GotG Round 1: XCOM: Enemy Unknown vs. Valkyria Chronicles

• 112 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Poll GotG Round 1: XCOM: Enemy Unknown vs. Valkyria Chronicles (738 votes)

XCOM: Enemy Unknown 72%
Valkyria Chronicles 28%

Main thread

Full bracket

A difficult one for fans of tactical turn-based strategy games.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012)

What the community has to say:

As a sum of its parts XCOM: Enemy Unknown is an excellent game that should not be overlooked. The game can be overwhelming at times but in a good way that can be a test of your own tactics and decisions, while being very rewarding when you overcome the challenges it presents you. It is a title that presents complexity and multiple interconnected systems and packages it into an easily digestible experience. Catering to hardcore strategy players and still being perfectly accessible and enjoyable to newer players and can leave you coming back for just one more mission.

From user review by @bubba1287

Valkyria Chronicles (2008)

What the community has to say:

I really enjoyed Valkyria Chronicles and whole-heartedly recommend it to anyone who enjoys turn-based SRPGs. I'm giving it five stars because I feel that it filled all of my expectations and then some, and because a good SRPG is really hard to find these days.

From user review by @patchinko

Voting closes at 12pm GMT / 4am PST Sunday.

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got begged for like two years to play VC before I eventually got around to it, and while I'm not one of those who will defend it to the death, even I never noticed any weird movement/cover issues whatsoever. If you're trying to move for every last millimeter you can squeeze through without getting targeted, then I could see someone getting attacked and stuck in position, but you're not really supposed to be playing that way.

All the problems in that game comes from the weird spikes in difficulty (including That One Level that's already been mentioned, and led to me savescumming my way through the level and losing characters I really liked just because the plot demanded this random character appear out of nowhere and kill everyone she came into contact with) and how easily the mechanics are broken. Using all of your orders on a single person (a scout, for example) can effectively make them invincible and capable of running across the entire map in a single turn, and how so many bosses lend themselves well to just being cheated. (I beat the final boss by abusing a loophole in the way the game calculates defense, and reloading until I got skills to activate in a certain chain. It was either that or banging my head against the wall for 6 hours.)

The story, characters, and aesthetics are pretty good, though. And outside of a couple levels the gameplay is such an effective kind of turn based strategy done fair that I really liked it. Also, really awesome music.

So, I lend my vote to VC, as it is, not so surprisingly, the underdog.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#103  Edited By mosespippy

@marokai said:

(I beat the final boss by abusing a loophole in the way the game calculates defense, and reloading until I got skills to activate in a certain chain. It was either that or banging my head against the wall for 6 hours.)

That's one strategy, sure. Or you could destroy the nodes with snipers or accurate lances and use the smoke screen to get shock troopers behind Maxamillian. Once one shocktrooper gets him turned around you can have another on the other side. You can get him going around back and forth till you run out of CP. I think it takes 2 or 3 turns to finish the mission.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy: I promise that I gave it the good college try for a couple hours. It's been a couple years since I played it, but I distinctly remember that everything just sort of spiraled out of control for me if I didn't nail the first few turns. I probably would've had more patience for it had I not dealt with two or three other super shitty levels that tried my patience. I still think it's a good game, mind.

Edit: I also marathoned that game within a three day period, so I had fried my nerves at some point.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

@marokai: Marathoning is not the way to play that game. When I went though it I was playing Rock Band with my room mates every other day and having Warhawk clan practice daily, so I could only play one mission a day. Sometimes I could only get through the story part between missions before I had to switch to something else. I think that's the way to play it. VC2 and VC3 on the other hand are much easier and have shorter missions. It's easy to blast through 4 or 5 in a sitting, as the settings are smaller and aren't as important plus there are less cutscenes between missions.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#106  Edited By Tennmuerti

@golguin said:

XCOM is one of the few games I've ever regretting playing. People who weren't familiar with the genre over hyped the thing and so I went in expecting to get my mind blown. What I found was a mediocre game with easily exploited mechanics. Snipers with squad sight on overwatch kill everything.

While that combo is indeed over powered compared to your other options, it's nowhere near enough to get you through Impossible by itself or with ease, and it only sort of starts working again once you get plasma snipers on impossible.

Plus if you found the difficulty lacking and too exploitable, the game had not only impossible and ironman modes, but also the second wave options which raised the difficulty even further.

Oh and squad sight being OP is one thing they are addressing in the expansion, by nerfing squad sight and buffing snap shot. (tho imo they should have done that in a patch earlier)

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Valkyria Chronicles is everything XCOM is, but with a good story and great characters on top of it.

This.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I will vote for Xcom, but man Valkyria did so much I didn't expect. It was simply a joy to discover. The more I think about it, Xcom played it safe compared to Valkyria

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

I really liked X-Com but about half-way through it became very repetitive, very quickly. I never finished Valkyria Chronicles but I did get at least half-way through the game. I had a lot of fun with it and is one of the few JRPG's I actually liked this generation (aside from Resonance of Fate). VC for me.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#110  Edited By Hunter5024

I've ceased to be sad that one of these games has to lose, and now I am happy that one of these games will definitely win.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I feel like one of the few people that didn't like X-COM. I never played Valkyria Chronicles; no vote here.

TheMathlete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#112  Edited By TheMathlete

This thread reminded me that I own a copy of Valkyria Chronicles and haven't played it yet. Probably should get on that at some point in time, probably next year.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

XCOM is one of the few games I've ever regretting playing. People who weren't familiar with the genre over hyped the thing and so I went in expecting to get my mind blown. What I found was a mediocre game with easily exploited mechanics. Snipers with squad sight on overwatch kill everything.

somebody doesn't know about "all heavies, no medkits" :(

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

I need to play Valkyria again.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#115  Edited By mracoon

XCOM scores a critical hit and wins with 72% of the vote and 698 votes cast.