This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by mracoon (4915 posts) 5 months, 8 days ago

GotG Round 2: Super Mario Galaxy vs. Rock Band (585 votes)

Super Mario Galaxy 60%
Rock Band 41%

Main thread

Full bracket

Mario verses music as the one of the generation's best platformers takes on one of its best rhythm games.

Super Mario Galaxy (2007)

Rock Band (2007)

Voting closes at midnight GMT / 4am PST Saturday.

#1 Edited by FriendlyPhoenix (275 posts) -

I never played much Rock Band, but I at least enjoyed the time I spent with it(which is far more than I can say for Galaxy)

#2 Posted by Hailinel (22752 posts) -

Galaxy brought more uniqueness and creativity to its genre than Rock Band did for its own. Rock Band is in essence multiple rhythm titles in a single package. Galaxy did things no 3D platformer had ever done before.

#3 Posted by Vanick (276 posts) -

I'm sure it's going to lose but I went with Rock Band. I never played Galaxy and while I'm sure it's great I love Rock Band.

#4 Posted by BeachThunder (11278 posts) -

Mario Band.

#5 Posted by golguin (3674 posts) -

Anyone still remember Rock Band? I sure as hell don't. Super Mario Galaxy as one of the best platformers of all time has an easy win.

#6 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (4464 posts) -

I didn't even realize Mario won the last round. Get's my vote again!

#7 Posted by BaconGames (3146 posts) -
#8 Posted by Dalai (6882 posts) -

I'm voting Super Mario Galaxy until I can't vote for it no more.

#9 Posted by Mento (2261 posts) -

Remembering the music for these two games makes me think we could do all this again for best soundtrack of the generation. Then maybe Xenoblade can actually win it.

#10 Posted by slyspider (1039 posts) -

No wii music? Fine. In spite i'll go for Super mario.

Seriously though galaxy is a fantastic game

#11 Posted by Bumpton (428 posts) -

:( I really think RB deserves this one. I mean, I get it. But still... The fact that my buds and I STILL bust out RB is fucking amazing to me.

#12 Posted by BisonHero (5691 posts) -

I know Rock Band and Guitar Hero ended up as a fad, but c'mon, remember how fun they were, back when they were still cool? Remember all the warm fuzzies you got from Beatles Rock Band?

What would John Drake think of you guys right now, as he moves through the sky at hundreds of miles per hour, drinking a Diet Coke?

#13 Edited by mrfluke (4855 posts) -

so happy mario galaxy winning

#14 Posted by crithon (2594 posts) -

it hurts not voting for rock band, it really hurts.

#15 Posted by Guesty_01 (339 posts) -

Mario Galaxy will get my vote through this whole thing. Somehow, Nintendo managed to pack more innovation and creativity into a single level of Galaxy than most games see in their entirety, by and large crafting one of the greatest platformers ever.

#16 Posted by Nightriff (4383 posts) -

Rock Band, probably my most played franchise ever. I spent so much time to play everything on Expert Drums, totally worth it.

#17 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I think Super Mario Galaxy is ridiculously overrated. (I did enjoy the sequel very much though). Still, I must confess that Rock Band 1 just never felt right to me. Something about the timing of the notes. I thought the sequel totally corrected this, though, and I think Rock Band 3 is just legendary.

#18 Posted by Lyisa (265 posts) -

I'm going to be really sad to see rock band taken out this early. This feels criminal.

#19 Posted by overnow (89 posts) -

Rock Band was easily my favourite series of the past generation and very possibly of all time. There were no other series that I put so much time/money into ever. Between DLC and the better drum kit I easily spent over $1000 on Rock Band (I had probably like 400-500 DLC songs, maybe even more)

#20 Edited by GS_Dan (1396 posts) -

At least rock band isn't getting decimated

#21 Edited by BisonHero (5691 posts) -

OK, above I gave my post on why Rock Band is great. Now let me bash Mario games in relation to being Game of the Generation.

When we look back on this generation, is Super Mario Galaxy really one of the defining games of this gen? It's just a really good followup to Super Mario 64, after the kinda weird detour that was Super Mario Sunshine. But if I had to do a rundown of an activity that a bunch of my friends spent dozens, possibly hundreds of hours on, and for a few years was INSANELY successful, Rock Band is that thing.

It just feels like everyone is voting against Rock Band because it's not fashionable to like Rock Band anymore now that the fad is pretty thoroughly dead, but it was SO important and notable this gen compared to a game that is pretty much "Hey we made some really good Mario 64 levels, and in some of them you run around the outside of spheres and it's pretty rad you guys". Super Mario Galaxy is great, you guys, and Brad's Extra Life stream where he played it gave me so much nostalgia, but come the fuck on. It's still Mario.

#22 Posted by Ramone (2932 posts) -

And this right here is why Game of the Generation/Year/whatever will always be dumb. There is almost no way to compare these two games, they are completely disparate. It's like trying to compare a painting to a song.

It is absolutely amazing for the medium and the consumer that games cover so many bases and can essentially be entirely different entities but it makes critical comparisons pretty much impossible.

I voted Super Mario Galaxy.

#23 Edited by Claude (16251 posts) -

@bisonhero: Really? That's Super Mario Galaxy. Here's Rock Band. Let's hit some buttons and pretend we're playing music. Glorious! Rock Band is the QTE of all QTE's.

#24 Posted by Lyisa (265 posts) -

@claude said:

@bisonhero: Really? That's Super Mario Galaxy. Here's Rock Band. Let's hit some buttons and pretend we're playing music. Glorious! Rock Band is the QTE of all QTE's.

You don't have to be reductive about it. They're both fantastic games and recognizing their positive qualities (even if you don't agree with sentiments about the game) can expand ones understanding of why people feel passionate about them.

Same goes to people reducing Galaxy as well, really. It was probably the best platformer this generation and taking that away from it because it has Mario in it is a little unfair. Galaxy does a lot right in terms of level design and mechanics. Its not all nostalgia driven as it could be made out to be.

#25 Posted by Claude (16251 posts) -

@lyisa said:

@claude said:

You don't have to be reductive about it. They're both fantastic games and recognizing their positive qualities (even if you don't agree with sentiments about the game) can expand ones understanding of why people feel passionate about them.

Same goes to people reducing Galaxy as well, really. It was probably the best platformer this generation and taking that away from it because it has Mario in it is a little unfair. Galaxy does a lot right in terms of level design and mechanics. Its not all nostalgia driven as it could be made out to be.

I'm sorry. You're right. Rock Band was a pretty big deal. I just didn't get it. Never really liked rhythm games. Probably because I suck at playing them.

#26 Posted by OmniscientCajun (96 posts) -

I was a huge supporter of the (superior, I'd argue) platformer in the previous round, but it was close when Super Meat Boy lost. I thought that was a no contest. This round, Super Mario Galaxy once again is winning a round I feel it has little business winning. Rock Band - defining of an era. In this poll, it represents the Rock Band series, its tremendous support post-release, hours and hours of "couch-coop" fun (sober and otherwise). SMG, I argued in the previous round, is a damn fine platformer, colorful and inventive, a cornerstone of any Wii owner's library. But it left me wanting. The level design is strong (really strong), but the design philosophy was so far in the opposite direction from Super Mario 64 and Sunshine, it irked me and had me constantly wishing it was more in line with its 3-D predecessors.

Super Mario Galaxy is a good, no, a great platformer. Rock Band is an integral part of the rhythm game revolution, maybe the most important part. It defined an era of this generation. Even if Fallout 3 were to win the next round (one of my favorite games of the generation easy), I'd be voting for Rock Band against it then too.

#27 Posted by triviaman09 (759 posts) -

I'm kind of surprised by this, I thought Rock Band would win by a mile. I had to vote for SMG. That game has some of the finest level design I've ever seen in a video game.

#28 Posted by TheHT (10318 posts) -

Oh my god, are you kidding? Rock Band no contest.

#29 Posted by Hailinel (22752 posts) -

I was a huge supporter of the (superior, I'd argue) platformer in the previous round, but it was close when Super Meat Boy lost. I thought that was a no contest. This round, Super Mario Galaxy once again is winning a round I feel it has little business winning. Rock Band - defining of an era. In this poll, it represents the Rock Band series, its tremendous support post-release, hours and hours of "couch-coop" fun (sober and otherwise). SMG, I argued in the previous round, is a damn fine platformer, colorful and inventive, a cornerstone of any Wii owner's library. But it left me wanting. The level design is strong (really strong), but the design philosophy was so far in the opposite direction from Super Mario 64 and Sunshine, it irked me and had me constantly wishing it was more in line with its 3-D predecessors.

Super Mario Galaxy is a good, no, a great platformer. Rock Band is an integral part of the rhythm game revolution, maybe the most important part. It defined an era of this generation. Even if Fallout 3 were to win the next round (one of my favorite games of the generation easy), I'd be voting for Rock Band against it then too.

It could also be argued that Rock Band is really just Guitar Hero + Drum Mania + Karaoke Revolution with a DLC factory attached. Great game, but people don't give enough credit to games that came before, preferring to think of the whole Guitar Hero/Rock Band bubble occurring in a vacuum. A bubble that was eventually burst due to an absurd plastic instrument war.

Rock Band is good, sure, and one of the best in its genre, but Mario Galaxy did brand new things in the platformer genre and is superb at those things. The ways it strays from Super Mario 64 and Sunshine are important and provide a unique experience among Mario titles.

#30 Posted by OmniscientCajun (96 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@omniscientcajun said:

It could also be argued that Rock Band is really just Guitar Hero + Drum Mania + Karaoke Revolution with a DLC factory attached. Great game, but people don't give enough credit to games that came before, preferring to think of the whole Guitar Hero/Rock Band bubble occurring in a vacuum. A bubble that was eventually burst due to an absurd plastic instrument war.

Rock Band is good, sure, and one of the best in its genre, but Mario Galaxy did brand new things in the platformer genre and is superb at those things. The ways it strays from Super Mario 64 and Sunshine are important and provide a unique experience among Mario titles.

Fair points. My arguments did lean on comparing Galaxy somewhat negatively against its predecessors, while not really acknowledging the foundation of rhythm games built before Rock Band showed up. I only got into the music/rhythm genre around the advent of Guitar Hero.

The love I have for local multiplayer games is nearly boundless, and Rock Band embraces that with the best of them, even better perhaps due to singing being something non-video game playing people can enjoy (drumming to a certain extent as well).

I've already made my points against Galaxy, which again, I feel is a truly great game. I very much enjoyed playing through it and Galaxy 2. Hell, I played Galaxy twice to 120 (once as each characters). But Rock Band hit me at the perfect time (releasing my freshman year of college). Plenty of people around who had played Guitar Hero, some drummers, everyone could sing. I lived with 4 other guys my sophomore year, and Rock Band 2 (and Guitar Hero World Tour) were staples of our common room bonding time.

So from both a grand scale and on a very personal, nearly unquantifiable level, Rock Band takes it and is one of my games of the generation. If nothing changes in the next 7ish hours, I'll be sad to see it go.

#31 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11040 posts) -

I understand why Rock Band is important, but unless you had 3 other friends who wanted to play plastic instruments (a number that quickly dwindled as time went by) it was just Guitar Hero (or Drum Hero, if you wanted to be a weirdo) with a nigh infinite setlist. Actually, that doesn't sound too bad either.

Point is, I can play Mario Galaxy alone in my basement (possibly naked) and still get the full experience. Also it's the best 3D Mario Game.

#32 Edited by Box3ru13 (700 posts) -

Interesting match-up. My take:

I have never played SMG and probably won't for the foreseeable future (lack of Wii and all) but I'd be remiss if I didn't acknowledge it as one of the best Mario games ever and probably the best platformer of the generation and certainly on the Wii. I do know that the soundtrack is fan-fucking-tastic though and that goes a long way in my book.

Rock Band was a great party game, I can still remember my during my Fresh/Soph years of college hanging out with some friends, drinking and singing Maps because it was the only song my terrible un-vocal ass could even remotely sing. They were fun times to be sure. I absolutely enjoyed the varied tracklist and the DLC and subsequent games improved on all of that--but I didn't play past the first because fuck having all those stupid instruments lying around.

Ultimately, in five, ten, twenty years I'll be far more likely to go back and play SMG and appreciate it than I ever will do with Rock Band. Completely different criteria than what I've been basing most of this tourney on but hey, gotta come up with something.

SMG by a solar system.

#33 Posted by rentfn (1267 posts) -

SMG is a fantastic game but the joy that comes from people getting together and playing Rock Band is immeasurable. Beating the first Ultimate Set list Challenge is a moment I won't forget.

#34 Posted by GreggD (4450 posts) -

Yo eff Mario, Rock Band 4ever.

#35 Posted by magicwalnuts (63 posts) -

Heres the thing about this matchup. SMG is arguably the best 3D platformer of the generation, BUT, this is the generation where basically nobody made 3D platformers because nobody wants to play them. So if we're going by games of the generation Rock Band MUST take this because it was far more influential to the generation, despite both games being the last hoorah for dying genres.

#36 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2168 posts) -

Super Mario Galaxy for feeling unique and fun.

#37 Edited by GS_Dan (1396 posts) -

Rock Band for feeling unique and fun.

#38 Posted by jakob187 (21514 posts) -

@hailinel said:

Galaxy brought more uniqueness and creativity to its genre than Rock Band did for its own. Rock Band is in essence multiple rhythm titles in a single package. Galaxy did things no 3D platformer had ever done before.

If this were a vote for Rock band as a FRANCHISE, I would disagree, but this pretty much sums up what I'm thinking on this one.

#39 Posted by mracoon (4915 posts) -

Mario moves on to the next castle with 60% of the vote and 579 votes cast.