GotG Round 2: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare vs. Journey

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Edited By mracoon

Poll GotG Round 2: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare vs. Journey (644 votes)

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 58%
Journey 44%

Main thread

Full bracket

Two polar opposite games go head-to-head but will CoD4 gun down its opponent or can Journey reach its apotheosis first.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007)

Journey (2012)

Voting closes at 12pm GMT / 4am PST Sunday.

• 
CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By CaLe

Did Journey let anyone curve an arm-dismembering-bullet from a high-powered sniper rifle? Didn't think so.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By weegieanawrench

Damn this match up.

Edit: Journey, I love you, but I think I have to look at this match objectively.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By csl316

CoD 4 was a hell of a game. And I still think Unfinished Swan was better than Journey.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Dude...Modern Warfare was awesome even for my sorry ass. Hell, the single player was good even back then.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Deranged

Yeah, this is unfair. Modern Warfare had an incredible campaign and arguably one of the most revolutionary multiplayer components of our time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a feeling this one is going to be close. CoD4 is why shooters are how they are right now. But on the other hand a lot of people hold strong feelings towards Journey.

I voted for CoD because it was the last purely fps experience I remember enjoying and I still feel somewhat good about about that experience.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

56% to 51%. I think that those numbers may be off a bit

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will be so disappointed if Journey wins this one.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@cale said:

Did Journey let anyone curve an arm-dismembering-bullet from a high-powered sniper rifle? Didn't think so.

No Caption Provided

You didn't play that part in Journey? It was pretty fucked up, sand EVERYWHERE!

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

While im out of the COD mentality now it wasnt lways the case, MW was amazing from the single player campaign to the year of daily multiplayer.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

It's interesting to me that even though there has been a lot of talk about shooter fatigue and CoD knock-offs over the previous years, a lot of y'all still obviously have real good memories of CoD4. CoD4 is in some ways a more significant game, and certainly a more broadly popular one, but I think we're already starting to see Journey-likes appearing (you could definitely see some design parallels in Brothers), and that trend may well continue. So I'm not convinced that it's a conclusive argument which game is the more impactful and influential in the industry.

That said, for most of these votes I've gone for the game that I like the most, over some kind of objective impact on the industry or wider popularity stuff, so for me this is an easy one, as I never really played CoD4 and I fucking adore Journey.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I like Journey an awful lot, but Call of Duty 4 has to take this.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

Call of Duty by far. I did not like Journey and COD4 was so great at the time.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

The indie crowd's gonna be fucking pissed at these poll results.

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

COD 4's still really great, but playing so so so much of CS/Battlefield in college, I was already sort of on that military FPS fatigue and was kind of biased against MW for taking elements from both and making them fun on a console. Lol because of that petty bias, I voted for Journey, where I had the good feels throughout.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mikeeegeee

Journey is the best game I've ever played. MW4 is rightly revered, but in truth, I'm a little disgusted at how it began the serialization of the franchise.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

56% + 49% is more than 100%.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a tough one, but Call of Duty 4 was just so special at the time and continues to be, even to this day years later it's impact is still felt and still being build upon.

Props to Journey though. Great experience, wonderful audio and visuals. Shame it has to go.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Journey was gorgeous, and the communication aspect was very interesting.

COD4 was both an amazing game and hugely impactful on the industry.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Journey made me feel something for once.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Journey, all day.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love you Journey. Please don't be mad at me...

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Journey for me

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#24  Edited By Hailinel

@face15 said:

56% + 49% is more than 100%.

I think these GOTG polls are really testing the limits on the poll system.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hatking

This is about what game I liked better and not which one I think was more important to the medium, right? Because, Journey.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HH

COD does not need anymore attention, it already made all that money,

Journey deserves all the praise it gets, it's kind of important that more people get turned on to it actually, i only played it recently, because of the first Gotg poll, and i'm so glad I did.

COD, nobody really needs that to keep spreading, do they?

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HH
@hatking said:

This is about what game I liked better and not which one I think was more important to the medium, right? Because, Journey.

isn't Journey the answer to both?

COD is a refined formula. Journey is a breakthrough.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By hatking

@hh said:
@hatking said:

I don't think Call of Duty 4 was as formulaic as people make it out to be. Keep in mind this was before the campaign in a Call of Duty game was an afterthought. There were some pretty powerful moments in there, and the multiplayer had the most profound impact on competitive multiplayer games since Halo CE. Now, if we're talking about the sequels, formulaic is a more fair statement.

Journey did some really profoundly amazing things. That's why I love it. That's why I chose it. But I'm not going to delude myself by saying that it had a (direct) significant impact on the industry. That's fine though, I love it even more for being something unique.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Call of Duty 4 is undoubtedly one of the greatest games of all time, both in terms of gameplay and impact on the industry.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is a bummer. I get that COD4 was a big deal, but it is Journey. I can live with it going to COD4, I suppose.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mems1224

@hh said:
@hatking said:

lol journey is pretentious gibberish. its not a breakthrough

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By artelinarose

I played neither of these, but honestly as much as I dislike the series I think that CoD4 practically defined what this entire generation was and it has my vote based on that.

I'm not happy that it did in the slightest, but I won't actively deny its impact and influence just because I'm a petty jerk.

planetary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The top position game seems to be winning everything in round 2. WTF?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Fuck Journey.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

The top position game seems to be winning everything in round 2. WTF?

More concerning is that the percentages are routinely out of whack and are adding up to values well above 100%.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Journey is one of the best games of the generation and for me it's just too hard to look at CoD in a vacuum, dispite how much i played and enjoyed that game. Journey is an easy choice but I don't expect it to win

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Journey but the amount of fun I had and the impact it had on gaming made me go with CoD 4.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By toowalrus

@cale said:

No Caption Provided

You didn't play that part in Journey? It was pretty fucked up, sand EVERYWHERE!

Was there Blood on the Sand?

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By HH

@hatking said:

Journey did some really profoundly amazing things. That's why I love it. That's why I chose it. But I'm not going to delude myself by saying that it had a (direct) significant impact on the industry. That's fine though, I love it even more for being something unique.

i don't know why you'd think you'd be deluding yourself, it was an inexpensive game, it had a big impact, probably connected a lot of people online, it's accessible to children, and to people who are put off by all the sci-fi / army nonsense in most games, it's not burdened by writing, and it relates an aspect of life that's far more relevant to people than anything else on offer. I wouldn't be surprised if ten or twenty years from now a lot of developers cited it as a major influence.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not as totally in love with either of these games as a lot of people, but man Journey is pretty great.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I gotta go with CoD4. Not only was it a great game. It was when the modern CoD formula was made and proven to be super successful. Not to mention the massive effect it's had on the industry in positive and arguably negative ways.

Journey is a nice little emotional experience and thats great. Just not game of the generation great.

noizy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As an old school players of FPS (as early as the original Wolfenstein and Doom) I was super impressed by COD4 at the time, just as much as I was super impressed by HL1 at the time. These days, the COD model is the template and we're all a bit sick of it, but damn was it impressive. Sadly PS3 left my life before Journey appeared; still a bit sad about never having played it (same with Last of Us).

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hh said:

@hatking said:

i don't know why you'd think you'd be deluding yourself, it was an inexpensive game, it had a big impact, probably connected a lot of people online, it's accessible to children, and to people who are put off by all the sci-fi / army nonsense in most games, it's not burdened by writing, and it relates an aspect of life that's far more relevant to people than anything else on offer. I wouldn't be surprised if ten or twenty years from now a lot of developers cited it as a major influence.

Maybe I'm a cynic, but this industry feels way too reactionary for that. It's all about what's selling at precisely that moment, and trying to mock your way to the top of the best sellers list. I guess that's what's nice about the independent scene, those guys are aren't beholden to any specific entity. Maybe that's where we'll see the influence?

Regardless, I think Journey is the better game. And I think that's what these polls are about, not which we predict will be more influential or important.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By beepmachine

Glad to see this is as close as it is. I voted Journey, but I really think cod4 might be the most generation defining game this time out. I don't really like those games but the single player was phenomenal.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

@cale said:

No Caption Provided

How do you think the main character in Journey lost BOTH their arms??

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

COD 4 was an amazing game. Both Campaign and Multiplayer. Without a doubt the most influential game of the generation.

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Call Of Duty 4.

Last great Call Of Duty game. Definitely in my personal Top 5 when it comes to games of this generation.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the battle of the games that "Hunter5024 kind of liked, but way less than everyone else." Call of Duty 4 was the only one I found playable cause it had that perk that boosted your health. Journey gave me a desert buddy. Call of Duty is the more influential choice, which is why I'm voting for Journey, because Call of Duty had a poisonous impact on FPS throughout the generation.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why are people voting for a game with jumping as a powerup, against the most influential title of the generation?

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played neither of these, but honestly as much as I dislike the series I think that CoD4 practically defined what this entire generation was and it has my vote based on that.

I'm not happy that it did in the slightest, but I won't actively deny its impact and influence just because I'm a petty jerk.

How can you vote if you have played neither?