GotG Round 1: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare vs. Dead Space

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Poll GotG Round 1: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare vs. Dead Space (694 votes)

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 65%
Dead Space 35%

Main thread

Full bracket

Round 1 is down the final four matches and they're some big names still to come, like these two.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007)

What the community has to say:

Call of Duty 4 is possibly the greatest game to come out in recent years and offers some of the best multiplayer seen in any shooter. The game's campaign is fairly short, but what you experience is still more than what many other games offer. Call of Duty's plot is very engaging and action packed, never letting up at one moment. Combined with the amazing online multiplayer and a gripping single player campaign, Call of Duty 4 is one of the best games of this generation.

From user review by @breadfan

Dead Space (2008)

What the community has to say:

All in all, Dead Space is one of the best games I have played in years. From the pitch-perfect controls, excellent weapon design, gripping atmosphere and constantly dynamic gameplay mechanics, I was always enthralled by Isaac's mission and kept with it until the very end. For any fan of action games, this is a must-play.

From user review by @rhcpfan24

Voting closes at midnight GMT / 4pm PST Thursday.

• 
davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

This is a pretty good one. I supposed if you're basing it on the most influential game then it would have to go to Modern Warfare. But if we're going with what game I liked the most... umm...

Dead Space I guess?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I really love Dead Space but the importance (and not to mention just how goddamn good it was) of Call of Duty 4 can't be denied. I sunk a TON of hours into the multiplayer which is something I never do.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Clearly Call of Duty 4 is incomprehensibly huge to this generation of games and I know it will, and probably should, win but hey I liked Dead Space a lot so I'll vote for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I may not like Call of Duty or the effect it has on the industry but COD4 was crazy good at the time.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Call of Duty 4 basically is this generation of games.

Short, but tightly paced and action packed campaign along with a multi-player mode built around leveling up to unlock stuff.

That is modern games.

(I voted for Dead Space.)

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Mw/mw2 were a blast of fun

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#7  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I like Dead Space just fine (I'm more of a Dead Space 2 guy), but Call of Duty 4 is one of the most influential games of this generation.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Coafi

I devoted probably a year to playing Call of Duty 4, it was one of my first multiplayer experiences. A lot of fun times were had.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Dear Dead Space,

I love you, even though you squandered your potential.

Sincerely, BeachThunder

Avatar image for deactivated-5998b7e12fabb
deactivated-5998b7e12fabb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Call of Duty 4. Great game with news twists to a lot of conventions and an amazing multiplayer. COD4 was very influential, fun and innovative in some ways. It's a shame that a lot of shooters would try to copy it and make a lot of shooters feel the same, but that can't be blamed on COD4. Easily wins this bracket.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By nightriff

I prefer Dead Space but both are excellent games

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For better or (mostly) worse, MW is the most influential game of this gen. It was also amazing at the time. Top 10 game of the gen for me.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Call of Duty 4 is my game of the generation and it wasn't even a little bit difficult to choose so every polls with it in will be pretty easy.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14  Edited By Giantstalker

This isn't even a debate as far as I'm concerned. It's gotta go to MW.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Spoonman671

I don't think I can choose.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

While I think Dead Space is certainly one of the generations best, Call of Duty consumed my life for almost a year. Easy choice.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

COD 4. Still one of the best multiplayer games of all time even though 1/4 of the players are hackers. The campaign is also pretty damn good, especially the "All Ghillied Up" mission.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheHT

Dead Space was a neat third-person survival shooter, with some interesting dismemberment and zero-g mechanics.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare became the online multiplayer console game. For years and years and interations and iterations.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, so Call of Duty 4 is infinitely more influential in that like every damn shooter to come after it has copied it, and Dead Space is kind of just Resident Evil 4 in space, but I wonder how many spite votes Dead Space will get.

I really can't see any justification for voting for Dead Space. I really like that game, but horror action games A) didn't define this generation and are relatively few and far between, and B) aren't as insanely influential as Call of Duty became.

EricSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Call of Duty 4 may be my favorite game ever made. Loved the campaign enough to beat it 3-4 times (including once a couple months back), and put roughly 30 days of time into the multiplayer.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hockeymask27

Cod 4 is right up there with Socom 2 of games that were just a part of my life.

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Dead Space 1 and 2 are probably among my very top games of this gen. I'm sad to see it lose, but MW is this generation for true.

buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By buneroid

Man you crazy motherf'ers voting for Dead Space what's wrong with you? So many hours spent with CoD4. So many good times. Created the blueprint for most multiplayer shooters to come (to the point of exhaustion).

Dead Space was a solid third person RE4 type shooter. It was cool but CoD4 gives me a boner all day.

Edit: also I forgot to mention the single player was no joke. Super cinematic. Remember that nuke oh baby. Now that so many CoD games and games like it have come out it might seem boring, but remember CoD4 was the first of the bunch. Never forget your first time.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By csl316

I know it's easy to hate on CoD, but when I first played Modern Warfare it blew my damn mind. Still one of the strongest campaigns, I think. And it's the only one I played multiplayer on (2 was all Spec Ops).

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm voting for Dead Space just because I personally prefer the game and love the series (even 3, which I prefer to 2), but Call of Duty 4 deserves to win this poll considering the gigantic impact it had on the industry.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheHT

@buneroid said:
Edit: also I forgot to mention the single player was no joke. Super cinematic. Remember that nuke oh baby. Now that so many CoD games and games like it have come out it might seem boring, but remember CoD4 was the first of the bunch. Never forget your first time.

No kidding.

The boat, the nuke, the AC-130, the ghillie suits, the final shot. Oh, and Air Force One. Unforgettable.

buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By buneroid

@theht said:

@buneroid said:

No kidding.

The boat, the nuke, the AC-130, the ghillie suits, the final shot. Oh, and Air Force One. Unforgettable.

Yes. Also forgot to say one of the few games (or series) to run at a silky smooth 60 fps. OK I'm done now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dead Space is really fucking good, you guys.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love dead space, but CoD4 should probably win this entire thing.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

Dead Space was incred .

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ThunderSlash

Chose Dead Space because I got way into the fiction after completing it. And then played it again like 5 10 more times over the course of 2 or so years. The sound design in that game is incredible. Modern Warfare was pretty great too (All Ghillied Up was nuuuuuuuts), I just missed out on the multiplayer.

rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Call of Duty 4 was both incredibly influential, AND one of the most fun experiences I had on this generation of consoles.

Even if it doesn't the top award, if deserves to be up there a lot more than some other games. I liked Dead Space a whole lot, but if it's one or the other, it seems I have but one choice.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canteu said:

I love dead space, but CoD4 should probably win this entire thing.

Yeah, it set a standard that nearly any game with a gun tried to adopt, plus it more than anything led to XP systems being in damn near every game just for the fuck of it. It's crazy how much this entire generation was changed by CoD 4.

Come to think of it, what was last generation's "Game of the Generation"? I really can't think of something in the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox gen that everything so clearly revolved around the way it did with CoD 4. I can think of some great games that were ultimately sort of just interesting oddities that in no way influenced anything but their own series (MGS2, Wind Waker, Metroid Prime), and I guess Halo was a pretty big deal that resulted in...some clones and ushered in regenerating health as a standard, but I swear Half-Life 2 had almost as many clones. Final Fantasy X came out and was probably the last FF to really ride the wave of JRPG popularity that the Playstation created. Maybe GTA 3/San Andreas was game of the generation? God of War?

I'm going with either Half-Life 2, Halo, or GTA, but really no idea which.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I remembered being wowed by the COD4's singleplayer, got like half way through it, gave multiplayer a try, and didn't get back to the singleplayer for weeks because of how great that MP was.

Can't think of another game that caught me so off-guard with how great it was this gen, let alone twice.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Ok this is tough. COD4 multiplayer was huge for me. I even enjoyed the single player. "All Ghillied Up" is iconic. Dead space was a big surprise for me . I actually put off playing it until 2010, because it never looked appealing to me. I was wrong about that one. What a fantastic game. Cutting up necromorphs was so fucking satisfying. The mood was also superb.

I don't know which to pick here...

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Both of these games did some damn great things. I voted for Dead Space because it made me change my mind on the horror genre, though it was a hard choice.

Avatar image for ronindrummer200
ronindrummer200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By ronindrummer200

They have been making call of duty 4 for YEARS! I loved it when it first came out. I was part of the problem. We all were.... This was all our fault. We bought 4.... we bought the next and the next and the next. That is not 4 ' s fault though. That is ours. I still love 4 as much as I love CoD:UO.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CoD4 was so good they decided to remake it half a dozen times.

Dead space was a good game that they "actioned up" the sequels to draw in the "CoD crowd".

How is this a question? Love it or hate it. CoD4 is an amazing damn game and shouldn't be overlooked out of bias. If its not a finalist something is wrong. I'm not even a call of duty guy either.

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly CoD 4 should win the whole tournament, it is no doubt this gen's most influential game.

Kain55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the shit out of Dead Space. That game is insanely good, and I enjoyed every second of it. On the other hand CoD is also very, very good, and is probably by far the most influential game of this generation. However, my vote goes with my heart and I choose Dead Space. Call of Duty 4 should probably win this though.

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I REALLY love both of these games but I gotta give the edge to CoD4. It pretty much single-handedly made me interested in FPS multiplayer genre and it's still by far the best game in the series. Dead Space is a great atmospheric shooter but it did not have the impact on me and games this generation like CoD4 did.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#TEAMBRAD

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's weird because in some of these I'm choosing favorites and others are what I think is the "right" choice. CoD4 is the "right" choice because of how impactful it has been for shooters.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It’s such a shame that Dead Space has to come up against this. I loved my time on the Ishimura, but Call Of Duty 4 is so damn good I can’t not vote for it. Too many awesome matches online with my trusty MP5.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I can't comment on COD4, because I rented it and played maybe an hour of the campaign and zero multiplayer. But Dead Space deserves kudos for how incredible it was. A bold new IP with a unique atmosphere and incredibly solid mechanics, I thought it was one of the best designed games of the generation. Story wasn't much to write home about, but some of the battles were very memorable. It's a survivor horror without shitty controls; it's an action game that has suspense and (ironically) atmosphere; it's a space game that fully captures just how fucking terrifying space is.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By LackingSaint

@bisonhero said:

Alright, so Call of Duty 4 is infinitely more influential in that like every damn shooter to come after it has copied it, and Dead Space is kind of just Resident Evil 4 in space, but I wonder how many spite votes Dead Space will get.

I really can't see any justification for voting for Dead Space. I really like that game, but horror action games A) didn't define this generation and are relatively few and far between, and B) aren't as insanely influential as Call of Duty became.

Here's my justification: I had more fun playing Dead Space than I did CoD 4.

This is probably the only first round pairing I think is really shitty. Even if it wasn't super-influential in design, Dead Space is still a great series that really jumps out at me when I think about this generation. Putting it against a game it's clearly not going to beat in the first round don't seem right.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

This is the toughest fight in the whole first bracket for me. But I think it has to go to CoD4. I played an entire prestige of that game a couple of years back (just prior to the MW3 launch) and it still held up. I poured hours of time into splitscreen multiplayer, and almost as much into the online. And that's without going into the single player - which I started playing through again on PC two days ago, and is still outstanding.

That said, Dead Space is a huge contender, and I hope there's some way for it to come back in a "loser's bracket" (I've forgotten exactly what system was going to be used) because I'd still rank it above almost every other game in this bracket. It may have been largely an amalgamation of other popular horror titles, but they combined to form so much more than the sum of their parts. Absolutely the definitive horror-action title of the generation if you ask me, and it only really loses out because that isn't a genre I take to very well. And yet I still adored this game, and it's sequels.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By JesusHammer

While I hate what Call of Duty has become Modern Warfare was the last CoD I remember actually fully liking and not just having so many beefs with. So I guess that's the choice. Dead Space is great, but Dead Space 2 was way better than the first.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Nekroskop

CoD4 is maybe a better game, but it ultimately ruined most FPS games(for me) this generation with it's influence.