This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by mracoon (4971 posts) 10 months, 15 hours ago

Poll: GotG Round 2: Portal 2 vs. Sid Meier's Civilization V (644 votes)

Portal 2 62%
Sid Meier's Civilization V 38%

Main thread

Full bracket

I was trying to find something similar between the two games that I could make a comment but nope. Anyway, two great, very different games going head-to-head so go forth and vote.

Portal 2 (2010)

Sid Meier's Civilization V (2011)

Voting closes at 2pm GMT / 6am PST.

#1 Posted by slyspider (1225 posts) -

Took me a while to decide but I spent a lot of time in Civ with all the expansions

#2 Posted by DrxLecter (122 posts) -

Seeing as Civ V is probably the worst Civ game, this one is easy.

#3 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Portal 2 I found to be better than the original Portal which was and probably still is better than Civ V.

#4 Posted by mak_wikus (523 posts) -

Oh dear lord, this is the first time I have a problem with one of these o_O

#5 Edited by CaLe (3981 posts) -

The first time I played Civ V it had me up until 6am, then I never felt the desire to play it again.

#6 Posted by Abendlaender (2803 posts) -

Nooooo....don't make me choose

#7 Edited by Nightriff (5074 posts) -

I've played way way way more Civ 5 but Portal 2 is a better, tighter, more enjoyable experience for players. I would recommend Portal 2 to everyone, Civ 5 only to a select few. Portal 2 has my vote.

#8 Posted by Chop (1997 posts) -

I've put in like twenty hours into Civ since I saw it in the last poll here. Civ is dangerous and gets my vote because of that...fucking Civ

#9 Posted by Veektarius (4813 posts) -

I voted Portal 2. I'll never forgive Civ V for not having Civ IV's soundtrack.

#10 Posted by bobafettjm (1484 posts) -

I love both of these games, but there is no way I could ever vote for Portal 2 over Civ 5. I continue to pump hours into Civ 5 long after I finished and moved on from Portal 2.

#11 Posted by Ben_H (3352 posts) -

Civ V with the expansions is better. Civ V without is worse.

#12 Posted by Pr1mus (3904 posts) -

I only played Portal 2 once but it was pure magic and i kinda don't want to play it again and preserve that memory.

#13 Posted by Krataur (358 posts) -

Portal 2 is excellent and much better than the first, but I played through it once (single and co-op) and never went back. Civ V, while the worst Civ that I've played, is still a Civ game, and I still come back to it time and time again.

Civ V (with expansions) gets my vote!

#14 Posted by Gatehouse (621 posts) -

As a non PC gamer, I've got to go with the one that had a talking potato and JK Simmons.

#15 Edited by BisonHero (6494 posts) -

I continue to vote against Portal 2 because it just didn't have the same lasting impression on me that Portal 1 did. However, if Portal 1 had been in this bracket instead, I'd vote for it nearly all the time.

#16 Edited by coaxmetal (1619 posts) -

You know what is a fantastic game? Portal 2. You know what's better? Portal 1. And also Civilization 5. Also Portal 1 was this gen wasn't it? How did portal 2 get in here instead. I love portal 2 but 1 was better and certainly more notable.

#17 Edited by Claude (16254 posts) -

You know what is a fantastic game? Portal 2. You know what's better? Portal 1. And also Civilization 5. Also Portal 1 was this gen wasn't it? How did portal 2 get in here instead. I love portal 2 but 1 was better and certainly more notable.

Portal was great and relevant at its time. But Portal 2 broke new ground with its story along with the great puzzle solving. Civ 5 has no potatoes to reach as far a Portal 2 did with its ending. As far reaching as Civ 5 can be and may become, Portal 2 was a revelation in story telling within the initial release.

#18 Posted by Trilogy (2653 posts) -

Easy one for me. Between the brilliant writing, fantastic puzzle design, and super fun co op experiences I had with my buddy, Portal 2 wins it for me. Civ 5 is awesome, but I'm just not into turn based strategy (prefer real time).

#19 Edited by Hunter5024 (5667 posts) -

If the correct Portal game had won in the preliminaries then I would be voting for that.

#20 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11720 posts) -

With expansions, Civilization V is probably my favorite 4X game and still maintains its place as the most played title in my Steam Library. Also I'm pretty sure it also came out in 2010.

#21 Posted by BisonHero (6494 posts) -

@claude said:

@riboflavin said:

Portal was great and relevant at its time. But Portal 2 broke new ground with its story along with the great puzzle solving. Civ 5 has no potatoes to reach as far a Portal 2 did with its ending. As far reaching as Civ 5 can be and may become, Portal 2 was a revelation in story telling within the initial release.

I dunno, putting Portal 2 in the bracket instead of Portal 1 would be like putting Modern Warfare 2 in the bracket instead of CoD 4: Modern Warfare, or Fallout: New Vegas instead of Fallout 3. I feel like the things in this bracket should largely be "the game that came out of nowhere and flipped everything on its head by being so different", not "the somewhat improved sequel to the aforementioned game".

I think Portal 2 is easily in the bottom 3 among the 32 games in Round 2 of this bracket, in terms of "Would I ever call this game Game of the Generation?" It's a great game, but it's entirely in the shadow of Portal. Most of those other games in Round 2 at least deserve consideration because they more or less stand on their own. Sleeping Dogs making it past the first round was kind of silly, though.

#22 Edited by Korolev (1706 posts) -

Portal 2 gets my vote. No other game has made me laugh as hard as Portal 2.

#23 Edited by Vanick (331 posts) -

Portal 2 for me. I never really got into Civ 5

#24 Posted by triviaman09 (802 posts) -

Civ V is probably the pinnacle of turn-based strategy games, whereas Portal 2 is clever and has awesome characters but doesn't really do it for me.

#25 Posted by ThePickle (4182 posts) -

It hurt my soul to have to pick between these two. Ended up going with Portal 2 but Civ V will always have a special place in my heart.

#26 Posted by coaxmetal (1619 posts) -

@claude said:

@riboflavin said:

Portal 2 was a fantastic game. Very funny, great puzzles, writing, new mechanics. But it was an iteration on Portal 1. I think Portal 1 is a more important and more notable game, and also a tighter overall experience. It should have been in the bracket instead of 2. I think the genesis of an idea, well executed, and the thing that popularized that and changed a lot about video games, is better than something that simply iterates on it, no matter how well executed. Were portal 1 in this bracket I would have voted for it.

#27 Edited by SarcasticMudcrab (181 posts) -

I thought civ 5 was awesome until I went back and played the earlier ones, and then endless space which I like the most out of these games. Portal 2 has Steve merchant in it. Easy choice, even though it should be portal 1.

#28 Posted by ThatFrood (3375 posts) -

I voted Portal 2. I'll never forgive Civ V for not having Civ IV's soundtrack.

Baba Yetu vs Portal 2

Baby Yetu 100%

#29 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3307 posts) -

Man Civ V is 100 x the game P2 is, as funny/smart/interesting/well designed as it is. No contest!

Really wish we had more strategy fans on this site. :C

#30 Posted by Slag (4344 posts) -

Civ 5 is more Civ which is frickin fantastic. Portal/Portal2 however did something completely mind blowing.

#31 Edited by BaconGames (3400 posts) -

This is really splitting hairs for me but only because Civ isn't something completely new and Portal deserves representation in that sense I'm voting for Portal 2. Otherwise I would be unable to choose.

#32 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

@claude said:

@riboflavin said:

I dunno, putting Portal 2 in the bracket instead of Portal 1 would be like putting Modern Warfare 2 in the bracket instead of CoD 4: Modern Warfare, or Fallout: New Vegas instead of Fallout 3. I feel like the things in this bracket should largely be "the game that came out of nowhere and flipped everything on its head by being so different", not "the somewhat improved sequel to the aforementioned game".

I think Portal 2 is easily in the bottom 3 among the 32 games in Round 2 of this bracket, in terms of "Would I ever call this game Game of the Generation?" It's a great game, but it's entirely in the shadow of Portal. Most of those other games in Round 2 at least deserve consideration because they more or less stand on their own. Sleeping Dogs making it past the first round was kind of silly, though.

I see your point. Also, haha, Sleeping Dogs. That shocked me too.

#33 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3051 posts) -

Civilization V gets my vote. I think Portal 2 is pretty good, but Civ was much more enjoyable to me.

#34 Posted by GS_Dan (1403 posts) -

Voted for Civ, the expansions are fantastic.

Portal 2 is still a brilliant game and will probably win this poll.

#35 Posted by PurpleMoustache (106 posts) -

I this poll was almost as hard as the Braid/FEZ one. Picked Civ V, even though I got it late in its life, but Portal 2 is fantastic.

#36 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Civ 5 should be winning this. If this was Portal 1, portal 1 should be winning this.

#37 Edited by audioBusting (1532 posts) -
@canteu said:

Civ 5 should be winning this. If this was Portal 1, portal 1 should be winning this.

Exactly my thought!

#38 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1785 posts) -

@drxlecter said:

Seeing as Civ V is probably the worst Civ game, this one is easy.

It barely needs to be said, does it?

#39 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I like both but Portal 2 is probably the funniest game I have ever played.

And it was better than the first.

#40 Posted by Cybertification (203 posts) -

If it includes the expansions, Civ V, no doubt.

#41 Posted by mracoon (4971 posts) -

It's on to the next test chamber for Portal 2 as it wins with 61% of the vote and 631 votes cast.