• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by mracoon (4972 posts) 10 months, 20 days ago

Poll: GotG Round 1: Burnout Paradise vs. Forza Motorsport 3 (564 votes)

Burnout Paradise 81%
Forza Motorsport 3 19%

Main thread

Full bracket

Arcade takes on simulation in the battle of the driving games.

Burnout Paradise (2008)

What the community has to say:

Burnout changes the formula and raises the bar for free roaming racing games. Every aspect is so seamless that you will just be focusing on the great action and responsive controls. Even if you don't like racing games you should still give this game shot. Some games have tried this open ended design for racing but Burnout has finally perfected it.

From user review by @mko619

Forza Motorsport 3 (2009)

What the community has to say:

If you are a hardcore racing simulation fan there is enough here to keep you going for years, but at the same time Turn 10 have carefully balanced the experience as the a different level of fun can be had for someone who just likes cars and does not live and breathe them. Forza Motorsport 3 is a truly amazing; you could say it is Va Va Voom.

From user review by @bloodeffect

Voting closes at midnight GMT / 4pm PST Monday.

#1 Posted by weegieanawrench (1940 posts) -

TAKE. ME. HOME.

#2 Edited by awesomeusername (4193 posts) -

Burnout is in the lead and better stay in the lead. Personally one of my favorites of this gen.

#3 Posted by mrfluke (5193 posts) -

burnout paradise easily.

hope we see this style of racer in this new generation

#4 Posted by Demoskinos (14878 posts) -

Man, your all so wrong. Forza 3 was goddamn amazing. Burnout was a snooze fest. Yay we can crash cars too bad the actual racing part of it sucks balls.

#5 Posted by Falconer (1691 posts) -

As someone who plays Forza almost every week for the past few years, Burnout wins this by a Vettel. (see what I did there?)

#6 Posted by mikey87144 (1781 posts) -

Burnout. The games only crime was no crash mode, other than that it was fantastic.

#7 Posted by jamesyfx (69 posts) -

Forza 3 was a really fun game, but after a couple of years I don't want to come back to it. With Burnout Paradise I'm always finding myself loading it up for a brief run every now and again.. it's still pretty fun. :)

#8 Posted by Nasar7 (2703 posts) -

Neither?

#9 Posted by Flappy (2276 posts) -

Man, your all so wrong. Forza 3 was goddamn amazing. Burnout was a snooze fest. Yay we can crash cars too bad the actual racing part of it sucks balls.

Poor Demo. You're one of the people that can't seem to catch a break with these poll results.

#10 Edited by Trace (3561 posts) -

As a person who's been running Forza Race Night for over four years now, Burnout Paradise is the correct choice.

#11 Edited by JadeGL (883 posts) -

Hey! Hey! You! You! I don't like your girlfriend!

Is it obvious which one I picked? :)

I really enjoyed both, though I suck at driving games, but I had more pure fun with Burnout Paradise.

#12 Posted by Demoskinos (14878 posts) -

@flappy: I'm used to it honestly. My game tastes are well, very niche in most cases. Like, I have a real soft spot for fucking Bulletwitch of all things. So the popular thing being the thing that I'm not a fan of Isn't a real shock for me honestly. =p

#13 Posted by TheHT (11376 posts) -

@nasar7 said:

Neither?

Haha... yeah.

#14 Posted by Nasar7 (2703 posts) -

@flappy: I'm used to it honestly. My game tastes are well, very niche in most cases. Like, I have a real soft spot for fucking Bulletwitch of all things. So the popular thing being the thing that I'm not a fan of Isn't a real shock for me honestly. =p

FWIW, I don't get the Burnout love either. I just don't happen to think Forza 3 is GotG material either.

#15 Edited by RetroVirus (1476 posts) -

Hey hey you you...

#16 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

Hey hey you you...

It's got the song of the decade so that means it is the game of the decade. Obviously.

We're done here folks.

#17 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Oh man, Burnout Paradise was brilliant but aside from the open world, it was pretty stale IMO. Forza allowed for me to customize my dream car and the tracks were absolutely gorgeous.

#18 Posted by EXTomar (4765 posts) -

Burnout Paradise is probably the best arcade racer I've played in quite awhile let alone any generation.

#19 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5592 posts) -

No contest in my book.

Take me home to the paradise city!

#20 Posted by captain_clayman (3322 posts) -

Burnout Paradise is the best arcade racer of this gen. Forza 3 was great, but Forza 4 is much better. Forza 4 vs. Gran Turismo 5 is a good comparison.

#21 Edited by Karkarov (3133 posts) -

Yeah Forza is the better racing game, yeah it is probably going to lose anyway. I still voted for it.

#22 Posted by Three0neFive (2294 posts) -

I actually found a lot of things about Burnout Paradise really frustrating - like the changes to traffic checking, the completely inconsistent vehicle frailty and having to pause almost every time you take a turn to make sure it's the right one because checking the minimap is a death sentence - but it's still a hell of a game.

#23 Posted by Castiel (2637 posts) -

I really enjoyed Burnout Paradise back in the day, even though I eventually burned out on it... and I have never played a Forza game.

I chose Burnout.

#24 Posted by RetroVirus (1476 posts) -

@retrovirus said:

Hey hey you you...

It's got the song of the decade so that means it is the game of the decade. Obviously.

We're done here folks.

Agreed.

#25 Edited by BaconGames (3444 posts) -

I liked Burnout Paradise but I came to kind of loathe it by the time I was done with it. Granted I played it after all the online shenanigans were kinda gone but sticking to single-player led to a lot of tedium just driving around the city just to get to the next race which would just be that same street race for the 5th time. I had fun with it as my first Burnout game but all it really made me want is a proper Burnout with crash mode and none of the open-world stuff that got really stale by the end.

So yeah, fuck DJ Atomica, Forza 3 *throws up two middle fingers toward the sky intended for DJ Atomica*

#26 Posted by ThunderSlash (1752 posts) -

You can do so much better.

#27 Posted by Demoskinos (14878 posts) -

@nasar7: It might be in a top 50 list for me. Burnout wouldn't even chart at all.

#28 Posted by Sterling (2360 posts) -

Since Forza 4 was a much better game than 3 I guess Burnout takes it by default.

#29 Edited by Milkman (16846 posts) -

No debate.

#30 Posted by Pr1mus (3934 posts) -

@jadegl said:

Hey! Hey! You! You! I don't like your girlfriend!

Not fair! I wanted to say it first...

#31 Edited by Trilogy (2657 posts) -

Believe it or not, I never really liked burnout paradise. It's really well made, and I want to like it, but every time I try to get into it, I find it really difficult to find out where the hell I'm going during the races/events. I had more fun with previous Burnout paradise entries. Forza 3 was fantasic. I'm sort of over sim racers at this point, but at the time it hit all the right notes for me.

#32 Edited by MonetaryDread (2040 posts) -

I voted for Burnout.

Forza 3 has a great driving model, but the progression system in that game was fucked. I cannot stand any game with an auto-levelling mechanic, and unfortunately, Forza 3 has one of the worst balanced progression systems out there. The game is always giving you new cars and this makes saving up for a new car almost useless. Upgrading a car is useless because, every time you make your car faster, your opponents become faster. Then most races seem to adapt to the style of car that you prefer driving, and that screws over the variety in the game.

#33 Posted by tumbell (17 posts) -

For someone that doesn't give a damn about racing games, i had the most fun with the Burnout series, so my vote goes to that.

#34 Posted by Kain55 (129 posts) -

I really, really, really dislike racing around in Burnout Paradise. It always feels as if I'm losing because I chose the wrong route or vice versa, and I find that to be a terrible way to create a racing game. This also comes from a bit of resentment due to the fact that I love the shit out of every other Burnout game and could never get past an hour or two of Paradise. I also think Forza 3 is awesome.

#35 Edited by DrStrangepork (142 posts) -

This is a tough one but Burnout Paradise gets the vote even with DJ Atomika.

#36 Edited by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

Take me down to the Paradise City where the grass is green and the girls are pretty!

#37 Edited by Vanick (332 posts) -

Burnout Paradise was my favorite racing game of this gen. I played the hell out of Forza 3 but I had way more fun playing Paradise.

#38 Posted by Ramone (2972 posts) -

I didn't really get the love for Burnout Paradise. I mean, it's good, but it didn't feel particularly special to me.

Forza 3, on the other hand, is a fantastic game.

#39 Edited by Gatehouse (633 posts) -

I love Burnout, but I played so much Forza 3 that I had almost every circuit memorised and the behaviour of every car I liked became like second nature to me.

#40 Posted by Levius (1142 posts) -

Paradise was a significant step down from Takedown and Revenge, and is probably my disappointment of the generation, so by default Forza.

#41 Posted by Danteveli (1187 posts) -

Burnout

#42 Posted by endoworks (288 posts) -

Burnout could be the dark horse of this whole competition :)

#43 Posted by mracoon (4972 posts) -

Avril Lavigne vs. Guns N' Roses may have been a closer fight than this is turning out to be.

#44 Posted by Nasar7 (2703 posts) -

@milkman said:

No debate.

Every language. Flawless victory.

#45 Edited by Krataur (365 posts) -

Burnout Paradise is an inferior game in one of my favorite arcade racing series ever.

And no one listened to me in the main topic when I said to replace Forza 3 with Forza 4 in the bracket, one of the best games of this generation that was everything Forza 3 wanted to be, but wasn't.

So between these two good, not great, racing games, I'll go with Forza 3 since it's the closest I'll be able to get to voting Forza 4. Not that it matters, since Giant Bomb is in love with Burnout Paradise for some reason (that reason being Vinny and his editing skills).

#46 Posted by BisonHero (6565 posts) -

Do you think Burnout Paradise is somehow just the perfect storm in appealing to Jeff's tastes in racing games, or does he regard it so highly because it was a game he played a lot during the period after he got fired, so he didn't have to play it for review and had the time to just get real deep into doing all of the stuff Paradise has you do, just for the fun of it?

Could any other reasonably fun game have taken the role of Burnout Paradise, if Jeff had been fired from Gamespot earlier or later? If the GB crew talks about Game of the Generation on this year's GotY podcast, I feel like Jeff will almost certainly nominate Burnout Paradise.

#47 Edited by Captain_Felafel (1573 posts) -

I wonder what the decision was to put Forza 3 up for a vote instead of Forza 4.

#48 Posted by EXTomar (4765 posts) -

For some it seems like an argument between Madden 93 and Mutant League Football.

#49 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Paradise was so boring.

#50 Posted by Church069 (250 posts) -

Which is the better game, Forza. Which game has broader appeal and will win this round, Burnout. I guess "Game of the Generation" takes into account influence and impact the game had, rather than just the quality of the game itself. Forza 4 is the better game, but Forza 3 is the one being voted on. The ideas from Burnout Paradise have been improved upon in the later Need for Speed games, but Burnout still stands out as a favorite in the community.