• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 8 months, 2 days ago

Poll: GotG Round 1: Halo 3 vs. Gears of War 3 (628 votes)

Halo 3 64%
Gears of War 3 36%

Main thread

Full bracket

The end of their respective trilogies but that didn't stop the IP holders from cranking out more. Maybe we'll see these series in the GotG for the next gen.

Halo 3 (2007)

What the community has to say:

Halo 3 has lived up to the hype, and given us more, it is absolutely a must own for everyone with an Xbox 360. It is quite simply the best game to date on this console and part of possibly the best gaming trilogy of all time.

From user review by @lias444

Gears of War 3 (2011)

What the community has to say:

Epic has managed to not only polish their storied gameplay mechanics to a blinding shine, but has incorporated them in new and interesting ways that competitors will be ripping off years from now. It's about as close to perfect as a shooter can get.

From user review by @spilledmilkfactory

Voting closes at midnight GMT / 4pm PST Tuesday.

#1 Posted by Pr1mus (3780 posts) -

I played Halo 1 and Reach and liked them enough i suppose.

Had some mild fun with Gears 1 and 3 in co-op and played 2 on my own and it was a miserable experience. Never finished 2 or 3.

Not the most exciting choice but if i had to play either i'd pick Halo 3.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (35849 posts) -

GEARS.

#3 Posted by Milkman (16486 posts) -

Another tough one but I spent more time playing Gears so I'll give it to that.

#4 Posted by BeachThunder (11649 posts) -

I voted for the game where you shoot things.

#5 Edited by MooseyMcMan (10384 posts) -

I still think that the Gears games that should be in this running should be the first one, given that's the game that basically created what we know of as the modern cover based third person shooter, but whatever!

Oddly enough though, I think Gears 2 was the best Gears, and 3 was my least favorite.

So, I voted for Gears 3 because I think Gears 1 was more important to this generation of games than Halo 3 or Gears 3, but I think Halo 3 was a better game than Gears 3. Does that make sense?

#6 Edited by Roboculus92 (478 posts) -

I like them both but I spent way more time playing halo so gotta go with that one.

#7 Posted by CaLe (3897 posts) -

I've finished every Halo, even though I only really liked the first one... Gears is just satisfying and enjoyable to play through, even if I don't really care about the story.

#8 Posted by laserbolts (5310 posts) -

Gears 3 is the most fun I had with multiplayer this generation so it gets my vote without hesitation. I hope they can either bring gears back to being good again or epic makes another awesome multiplayer third person shooter.

#9 Posted by Kain55 (117 posts) -

I played more Halo 3 than any other game this generation by a long shot. It's probably in my top 5 games of this generation if not top 3 so I definitely have to pick it. I think GoW 3 is great but it can't touch my love of the Halo series.

#10 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11423 posts) -

Oooh! This is actually a fight! But Halo 3 was pretty integral to my gaming landscape from like 2007-2009, so I'll have to go with that.

Also, to be totally blunt, Gears puts me to sleep with how bullet-spongey the enemies are.

#11 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

I voted gears 3, then I replaced the 3 with a 1.

#12 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3048 posts) -

Gears of War 3 is technically the best of the series, even if my heart lies with the original. I enjoyed Halo 3 at the time, but I've got to go with Gears.

#13 Posted by RecSpec (3754 posts) -

I don't know much about Gears, but I'm surprised 3 is on here. Seems like most people liked 2.

#14 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5139 posts) -

I've played both, and while I didn't fall in love with either, I have more fond memories associated with Halo 3.

#15 Edited by Snail (8574 posts) -

Fuck Halo.

ODST looks alright and Reach has jetpacks.

But that aside, fuck Halo. Particularly Halo 3.

#16 Posted by MonetaryDread (1987 posts) -

Thought this was going to be a closer battle. Halo 3 was great for its time, but I feel that Gears 3 is a perfect example of a game refined to perfection.

#17 Edited by bigjeffrey (4714 posts) -

H3

#18 Edited by mracoon (4948 posts) -

Horde Mode in Gears 3 is so, so good. I almost always play a singleplayer campaign first before moving on to multiplayer but with Gears 3 I jumped straight to Horde.

#19 Posted by freakin9 (1088 posts) -

Loved the first two, but by Gears 3 I was strictly in, sloppily bowling through the game just trying to complete the story.

I definitely don't have fond memories of Halo 3 though. Though I'm sure I played the multiplayer a ton.

#20 Posted by big_jon (5708 posts) -

It's so hard to compare games like this, Halo 3 was very good, gears 3 was the best gears game but gears 1 had more of an impact... It's similar with Halo 3, I'm a huge Halo fan but halo 3 as good as it was still wasn't my favorite Halo game.

Still I have to vote for Halo 3 here, it was a game I loved a whole lot.

#21 Posted by KaizoChrono (6 posts) -

Gears 3 has to be my most played game on the 360. The maps are gorgeous, the mechanics were fine tuned from the previous games. It had tons of modes that were just so good. Me and my friends would play Horde and TDM for hours and I loved it.

I haven't really played Halo 3 all that much to say I like it over Gears though...

#22 Posted by HatKing (5795 posts) -

If it were the first Gears of War, it might have a chance. But strictly from the standpoint of what game drained more hours from me, it's got to be Halo 3. I think a lot of the magic had worn off by the time Gears of War 3 had released. Although it is a pretty good culmination of the previous games mechanically, the narrative kind of flounders just as badly as the previous entries. Halo 3 makes good on wrapping up most of the events of the narrative, and managed to carry the multiplayer torch from Halo 2 into the current generation.

#23 Posted by L33T_HAXOR (240 posts) -

My two favorite multiplayer games of this generation. I have to give it to Halo 3 but I had a ton of fun online with Gears 3 as well.

#24 Edited by Daneian (1202 posts) -

Halo 3 managed to make the Flood fun to fight.

#25 Posted by ZombiePie (5562 posts) -

I played a lot of the Halo 3 multiplayer and had a blast messing around with Forge Mode.

#26 Edited by CreepyUncleBrad (165 posts) -

Oh man, such a tough choice. I ended up going with Halo 3 because for me it was the last Halo game I played that just really got...it. I've never been able to put into words what makes Halo so great but Halo 3 had it in bunches. Gears 3 was also an amazing game though.

#27 Posted by mrfluke (5051 posts) -
#28 Posted by Hailinel (23698 posts) -

I've played neither, but voting Halo 3 because I've gone to aikido classes with a Bungie employee who is a pretty cool guy.

#29 Posted by Three0neFive (2285 posts) -

I'm not much of an Xbox (or Halo) fan nowadays but Halo 3 was absolutely incredible and will stand as a personal landmark of mine for a long time. So many memories attached to that game - is it weird to get all misty-eyed and nostalgic for something that's barely even 6 years old?

#30 Posted by nick_verissimo (1380 posts) -

I only played Halo 3 because Nathan Filion, Adam Baldwin and Alan Tudnyk had background character voice-acting roles and I was really into Firely at the time, so GoW 3 then?

#31 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1079 posts) -

Gears of War 3 was a better single player experience for me, but Halo 3 was the best complete package.

#32 Edited by Marz (5642 posts) -

think halo 3 was pretty good and wins this, while gears of 3 was probably the best gears game from a gameplay standpoint... i would say Gears of War 1 probably made more of an impact on the generation but it's not up for vote here :P.

#33 Edited by Nasar7 (2587 posts) -

Halo 3 was in the top 3 multiplayer games on xbox live until.....Halo Reach came out. 3 years later.

#34 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (353 posts) -

Gears, easily. I really don't like the shooting in Halo games.

#35 Posted by Hunter5024 (5514 posts) -

Damn it, it's not even close.

#36 Posted by NTM (7235 posts) -

I liked those equally overall, so I won't choose here. Darn.

#37 Posted by wemibelec90 (1500 posts) -

Again, a poor choice for the Halo game to be represented in the bracket. Who made these choices?

#38 Posted by BaconGames (3285 posts) -

Huh, I guess people like Halo 3. It felt like the year it came out that Forge was the only major thing they added besides giving people multiplayer Halo on the 360. While there is an argument for Gears of War 1, Gears 3 seems to be the pinnacle of that franchise gameplay-wise so I'm good with that.

To me, Halo is not really a game of this generation and one that rode its huge popularity into the new generation with little else to demarcate it besides more multiplayer and prettier graphics. On the other hand Gears of War single-handedly made 3rd person shooters a thing in that specific way and finally solidified a design choice that has become a standard. That's not mentioning of course its influence on wave based survival's popularity. It slips in often that we call it "horde mode." and that to me pushes it way more into importance than Halo 3.

#39 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

Both are in my top favourite list for 360. I've spent countless hours with both series playing online with friends. I'll refrain from voting but I know Halo 3 will win purely because of sheer popularity of the series compared to the niche audience of Gears.

#40 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

Again, a poor choice for the Halo game to be represented in the bracket. Who made these choices?

I don't know man, Reach was great but it was no Halo 3. ODST doesn't stand a chance against Halo 3 either (though it was a great game too).

#41 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3721 posts) -

Gears 3 Horde mode was the most fun I've had with either game, so I vote there. Both are good games though for sure.

#42 Posted by wemibelec90 (1500 posts) -

@superwristbands: I found 3 to be the weakest entry in the entire series, multiplayer-wise (with Halo 2 having the weakest singleplayer). It played nowhere near as well as 2 and Reach.

#43 Posted by CornBREDX (4757 posts) -

Never played nor do I have interest in either of these games so I didn't vote on this one.

#44 Posted by guiseppe (2837 posts) -

I've never gotten in to the Halo games, nor understood what's so great about them. GoW3 all the way.

#45 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4328 posts) -

Of course Halo would be in the lead....fuck that, Gears of War fo life, motherfuckers

#46 Posted by coaxmetal (1569 posts) -

the only one im not voting on because I havne't played either game. In the other polls i've played both.

#47 Posted by Disaya (279 posts) -

GoW3.

#48 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Honestly, these are two of my favourite games of the past generation. Although, as both are fantastic games, I feel like Halo was a far more complete package to me. Both had great cap-off's to the trilogy (series at the time) but Halo simply pushed the multiplayer aspect to unrivaled boundaries, even to this day.

#49 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2286 posts) -

Halo 3 just based off all the memories I have with that game. I started playing again over the summer with my buddy and now it's once again my go to multiplayer game.

Gears 3 was awesome and all, and probably the last great Gears game we'll get, but it doesn't hold a candle to H3. Plus, Gears 2 had the better maps and campaign... Just saying.

#50 Posted by NegativeCero (2974 posts) -

I'm going with Gears on this one. I've never been very active or good at the game, but team deathmatch and horde games with friends are some of the funnest experiences I've had with any online shooter. Plus they give you so much to do in that game, it really is the perfect package for Gears fans.