• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by mracoon (4978 posts) 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: GotG Round 1: Dark Souls vs. Spelunky (809 votes)

Dark Souls 81%
Spelunky 19%

Main thread

Full bracket

This is upsetting. My favourite Game of the Generation is going to go out in the very first match-up.

Dark Souls (2011)

What the community has to say:

I could go on and on about how fantastic this game is with its surreal yet grounded environments and perfect mixture of Japanese and medieval inspirations while it somehow still has the game mechanics through character customization and nearly flawless technical aspects of physics and contact information between character tokens, but I quite frankly want to quit writing this review and start playing the game again.

From user review by terramantis

Spelunky (2009/2012)

What the community has to say:

At the end of the day, Spelunky is a finely crafted game that while difficult and occasionally bordering on the abusive, gives a sense of accomplishment that is unlike almost anything I have experienced in recent memory. Accomplishing things in Spelunky after failing miserably and finally learning from your mistakes, really feels like something worth bragging about. This is what kept me coming back to Spelunky after dozens and dozens of hours of playing the same four tile sets over and over again. Spelunky is a game that isn't afraid to let you fail. It does not coddle you, in an attempt to have you live out a power fantasy at every moment, but that is what makes it special and rewarding for anyone who takes the time to explore the mines, jungles, ice caves and temples of Spelunky.

From user review by erinisadrunk

Voting closes at 12pm GMT / 4am PST Saturday.

#1 Posted by ThunderSlash (1953 posts) -

Sorry Spelunky, I like you and all... but Dark Souls.

#2 Posted by EuanDewar (5098 posts) -

Yup, I think Spelunky is an ingenious game and brilliant fun but I gotta give it to Dark Souls, man. Solid gold pukka shit, one of my favourites.

#3 Posted by crithon (3441 posts) -

am i alone when I cringe when I think of the relationship between spelunky and spelunker? that game has a long legacy of disaster.

there are better 2d platformers in this past generation then spelunky

#4 Edited by probablytuna (3822 posts) -

Darks Souls gets my vote without a doubt.

#5 Edited by Juzie (168 posts) -

Both awesome games but Dark Souls via slaughter.

#6 Posted by MEATBALL (3473 posts) -

Man this is a rough draw. I gave the vote to Spelunky because I've spent more time enjoying Spelunky than I have Dark Souls (which I really need to go back and give another try at some point) - Dark Souls does seem the right choice here, though.

#7 Posted by mosespippy (4441 posts) -

Looks like Spelunky tried to fight the Asylum Demon on it's first go around. It's not going to end well.

#8 Posted by Bollard (5841 posts) -

Dark Souls vs Spelunky... Fair matchup. Also they are barely related!

#9 Posted by TheHT (11777 posts) -

Oh man, Dark Souls handily. Spelunky is good fun, but Dark Souls devoured my nights.

#10 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

I fail to see the connection between these two games.

#11 Edited by Demoskinos (15141 posts) -

I think the more apt vote really should be Dark vs Demons souls right there you've got a divisive match. I fail to see how spelunky would qualify on a top 100 of the generation list. Its good but when were talking best of every game since 2005....

#12 Edited by Gatehouse (709 posts) -

Oh Dark Souls, I once mocked you, now I love you.

#13 Posted by mracoon (4978 posts) -

For the first round at least I tried to get similar game match-up but that wasn't always possible. Anyway, the further we go along the crazier the match-ups are going to be, you've got to decide for yourself how pick between to totally different types of games.

#14 Edited by forkboy (1174 posts) -

Spelunky is a fun game. Dark Souls? Nah son.

#15 Posted by Vanick (332 posts) -

Dark Souls is one of my favorite games of any generation.

#16 Edited by golguin (4044 posts) -

There are only a few games this generation that would cause me to think about voting against Dark Souls since it's one of the best games ever. Spelunky is not one of those games.

Edit: Just looked at the full bracket and those are some crazy match ups right from the start. Half the games on the list I don't give a shit about and the other half are directly matched against each other.

#17 Posted by Chaser324 (6743 posts) -

I think both games are great, but I'm throwing my vote at Spelunky because it deserves the respect and I know it has no chance of winning this matchup.

#18 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5985 posts) -

I absolutely adore both games, but Dark souls by a mile. In fact, Dark Souls has a very strong chance of being my favorite game of this generation.

#19 Posted by Ramone (2976 posts) -

Spelunky, I'm sorry man. I fucking love you but I had to go with Dark Souls.

#20 Edited by AMyggen (3635 posts) -

Ah, I really loved Spelunky, but Dark Souls is easily one of my favourite games this gen (second behind RDR, if I had to pick). So Dark Souls all day, every day.

#21 Posted by gkhan (488 posts) -

God dammit, I fucking love Spelunky. Pitting it against Dark Souls is a cruel injustice, that game deserved to win at least one round.

But fine. Whatever. Dark Souls.

#22 Posted by mracoon (4978 posts) -

Here's my plea/eulogy for Spelunky:

It's a perfect game. It has a core ruleset which everything in the game adheres to. Once you've figured out the rules then you truly appreciate the depth the game has. I've played it for nearly 100 hours now across two platforms and I've yet to get the true ending or even discover most of the secret that game has to offer. It can be an unfair experience at times but that's part of the fun. When you pull off an epic dodge and, against all the odds, manage to escape a level then you get an incredible feeling. Basically, everything you like about Dark Souls in a 2D platformer with better music.

#23 Posted by TheHT (11777 posts) -
@mracoon said:

Basically, everything you like about Dark Souls in a 2D platformer with better music.

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/John-Cena-Not-Bad.gif

#24 Posted by Phatmac (5727 posts) -

Spelunky is an incredible game as it has that Super Meat Boy like quality of constantly making me keep playing it despite how difficult it can be. I haven't played Dark Souls and I probably won't considering that it doesn't look like something I'd enjoy. I'll vote for Spelunky knowing that it has no chance of winning.

#25 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1669 posts) -

Dark souls man, no question! This one was a no brainer for me. I've sunk a good many hours into spelunky, but I've sunk faaaaaar more into dark souls.

#26 Posted by Karkarov (3273 posts) -

Well this is a great way to start. The real question is when this match up came randomly (I figure it would be random?) why didn't you just shake your head in pity and auto advance Dark Souls to the next round?

#27 Posted by Demoskinos (15141 posts) -

@mracoon: But does it have a huge fucked up dragon who's entire torso is one large gaping maw? I think not!

#28 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

A real Sophie's Choice here but I'm going to have to go with Dark Souls. I love Spelunky and all but Dark Souls sucked me in deep.

#29 Posted by BeachThunder (12410 posts) -

Poor Spelunky. I played an insane version of the original PC version around the time of its original release.

#30 Posted by McLargepants (394 posts) -

Spelunky is a phenomenal game, but it's Dark Souls! If I had to chose one game off the top of my head to win this thing, it's Dark Souls.

#31 Posted by TurboMan (7726 posts) -

Dark Souls and Spelunky are both great because of their challenge and depth, they both create a countless number of stories for people to share with each other about their experiences.

But can you play Dark Souls forever? No. In Spelunky, the randomly generated worlds gives you an endless amount of new gameplay to explore.

Is the Giant Bomb community seriously going to allow a game with awful framerate issues beat a perfectly packaged 2D side-scroller that runs at a crisp, smooth, and elagent 60 frames per second? Shame on you, Giant Bomb Community, Shame on you.

Don't make the wrong decision again, Giant Bomb Community. Vote Spelunky.

#32 Posted by Nasar7 (2795 posts) -

This should really be Dark vs Demon's, in which case I'd vote for Demon's.

#33 Edited by jkz (4058 posts) -

Sorry Spelunky, I love you, but Dark Souls is an indelible achievement, and is probably the game I've gone back to most this gen; probably the game I'll come back to most past this gen, as well. Well, it and Demon's Souls, but I'm not here to have that discussion.

#34 Edited by CaLe (4052 posts) -

Spelunky did absolutely nothing for me. It's one of the few games I regret allowing the hype to get the better of me. Just... boring.

#35 Edited by NegativeCero (3039 posts) -

Not even a close choice. Dark Souls. I imagine with the love it gets from this community it'll go pretty far in this competition.

#36 Posted by TobbRobb (4841 posts) -

This is not really a fair matchup.

#37 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

Daaaaaaaark Sooooooooooulssssssss.

#38 Edited by EXTomar (4943 posts) -

Meh, this is why these topics rarely make sense.

#39 Posted by Tesla (1944 posts) -

Dark Souls is the game of the generation for me. The road to victory starts here!

#40 Posted by Atlas (2457 posts) -

I voted for Spelunky for two reasons. First: principle. Second: just to see how badly Dark Souls was wiping the floor with it.

#41 Posted by Pr1mus (3946 posts) -

Dark Souls.

Haven't played Spelunky but i've seen enough to know it wouldn't hold my interest for that long.

#42 Posted by Master_Funk (741 posts) -

Spleunky is pretty awesome but Dark FUCKING Souls wins this.

#43 Edited by Slax (962 posts) -

I have had way more fun playing Dark Souls than Spelunky.

#44 Posted by Buneroid (428 posts) -

Dark Souls annihilates Spelunky. It's unlike any other game that came out this generation (except for Demon's Souls of course).

#45 Posted by LackingSaint (1854 posts) -

The Real Vote Poll Starts here

#46 Posted by mrfluke (5341 posts) -

this isnt even a contest.

dark souls all the way.

#47 Edited by Milkman (17314 posts) -

I voted Spelunky because I'm right.

#48 Posted by ChrisTaran (1676 posts) -

Not even a little competition here. Dark Souls wins this easy.

#49 Posted by Guesty_01 (382 posts) -

Spelunky is hella fun, but I stalled on getting the shotgun to open the shortcut to third(?) world. Dark Souls was one of the finest experiences I had this gen.

#50 Posted by det (9 posts) -

Dark souls, I love how I feel like I'm playing a game from my childhood again. Death is a real thing (punishing at times and never trivial), you can outsmart the game, the story is what you make of it, you are not being led through a narrative but instead learning to cope and survive in a inhospitable environment. It's like an early 90's game updated and improved. Best game of the generation (for me!).