• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by mracoon (4979 posts) 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: GotG Round 1: Fallout 3 vs. Just Cause 2 (728 votes)

Fallout 3 75%
Just Cause 2 25%

Main thread

Full bracket

How much AP does it take to pull off a stunt position?

Fallout 3 (2008)

What the community has to say:

Fallout 3 is a game that anyone who enjoys RPGs can get into. If you are curious about RPGs this is a great place to start. It is an excellent American RPG that will really wow most people who follow the strange and alluring fiction, both through the dialogue and through the design of the world as a whole.

From user review by @crono

Just Cause 2 (2010)

What the community has to say:

Just Cause 2 is a game where the craziest things can happen with just a few button presses. It's an extremely unrealistic game that defies pretty much every law of physics, but the end result is something really special that shouldn't be missed by anyone.

From user review by @natetodamax

Voting closes at midnight GMT / 4pm PST Tuesday.

#1 Edited by BigJeffrey (5112 posts) -

Fallout 3 wins just cause.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Fallout 3, even though I'm pretty sure I have Just Cause 2 languishing in my Steam library.

#3 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11421 posts) -

Just Cause 2 is great and all, but...

When one dog ain't enough, and two is too low...

Man, I played so much Fallout 3. Over 200 hours, between my two playthroughs. That's a lot.

#4 Posted by Zacagawea (1617 posts) -

Fallout: New Vegas

#5 Posted by AjayRaz (12477 posts) -

fallout 3? they should change the name to failout 3 actually. just cause 2 is the best game of all time

#6 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (6012 posts) -

Why'd I vote for Fallout 3? Just cause I liked it 2 much.

#7 Edited by development (2653 posts) -

Still can't believe Fallout 3 beat New Vegas. It was better in almost every conceivable way. My guess is that not enough people played it. Anyway, since it's the crappy Fallout 3, I futilely cast my vote for JC 2.

#8 Posted by MonetaryDread (2183 posts) -

Fallout 3 is my game of the generation. I feel that it was a better game than both New Vegas and Just Cause 2.

#9 Edited by SlashDance (1843 posts) -

Cue New Vegas nazis telling everybody how wrong they are for liking Fallout 3.

#10 Posted by mlarrabee (3064 posts) -

Dogmeat is my favorite companion in any game I've played.

Still can't believe Fallout 3 beat New Vegas. It was better in almost every conceivable way. My guess is that not enough people played it. Anyway, since it's the crappy Fallout 3, I futilely cast my vote for JC 2.

I played both. NV improved a lot of things, but even the better story and gameplay changes couldn't shake the feeling I was playing a TC. The jump from 3 to NV was marked. The jump from 2 to 3 was stunning.

#11 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Fallout 3 is my game of the generation.

#12 Posted by Killerfridge (318 posts) -

I love Just Cause 2 but Fallout 3 is a much more accomplished game. Sorry, Just Cause, I love you but Dogmeat wins it for me.

#13 Posted by BaneFireLord (2958 posts) -

Gotta go with Just Cause 2 here. Much as I loved New Vegas, I found Fallout 3's world and story oppressively staid and drab in comparison; can't bring myself to vote for it over a game where I have spent countless joyful hours smashing airplanes into oil rigs.

Cue New Vegas nazis telling everybody how wrong they are for liking Fallout 3.

Yaaaay Godwin's Law!

#14 Edited by laserbolts (5372 posts) -

Fallout 3 is one of my favorite games of this generation so I have to vote for it here. Had some fun with Just Cause 2 though.

#15 Posted by Milkman (17352 posts) -

Just Cause 2 won't win but just know that I voted for it and that's what counts.

#16 Posted by TheHT (11838 posts) -

I had a good time with Fallout 3. V.A.T.S. was a fun system to what's otherwise a pretty bad shooter. Just Cause 2 is just insanity though. The limitless parachute, the Pursuit Force vehicle hijacking, and that amazing grappling hook never get old. I remember the driving to be loose and arcadey, and the shooting sericeable and generic, but that grappling hook man. Geez.

http://i.minus.com/ixcyYmZTt7Dor.gif

#17 Edited by Sinusoidal (1824 posts) -

This one is a shame. I think Fallout 3 is technically the better game, but I had a whole lot more pure fun with Just Cause 2. Bethesda and whoever made Just Cause 2 need to get together and make a Fallout game with the mechanics of Just Cause. Holy shit that would rule!

#18 Posted by Ramone (2978 posts) -

People voting for Fallout 3 are basically saying "I don't like fun"

#19 Posted by HatKing (6128 posts) -

I mean, Fallout 3. But man, Just Cause 2. But seriously, Fallout 3. I mean, come on.

#20 Edited by mrfluke (5356 posts) -

fallout 3.

#21 Posted by briansanderson (133 posts) -

Fallout 3 easily.

#22 Posted by Trilogy (2692 posts) -

Just Cause 2 is some of the most pure open world fun I've had in a very long time. It's terribly flawed, but I can't help loving it. Fallout 3's combat kept me from ever getting in deep. Which is a shame, because I think they made a pretty cool ass world.

Just Cause 2, I adore thee.

#23 Posted by RetroVirus (1492 posts) -

Just Cause 2 has a grappling hook! Not enough games have grappling hooks, period.

#24 Posted by Sgtpierceface (648 posts) -

Just Cause 2 by a mile. I know this isn't the common opinion.

#25 Edited by beard_of_zeus (1695 posts) -

@TheHT: Man, that GIF is so good and so representative of why JC2 is just pure fun.

@sinusoidal said:

This one is a shame. I think Fallout 3 is technically the better game, but I had a whole lot more pure fun with Just Cause 2.

Same here, my friend. How can you not have fun with that crazy fucking grappling hook?!?!

I did play a lot of Fallout 3 though, so it is definitely no slouch.

#26 Posted by Hunter5024 (5982 posts) -

I don't like Fallout, but I never played Just Cause 2, so I can't rightfully vote for it.

#27 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

Just Cause 2 has the better mods out of the two games. JC2 Multiplayer is some of the most fun I've had with any game this generation.

#28 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3999 posts) -

Just Cause 2 is awesome fun but Fallout 3 was a really good game. A lot of pressure and it delivered for sure.

If Just Cause 2 didn't have the absolute worst story and voice acting and even missions it could have been one of the very best games of the gen, like definitely top 5 for me. I played it for a long while just ignoring the missions which is super rare. Props to all the mechanics and the look of the game for keeping me but man, Avalanche, work on the rest because you are so close to making a gem of a game.

#29 Edited by flasaltine (1713 posts) -

@mlarrabee said:

Dogmeat is my favorite companion in any game I've played.

@development said:

I played both. NV improved a lot of things, but even the better story and gameplay changes couldn't shake the feeling I was playing a TC. The jump from 3 to NV was marked. The jump from 2 to 3 was stunning.

The jump from 2 to 3 was disappointing and terrible.

#30 Edited by mlarrabee (3064 posts) -

@flacracker: I don't mean to say that it was the best possible transition into 3D; I think NV was a better sequel to the classics. But while NV had a foundation to build on (not to mention a completed game engine) Fallout 3 had to innovate so much more. NV made a beautiful jump. 3's wasn't as pretty but it jumped a lot farther.

#31 Posted by CornBREDX (6083 posts) -

Both great games, but I have to go with Fallout 3 sheerly because I played it, and finished it, so many times.

Just cause 2 is really fun chaos, but I never could actually finish it. I do go back to it sometimes but it's mechanics are more fun to mess with than actually getting through the game- if that makes any sense.

#32 Posted by crithon (3458 posts) -

Trying to get into fallout 3, but man it keeps crashing every single time it loads up.

And Just Cause 2 really put me off with it's gun controls even though I love dumb fun

#33 Posted by coaxmetal (1658 posts) -

man fallout 3 wasn't even very good in general

#34 Edited by development (2653 posts) -

@sinusoidal said:

This one is a shame. I think Fallout 3 is technically the better game, but I had a whole lot more pure fun with Just Cause 2. Bethesda and whoever made Just Cause 2 need to get together and make a Fallout game with the mechanics of Just Cause. Holy shit that would rule!

Hah! Dude, have you seen the latest teaser gameplay from Mad Max? It's pretty much exactly that.

It's the next game by the Just Cause 2 guys.

#35 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3999 posts) -

@sinusoidal said:

Hah! Dude, have you seen the latest teaser gameplay from Mad Max? It's pretty much exactly that.

It's the next game by the Just Cause 2 guys.

Lets pray there is some kind of grappling hook so I can grapple a motorcycle rider off his bike and drag him behind my whip at 100 mph.

#36 Posted by development (2653 posts) -

@artisanbreads: They really fucked up if they don't at least make a weapon that has some kind of similar mechanic. Your comment makes me want a proper Road Rash sequel.

#37 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1842 posts) -

Just Cause 2 does a few things amazingly well, but then you realize that's literally all it does. It lacks the same kind of substance and long-term value as Fallout 3, even if JC2 is objectively the better playing game. The quality of its action is undeniable and it's a great game to just fuck around in, but Fallout 3, man.

#38 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3999 posts) -

@artisanbreads: They really fucked up if they don't at least make a weapon that has some kind of similar mechanic. Your comment makes me want a proper Road Rash sequel.

Oh man I've been waiting years for that. And EA keeps teasing. Maybe next gen. It makes a lot of sense with the drop in drop out multiplayer all these racers have now.

#39 Posted by Damodar (1507 posts) -

I liked Fallout 3 enough, but Just Cause 2 rewarded creativity and dexterity in such an amazing way, I can't not go with that.

Also, it just occurred to me that Just Cause 2 would have been approximately 280% less enjoyable trying to play without having a mouse. You NEED extremely fast and accurate aim to get the most out of that game.

Also, Bolo Santosi.

#40 Posted by armaan8014 (5464 posts) -

Messed around a LOT with Just Cause 2 and its god mode. A LOT. Loved that game.

If I could vote for both I would, but the atmosphere of Fallout 3 wins it for me, what a fun, engrossing experience.

#41 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2621 posts) -

I voted for Fallout 3, though I much prefer New Vegas and am disappointed it didn't win.

Just Cause 2 was okay. The controls kinda sucked and I hated how you have to rebuy vehicles every time they get destroyed. Loved all the Easter eggs and crazy shit though.

#42 Edited by Moonshadow101 (575 posts) -

It's a fucking travesty that F3 beat New Vegas, but it's still better than JC2.

#43 Posted by Broomhitches (173 posts) -

I wanted to play though all of Just Cause 2 so bad, but it's one of those games that make me nauseous while playing.

#44 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -

At first I was pissed off because I accidentally voted for Just Cause 2, then I saw the poll results and now I don't mind that much.

To answer the question though, the winner is definitely Fallout 3 for me. Just Cause 2 is a fun game and all, but Fallout 3 is either my favourite game of this generation or in the top 3 (haven't worked it out completely yet.)

#45 Posted by civid (553 posts) -

@slashdance: It's not that Fallout 3 is a bad game by any standard and it's probably a hell of a lot more important than NV, but NV managed to up the ante in every concievable way even though it was rushed out the door by developers. F3 is still a waaaaay better game than Just Cause 2

#46 Edited by Danteveli (1205 posts) -

Just Cause 2 is way crazier game and it has so many wicked moments. Fallout 3 was a letdown for fans of the original as it was just Oblivion with guns but somehow i can guess its gonna win this confrontation.

#47 Posted by Soap (3646 posts) -

This is a much tougher call than some of these I've seen before. But for me it's Just Cause 2. Fallout 3 is great, but Just Cause 2 is... well, it's incredible.

#48 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6403 posts) -

Fallout 3 is still incredibly fun to play and explore. Just Cause 2 had shitty gunplay mechanics and never lived up to my expectations.

#49 Posted by AMyggen (3698 posts) -

Just Cause 2 is way crazier game and it has so many wicked moments. Fallout 3 was a letdown for fans of the original as it was just Oblivion with guns but somehow i can guess its gonna win this confrontation.

You say that like it's a bad thing. And I was a huge fan of Fallout 1 and 2, and still loved Fallout 3. Was it a different experience from the first two games? Sure, but I was expecting that.

Fallout 3 all the way for me. I spent about 100 hours with that game. Just Cause 2 was a good game, but there's only so much fun I'll have just playing around in a sandbox. The actual story was awful.

#50 Posted by mjk0104 (215 posts) -

Fallout 3 was a great game, but Just Cause 2 is some of the most fun I've had in a game, and still looks amazing. It's not going to win, but I loved everything about it except for the stronghold missions.