GotG Round 1: Heavy Rain vs. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Edited By mracoon

Poll GotG Round 1: Heavy Rain vs. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (617 votes)

Heavy Rain 46%
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective 54%

Main thread

Full bracket

This should be an interesting head-to-head between two very different kinds of detective games.

Heavy Rain (2010)

What the community has to say:

Despite these few flaws in the game, it still stands out as an exceptional piece of storytelling. The fact that you can direct how the scenes play out, and knowing they'll have an impact on later events, really gets you invested in each interaction. Imagine if each time you watched a movie, it was a different version than the one you saw before. That's what you get with Heavy Rain. This is a dark yet moving story that made me think about the characters and what they were willing to do to stop a killer. It's definitely a game that will stay on my mind for a while.

From user review by @jimmyjackjones

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (2010)

What the community has to say:

It's hard to quantify what makes a game like Ghost Trick so endearing. Much like the Ace Attorney series before it, Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective just has a kind of immeasurable charm that is difficult to accurately express through language alone. Perhaps it speaks solely to the strength of the writing, but if one thing is for certain it is that Shu Takumi has delivered once again on the concept of an enthralling virtual narrative.

From user review by @lordxavierbritish

Voting closes at 12pm GMT / 4am PST Thursday.

• 
DevourerOfTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

Ghost Trick is dark horse FInal 4 contender.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

I'm starting to wonder how many people that are like 'Fuck Heavy Rain, fucking thing sucks' have actually played it?

I think people actually miss the whole definition of 'Game of the Generation' thing to begin with in these polls, this isn't your favourite game out of the two , this is what in this generation of gaming did this game do differently that made it stand out from previous generations. (At least thats what I've thought these polls have been about, if it's simply Favourite Game of the Generation then fuck it, Fallout 3.)

Ghost Trick was a cool point and click puzzle adventure type game with a great art style, humorous story and set up and neat mechanics.

Heavy Rain on the other hand had its flaws - poor dialogue, voice acting and mishandled story. But it also strived to attempt things that games simply aren't doing right now - a sense of permanence, consequences for your actions, an adaptive story that crafted itself (not always successfully) around you. A mature, dark subject matter that games haven't tried to tackle before. A control scheme that strived to mimic the actions you were performing in game and make them some what relatable.

Were Quantic Dream always successful in everything they tried to do with Heavy Rain? No. But I'd much rather have games like this try and fail and push forward with interactive storytelling than have 100 more games that use the same recycled tropes and mechanics over and over again (not talking about Ghost Trick here just the games industry in general).

You missed the part where its actually up to you to decide how you define Game of the Generation.

As someone who played both I voted for Ghost Trick because I had more fun with it and didn't laugh at all the terrible dialogue and dumb accents.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

Ghost Trick is one of my favorite video games ever! EVER! Glad to see all the praise for it in this thread. I'd love to see how far it can go in this competition.

@danteveli said:

Had ore fun with Ghost Trick even if the story turned out to be pretty silly.

If by "pretty silly" you mean "MASTERFUL", then I agree.

Exactly. Ghost Trick's story is waaaaaay crazier than Heavy Rain, and somehow manages to have almost no plot holes and wrap up everything nicely, which can't really be said for Cage's game. Man, just the characters, the writing, everything in Ghost Trick is SO GOOD!!!! I just want to type out all the wacky stuff that happens, but I'd hate to ruin the game for anyone who has not played it.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Ghost trick is both more of a video game than Heavy Rain and far better written. I'm very happy to see it winning but if Heavy Rain somehow wins I'll lose faith in humanity.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Ghost Trick is such a good game, you guys.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

how is it even this close what the fuck

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Heavy Rain is a straight up, bad game.

I'm not as crazy for Ghost Trick as a lot of you, but I still think it's a good game. So uh, good game beats bad game.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#58  Edited By crithon

this is going to be close

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Heavy Rain was so dumb that I enjoyed it a lot; also it was best played with other people.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Oh come on guys, I know most of you never played Ghost Trick and got enthralled by David Cage's vision but really, Ghost Trick.

Kain55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I haven't played either and have absolutely no opinion either so I will abstain from this one. May the best game win.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#62  Edited By Skytylz

Really glad Ghost Trick is winning this, Heavy Rain was ambitious but it completely fell flat.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By chrissedoff

@damodar said:

@yummylee said:

Unfortunately this is another pairing that leaves the choices a little one-sided for me, as I've never played Ghost Trick. Heavy Rain I at least genuinely enjoyed despite its faults, so I'm not completely opposed to giving it the vote anywhoo.

I kind of hope more people take the stance of just not voting if they haven't played both. It would be sad for an amazing game like Ghost Trick to lose a matchup more because it was the less-played of the two instead of because it was the lesser quality game.

I think Heavy Rain was interesting and enjoyable. It was another evolution of David Cage's weird experimenting and, despite some pretty big issues, it did actually have some pretty fantastic moments.

But Ghost Trick is the sort of game that makes me want to bully people in to playing it.

That would be an unreasonable expectation. Given the fact that all of us have limited money and time, we can't possibly be expected to play everything under the sun. If this were a tournament of between, say, songs which can be heard on YouTube for free and could be heard in a few minutes, that would be a reasonable thing to ask, but video games are expensive and very time-consuming. Besides, we usually are reasonably able to assess whether or not we would like a game simply by seeing videos, reading reviews, reading forums, hearing discussions on the Giant Bombcast and comparing what we hear, see and read with all of our own past experiences with games of that series or genre. It's far from foolproof, but I would guess that people are able to predict whether they would like a game or not with a pretty high rate of accuracy. People credit enough that we can assume that they've chosen to buy and play the games they have for a good reason.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#64  Edited By BisonHero

@chrissedoff said:

@damodar said:

@yummylee said:

Unfortunately this is another pairing that leaves the choices a little one-sided for me, as I've never played Ghost Trick. Heavy Rain I at least genuinely enjoyed despite its faults, so I'm not completely opposed to giving it the vote anywhoo.

I kind of hope more people take the stance of just not voting if they haven't played both. It would be sad for an amazing game like Ghost Trick to lose a matchup more because it was the less-played of the two instead of because it was the lesser quality game.

I think Heavy Rain was interesting and enjoyable. It was another evolution of David Cage's weird experimenting and, despite some pretty big issues, it did actually have some pretty fantastic moments.

But Ghost Trick is the sort of game that makes me want to bully people in to playing it.

That would be an unreasonable expectation. Given the fact that all of us have limited money and time, we can't possibly be expected to play everything under the sun. If this were a tournament of between, say, songs which can be heard on YouTube for free and could be heard in a few minutes, that would be a reasonable thing to ask, but with video games, which are expensive and very time-consuming. Besides, we usually are able to reasonably assess whether or not we would like a game simply by seeing videos, reading reviews, reading discussions on forums, hearing discussions on the Giant Bombcast and comparing with all of our own past experiences with games of that series or genre. It's far from foolproof, but I would guess that people are able to predict whether they would like a game or not and we have to give people credit enough to assume that they've chosen to buy and play the games they have for a good reason.

I think there are plenty of exceptions to your suggestion that we more or less have an idea of the quality of a game based on some impressions of it. Plenty of people disagree with the consensus.

If people are allowed to submit the overall reviewer/gamer consensus instead of their own, then this becomes a Metacritic battle/which game has the biggest cult following, and not indicative of what the Giant Bomb community actually thinks.

So I would also prefer it if people didn't vote if they haven't played each game, but obviously there's no way to enforce that at all so I've accepted that this is largely a popularity contest. And granted, some of these matchups feature good games that probably sold really poorly, and weren't played by a ton of community members. Looking at you, Valkyria Chronicles/Ghost Trick/Crusader Kings/Deadly Premonition.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By chrissedoff

@bisonhero: I don't think the results would differ much even if you distributed free copies to the all GB forum users, gave them 2 weeks off of work and paid them for their time. People tend to know themselves pretty well. I can certainly say with confidence you that the games you mentioned specifically would not have fared significantly better in a scenario where everyone voting had played every game in the tournament. I think you're overestimating the power of hype and marketing on us avid video gamesmen and underestimating the judgment of the GB community collectively. People, by and large, know what they like and the least effective way to change or broaden people's tastes is by demanding that they do so.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@bisonhero: I don't think the results would differ much even if you distributed free copies to the all GB forum users, gave them 2 weeks off of work and paid them for their time. People tend to know themselves pretty well. I can certainly say with confidence you that the games you mentioned specifically would not have fared significantly better in a scenario where everyone voting had played every game in the tournament. I think you're overestimating the power of hype and marketing on us avid video gamesmen and underestimating the judgment of the GB community collectively. People, by and large, know what they like and the least effective way to change or broaden people's tastes is by demanding that they do so.

It's hard to effectively judge games you haven't played and have had minimal exposure to. Two weeks with every game in this bracket wouldn't necessarily change minds, but they'd certainly make people think more.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cute pomeranian is stupid...so Ghost Trick

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@damodar said:

@yummylee said:

That would be an unreasonable expectation. Given the fact that all of us have limited money and time, we can't possibly be expected to play everything under the sun. If this were a tournament of between, say, songs which can be heard on YouTube for free and could be heard in a few minutes, that would be a reasonable thing to ask, but video games are expensive and very time-consuming. Besides, we usually are reasonably able to assess whether or not we would like a game simply by seeing videos, reading reviews, reading forums, hearing discussions on the Giant Bombcast and comparing what we hear, see and read with all of our own past experiences with games of that series or genre. It's far from foolproof, but I would guess that people are able to predict whether they would like a game or not with a pretty high rate of accuracy. People credit enough that we can assume that they've chosen to buy and play the games they have for a good reason.

Well yes, it would be unreasonable to expect everyone to play all of these games. It's perhaps less unreasonable to think people might not feel compelled to vote in every single poll that pops up on the site just for the sake of it. I just think it would make the results of this voting more interesting if they came from a place of having experienced enough of each game to make a more completely informed decision. I haven't actually voted that many times yet, because there have been a lot of matchups where I haven't played one of the games either at all or at least enough that I feel like I can fairly judge it. Saints Row: The Third is one of my favourite games this generation, but I'm not going to vote for it over Asura's Wrath because I haven't played Asura's Wrath yet. I'm not sitting in some ivory tower, having played every game, demanding that everyone else also play every game, as much as you seem to have interpreted my words that way.

Like I said, I don't want to see any game lose just because not as many people played it. The Mortal Kombat VS Street Fighter 4 poll was really interesting because it was incredibly close and both parties were involved in the discussion, articulating why they preferred their chosen game from differing angles and it was great to see the passionate response to it. Take the example of this thread though and the people extolling the virtues of Ghost Trick far outweigh those defending Heavy Rain, but Heavy Rain has a substantial amount of the vote. I trust people to have an idea of what they will and will not like, myself included. That doesn't mean I'll never write off or ignore a really good game. Who knows? I might fucking love Xenoblade Chronicles. I wouldn't know because I haven't played it yet. Although I'm sure there are plenty of people who love that game that would be stoked if I DID try it out. Certainly, if Ghost Trick can do well (it won't, it's almost certainly gonna get blown up in the next round) and that compels some people to check out Ghost Trick, that would be a fantastic outcome. Everyone's personal best lists of the generation are going to differ greatly from these collaborative ones, so it's the passionate defence of the outlier that interests me much, much more than the popular game that didn't offend anybody.

danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think people actually miss the whole definition of 'Game of the Generation' thing to begin with in these polls, this isn't your favourite game out of the two , this is what in this generation of gaming did this game do differently that made it stand out from previous generations. (At least thats what I've thought these polls have been about, if it's simply Favourite Game of the Generation then fuck it, Fallout 3.)

This is the heart of the issue though, those are your definitions for what makes something "Game of the Generation". Others may not share the opinion that simply doing something different means that a game deserves a spot on this list, especially as you admit, the game had some pretty glaring flaws.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

See, I figured this was the "GB's community's favourite game of the generation", or at least that's the impression I got from the initial thread. I don't think it's possible for so many different people to arbitrarily decide which game was the most influential or unique, because even then that probably depends on what kind of games you like.

That said, under either category, I'd probably still take Ghost Trick. It was an incredible experience on a platform that didn't have as many of those as the home consoles. It's a tightly-structured game with some real personality to the characters. I enjoyed Heavy Rain, but the gameplay didn't feel that advanced from what Fahrenheit / Indigo Prophecy achieved, and the characters for the most part weren't as strong as I would have liked to have seen, especially given that game's heavy focus on story. A lot of them felt a little cookie-cutter (it actually almost hurts me to say that, it's really too strong of a phrase, but we're nitpicking here).

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#71  Edited By mracoon

A closely fought contest but Ghost Trick manages to solve the case first and wins with 54% of the vote and 601 votes cast.