• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by mracoon (4973 posts) 11 months, 21 days ago

Poll: GotG Round 1: Dota 2 vs. League of Legends (642 votes)

Dota 2 69%
League of Legends 31%

Main thread

Full bracket

I'm sorry MOBA fans but this had to happen at some point.

Dota 2 (2013)

What the community has to say:

DotA is one those games, the ones that come around maybe once in a generation. One that changes everything about the way you play games and the way you look at them.

From user review by @slag

League of Legends (2009)

What the community has to say:

I have played over 700 hours of it (I am not joking) and after those 700+ hours I must say the game is as fresh and exciting as it has ever been.

From user review by @g0rd0nfr33m4n

Voting closes at 12pm GMT / 4am PST Monday.

#1 Posted by ch3burashka (5130 posts) -

I played two tutorial matches of DotA and played 100+ hours of LoL, but DotA has to win for the pure phenomenon that it is. Also, LoL is stupid now.

#2 Posted by AlexW00d (6317 posts) -

Dota 2 (Your vote)100%

League of Legends0%

lol

#3 Posted by CheapPoison (740 posts) -

Wait.... this is dangerous territory....

Also I can only vote for one of them so here goes.

#4 Edited by TheHT (11557 posts) -

Dota 2 is responsible for weeks unaccounted for.

#5 Posted by jimmyfenix (3859 posts) -

Dota 2 > LoL......Yeah i said it.

#6 Posted by Juzie (168 posts) -

Thinking that there should of been a multiplayer GOTG and Singleplayer GOTG separately tbh. Going to be weird seeing the winner up against something like RDR.

#7 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -

Both of these games are an embarrassment, so neither one.

#8 Posted by Brodehouse (10104 posts) -

League of Losers versus... uh.... Blowta! Yeah more like Blowta you guys.

#9 Posted by Damodar (1430 posts) -
#10 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@missacre said:

Both of these games are an embarrassment, so neither one.

#11 Posted by Leonshade (61 posts) -

This would lead to a flamewar in a bigger forum.

#12 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3908 posts) -

More like Scrota 2. If we're talking games that define a generation I think you have to go with LoL it's still the biggest and kinda led the way. But this is Giant Bomb so DoTA is clearly gonna take this. And no I'm not claiming LoL came first but it became the most popular the fastest.

#13 Posted by Demoskinos (15034 posts) -

Man, this is the bracket where I do not give a fuuuuuck who wins/loses hate them both.

#14 Posted by SarcasticMudcrab (205 posts) -
#15 Edited by Brodehouse (10104 posts) -
#16 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -
#17 Edited by McLargepants (394 posts) -

This is fantastic. I'll be voting for LoL, not only because It's the most popular game in the world right now but also because its initials are lol. I love that.

#18 Posted by SarcasticMudcrab (205 posts) -

@missacre said:

@sarcasticmudcrab said:

@missacre: you're really cool.

Oh I know, thanks for noticing.

I was so stunned I forgot to mention my vote! League of Legends (I'm significantly less cool)

#19 Posted by FlipperDesert (2098 posts) -

This is going to be the most fantastic bloodbath.

TWO MEN ENTER, ONE MAN LEAVES!

#20 Posted by Zero_ (1976 posts) -

A vote for LoL is a vote against Brad Shoemaker, and who would do that...

#21 Posted by BeachThunder (12118 posts) -

I voted for Kodos.

#22 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

I wonder how many people will vote Dota 2 because of Brad.

#23 Posted by Nasar7 (2735 posts) -

No opinion,

#24 Edited by CaLe (4023 posts) -

I voted for Dota because I like Valve ♥

#25 Posted by GaspoweR (3204 posts) -

" OHH YOU DIDN'T KNOOOOW????..."

#26 Posted by Yesiamaduck (1135 posts) -

LoL for more colourful characters, the are only so many knights, mages and archers I can play in my life time

#27 Posted by TobbRobb (4762 posts) -

Well this is still more civil than expected, but still pretty bad.

I refuse to vote for the record. I love both of these for different reasons.

#28 Edited by Milkman (17073 posts) -

@missacre: What about these games are an "embarrassment?"

#29 Edited by Mezmero (1982 posts) -

These are just silly to include in these discussions. It's already weird enough that they're both free to play PC games. Personally I consider Dota 2 an early next gen game. I have a stock PC bought shortly after the new consoles launched and Dota runs like dog crap. It's playable but that game seems like such a waste of a time investment without the best possible video settings. Meanwhile League of Legends runs just fine. I'm not going to upgrade to that level of fidelity and consider myself to be playing something in the same generation as home consoles.

Also worth considering are the improvements they've made to stuff like streaming, spectating modes, match making, and just the raw playability have been revolutionary to that genre of games to the point that it has taken those games beyond what they're capable of in a previous era of design. However it had to take lessons from dozens of MOBAs to get to where it is. Almost like some sort of next generation. I really couldn't get invested in either game but I pretty much have to vote for League based on my personal politics.

And this is the part where I say this slot really should have been Pac Man CE DX and Condemned 2.

#30 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -

@milkman said:

@missacre: What about these games are an "embarrassment?"

Let's just say, if you have to ask, you're better off not knowing.

#31 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Dota 2 is a game for broken people. It's far too complex for it's own good and requires too much time to truly enjoy. If you spend enough time playing it you'll love it with all your heart. LoL is a more casual game that is good in it's own right but my heart is with Dota 2.

#32 Posted by Zalrus9 (112 posts) -

I was able to reconnect with my friends from college with the help of DoTA 2. Not so with LoL.

#33 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I go by most influence, League of Legends is much more influential because of its fair f2p model, it helps that it's also a good game.

Dota 2 is better though, but for a game of the generation vote, I'll go with League.

#34 Edited by slyspider (1306 posts) -

This vote sucks because this site is super dota heavy. While I firmly believe league is the better game there is no chance in hell its winning with the dota slant of the community. Oh well, it is the giantbomb gotg not the definitive gotg so all's fair

#35 Posted by UlquioKani (1143 posts) -

Having put over 600 hours in about 5 months, Dota 2 all day!

#36 Posted by RetroVirus (1481 posts) -

DotA 2 for me! I wouldn't be so into the game without the GB community helping me out, so thanks duders!

#37 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11934 posts) -

Oh, I wonder which will win? Could it be the one that Brad plays and streams on a semi-regular basis?

#38 Posted by dantey (258 posts) -

I have played about 600 hours of Dota 2 and even more of League of Legends and I must say that Dota 2 is the better game here. They are both excellent competitive multiplayer games and, while League has a bigger variety of game modes, it is the classic 5v5, three lane map where it is at. And Dota is built around that map and there are a lot of heroes that would not just work in any other game mode. And this dedication to the classic game mode is what makes it better than League.

Because of said dedication, a player has more options and available tactics at his disposal. Rune control, better split pushes, more interesting hero ability design, higher mobility, a bigger emphases on hero synergy, a more interesting meta game etc. My point is, that while League is more friendlier to newcomers of the genre, once you get into Dota, it will be hard to go back to League of Legends. And I say that as someone who still goes back to League from time to time and wishes that he could buy a town portal scroll.

#39 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3908 posts) -

@missacre: your nonsense comment is nonsense.

#40 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -

It makes sense, it probably just went over your head is all.

#41 Edited by BisonHero (6674 posts) -

This is kind of a hard call, in that Dota 2 is the more advanced game, but is also very derivative of the Warcraft 3 map (which it's supposed to be, obviously). My point is that it doesn't contain a ton of original game design.

League of Legends is ultimately more influential, in the way that Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is, in that it's so successful that now there is an entire genre cloning it specifically. Though it, too, is fairly derivative of original Dota.

#42 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3908 posts) -
@missacre said:

@thesoutherndandy said:

It makes sense, it probably just went over your head is all.

Hmm....nope. Nope, definitely nonsense comment.

#43 Posted by jakob187 (21692 posts) -

@hailinel said:

This x1,000,000.

I voted League because it's what I play, but there's no fair shot for that game because of the Dota 2 obsession at Giant Bomb itself.

Then again, Deadly Premonition is losing to Portal, sooooooo...I don't know.

I'll be more curious to see what happens if there was a...say, Persona 4 versus...I don't know, Final Fantasy VII or something.

#44 Edited by BaconGames (3496 posts) -

I do honestly think that between League of Legends and Dota 2 I would jump into Dota 2 given the choice every time. Admittedly that's personal and Dota 2's slant is definitely community derived but that's alright.

#45 Posted by BisonHero (6674 posts) -

@arbitrarywater said:

Oh, I wonder which will win? Could it be the one that Brad plays and streams on a semi-regular basis?

Well yeah, sheer number of players and Twitch viewers suggests that LoL should be a landslide victory if this poll were actually just up to popular vote of the overall gaming community. Still, there's a legitimate case to be made that Dota 2 is a better game, though you're probably right that it's only doing so well in this poll because of Daily Dota.

It's similarly insane that Deadly Premonition is even in this bracket whatsoever. It's a fucking weird game, but its story is a worse Twin Peaks/Alan Wake that ends completely nonsensically, its open world is worse than any Western-developed open world of this gen (Deadly Premonition has a better open world than No More Heroes, though), and its gameplay is like a worse version of RE4's shooting/puzzles and Condemned's melee. The game scores some points for ambition and some truly bizarre/brilliant character writing, but wow that game is held together by duct tape.

I do still love that there are entire aspects of the game each Endurance Run missed, though. One found the hospital where you can just buy endless medkits, the other made due with what they found in the environment and was somewhat more tense as a result. One found the ability to get betters cars, the other instead found the radio. What a weird Endurance Run.

#46 Edited by JohnTunoku (134 posts) -

I think lol is ultimately the better game and probably indisputably the more influential game. It did away with all the archaic nonsense in the first Dota and provided a clearly focused and intuitive experience that made MOBAs as big as they are today. Whereas Dota 2 is by and large just a prettier Dota, warts and all.

#47 Edited by Hadoken101 (824 posts) -

I voted for League because a) it's the one I play more, and b) strictly speaking in terms of cultural influence, it's a lot bigger and more deserving of the "Game of the Generation" title. We're talking about a game that sold out a tournament at the Staples Center in about an hour. At the same time, I don't really think either should win the whole thing because in order to play them, you are subjected to the most vile and toxic communities in gaming.

#48 Posted by TooWalrus (13241 posts) -

@hailinel said:

Like 70%?

I haven't played either, and don't particularly care for the genre. I've got a cousin who's way into League, I suppose I'll cast my vote in that direction, in his stead.

#49 Posted by Flappy (2308 posts) -

There's a realistic chance that Dota 2 might end up winning this entire contest.

Fuck that.

#50 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

The weaker MOBA will win because of Brad.