GotG Round 1: Dota 2 vs. League of Legends

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Poll GotG Round 1: Dota 2 vs. League of Legends (644 votes)

Dota 2 69%
League of Legends 31%

Main thread

Full bracket

I'm sorry MOBA fans but this had to happen at some point.

Dota 2 (2013)

What the community has to say:

DotA is one those games, the ones that come around maybe once in a generation. One that changes everything about the way you play games and the way you look at them.

From user review by @slag

League of Legends (2009)

What the community has to say:

I have played over 700 hours of it (I am not joking) and after those 700+ hours I must say the game is as fresh and exciting as it has ever been.

From user review by @g0rd0nfr33m4n

Voting closes at 12pm GMT / 4am PST Monday.

• 
Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Canteu

Too much DOTA on GB. I shall rest easy knowing the game I play is better and played by more, even if it did not get an imaginary internet thing.

For reals though, DOTA 2's community is one of the worst I've ever seen. The game feels like a 10 year old mod, and nothing has changed from that mod other than the graphics. It is still entirely balanced around imbalance (icefrog doesn't know what balance is). I don't like 5 second stuns on every champion.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I hate Brad and hate the Daily Dota, but I voted for DotA because I like the game. LoL has an absolutely disgusting free to play model, runes and masteries lead to imbalances before the game even begins (especially for those new to the game), and a lot of the heroes are just carbon copies of DotA heroes (not as obvious as HoN mind you, but...).

But if you like League of Legends that's super too. I play it with a friend sometimes and I don't hate it. You don't automatically have to be obsessed with one and loathe the other you know. You're allowed to have your own opinions.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Canteu

@davidwitten22: A lot of the champions are carbon copies. So this is untrue, but why is it cool for DOTA to be literally the champions from the Warcraft 3 mod? It's a different game made by a different company, so surely that's just plagiarism at that point.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By laserbolts

@milkman said:

@missacre: What about these games are an "embarrassment?"

He is probably referring to the community that plays them more than the games themselves. I played about 40 matches of LoL and I have no desire to play it again. Not because it isn't a well made or quality game but more because of how much people bitch you out in it constantly. I thought shooters were bad until I touched a game like these.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canteu said:

@davidwitten22: A lot of the champions are carbon copies. So this is untrue, but why is it cool for DOTA to be literally the champions from the Warcraft 3 mod? It's a different game made by a different company, so surely that's just plagiarism at that point.

Because it's the same game. It's literally the same game. It's DotA in a new engine. They have never pretended that its anything else. Stop being intentionally dense please.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Canteu

@davidwitten22: So why is that ok? Seems like the issue you have with lol, which is actually incorrect, could easily be applied to the game you like. Which as I said, is not the same game. It's DOTA 2, and also the fact that it's not Defence Of The Ancients 2, it's just DOTA 2. Valve didn't make DOTA 1, and they only have one of the three people who did. Now if it was the same game, wouldn't it just be called DOTA? Why is there a 2 after it?

Oh also, F2P = HATS!!!!!!!!!!

fucking hats.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canteu: Better than having to unlock all of the heros to actually play the game with. What is so bad about hats? If people wan't to change their appearance they can do so by paying money. Otherwise they don't pay jack shit and get all of the heros for free anyway.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flacracker: I've played league for years, and still have no desire to play all of the champions, this is a non issue for me. I get the ones I want, and instead of buying a hat, I get a whole new outfit.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canteu: Skins in LoL and full item sets in Dota 2 are all in the same price range. And you can get piece of a set for free in Dota 2.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flacracker: But they don't change the champion. It's just clothes. Skins can dramatically change the champion, but hats just make your head warmer.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canteu said:

@davidwitten22: So why is that ok? Seems like the issue you have with lol, which is actually incorrect, could easily be applied to the game you like. Which as I said, is not the same game. It's DOTA 2, and also the fact that it's not Defence Of The Ancients 2, it's just DOTA 2. Valve didn't make DOTA 1, and they only have one of the three people who did. Now if it was the same game, wouldn't it just be called DOTA? Why is there a 2 after it?

fucking hats.

You're intentionally trying not to understand. It's the difference between Half-Life and Half-Life Source. You like LoL. That's awesome. Keep liking and keep playing that game.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

DotA all day baby.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#64  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Heroes of Newerth!

No? Dammit. Well, I guess I'll go for Dota 2 since it's the most like Heroes of Newerth...

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davidwitten22: And you're not answering the question. You keep enjoying DOTA 2, that's cool

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canteu said:

@davidwitten22: And you're not answering the question. You keep enjoying DOTA 2, that's cool

I already answered the question. It's the same game in a new engine. In the latest patch they added some things that are not possible in the WC3 engine, finally moving away from complete 100% parity with the Wc3 version. The other two creators of DotA aren't interested in working on it anymore so Icefrog does it. It's DotA 2 in the same way as CS and CS:Source are different games. It's not exactly the same game because it has integrated matchmaking, cosmetics, custom huds and announcers and spectator mode and replays and lots of things that the original didn't. One of the reasons it is f2p is to make it accessible and to not alienate those that played the original. The heroes are the same because its the same game, just like there are marines in both Starcraft 1 and in Starcraft 2.

And also many of the items do drastically change the heroes in DotA, such as changing animations, spell particle effects, etc.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, I wish Dota 2 would allow "building hats". And suggesting items "drastically change the heroes" is laughable.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Voted for LoL simply because of the craze surrounding it, it's influence and recognition trumps Dota 2 sevenfold. Hell, my roommate from Korea knows what LoL is but never heard of Dota or Dota 2.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By EXTomar

Dota 2 did just release in South Korea less than a month ago. I don't blame him.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Canteu

@davidwitten22: But... you just said it was the same game... I'm very confused right now.

Avatar image for usernameandemail
Usernameandemail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted Dota 2 because I play that and not LoL. Also, Brad's interest in it made me go and try it. I suspect that will be the case for a lot of voters.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

This is the thread that will decide if this game of the generation thing is a popularity contest or if people are actually taking other things into account.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a stupid poll. 95% of the League population hasn't played DotA 2 and 95% of the DotA 2 population hasn't played league. Probably like 99.99% haven't played to level 30. There's no way to get an actual discussion going because no one knows shit about the other game, making this just pure systemwars fanboy bullshit without any actual discussion merit.

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Codeacious

Having played both (I've played League since Nidalee was released, and DotA 2 since fairly early beta), I think DotA 2 is the better game. It has a better F2P model (Runes are stupid, and only being able to play a new champion once every 5-25 games is silly), is more balanced, has stronger and more complex mechanics, and I generally just have more fun with DotA 2 than I do with LoL.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The weaker MOBA will win because of Brad.

Exactly accurate, but its a site vote and more people on the site are enjoying DotA 2 (even if its because of Brad). So fairs fair I guess.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Missacre

@talibanchic said:

@missacre: It must be hard to even read the comments of the others from the ethereal plane of higher learning and consciousness that you exist in. Please oh wise one, teach us how to transcend.

"In which you exist," "Please, oh wise one." I hope that helped. Stay in school!

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I think WC3 trumps both of them since it did the whole Hero/Items/Creeping/Base-Protection/Towers/Mules setup before both of them.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Nadril
@example1013 said:

This is a stupid poll. 95% of the League population hasn't played DotA 2 and 95% of the DotA 2 population hasn't played league. Probably like 99.99% haven't played to level 30. There's no way to get an actual discussion going because no one knows shit about the other game, making this just pure systemwars fanboy bullshit without any actual discussion merit.

To be fair, I played League up to around... level 16 or so? I didn't like the idea of having to grind for a massive amount of hours to get to the part of the game where I'd play people who weren't completely hopeless. (And the game just felt slow. Well, slow and everything seemed to just be nerfed to a point where you were using rubber bats against each other).

Also most of this thread seems to be LoL players complaining that Dota 2 is winning.

@canteu said:

fucking hats.

Eul works for Valve as well, FYI. The only person they don't have is Guinsoo and his contribution wasn't near as large (IMO) as Eul and Icefrog's. Also I'd take hats any day over having to buy heroes or grind out hundreds of games.

---

I find it really absurd, by the way, that people are complaining about how Dota 2 is winning over League because it is more popular here. It's really kind of funny.

For what it's worth, I voted Dota 2.

Avatar image for usernameandemail
Usernameandemail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@missacre: Why don't you express an opinion other than "I am superior to you all" or are you here just to benefit your self esteem and not contribute to a discussion?

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@missacre: Why don't you express an opinion other than "I am superior to you all" or are you here just to benefit your self esteem and not contribute to a discussion?

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know I wasn't allowed to defend myself against personal attacks. Besides, I never said I was better than anyone, I just pointed out that I didn't like either game, and YOU were the one that started with that whole "oh wise one" bullshit. It seems none of you can take a fucking joke anymore, goddamn.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Missacre
@connerthekewlkid said:

@missacre: When times get tough, just point out grammar flaws

Well, he did ask me for help, what else was I supposed to do, give him love advice?

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@missacre: So you go around telling people their not smart enough to get your joke then get all thin skinned when someone talks back?

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@missacre: So you go around telling people their not smart enough to get your joke then get all thin skinned when someone talks back?

I never said he wasn't smart enough, I just said it went over his head. That's not implying I called him stupid. That's all on you.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@missacre: Y'know you never did explain what this great joke of yours was exactly

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Missacre

@connerthekewlkid said:

@missacre: Y'know you never did explain what this great joke of yours was exactly

Well, it's a little fucking late for that, isn't it? Also, I like the sudden change of subject. Bravo. I'm done. Whatever.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@missacre: Don't worry you're here forever honey :3

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nadril: In this case there's no argument over which game has a larger impact, so the only factors to be discussed are design and stylistic choices. Since 80% of dota 2 is literally an imported warcraft 3 mod, there's really no way to discuss design choices, as the developers didn't actually come up with the mechanics being used in the game.

Which leaves nothing but pure personal preference for argument. And like I said, the communities do not overlap. For the overwhelming majority, you either play dota 2 or you play League. Which means the overwhelming majority of people are just going to vote for the game they play. It's bullshit, there's literally nothing useful that can be extrapolated from this poll for any purpose.

And I don't have an opinion to post because I haven't played dota 2, so I can't say whether it should win the poll or not. Everyone I know plays league, so I'm not switching games, which means there's no point for me to invest the time to actually get good at dota 2.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Nadril

@example1013 said:

@nadril: In this case there's no argument over which game has a larger impact, so the only factors to be discussed are design and stylistic choices. Since 80% of dota 2 is literally an imported warcraft 3 mod, there's really no way to discuss design choices, as the developers didn't actually come up with the mechanics being used in the game.

Which leaves nothing but pure personal preference for argument. And like I said, the communities do not overlap. For the overwhelming majority, you either play dota 2 or you play League. Which means the overwhelming majority of people are just going to vote for the game they play. It's bullshit, there's literally nothing useful that can be extrapolated from this poll for any purpose.

And I don't have an opinion to post because I haven't played dota 2, so I can't say whether it should win the poll or not. Everyone I know plays league, so I'm not switching games, which means there's no point for me to invest the time to actually get good at dota 2.

What does Dota being a warcraft 3 mod have to do with anything? Like I said, Valve has Eul and Icefrog, two people that had a massive influence on Dota. Even if they didn't have those two, why does it matter? Does it become less of a game because it used to be a mod? Counter-strike:GO is pretty much just CS1.6 which used to be a mod -- and Valve didn't really create 1.6 either.

I just don't know why you can't discuss the design choices behind dota.

I agree that League/Dota players tend to not overlap, although you would be surprised in the sheer amount of League players that move over on a daily basis. Go over to /r/dota2 someday, pretty much daily there are threads being posted about a LoL player converting over and wanting tips.

Anyways I'm not really sure how this whole gotg thing works, but I'm guessing it's trying to pit games of similar genre's together in the initial rounds which seems fine. I wouldn't get too worked up about something like this.

(And yes, I wouldn't expect good discussion from either side. I've tried before, but meh)

Oh, and as far as which game has had a larger impact? I guess it's if you would consider Dota 2 an extension of Dota -- because the original Dota has easily had a massive impact.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Belegorm

Dota 2 will obviously win because this is giant bomb. Any other site, LoL would win (except for dota 2 fan sites).

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By bigjeffrey

I have not played any, but i did install dota 2 and booted it briefly to the title screen. So i'll go with that one.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Example1013

@nadril: If we follow your logic, my bejeweled clone that I hire Kojima to make (for some unknown reason, it's not important) gets credit from MGS when an argument breaks out over whether my game or Bejeweled is more influential.

And if we follow your logic a second time, Dota 2 was massively impactful in league development since it's an extension of dota, even though dota 2 wasn't even announced when league was created.

Both situations are hilariously nonsensical.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#95  Edited By Trilogy

I played a couple of hours of Dota2 against bots. I played zero hours of LoL, and it will probably stay that way. I guess Dota wins by default for me? I could be a smart ass and pick LoL...nah.

Not surprised to see people complaining about Dota winning because of Brad, though. Excuses.

Juzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The weaker MOBA will win because of Brad.

That would be a good excuse if SC2 was beating Civ V. DOTA 2 is just the far more complex and complete game.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

So many salty League players in this thread, lol

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By davidwitten22

@nadril: If we follow your logic, my bejeweled clone that I hire Kojima to make (for some unknown reason, it's not important) gets credit from MGS when an argument breaks out over whether my game or Bejeweled is more influential.

And if we follow your logic a second time, Dota 2 was massively impactful in league development since it's an extension of dota, even though dota 2 wasn't even announced when league was created.

Both situations are hilariously nonsensical.

What the fuck are you talking about?

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#99  Edited By Castiel

Neither. If a MOBA wins gotg I must admit that I disagree with a large percentage of the GB community when it comes to games.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So many salty League players in this thread, lol

That lol at the end is just a low blow.

I also realize it might be for the best that these 2 are up against eachother, these 2 would knock out a bunch of other games real easily if they weren't put to eliminate eachother so qiuckly.