This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 9 months, 12 days ago

Poll: GotG Round 2: Mass Effect 2 vs. Burnout Paradise (693 votes)

Mass Effect 2 82%
Burnout Paradise 18%

Main thread

Full bracket

I don't about you guys but my Commander Shepard was a big Avril Lavigne fan.

Mass Effect 2 (2010)

Burnout Paradise (2008)

Voting closes at 2pm GMT / 4am PST

#1 Posted by JadeGL (817 posts) -

Mass Effect 2. I really enjoyed Burnout, but Mass Effect 2 was almost perfect in every way to me.

#2 Posted by CaLe (3957 posts) -

Thane is pretty hot for an alien.

#3 Posted by Nightriff (4988 posts) -

ME2, never played Burnout Paradise but ME2 is one of the fonder memories I have of these consoles, could have a chance at winning this whole thing.

#4 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Paradise wasn't even as good as Revenge I don't know how it got this far.

#5 Posted by Demoskinos (14753 posts) -

Im going to be disgusted when ME2 wins this while tournament.

#6 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -

Haha! Mass Effect 2. Easy one.

#7 Posted by AMyggen (2827 posts) -

@angeln7: It got this far because it's a beloved, absolutely amazing racing game.

But ME2 for me too.

#8 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5405 posts) -

I love Burnout Paradise a whole lot, but Mass Effect easily wins this one for me.

#9 Edited by Pr1mus (3868 posts) -

Burnout Paradise is when that franchise died for me. It's not even a little bit close to how awesome Burnout 3 and Revenge were.

#10 Posted by ZolRoyce (661 posts) -

@angeln7 said:

Paradise wasn't even as good as Revenge I don't know how it got this far.

100% Agreed, somehow everybody got around to loving Paradise so much but I just damn near hate it, I wish they would go back to the Revenge type of games, those were great.

#11 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2140 posts) -

Can we just have a poll right now to determine if ME2 should be named the GotG and have the rest of the tourney be for second place?

#12 Posted by coaxmetal (1605 posts) -

I liked both of these, but burnout paradise is the better game

#13 Edited by Gatehouse (607 posts) -

I've still no idea why I haven't played Burnout Paradise, but Mass Effect 2 was so damn good it just has to win this round.

#14 Posted by Trilogy (2648 posts) -

Yea, that was easy. ME2 is so damn good.

#15 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

ME2 is where I noticed Bioware losing it. Still a good game. I'm a sucker for racing games, so this goes to Burnout IMO.

#16 Edited by Cronus42 (275 posts) -

@manhattan_project: I'd be willing to bet ME2 ends up winning it all. Game is so damn near perfect.

#17 Posted by Milkman (16640 posts) -

Both of these games would be in my top 10 but Mass Effect 2 would slightly higher.

#18 Posted by Korolev (1703 posts) -

ME2 was fricken' mind-blowing in 2010. It's still a great game today.

#19 Posted by Vanick (327 posts) -

Burnout Paradise was my favorite racer of this generation but I love me some Mass Effect.

#20 Posted by Jimbo (9799 posts) -

2010 had AC Brotherhood, ME2 and Red Dead. Not bad, 2010.

Burnout Paradise was a great game, but ME2 takes this for me. Brotherhood wins 2010 though.

#21 Edited by Daneian (1228 posts) -

I love you Burnout Paradise but sayonara.

#22 Edited by Castiel (2572 posts) -

Moment of truth: I think ME 2 is a little overrated... and I spent over 50+ hours on it and beaten the story plus every single piece of dlc for it and every character specific mission. The final boss battle is SO fucking dumb, it might be one of the dumbest boss battles in the history of vidja games. Also the gameplay really isn't that great; I mean it's functional but I never had that much fun in the combat scenarios. It was the dialogue chooses that people seem to like and they are kinda fun, it's just a damn shame you have to fight your way through the bland third person shooting to get to them. Also fuck mining!

I had more fun with Burnout Paradise while it lasted than I ever did with ME 2.

#23 Posted by Pop (2623 posts) -

Lol, when I clicked on the link to come here, I was like. Aww, this is easy, and I checked the Burnout Paradise button, stopped, and now I'm like:

I can't choose!

#24 Posted by L33T_HAXOR (261 posts) -

My vote goes to the game where I can do it with like, six aliens.

#25 Posted by triviaman09 (799 posts) -

Sorry, Burnout.

#26 Posted by Immortal_Guy (111 posts) -

This would be an easy win for Burnout Paradise if the races had a checkpoint system like the midnight club games, but I found navigating at high speeds such a problem that it's an easy win for Mass Effect. Maybe it was my own incompetence, but the constant fear of missing a turn made the races super not-fun - I can't check my map when I'm going at 20 bazillion miles per hour!

#27 Posted by BeachThunder (11828 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 isn't the best Mass Effect game, but I'm voting for it anyway...

#28 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3228 posts) -

It's criminal they just threw Thane in the garbage for ME3.

#29 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

If I have to roll with ME2 as my ME of choice (I prefer 3, for all its flaws) then it's easy.

But Burnout Paradise is PRETTY GREAT.

#30 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 is fucking amazing.

#31 Posted by BIGJEFFREY (4918 posts) -

Miranda

#32 Posted by SarcasticMudcrab (166 posts) -

Well me2 wasn't as good as the 1st one but I'm not really into racing games, the crash mode in the early burnout games was the most fun I've had with the series. Kinda reluctant vote here but it goes to mass effect 2.

#33 Posted by golguin (3874 posts) -

Mass Effect 2. I don't know why Dragon Age Origins is in the other bracket when Mass Effect 2 just does everything better.

#34 Posted by Broomhitches (173 posts) -

I'm surprised that Burnout is even in this bracket. Mass Effect 2 wins this one.

#35 Edited by AndrewB (7575 posts) -

These game of the generation threads are really rubbing me wrong. There are games I wouldn't normally even play which I accept to be defining moments in video game history which have been paired against other games that appeal to me and I adore. I'm not qualified to even post in half of these.

In this case, I would say that both of these games would be in my top of the generation, although I still say that Burnout: Revenge is my favorite Burnout game. Yet I voted for Mass Effect 2, because it's my favorite in the series and one of my favorites - of not my favorite - from this generation.

#36 Posted by Zleunamme (655 posts) -

This is a tough choice but I'll go with Mass Effect 2.

#37 Posted by Pie (7078 posts) -

You're all wrong

#38 Edited by forteexe21 (351 posts) -

HEY HEY. YOU YOU.

Going to give it to my first platinum trophy. Burnout paradise has everything, including post-release support with free DLC. I think only game that did DLC right.

#39 Edited by Sinusoidal (1409 posts) -

I love the idea of driving games, but whenever I play one, I just think "I do this shit all the time in real life and don't have any fun there either" and just stop playing. Burnout Paradise has the questionable honor of being the only driving game I bought this generation, but then found out that all the coolest crashing stuff from previous Burnouts (which I'd played and actually enjoyed at friend's houses) was gone. I'm also pissed that this is Mass Effect 2 and not 1 - which I thought had a lot more character, bugs and all, than the sequel. Maybe I'll just stay out of this one.

#40 Posted by crithon (3121 posts) -

ugh..... the hard choice...... Mass Effect is so linear, has those small strip mall style worlds you visit, shooting is slightly better...... Burnout Paradise is so delightful, just the whole simple exploration of this BIG MASSIVE Town, this is probably the best open world game, seriously. Burnout is just perfection, how they handle the d pad, press buttons and immediately on a race, or just hunting one another. GWAD, it's just bliss.

#41 Edited by charlie_victor_bravo (987 posts) -

If Burnout Paradise had better navigation system (ala SR3) and snappier menus, this might be bit more even fight, but now ME2 wins this clearly.

#42 Posted by mrfluke (5130 posts) -

Mass effect 2 has to make it all the way.

Sorry Burnout.

#43 Edited by thomasnash (549 posts) -

This would be an easy win for Burnout Paradise if the races had a checkpoint system like the midnight club games, but I found navigating at high speeds such a problem that it's an easy win for Mass Effect. Maybe it was my own incompetence, but the constant fear of missing a turn made the races super not-fun - I can't check my map when I'm going at 20 bazillion miles per hour!

I have this problem with Burnour Paradise as well. But it's not half as annoying as the fact that you can't quickly get back in and retry races. It's a combo that really kills that game for me. Thankfully they fixed that in Need For Speed Most Wanted.

#44 Edited by DarkShaper (1325 posts) -

I'm voting for ME2 but it breaks my heart to abandon Burnout this early.

#45 Posted by mracoon (4967 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 takes the renegade option and pushes aside its opponent with 82% of the vote and 676 votes cast.

Moderator Online