• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by mracoon (4990 posts) 1 year, 2 months ago

Poll: GotG Round 1: Portal 2 vs. Deadly Premonition (737 votes)

Portal 2 77%
Deadly Premonition 23%

Main thread

Full bracket

The funniest game of the generation verses the 'funniest' game of the generation.

Portal 2 (2011)

What the community has to say:

All in all every tiny piece that makes up Portal 2 is incredible in its quality and any weaknesses in the game seem simply miniscule and trivial in the face of everything else. The game not only stands up as one of the greatest puzzle games ever created, but also one of the greatest games of this generation. Unless the thought of any kind of puzzle game makes you wish you curl up in a corner and place a gun to your head, I implore you to check out Portal 2. Games of this quality are very few and far between, and Portal 2 is a consistently amazing journey from start to finish.

From user review by @gamer_152

Deadly Premonition (2010)

What the community has to say:

[T]his game is finding a place in gaming history as one of the first titles to straddle that fine line between bad and bad. We might, as gamers, finally have our "Plan 9 from Outerspace" and with the director, Swery, our Ed Wood.

From user review by @arkadysmile

Voting closes at 12pm GMT / 4am PST Monday.

#1 Posted by probablytuna (3906 posts) -

I really enjoyed both games, but overall Portal 2 is better.

#2 Posted by TheHT (12005 posts) -

Sorry Portal 2.

#3 Edited by weegieanawrench (1943 posts) -

I know it's going to lose, but DP will have my vote every time.

#4 Edited by spankingaddict (2747 posts) -

Perfection vs. Terrible

Hmmmm , which one to choose .

#5 Posted by Yummylee (22684 posts) -

Never played Portal 2, but by gum do I love me some Deadly Premonition! Alas, there's no chance it's going to win, but I at least done my part.

#6 Edited by MideooonNVisceraaa (9 posts) -

Deadly Premonition makes me think so Sandra Bullock (no idea why) so Portal 2 for sure.

#7 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3115 posts) -

No contest. Deadly Premonition is only included because of the Endurance Run. It's a terrible game, even if its quirkiness is charming.

#8 Edited by McLargepants (408 posts) -

Yeah... Deadly Premonition shouldn't be on this bracket, and Portal 2 is incredible. Voting is easy for this one.

Even though Portal 1 puts Portal 2 to shame.

#9 Posted by Vanick (332 posts) -

Portal 2 easily. Deadly Premonition maybe weird fun but it's not a great game.

#10 Posted by SarcasticMudcrab (216 posts) -

While I never want games like Deadly Premonition to stop being made, and could live without 1st person puzzle games, it has to be Portal 2.

#11 Posted by RazielCuts (2997 posts) -

No contest. Deadly Premonition is only included because of the Endurance Run. It's a terrible game, even if its quirkiness is charming.

This is how I feel. It's the Saints Row 3 effect. Irony is cool you guise (!)

#12 Posted by Abendlaender (2911 posts) -

As much as I love Deadly Premonition, Portal 2 is just better in every way. Incidentally Portal 1 is also better than Portal 2. Just sayin'

#13 Posted by Spoonman671 (4837 posts) -

Thank you for pairing it up with Portal 2 first. Glad to see Deadly Premonition get knocked out early. Including it to begin with should appease the delusional.

#14 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4610 posts) -

Portal 2, while amusing, is a joke delivery machine ala Stanley Parable. The puzzles are way too easy, with most being a case of 'find the only place it will let me put the portal'. The co-op is better, but pretty short. Deadly Premonition may be totally borked in the weirdest ways, but I get the feeling it has a lot more going on, so... yeah.

#15 Edited by Zero_ (1977 posts) -

lol... Deadly Premonition. Obviously we know who the winner is here, but it's just nice to think back to the VJ/BR ER days... thinking back to it, that was so much fun.

#16 Posted by awesomeusername (4251 posts) -

Portal is my second favorite game this gen with The Last of Us being first so hmmm, lemme think.

#17 Edited by Pr1mus (3978 posts) -

I will continue to think that anyone who thinks Deadly Premonition is good in any way other than "it's so bad it's good" is a lunatic until i die. If there's an afterlife then i will continue to think that for a very long time.

#18 Edited by Yummylee (22684 posts) -
@razielcuts said:

@shadowconqueror said:

I loved my time with Deadly Premonition, and I've never even watched the ER's at that. Yes, the gameplay is bad, but it's still incredibly unique and has a surprisingly entertaining story to back it up. To imply that people like it purely because of irony or because of its infamy surrounding the ER is moronic. This is doubly so with something like Saints Row The Third, even though I personally still vastly prefer SR2, while I also thought SRIV was much more fun.

I shouldn't need to tell you this, but I guess you need to be reminded that people like a variety of games for a variety of reasons, so maybe you should stop with the overly reductive 'irony' excuse for why some people like games that you don't.

EDIT: Though I should also add that Deadly Premonition doesn't quite even hit my own top ten of the generation (top 20 undoubtedly, though), and I hardly think it deserves to be anyway near any sort of Game of the Generation contest. It's the annoying generalisation for why people must assuredly like any specific anything that really got on my nerves.

#19 Posted by Demoskinos (15300 posts) -

@yummylee said:
@razielcuts said:

@shadowconqueror said:

I loved my time with Deadly Premonition, and I've never even watched the ER's at that. Yes, the gameplay is bad, but it's still incredibly unique and has a surprisingly entertaining story to back it up. To imply that people like it purely because of irony or because of its infamy surrounding the ER is moronic. This is doubly so with something like Saints Row The Third, even though I personally still vastly prefer SR2, while I also thought SRIV was much more fun.

I shouldn't need to tell you this, but I guess you need to be reminded that people like a variety of games for a variety of reasons, so maybe you should stop with the overly reductive 'irony' excuse for why some people like games that you don't.

Possibly that isn't everyone's reasons for liking it but it is absolutely in that category of games and I'd be willing to bet the number of people who like it ironically outweighs the people who just straight up like it.

#20 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1872 posts) -

I loved my time with Deadly Premonition and it is certainly one of the most unforgettable games I've ever played, but come on...

#21 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (481 posts) -

I love Deadly Premonition's stupidity and thought the ERs were hilarious, but c'mon guys. That game is terrible. I love it, but it's terrible.

#22 Posted by mrfluke (5394 posts) -

this is just a mean matchup

portal 2 is taking this easily.

#23 Edited by BeachThunder (12610 posts) -

I voted for the game with a good PC version :P

#24 Edited by Coafi (1494 posts) -

I had fun with both games, but I was more interested in Deadly Premonition's story than Portal 2. So, that gets my vote.

To the people saying DP is terrible, how are you judging the game? Is it solely based on gameplay?

#25 Posted by Atlas (2462 posts) -

Glad to see that the GB community is making the right choice here. I know that Deadly Premonition is hella charming and unique, but Portal 2 is, well...Portal 2.

#26 Posted by Nasar7 (2870 posts) -

Deadly Premonition. Vote with your heart.

#27 Posted by armaan8014 (5499 posts) -

I know it's going to lose, but DP will have my vote every time.

Same :)

#28 Edited by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

Deadly Premonition is a charming but broken game. Portal 2 is a charming and excellently executed game.

#29 Posted by Kain55 (139 posts) -

Portal 2 is up there with my favorite games ever, and DP plays like hot garbage, even a fascinating story can't save it from that. Portal 2 has to take it for me.

#30 Edited by Milkman (17500 posts) -

Deadly Premonition is great but Portal 2 is Portal 2. Against another game I would fight for DP but I just can't here.

#31 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12261 posts) -

Deadly Premonition's earnest, charming weirdness doesn't save it from the part where it looks and plays like it came out for the Dreamcast in 2000.

#32 Posted by Madz (66 posts) -

Deadly Premonition is a unique and very emotionally rich experience, Portal 2 is a great and funny game that had to build from the ground its raison d'être since Portal 1 was all about what was behind the curtains.

In the grand scheme I believe wholeheartedly that Deadly Premonition is a much stronger experience all around.

#33 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11499 posts) -

The fact that Deadly Premonition is losing this (by a LARGE margin) makes me sad. Very, very, sad.

Every one of you that voted for Portal 2 is the worst.

I'm now done with this game of the generation business if, "one of the greatest games of all time" (quote from Vinny Caravella) can lose to Portal 2.

#34 Posted by RecSpec (4068 posts) -

I was worried for a sec, but I'm glad to see Deadly Premonition get beat down.

#35 Edited by Zero_Tactility (64 posts) -

Internet polls don't cause me pain; Deadly Premonition's still a great game. So says Mr. Stewart.

#36 Edited by Fattony12000 (7634 posts) -

command and conquer renegade

#37 Posted by theanticitizen (277 posts) -

Honestly, I found Deadly Premonition to be one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played. The mechanics never bothered me because they rarely got in the way. I was never really frustrated with them. It's actually in the top 5 of my favorite games of all time at this point. The story was so much more intriguing after digging deeper into it, like listening to The Squadcast about it. I found it to be completely unforgettable. However, I couldn't tell you a thing about Portal 2 except how it opens. It was sharp, well written, but to me, entirely forgettable and it felt like an expanded version of Portal 1. It brought nothing new to the game and I fell off that game pretty quickly. I didn't feel like I wanted to learn more about what was going on. It was over and that was that for me.

#38 Posted by Video_Game_King (36271 posts) -

Why are these polls always a landslide?

#39 Posted by horseman6 (484 posts) -

If this was Deadly Premonition vs Portal 1 then I would go Portal. Portal 2 is kind of a mess; it's too long, not as funny, and has far fewer interesting puzzles than the original.

Deadly Premonition is just ridiculous, and I love ridiculous stuff.

#40 Edited by Castiel (2791 posts) -

Without having played any of them, though I have watched both DP ers and seen plenty of Portal 2, I would have to say Portal 2 is probably the better game. DP is great in it's own way, but the controls seems terrible and the combat seems tedious, and since we are talking about the best game of the generation I find it ridiculous if DP were to win.

Also it kinda rubs me the wrong way that Swery just won't admit that the game is heavily, I mean HEAVILY, inspired by Twin Peaks, it kinda kills some of the charm for me. Twin Peaks did a lot of the things that many of DP fans finds so great in terms of the story and the characters, but Twin Peaks did it a long time before. It wouldn't bother me so much if he would just admit that Twin Peaks is a big inspiration.

But I will give DP this: "Life is Beautiful" is one of the catchiest video game melodies since the Super Mario Brothers theme.

#41 Edited by Draxyle (1904 posts) -

Deadly Premonition gets a pity vote from me. Portal 2 is clearly the better game, but everything surrounding Deadly Premonition is goddamn fascinating from an empirical perspective. It's the kind of oddity that the industry needs more of, even if it's weaker than the tried and true big budget titles.

#42 Posted by TowerSixteen (544 posts) -

@video_game_king: I suppose because it's round one, and we're knocking out all of the weaker entries? I suspect it'll have more close votes each round. I mean, c'mon...Deadly Premonition?

#43 Posted by NegativeCero (3052 posts) -

Deadly Premonition winning this would be hilarious. I definitely think it deserves props for being in the so bad/weird, it's good category, but Portal 2 was straight up good.

#44 Posted by Ferros (223 posts) -

I know DP can't win but I have to vote for it.

#45 Edited by jakob187 (21788 posts) -

Dood, Portal. It's fucking Portal. That's not EVEN close to fair for Deadly Premonition.

#46 Edited by BaconGames (3614 posts) -

Some of these are honest-to-goodness fights. Others are just to get rid of games that are on the list for weird reasons. Let's take this moment to appreciate that Deadly Premonition got on this list because of what it is and the Endurance Run but leave it at that and move on. We'vw got some more devastating choices to make.

#47 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

I love Deadly Premonition for how hilariously terrible it is as the next guy, but let's drop the joke for a moment: Portal 2 is a better game in almost every way.

#48 Posted by von_wemberg (169 posts) -

Don't know if it says much, but I stopped playing Portal 2 half way through and I kind of want to play through Deadly Premonition (have seen the ER, but still want to play it...)

#49 Posted by Flappy (2376 posts) -

Agent York deserves better.

#50 Edited by Dalai (7093 posts) -

Deadly Premonition should just feel great to be nominated.