GotG Round 1: Dark Souls vs. Spelunky

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Poll GotG Round 1: Dark Souls vs. Spelunky (809 votes)

Dark Souls 81%
Spelunky 19%

Main thread

Full bracket

This is upsetting. My favourite Game of the Generation is going to go out in the very first match-up.

Dark Souls (2011)

What the community has to say:

I could go on and on about how fantastic this game is with its surreal yet grounded environments and perfect mixture of Japanese and medieval inspirations while it somehow still has the game mechanics through character customization and nearly flawless technical aspects of physics and contact information between character tokens, but I quite frankly want to quit writing this review and start playing the game again.

From user review by terramantis

Spelunky (2009/2012)

What the community has to say:

At the end of the day, Spelunky is a finely crafted game that while difficult and occasionally bordering on the abusive, gives a sense of accomplishment that is unlike almost anything I have experienced in recent memory. Accomplishing things in Spelunky after failing miserably and finally learning from your mistakes, really feels like something worth bragging about. This is what kept me coming back to Spelunky after dozens and dozens of hours of playing the same four tile sets over and over again. Spelunky is a game that isn't afraid to let you fail. It does not coddle you, in an attempt to have you live out a power fantasy at every moment, but that is what makes it special and rewarding for anyone who takes the time to explore the mines, jungles, ice caves and temples of Spelunky.

From user review by erinisadrunk

Voting closes at 12pm GMT / 4am PST Saturday.

• 
cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By cloudymusic

Well, this is depressing.

deano546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Absolutely disgusted at 82% of you all.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By Milkman

This poll is an war crime and proof that the internet is truly a fucking shit pile of garbage. I'm ashamed of all of you and may god have mercy on your souls.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Why you gotta go and do Spelunky like that?

Avatar image for bicycle_repairman
Bicycle_Repairman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

i voted dark souls, but i don't think this poll was that fair. Rogue legacy vs spelunky would be a better poll i think.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By cornbredx

If I had time I could go on and on as to why Dark souls is better than any other game I've played this generation but I don't. I voted Dark Souls. Fantastic game all around.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Poor Spelunky has no chance against the behemoth that is Dark Souls.

That said, +1 for Dark Souls.

Graham_Nix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Graham_Nix

Aww man, that's a bummer. Spelunky really deserves to go far in any 'best of' competition. It's mechanics and rulesets are so staggeringly well-executed it makes playing through a fresh game a thrill, every time.

But alas, I doubt there will be many games capable of facing Dark Souls' immense (and deserved) popularity under game enthusiasts. Too bad, Spelunky.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#59  Edited By Daneian

The only way Dark Souls would lose this is if it was competing against Dark Souls.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By chrissedoff

I feel like a cad voting for Dark Souls since I only bought Spelunky recently and I haven't played it yet. But I freaking loved Dark Souls.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Milkman

Why can't I flag this poll?

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's a shame Spelunky is going up against Dark Souls right from the start. Both are pretty good.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't Spelunky a bit too new?

noizy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I had a look at the bracket,and it's brutal. That's why parents say they can't pick a favourite.

Zuljin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nasar7 said:

This should really be Dark vs Demon's, in which case I'd vote for Demon's.

Yup, my vote is for Dark Souls but really it's for Demon's Souls.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I went with Spelunky. I really love Dark Souls, but Spelunky is a game I go back to over and over again.

posh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#67  Edited By posh

this is heartbreaking for me, i love both games for entirely different reasons. spelunky is so perfectly designed and i don't see myself ever not playing it for at least an hour every day for the foreseeable future at least. dark souls is such a weird game but i've probably had better with experiences with it just down to the nature of what the game sets out to be from the start. so i don't really think it's fair putting these games against each other, and i think spelunky is better designed overall but i'm voting for dark souls

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#68  Edited By bacongames

It's weird because I completely flipped on Spelunky thanks to Idle Thumbs. Gosh they sold that game so much harder than anything and I absolutely put my vote into Spelunky. While I think the charm and some of the execution of Dark Souls is great, the way that game still hasn't struck the balance between hard, obtuse, and enjoyable for me makes me more excited for Dark Souls 2 than a fan of Dark Souls.

That and let's never forget GFWL and DSFix nonsense for the PC version.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played much Dark Souls and I haven't played Spelunky before, but I definitely should get around to both of them.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Definitely Dark Souls for me. It's deliberate, you sense the tension. The atmosphere further imbues tension into the game. Art wise, you get locations such as Sen's Fortress which is rife with traps to Ash Lake which is quiet and serene. And the story, which is told sparsely from conversation with NPCs is also brilliant.

And the fact that 'good' ending is actually bad, is also refreshing

mickelboy182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beaten Dark Souls numerous times, beaten Spelunky numerous times. I still play Spelunky to this day, almost every day thanks to the daily challenge. I've seen and done everything in the game and I still love to play it. That, to me, makes it go above Dark Souls.

Sad to see Spelunky so under appreciated here :(

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By mracoon

The first match comes to end with the shock result of Dark Souls winning with 82% of the vote and 754 votes cast.