• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by mracoon (4967 posts) 9 months, 12 days ago
#1 Posted by UlquioKani (1045 posts) -

I enjoyed Sleeping Dogs more. nuff said

#2 Posted by evilrazer (481 posts) -

I wanna choose Sleeping Dogs, but it'll be unfair, cause Skyrim has bigger potential... Damn...

#3 Posted by CaLe (3959 posts) -

Am I racist for choosing Skyrim?

#4 Edited by weegieanawrench (1937 posts) -

Goddamnit, mracoon. This fight is already getting dirty.

Edit: I feel awful about it but, Skyrim is going to get my vote this time.

#5 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -

Skyrim. This sleeping with dogs shit needs to end.

#6 Posted by evilrazer (481 posts) -

@cale: Can't really blame you. Sleeping Dogs is pretty good.

#7 Posted by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

Damn it, it only just sank in how ugly the bickering is going to get. Round one was just a preview, wasn't it? This is gonna be like the GOTY podcasts, except we're not all friends, and also the internet.

#8 Posted by mracoon (4967 posts) -

Did I accidentally tick the box to allow multiple choices because both games currently have over 50% of the vote.

#9 Posted by Dimi3je (312 posts) -

Skyrim 140 %

#10 Posted by NipCrip66 (125 posts) -

That's a horrible one. These are two of the best games this generation.

#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
WHAT.

#12 Edited by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

What's with all the round 2 votes having >100%?

#13 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Handing it to Sleeping Dogs. I was never the biggest fan of the Elder Scrolls and Skyrim was really the only title I put a considerable amount of time into. Even then, I just reached a point of fatigue and I felt the combat ran its course. Sleeping Dogs for me felt fresh, intuitive and I was drawn into the story more so than any other sandbox since Red Dead Redemption and AC2. It also helps that it controlled brilliantly and almost every aspect of combat was extremely fine-tuned.

#14 Posted by Petiew (1344 posts) -

Sleeping dogs! Skyrim was fun for a while but it got tedious much earlier than I would've liked. Sleeping Dogs was a great game.

#15 Posted by laserbolts (5317 posts) -

Sleeping dogs wasn't even a good game so Skyrim gets my vote here. Oh and Skyrim was awesome btw.

#16 Posted by SgtSphynx (1353 posts) -

I would love to vote for Sleeping Dogs here, but I have played much more Skyrim than I have Sleeping Dogs. Once I beat Sleeping Dogs, I stopped playing, Once I beat Skyrim, I kept exploring. Granted, I will always be thankful for Vinny playing Sleeping Dogs.

#17 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -

I enjoyed Sleeping Dogs much more, but I'm probably an anomaly.

#18 Posted by buft (3315 posts) -

god damn, hardest one for me yet, went with skyrim in the end but christ im not sure.

#19 Posted by Kidavenger (3530 posts) -

WHAT.

shenanigans, we'll have to start this whole thing over.

#20 Posted by Flacracker (1655 posts) -

You people on these forums are so boring. "SKYRIM! FALLOUT 3! MASS EFFECT 2! I LOVE DUMBED DOWN AND CRAP RPGS WITH BAD WRITING AND GAMEPLAY"

#21 Posted by DarkShaper (1325 posts) -

I find Skyrim, and Bethesda games in general, to be really boring. So Sleeping Dogs it is.

#22 Posted by Atlas (2435 posts) -

Skyrim wins in pretty much every conceivable category.

#23 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1241 posts) -

This is such a shame since Sleeping Dogs is SO GREAT. Oh well...Skyrim is pretty good too.

#24 Edited by Lyisa (342 posts) -

I enjoyed Vinny playing Sleeping Dogs more than I enjoyed it personally.

There are things about Skyrim that left me wanting, too, but it did pull me in. Despite all its issues and bugs (and the many times I have prevented it from launching via mods (which I can't hold against it because thats my fault)) I have to vote for it simply because I would still sit down and play a little more of it even today.

And its also worth falling back on the aged argument that Skyrim represents the pinnacle of the Bethesda rpg structure. Its a good place for them to look at what they've built over the generation and evaluate where to go in the next.

I don't think Sleeping Dogs holds that same privileged position.

#25 Posted by Hailinel (24394 posts) -

Sleeping Dogs was a blast to play all the way through. Skyrim was a buggy mess that I only really had fun with during the Companions storyline.

#26 Posted by gunstar (251 posts) -

Holy hell I wish Skyrim would just go away.

#27 Posted by TheHT (11132 posts) -

Skyrim is a wonderful world with some neat, interesting quests. The combat is still pretty bad. Unless you sneak around stealth-killing everything. Then it's a blast. Or if you go two handed and just smash everything.

You know what? Maybe it doesn't completely play like ass. The movement is still terribly sluggish. I already voted for Sleeping Dogs though. The gunplay, car smashing, and melee combat in that are all good fun.

#28 Posted by Guesty_01 (339 posts) -

I love Sleeping Dogs. I really, really love Sleeping Dogs.

But fuck man, I really honestly have never played anything quite like Skyrim as far as immersive, single player games go. Yes, there are a thousand things I would like fixing or improving for the next game in the series, but I still absolutly ADORE the game, which speaks volumes.

#29 Posted by me3639 (1753 posts) -

Skyrim and Fallout are better series after mods have been released. That said, Sleeping Dogs was fun and done on release.

#30 Posted by Entus (253 posts) -

Holy shit, sleeping dogs edged out GTA? That's amazing.

#31 Edited by triviaman09 (800 posts) -

You people on these forums are so boring. "SKYRIM! FALLOUT 3! MASS EFFECT 2! I LOVE DUMBED DOWN AND CRAP RPGS WITH BAD WRITING AND GAMEPLAY"

I LOVE MAKING INFLAMMATORY POSTS

#32 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (652 posts) -

Only on Giant Bomb would Sleeping Dogs even have a chance, Skyrim became a cultural touchstone when it was released. Skyrim by far.

#33 Edited by Hailinel (24394 posts) -

Only on Giant Bomb would Sleeping Dogs even have a chance, Skyrim became a cultural touchstone when it was released. Skyrim by far.

Skyrim was such a busted piece of shit on PS3 that Giant Bomb's staff specifically excluded that version from GOTY consideration. And I would hesitate to call it a cultural touchstone. It's a decent open-world RPG, but a lot of it is boring. The random dragon battles got tiring (nothing like fast traveling somewhere I want to go only to encounter a dragon right where I needed to be.), and the NPC interactions are as dry as ever. If it weren't for the Companions and their story, I'd have shelved that game a lot sooner. As it is, once the bugs started piling up, I just said fuck it and started playing Saints Row: The Third instead.

Sleeping Dogs all the way.

#34 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1993 posts) -

I had a blast playing Sleeping Dogs for 22-ish hours, while Skyrim was incredibly boring and about as devoid of personality and interesting choice as most modern shooters.

#35 Posted by HatKing (5886 posts) -

Sleeping Dogs is fantastic, but still largely unfocused. It kind of needs the context of what that game went through in development for you to understand how damn great it is. Skyrim is kind of great without much qualification. Though, itself largely blown out of proportion.

#36 Posted by Cybertification (198 posts) -

@theht: The stealth is terrible, sadly.

I'm going to vote for Skyrim, even though I don't think either one should go any further than this.

#37 Posted by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@counterclockwork87 said:

Skyrim was such a busted piece of shit on PS3 that Giant Bomb's staff specifically excluded that version from GOTY consideration. And I would hesitate to call it a cultural touchstone. It's a decent open-world RPG, but a lot of it is boring. The random dragon battles got tiring (nothing like fast traveling somewhere I want to go only to encounter a dragon right where I needed to be.), and the NPC interactions are as dry as ever. If it weren't for the Companions and their story, I'd have shelved that game a lot sooner. As it is, once the bugs started piling up, I just said fuck it and started playing Saints Row: The Third instead.

I don't think the fact that you don't like it doesn't change it as a cultural touchstone. It reached an absurdly wide audience, the sort only ever topped by like, CoD. My brother was bringing home stories of people Fus Roh Dah'ing in the halls at his high school, post-release. You could go to just about any corner of the Internet with a younger demographic, and expect basic Skyrim references to play, no matter how game-focused the community generally is or isn't. It was, as I recall, the first western game to get a perfect score from Famitsu, and it did pretty amazing in even the fairly western-game resistant Japanese market. The "Arrow in the Knee" meme obtained such penetration that even people who had never heard of the game were sick of it by, like, day 3.

You said "This isn't culturally important" , and then proceeded to list reasons why you think the game is bad, but those two things aren't related at all.

#38 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

Come on Sleeping Dogs, you can do it!

#39 Posted by mosespippy (4112 posts) -

This is basically a battle between the filler quests of Skyrim vs. the focused package that is Sleeping Dogs. Guess what got my vote.

#40 Edited by Mezmero (1868 posts) -

This is so freaking hard. I absolutely loved the experience I had as a thief in Skyrim. Chaotic Neutral is the way to go to have a good time with that game in my experience. My greed let me have the most fun I've had with an RPG in any previous generation. The popular theory that the Thieves Guild was the best story line holds true as the rest of the narrative, while impressive in its scope ended with some fairly by the numbers conclusions. Are we really expecting the next Thief game to be a better experience than Skyrim in terms of larceny? Were there some fucked up bugs? Sure here and there but not enough to hamper my overall enjoyment (as a thief).

Meanwhile there was not a single moment in Sleeping Dogs where I was not enjoying myself. The problem was that it felt like it was over too fast and I was left wanting for more of what I couldn't get. All we got were some fairly mediocre DLC that I had more fun watching the Quick Looks of than I did actually playing. I'm not saying the Skyrim DLC is drop dead amazing but at least I know it's a robust package should I go back to that game, which might be soon after this.

For all it's amazingly high quality acting, writing, and game mechanics Sleepy Dawgs was ultimately yet another open world crime game and I've played plenty of those even in the previous generation. It just might happen to be the second best open world crime game to come out this generation (top possibly being Saints Row 4). Skyrim gets my vote for the sheer breadth and depth of video game moments (as a freaking thief). Forgive me Sleeping Dogs.

#41 Posted by Hailinel (24394 posts) -

@hailinel said:

I don't think the fact that you don't like it doesn't change it as a cultural touchstone. It reached an absurdly wide audience, the sort only ever topped by like, CoD. My brother was bringing home stories of people Fus Roh Dah'ing in the halls at his high school, post-release. You could go to just about any corner of the Internet with a younger demographic, and expect basic Skyrim references to play, no matter how game-focused the community generally is or isn't. It was, as I recall, the first western game to get a perfect score from Famitsu, and it did pretty amazing in even the fairly western-game resistant Japanese market. The "Arrow in the Knee" meme obtained such penetration that even people who had never heard of the game were sick of it by, like, day 3.

You said "This isn't culturally important" , and then proceeded to list reasons why you think the game is bad, but those two things aren't related at all.

If its greatest cultural penetrations are kids screaming Fus Roh Dah in school hallways and arrow to the knee jokes, I wouldn't call it culturally important. It's a technical mess of a game that was so busted that Bethesda couldn't even release all of the DLC on the PS3. It's a game that has an expansive world to explore that is at the same time remarkably hollow. Popular as it may be, it is not Game of the Generation by any means.

#42 Posted by Flacracker (1655 posts) -

This poll is broken. It says 66% vs. 40%. That is 106%. What is it actually?

#43 Posted by Demoskinos (14758 posts) -

Skyrim is a worse version of Morrowind. Sleeping Dogs is actually good.

#44 Edited by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

@hailinel: At first I thought maybe I miscommunicated, but then I read my own post again, saw that I listed it's surprising international penetration and regard and the fact that it achieved lasting recognition outside of the usual communities and audience, and decided no, your basically cherry-picking and using a dismissive tone to intentionally misconstrue my point. And then you go and list more things you don't like about the game, which, when talking about cultural significance, has ABSOLUTELY no bearing on the point, which I think I said before. I have no problem with the fact that you don't like the game, even if I don't personally agree. But you can't pretend it didn't have an impact just because you don't think the impact was justified.

As for Game of the Generation, don't be crazy. The entire idea is a farce, though hopefully a sort-of fun one, but the idea that games in such diverse genres for such diverse audiences can be meaningfully compared is ridiculous. I don't really see how you could imagine, even for a second, that this is anything besides a popularity contest.

#45 Posted by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

Skyrim is a worse version of Morrowind. Sleeping Dogs is actually good.

Morrowind is an overrated, mechanically inelegant version of Skyrim. So nyaaaa.

#46 Edited by Hailinel (24394 posts) -

@hailinel: At first I thought maybe I miscommunicated, but then I read my own post again, saw that I listed it's surprising international penetration and regard and the fact that it achieved lasting recognition outside of the usual communities and audience, and decided no, your basically cherry-picking and using a dismissive tone to intentionally misconstrue my point. And then you go and list more things you don't like about the game, which, when talking about cultural significance, has ABSOLUTELY no bearing on the point, which I think I said before. I have no problem with the fact that you don't like the game, even if I don't personally agree. But you can't pretend it didn't have an impact just because you don't think the impact was justified.

As for Game of the Generation, don't be crazy. The entire idea is a farce, though hopefully a sort-of fun one, but the idea that games in such diverse genres for such diverse audiences can be meaningfully compared is ridiculous. I don't really see how you could imagine, even for a second, that this is anything besides a popularity contest.

Am I not allowed to state my own personal feelings on the game while also discussing its cultural relevance or lack thereof?

#47 Edited by ArtelinaRose (1850 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@towersixteen said:

@hailinel said:

If its greatest cultural penetrations are kids screaming Fus Roh Dah in school hallways and arrow to the knee jokes, I wouldn't call it culturally important. It's a technical mess of a game that was so busted that Bethesda couldn't even release all of the DLC on the PS3. It's a game that has an expansive world to explore that is at the same time remarkably hollow. Popular as it may be, it is not Game of the Generation by any means.

It also isn't even that enjoyable once you realize how shallow the gameplay systems are.

The initial fifteen or twenty hours are enamoring because nobody does open world games like Bethesda does. Something about them just... the initial experience is so magical and draws you into it in such a way that you can't help but lose yourself in it completely. Then you realize the combat sucks, the game is too easy, and you're really better off just playing on PC and modding in all of the anime hair you SHOULD be demanding from your video games.

#48 Posted by slyspider (1202 posts) -

Skyrim had problems but the importance of that game will not be lost for years to come, sleeping dogs however is incredible but it will not influence games 10+ years from now like skyrim

#49 Edited by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

@hailinel: Your quite obviously allowed to do whatever the fuck you want, but unless a culture is you, I kinda think we may as well consult the position of the third moon of Jupiter for all the relevance it has to the point. Also, it's pretty much the only thing you've mentioned. The busted PS3 outing was maybe the the only relevant point, and it didn't really manage to hobble it's popularity in any meaningful way (or maybe it did, in which case I can only imagine the monster it WOULD of been).

#50 Posted by Vanick (328 posts) -

I went with Sleeping Dogs. I think I'm one of the few people who had more fun with Oblivion than Skyrim.