combat and how easy it was to break that game's difficulty, I loved Bioshock.

Minus the cool aesthetic, and the neat parkour mechanics, I really didn't like Mirror's Edge.

So Bioshock it is.

#48 Posted by yinstarrunner (1182 posts) -

Ugh... you're tearing me apart. I love Mirror's Edge a hell of a lot, I still replay it all the time to try and better my time trial scores...

But Bioshock... I mean, if we're talking about sheer influence and bravado, then it just HAS to be Bioshock.

#49 Edited by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Mirror's Edge had fantastic ideas but the execution fumbled around too much. BioShock had fantastic gameplay, an incredibly unique setting, an incredible cast of characters. It's just an unfair match up.

#50 Posted by Slax (894 posts) -
@deranged said:

Mirror's Edge had fantastic ideas but the execution fumbled around too much. BioShock had fantastic gameplay, an incredibly unique setting, an incredible cast of characters. It's just an unfair match up.

This is exactly how I feel.