GotG Round 2: Dark Souls vs. Street Fighter IV

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Poll GotG Round 2: Dark Souls vs. Street Fighter IV (762 votes)

Dark Souls 76%
Street Fighter IV 24%

Main thread

Full bracket

We're into Round 2 and it's nothing but tough match-ups from here on out.

I'm going to forego doing user review quotes this round as it was taking up too much time on my end. I'll bring them back in the later rounds when they're fewer games. Instead have some nice box art.

Dark Souls (2012)

Street Fighter IV (2009)

• 
chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@damodar: I will start playing again shortly before Ultra SFIV is released. Hopefully Honda and Balrog will be in good fighting shape at that time.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm pretty sure Dark Souls is going to win this whole thing.

My vote goes to Street Fighter IV though, because it changed a lot about fighting games.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fighting games and I have never really gotten on, and Street Fighter 4 didn't change that. Dark Souls though is an experience that just keeps dragging me back in time and time again. It’s going to take some beating in this contest.

Avatar image for disabilityfishy
DisAbiLityFisHy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Dark Souls has a good chance of winning the whole thing since Vinny's getting sucked back in, and along with him, the community.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I would really like SF4 to win.

Not only it is the best fighting game of the generation; not only revitalized personal favorite genre that many considered dead and open the door to games like MvC3 and MK9; but I really, really, reaaaaally didn't find Dark Souls appealing.

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Even if SF4 did "revitalize a genre," it's a genre I don't particularly give a shit about, and I'm not interested at all in that sort of meta-commentary a game brings. I only care about how much I enjoyed my time with a particular game, and Dark Souls will have my vote through the entire tournament.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By SarcasticMudcrab

Dark souls is one of the best games ever made on a console. It was so refreshing to finally play a game on my 360 that didn't treat me like a retard, games these days are more interactive media, constant hand holding, constant on screen button prompts telling me what to do, its been sad to see the industry go in that direction. Street fighter is kinda different obviously, can't really apply that to a fighting game, but still, dark souls should be looked at as a benchmark for what I pompously consider to be a real game

DrxLecter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SF4 was such a blatant cash grab rehash of SF2, if that constitutes 'revitalizing' the genre then maybe the genre deserved to die... plus MK9 > SF4 any day.

Also, Dark Souls deserves to win this whole thing, so this is a rather easy match-up.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#59  Edited By Hailinel

SF4 was such a blatant cash grab rehash of SF2, if that constitutes 'revitalizing' the genre then maybe the genre deserved to die...

Ha ha, no.

DrxLecter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@drxlecter said:

SF4 was such a blatant cash grab rehash of SF2, if that constitutes 'revitalizing' the genre then maybe the genre deserved to die...

Ha ha, no.

and how was it not? What real innovation was there in the game? and how many different full priced versions came out? Capcom capitalized on the nostalgia of SF2 and people ate it up.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@drxlecter: With the number of enhancements and additions to the gameplay, roster, and fighting system in general, to call it a rehash of Street Fighter II is both ignorant and absurd. It's fine if you like MK9 more, but credit needs to be given where it's due. Street Fighter IV didn't resurrect the genre, but it did a hell of a lot for it.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@drxlecter said:

That is an oversimplification as big as saying Dark Souls is a standard action adventure game (with some RPG elements thrown in for good measure) that capitalized on being old school hard...

Which kind of is.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By phrosnite

\o/ Praise the Sun

DrxLecter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By DrxLecter

@hermes said:

@drxlecter said:

That is an oversimplification as big as saying Dark Souls is a standard action adventure game (with some RPG elements thrown in for good measure) that capitalized on being old school hard...

Which kind of is.

I actually don't disagree with that classification in the slightest...

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The sun has been praised... :D

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

I get it, and I get why you're all doing this. But it's going to wound pretty deep.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark souls. It might be my game of the generation.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Democracy just doesn't work, people.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikelemmer: This game is essential. Or, at least some kind of wrestling mechanic in a souls game.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

I'm pretty sure Dark Souls is going to win this whole thing.

My vote goes to Street Fighter IV though, because it changed a lot about fighting games.

It... did? I don't remember it being particularly innovative beyond being I guess one of the first major online multiplayer capable fighting games of this gen that wasn't terribly broken.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Dark Souls continues its dominating run by winning with 76% of the vote and 744 votes cast.