• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 5 months, 8 days ago

GotG Round 2: Red Dead Redemption vs. XCOM: Enemy Unknown (762 votes)

Red Dead Redemption 60%
XCOM: Enemy Unknown 40%

Main thread

Full bracket

If we were doing a sub-battle to decide which game has the best standalone DLC then these two would be strong contenders.

Red Dead Redemption (2010)

It's like the original box art but with a twist!

XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012)

Also like the original box art but with an orange twist!

Voting closes at midnight GMT / 4pm PST.

#1 Posted by Sterling (1747 posts) -

hmmmmmmm.

#2 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption is one of the best games to come out this generation so it gets my vote.

#3 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1857 posts) -

I almost fell asleep playing RDR and the only part of it that I actively enjoyed was the Jose Gonzalez song. So I guess XCOM gets my vote this time.

#4 Posted by BeachThunder (11274 posts) -

XCOM!

#5 Posted by CaLe (3678 posts) -

I like horse riding and shooting old pistols.

#6 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9780 posts) -

Oh I can't get a long little doggy,

Oh I can't even get one that's small!

Oh I can't get a long little doggy,

Oh I can't even get one at all!

For whatever reason, that was what I thought of when I just thought of a western setting.

#7 Posted by Kain55 (104 posts) -

I know XCOM isn't going to win, but I have to give it my vote. I love that game and dislike the way RDR plays. One day I will make it all the way through RDR though.

#8 Posted by AMyggen (2011 posts) -

RDR is probably my GOTG. Sooo...RDR!

#9 Posted by mracoon (4915 posts) -

This should be a close contest. Why isn't this a close contest?!

#10 Posted by Killerfridge (289 posts) -

These are two of my favourite games, why did you make me choose? :( I chose RDR, even though I really, really like XCOM.

#11 Posted by ShadowConqueror (2997 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption is the best game of this generation. XCOM is fucking good, though.

#12 Posted by VoshiNova (1594 posts) -

Dude the fact that Xcom is not winning this is making my stomach turn!

#13 Edited by BaconGames (3141 posts) -

Oh shit oh shit oh shit I don't wanna choose! And they're so apples and oranges too.

John Marston...

Commander...

FUCK

#14 Posted by BeachThunder (11274 posts) -
@mracoon said:

You should have listed XCOM first :P

#15 Posted by Jammin57 (2 posts) -

@killerfridge: I know this is ridiculous. Both of these would be in my top 5 for GOTG

#16 Posted by awesomeusername (4059 posts) -

Bread Bred Bredemption!

#17 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1621 posts) -

I really loved both of these games...but my dark secret is that I never finished XCOM because I jump around between games too much. I really keep meaning to go back and finish it (maybe over Thanksgiving?). RDR is fantastic though, so I have no problem voting for it :)

#18 Edited by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Red Dead by leaps and bounds. It is quite honestly the game of the generation IMO.

#19 Posted by BaconGames (3141 posts) -

Well, I'll keep this interesting and vote for the underdog and be happy with that.

#20 Posted by beepmachine (614 posts) -

This could be a semi-final match up; shame it has to happen so early. XCOM is amazing, but I have to go with Red Dead. I think it's Rockstar's most fully realized vision.

#21 Edited by TheHT (10294 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption had a great ending. It's hard to stick a landing, and Rockstar fuckin nailed it.

XCOM was a consistently more fun experience. Also I prefer an orange twist over a necrotic twist, thank you very much.

#22 Edited by hidys (1028 posts) -

It's gotta be Red Dead.

#23 Posted by BaneFireLord (2880 posts) -

If Red Dead doesn't at least make the finals, I'm...probably not going to actually get angry, but I will at least shake my head sadly.

#24 Posted by mrfluke (4849 posts) -

F this poll.

im voting with the losing bracket, XCOM.

#25 Posted by Animasta (14463 posts) -

XCOM 4EVER

#26 Posted by Video_Game_King (34642 posts) -

@animasta said:

XCOM 4EVER

BUT THIS IS, LIKE, THE SIXTH XCOM GAME. ALSO, MY VOTE GOES TO RED DEAD REDEMPTION BECAUSE I NEVER PLAYED ENEMY UNKNOWN.

#27 Posted by Slag (3365 posts) -

Definitely give it up to Red Dead. That game was a blast with maybe the best lead character of the generation.

And also had less game breaking bugs,

#28 Posted by ShaggE (5992 posts) -

XCOM fo' sho'. May not have horse tech, but it does have XCOM.

#29 Posted by nick_verissimo (1373 posts) -

XCOM was pretty damn good, but Red Dead was probably one of my three favourite games from last generation.

#30 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6939 posts) -

XCOM is among my top 5 of the generation but I gotta go with Red Dead Redemption.

#31 Posted by mlarrabee (2761 posts) -

Ugh, two games that make me sad. Everyone else adores them, and I can see why, but they just didn't stick to me (primarily RDR) or I encountered too many game-breaking bugs (primarily XCOM) for us to move beyond just friends.

I really can't choose. (So why am I posting this, again?)

#32 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2074 posts) -

I can't pick one over the other. So I'm not voting. All the others I've voted in have been easy for me to choose

#33 Edited by Belegorm (284 posts) -

How the hell isn't XCOM winning!?! Such an amazing, and unique game. No other game this gen was like it.

#34 Edited by golguin (3669 posts) -

Easily Red Dead Redemption. XCOM is only an okay strategy game that got a lot of hype from people that were unfamiliar with the genre.

#35 Posted by Gruff182 (847 posts) -

One of these games, should end up squaring off against Dark Souls, for GOTG.

The other one is a really good reboot with alien shooting.

#36 Edited by Milkman (16232 posts) -

I finished Red Dead. I never finished XCOM. I'm still voting for XCOM.

#37 Edited by Hunter5024 (5180 posts) -

This was the first poll that I found really tough.

#38 Posted by supamon (1328 posts) -

XCOM proved turn-based strategy is still a viable genre but RDR? RDR is one of those games that comes around once every few years and blows everyone's socks off.

#39 Edited by crithon (2582 posts) -

I just don't get Red Dead, like it made a horrible first impression why I annoyed with rockstar's design of talking radio dramas while someone walks you to another point.

#40 Edited by planetary (338 posts) -
@hidys said:

It's gotta be Red Dead.

Word.

#41 Edited by Coafi (1433 posts) -

Red Dead, baby. Always.

#42 Posted by OldGuy (1434 posts) -

Every Sunday night Gunsmoke is on the radio... Every Sunday night I want to play RDR... I LOVE XCOM... I love RDR more....

#43 Posted by the_devoid (39 posts) -

XCOM really didn't like Red Dead.

#44 Posted by Mento (2260 posts) -

Tough call. I mean, not for me: X-COM all the way. But trying to decide which of these games deserves to win based on more objective merits like "importance to the medium" and such, this is an even match regardless of which one happens to be your favorite. RDR proved you could do Rockstar's combination of maudlin stories and self-satisfied satire without cars and X-COM proved you could take a game that's as old as dirt with an ardent fanbase and somehow please everyone with the new incarnation.

Boy howdy, was there a lot I didn't like about RDR though. At least its poker engine was pretty good? I guess RDR and Rockstar deserve to win after GTA V got its ass kicked by a game that was more or less imitating that series (which would've happened eventually had it met up with Saints Row: The Third, but c'est la vie).

#45 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5121 posts) -

I love XCOM, but RDR is my game of the generation.

#46 Edited by Brackynews (3966 posts) -

@mracoon said:

Because Brad's compelling and memorable RDR review.

;3

#47 Edited by Mezmero (1647 posts) -

These are both incredible games. They're both pretty satisfying to play so I'm voting based on narrative quality. It's so hard to end a video game story particularly during this generation and Red Dead did it amazingly well. XCOM's biggest weakness is its ending sequence and while it may not be fair to hold something against that game that wasn't its primary focus I have to look at the product as a whole when talking about a generation defining game.

#48 Posted by l4wd0g (1820 posts) -
@mezmero said:

These are both incredible games. They're both pretty satisfying to play so I'm voting based on narrative quality. It's so hard to end a video game story particularly during this generation and Red Dead did it amazingly well. XCOM's biggest weakness is its ending sequence and while it may not be fair to hold something against that game that wasn't its primary focus I have to look at the product as a whole when talking about a generation defining game.

I think you're forgetting about Mexico in Red Dead. That was hours and hours where the game forgot what made and it great.

#49 Posted by chrissedoff (2041 posts) -

I felt very comfortable voting for XCOM, but I fault no one for preferring Red Dead Redemption. These are both some of the best games in the tournament.

#50 Posted by Mezmero (1647 posts) -

@l4wd0g: I didn't forget. I just didn't mind it as much as others I think. Maybe it helps that I happened to unintentionally rush through that portion of the game. Seems like people enjoy hating that part than they do absorbing the stark and lonely western experience that the game offers.