• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by mracoon (4954 posts) 8 months, 9 days ago
#51 Posted by Hailinel (23907 posts) -

@hailinel: Your quite obviously allowed to do whatever the fuck you want, but unless a culture is you, I kinda think we may as well consult the position of the third moon of Jupiter for all the relevance it has to the point. Also, it's pretty much the only thing you've mentioned. The busted PS3 outing was maybe the the only relevant point, and it didn't really manage to hobble it's popularity in any meaningful way (or maybe it did, in which case I can only imagine the monster it WOULD of been).

I wouldn't call having a large international audience culturally significant. A lot of popular games manage that. And as for Japan specifically, the inverse could be argued regarding games like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls; Giant Bomb's staff was ready to write Demon's Souls off as more Japanese weirdness until the internet and other game critics embraced it. I'd argue that the penetration of the Souls series is more significant than anything that Skyrim pulled off. Hell, Oblivion has its fair share of Japanese fans. Skyrim did nothing to penetrate new ground in that particular regard.

#52 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1839 posts) -

Skyrim had problems but the importance of that game will not be lost for years to come, sleeping dogs however is incredible but it will not influence games 10+ years from now like skyrim

What importance? The only people that took things away from that game and are going to try to emulate its gameplay systems are Bethesda in whatever they do next because that is what they do. It sold like a bazillion copies but it was all off the back of the success of games like Fallout 3 and Oblivion, which were also very close to being the same game regardless of what anyone tries to tell you. Skyrim is a good game, but it isn't influential because nobody tries to make games like Bethesda does, it isn't defining in any way because there are plenty of open world games that do open world better. It certainly is not game of the generation quality.

#53 Edited by Napstar (15 posts) -

Phew glad to see Skyrims winning. Came in earlier and saw that Sleeping Dogs was ahead. Come on people this isn't a poll to see whats the most underappreciated game of the generation. Sleeping Dogs world is hollow in comparison to Skyrims vast and teeming with life world.

#54 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11477 posts) -

How is this poll at 118%? What.

I know Skyrim is good, but I'm still partial to saying that Oblivion should be the game on this poll. Skyrim wouldn't have achieved the mass-market success it did without Oblivion coming out in spring 2006, right at the exact moment the 360 needed a new marquee title after all the launch stuff was exhausted. It probably doesn't hurt that I spent twice as much time with it as I did its successor, but hey.

The only reason Sleeping Dogs is even getting any play on this poll is because of Vinny's amazing video antics. Yes, those video antics probably inspired a lot of people to give the game a look and discover how good it was for themselves, but if those quick looks didn't exist, it wouldn't have made it into the bracket in the first place.

#55 Posted by LackingSaint (1772 posts) -

Skyrim more like Tediousrim, am I right?

#56 Posted by Clonedzero (4091 posts) -

I for the life of me can't figure out why sleeping dogs is on this game of the generation list. I mean i loved it, but seriously? Come on guys.

Skyrim is an amazing game thats clearly one of the best of the generation. Was it buggy? Fuck yeah it was. But it was still absolutely amazing. The world was breathtaking, the scope was massive, the sheer amount of hours you can dump into it without ever repeating anything is staggering. You can be a snarky asshole and repeat that meme "as wide as an ocean shallow as a puddle". Well guess what? It's still as wide as a god damn ocean.

Sleeping dogs is just a good game that had some really amazing quicklooks. That's it. It shouldn't be on this list.

#57 Edited by Milkman (16531 posts) -

I'm just happy that Sleeping Dogs beat GTA V. That's enough of a victory for me.

#58 Posted by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

@hailinel: Look, let me put it another way. If you were to think about, if you went around in real life, which video game franchises have enough of an impact that it'd not be a particularly unusual thing to see them referenced on a random persons clothes or posessions. Zelda, and the basic Nintendo staples, obviously. World of Warcraft would also be unsurprising. An N7 hoodie is nothing to really take notice of. And Skyrim has joined that club, I think. How long will it last? Who knows. Will it lead into a lasting wider appeal for the series as a whole? Anybodies guess. Does that make it as good as, or better than Zelda or Mass Effect? It says nothing of the sort.

But c'mon. Were discussing it's cultural impact vs. that of Sleeping Dogs. Go to a couple decidedly non-game websites, and ask them if they've heard of, and what they've heard about Skyrim and Sleeping Dogs. How many do you think would actually know sleeping dogs exists? Argue what you like about how deep or shallow Skyrim's cultural penetration really is, its not really a thing we're equipped to measure anyway, but I'm pretty sure it beats out the game with little-to-no name recognition outside the enthusiast crowd.

As for Skyrim's impact on games 10 years from now, as someone else mentioned, I'll refrain from speculating. Predictions like that are always bullshit, the only way to answer that question is with a time machine.

#59 Posted by Hailinel (23907 posts) -

@hailinel: Look, let me put it another way. If you were to think about, if you went around in real life, which video game franchises have enough of an impact that it'd not be a particularly unusual thing to see them referenced on a random persons clothes or posessions. Zelda, and the basic Nintendo staples, obviously. World of Warcraft would also be unsurprising. An N7 hoodie is nothing to really take notice of. And Skyrim has joined that club, I think. How long will it last? Who knows. Will it lead into a lasting wider appeal for the series as a whole? Anybodies guess. Does that make it as good as, or better than Zelda or Mass Effect? It says nothing of the sort.

But c'mon. Were discussing it's cultural impact vs. that of Sleeping Dogs. Go to a couple decidedly non-game websites, and ask them if they've heard of, and what they've heard about Skyrim and Sleeping Dogs. How many do you think would actually know sleeping dogs exists? Argue what you like about how deep or shallow Skyrim's cultural penetration really is, its not really a thing we're equipped to measure anyway, but I'm pretty sure it beats out the game with little-to-no name recognition outside the enthusiast crowd.

As for Skyrim's impact on games 10 years from now, as someone else mentioned, I'll refrain from speculating. Predictions like that are always bullshit, the only way to answer that question is with a time machine.

I've honestly never seen anyone walking around in Skyrim clothing that wasn't distributed as event swag. And the game with the greater cultural penetration doesn't necessarily mean it's the greater game. Fewer people might know of Sleeping Dogs, but on both the technical and artistic level, I'd argue that Sleeping Dogs is a better designed and more focused title. Skyrim is too big and grand for its own good; there's a lot more to do, but not much of it is truly interesting or fun. Sleeping Dogs is more consistent in both its gameplay and its narrative.

#60 Edited by altairre (1127 posts) -

I played nearly 30 hours of Skyrim which is enough to say that I don't think that it's a good game. The quests aren't very interesting, the combat system is fucking terrible and I never got that whole "living, breathing world" either. There is a lot of dumb shit that can happen sure but it never got to the point where I was engaged in any of it. Sleeping Dogs on the other hand is an amazing open world game that I enjoyed immensely and while it's not going to win this fight I'm happy that it got this far in the first place.

#61 Posted by AndrewB (7496 posts) -

Skyrim is an easy win, even though I really loved most of Sleeping Dogs (especially how pretty it was).

#62 Posted by Lyisa (328 posts) -

With how heated this is I think we need to get Brad and Vinny in on this to argue it out goty 2011 style.

Its the only way.

#63 Posted by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@towersixteen said:

I've honestly never seen anyone walking around in Skyrim clothing that wasn't distributed as event swag. And the game with the greater cultural penetration doesn't necessarily mean it's the greater game. Fewer people might know of Sleeping Dogs, but on both the technical and artistic level, I'd argue that Sleeping Dogs is a better designed and more focused title. Skyrim is too big and grand for its own good; there's a lot more to do, but not much of it is truly interesting or fun. Sleeping Dogs is more consistent in both its gameplay and its narrative.

Hmm, well, I have seen the Skyrim merch, though I don't for a second think it'll be around very long, the fact that it was ever there at all is more my point. Anyway, of course greater cultural penetration doesn't mean a better game! But we WERE specifically talking about cultural impact, not game quality, I remind you, so that wasn't very relevant. I happen to not share your opinion on Skyrim's quality- Steam claims I've logged upward 600 hours into it, and frankly was just playing it today- but I don't hold any illusions as to the fruitfulness of arguing that, nor do I think your opinion there is invalid. I will note that when I dote on Skyrim, I'm really only referencing the PC version, and counting the moddablility as a base feature seeing as they include the Creation Kit free of charge- so I play a version with souped-up gameplay, a much better UI, and rebalanced mechanics. One could argue that that's not a fair thing when discussing a "Game of..." thing, but the only "Game of..." thing that could ever possibly be meaningful is personal game of, whether it's year or generation, so I feel no qualms about it. I also personally adore the games grandness, and the real sense that everything, from the attitudes of the people to the architecture to the mythology, could legitimately be the product of a unifying culture, while still not making everything and everyone lock-step to that culture. That's a very hard and rare feat in a fantasy setting and it helps draw me in immensely.

#64 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1670 posts) -

I had a blast playing Sleeping Dogs for 22-ish hours, while Skyrim was incredibly boring.

I totally agree. I don't understand how people have fun playing Skyrim; I've tried twice now and gotten bored within a few hours both times. There's just nothing to the combat; I found it marginally more interesting when I was doing stealth (which feels kinda busted sometimes) and archery, but not enough to keep me playing. I will give Bestheda their props for being good at world-building, but it's not enough on it's own.

I do find myself enjoying the Fallout games, though. I think it's because that universe is way more interesting to me than generic fantasy nonsense, and there's a little more depth to the VATS system combat (and plus you get guns, so that's cool!).

#65 Posted by thomasnash (539 posts) -

I'm really happy Sleepy dogs is pulling through! You can do it little engine!

I voted Sleepy Dogs. Skyrim looks nice, but that is about all I think I really enjoy in it? Some of the story stuff is kind of engaging, but very little of the main story. A lot of the RPG design in it felt pared down to something I just can't get behind really (the lack of "unique" loot was a real turnoff after a while) and the combat was just bad bad bad. Both issues are made infinitely worse by the repetetive dungeon design; yay! I have discovered a dungeon where I will fight loads of draugr using a combat system that I find wholly tedious and uninvolving, and my reward shall be a sword that is essentially generic, better options than which I churn out to sell during my smithing sessions. And fuck dragons. I dunno, I'm never gonna say Skyrim is bad, it would be dishonest because I played a lot of it and I won't deny there is stuff about the world and the story that I found interesting, but honestly there are some really glaringly obvious flaws that are major parts of the whole product.

Sleeping Dogs really did it for me, I guess. It was really fun, it had a nice look to it, it had a story that was enjoyable and trashy but still weirdly involving (even though it is like, super obvious that your friend is going to have a bad time right when he is introduced, I still grew kind of attached to him). It also had some really good voice acting I think?

#66 Posted by punkxblaze (2957 posts) -

Seeing as I played the everloving shit out of Skyrim, but never got to play Sleepydawgs, I've gotta go with the rim on this one. It's a shame to see so many posts on the matter being inflammatory statements of THIS GAME SUCKED SO YOU'RE ALL IDIOTS (on either side of the debate). Good on those of you who are having an actual discourse about the matter, though.

#67 Posted by BaconGames (3292 posts) -

Generally speaking I would put Skyrim up there as my game of the generation, although not necessarily all due to its quality. I love Sleeping Dogs but as games I put my experience playing Skyrim over Sleeping Dogs and that's really all I would say about that. FWIW I got deep into modding the PC version and I don't know if I would have necessarily enjoyed it as much without putting in mods left and right.

This another match up between not only two great games but ones I personally would argue for. This time though I gotta give it to Skyrim. Still happy it beat GTA V though *teehee*

#68 Posted by Flappy (2130 posts) -

Totally waiting for someone to get shanked over these poll results.

+1 Sleeping Dogs

Style, good combat, and catchy music go a long way in winning my heart. Skyrim is lacking in those departments.

#69 Posted by slyspider (1155 posts) -

@slyspider said:

Skyrim had problems but the importance of that game will not be lost for years to come, sleeping dogs however is incredible but it will not influence games 10+ years from now like skyrim

What importance? The only people that took things away from that game and are going to try to emulate its gameplay systems are Bethesda in whatever they do next because that is what they do. It sold like a bazillion copies but it was all off the back of the success of games like Fallout 3 and Oblivion, which were also very close to being the same game regardless of what anyone tries to tell you. Skyrim is a good game, but it isn't influential because nobody tries to make games like Bethesda does, it isn't defining in any way because there are plenty of open world games that do open world better. It certainly is not game of the generation quality.

All of that is arguments against skyrim but not for sleepy dogs, i dont think skyrim is the best game ever made, i dont think it should win the overall poll, but it is more influential than sleepy dogs. Skyrim had a deep combat system with a massive open world full to the brim with things to do in it. It looks beautiful while rendering a massive draw distance. The ps3 chunkyness is unforgivable though

#70 Posted by MAN_FLANNEL (2462 posts) -

I still can't believe Sleeping Dogs beat out GTA V. It's understandable with the seemingly dozen quicklooks with Vinny and the lack of a PC GTA V port, but come on man. That's some True Crime > San Andreas shit right there. Some of the contenders don't even make sense. Azura's Wrath and Hitman Blood Money? Gears of war 3 over Gears of War?

Anyways Skyrim is an amazing game. I have put 150 legitimate hours into 1 character, and that's without playing the DLC (which I still want to do).

Also the poll seems broken. It adds up to 115%

#71 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

Skyrim is a better game but I enjoyed Sleeping Dogs slightly more so I'm going with that, again.

#72 Posted by Hailinel (23907 posts) -

I still can't believe Sleeping Dogs beat out GTA V. It's understandable with the seemingly dozen quicklooks with Vinny and the lack of a PC GTA V port, but come on man. That's some True Crime > San Andreas shit right there. Some of the contenders don't even make sense. Azura's Wrath and Hitman Blood Money? Gears of war 3 over Gears of War?

Anyways Skyrim is an amazing game. I have put 150 legitimate hours into 1 character, and that's without playing the DLC (which I still want to do).

Also the poll seems broken. It adds up to 115%

Sleeping Dogs isn't True Crime. GTAV isn't San Andreas.

#73 Edited by ArtelinaRose (1839 posts) -

@slyspider said:

Skyrim had a deep combat system with a massive open world full to the brim with things to do in it.

No and no.

As somebody that played my first time through Skyrim without fast traveling at all, I will say that I often went hours without coming across anything worthwhile to do unless I went out of my way to find it, and then the things I found were basically repeats of everything else like it. Find a cave or an abandoned fort, walk through the linear hallways power attacking everything to death and then find the "hidden" shortcut at the end that takes you right to the entrance so you don't have to backtrack through the dungeon again. The fancy DYNAMIC EVENTS!!! system they have in place generally assumes you're just fast traveling everywhere and doesn't really populate the world with them as you run along. Any game that wants you to play it as little as possible to enjoy it is not a good thing.

Skyrim looks okay. But there is a reason the most popular series of mods for it are the ENB color/texture filters.

I'm not even going to get into the combat system.

If you want me to argue for Sleeping Dogs, here goes: It's gorgeous to look at. The combat system is engaging and takes elements from good games like the Arkham and Yakuza series. The combat is fast, brutal to look at, and holds weight and impact that make fighting feel good.

You can hop on a motorcycle and speed down the freeway and shoot out the tires on cars causing them to flip over. You can jump from that motorcycle to any other vehicle while you are driving and do crazy shit. In Skyrim, you wait for dragons to land. Even the developers realized fighting dragons was a fucking pain in the ass, but rather than make it actually fun, they just give you a shout 3/4ths through the game that forces them to land to cut back on tedium.

The upgrades you get are meaningful, unlike Skyrim's; they generally have an impact on the way you play and expand your gameplay options.

The story is interesting and engaging, filled with characters with depth that are both likeable and complete dirtbags; you feel for Wei Shen and the things he does but you come to rely on these shady characters as comrades. As Wei slips further into the Triad underworld and becomes more and more connected with those around him, so do you. The narrative addresses both Wei Shen AND the player becoming part of something they're not supposed to grow attached to.

Sleeping Dogs is a smaller, more focused experience and I think it benefits from the constrained vision. Skyrim is too big for its own good and often breaks under the weight of it. The content is not engaging, interesting, or memorable. Sleeping Dogs may not have these random events that pop up every other time you fast travel but the content they created is worth doing, even if you just go through the main storyline. When you finish Sleeping Dogs, there is resolution. Character arcs have come and gone, the characters have evolved... in Skyrim, when you finish the game, literally NOTHING has changed.

#74 Edited by SarcasticMudcrab (146 posts) -

Nude mod + 100 pickpocket skill.

#75 Posted by magicwalnuts (81 posts) -

Man, I hate Skyrim for being the game the internet refuses to shut the fuck up about. But I don't think Sleeping Dogs was as good of a game as Skyrim. Guess I'll still vote Sleeping Dogs, just for the shin breaking.

#76 Posted by GnuStylo (23 posts) -

I for one feel that this is an easy vote for Sleeping Dogs. This was my first Elder Scrolls experience and I was super excited about fighting dragons and the like. Getting further into the game though I just felt that the core mechanics of fighting was filled with tedium, the world is fantastic and the setting is great but I couldn't bring myself to finish it.

As for Sleepy Dowgs(as Vinny would say) it gets a surprise value added to it because I thought this game was going to be trash. There are some hiccups but its a fantastic looking game(played on pc) and the fighting was super fun. Being enthralled in gang relations in China is also way more interesting to me.

With all this said it is a tough choice for many but I will continue to play my Sleeping Dogs over Skyrim.

#77 Posted by TheHT (10890 posts) -

@theht: The stealth is terrible, sadly.

I'm going to vote for Skyrim, even though I don't think either one should go any further than this.

The mechanics are fine, nothing special. You can get so stupid powerful going the Sneak tree though it doesn't even matter. Eventually you're just rolling through areas (literally), one-shotting everything with bows and daggers.

#78 Edited by Slag (4015 posts) -

Sleepy Dawgs all the way.

The game was mechanically super fun the whole way through and was about the right size.

Skyrim is pretty rad, but it's too big and directionless for it's own good at times. I just didn't find the combat compelling either.

#79 Posted by Hunter5024 (5543 posts) -

I think Skyrim sucks and I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one on the site who thinks so. The combat is super shallow, and the story is dull and uninspired. I would love if Sleeping Dogs took down both Grand Theft Auto and Elder Scrolls. That would be hilarious.

#80 Posted by overnow (120 posts) -

I loved Sleeping Dogs but I have to pick Skyrim here. It was easily one of my favourite games of the generation and I put hundreds of hours into it on both the PS3 (even after my save file "got too big" or whatever and the game got all laggy and weird) and then the PC.

#81 Posted by Hailinel (23907 posts) -

I want to know how this is supposed to be a fair fight when the vote percentage totals are completely messed up.

#82 Edited by Cold_Wolven (2211 posts) -

Skyrim, very few games have me immersed in its world and play for hours and explore.

#83 Edited by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

@hailinel: I'd wait till we get an answer as to WHY they're messed up, in all these threads, first, before worrying about it- I trust if something truly compromised it, and it's not just reading wonky for some reason, it'd be done over.

I have my doubts that it would really change things, though.

EDIT: Apparently not all of them are fucked now. Colour me curious.

#84 Posted by Demoskinos (14563 posts) -

@towersixteen: If were talking tech I'll concede that. However design way no way. There were more guilds and ways to craft your character. And because everything was dice rolls that made you really commit to a build instead of this Jack of all trades bullshit. RPG's are at their most interesting when they force you to actually ya know role play. Skyrim is such a streamlined and neutered version of morrowind.

Even the world itself trades heavily on the biggest fantasy tropes such as Giant Spider's and wolves as enemies. Morrowinds landscape felt ailen in a way no fantasy game ever has before.

#85 Edited by falling_fast (2187 posts) -

I like Skyrim. I also like Sleeping Dogs, but not as much. Hopefully Sleeping Dogs 2 will do more with its open world. in spite of its great art design, Sleeping Dogs Uno felt a bit barren in that regard. also, I'd like the option to have the entire thing be in subbed Cantonese. main character's actor was good, but everyone else was a lot less good.

#86 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

I can't vote for a game that was unplayable and broken on the console that I owned when it came out, so Sleeping Dogs it is.

#87 Edited by seamuspaxman (55 posts) -

I used to be such a big fan of them Elder Scrolls, ever since Morrowind. It was one of the first games i owned on an Xbox. But damn, has that series sunk to some lows. I even liked Oblivion. Sure they took out a lot of what Morrowind had, the atmosphere wasn't nearly as engaging, music was somewhat forgettable aside from the main theme, but the quests and factions were really worth pursuing. Felt like it had heart.

Then came Skyrim..

Skyrim, man. Skyrim did it for me. The faction questlines were terrible and so fucking short compared to the ones in Morrowind and Oblivion. The NPCs weren't nearly as colourful and interesting as in the previous titles. The assortment of weapons and armor has been getting shorter and thinner as the series goes on. Everything in it has gotten more mainstreamed, and it's always been for the worse. Down to the skills and spells. The only things Skyrim has done well, is look fantastic and sound amazing. Everything else is just a bland forgettable journey.

Oh, and Sleeping Dogs was really good.

Sleeping Dogs has my vote.

#88 Edited by ajamafalous (11850 posts) -

Sleeping Dogs is 2012's GOTY whereas Skyrim is not even a good game.

#89 Edited by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

@demoskinos: Aye, I don't actually think that debate can be summarized in one sentence. My opinion is different, though- I fucking hate the dice roles in Morrowind. I hate swinging a sword, hitting a thing, and being told OOPS! I didn't REALLY hit a thing. I hate that shit so, so, hard. I don't mind it in say, Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights because the action is so abstracted, but in a game like Morrowind it drives me up a fucking wall.

I will concede the world-building and design edge to Morrowind, however, I also don't think the gap is as large as it is made out to be. The biggest advantage, as you've noted, is the unlike-anything-else alienness, combined with the stranger-in-a-strange land tone of the writing. I don't, however, think Skyrim is less competently executed- -it's less unique, to be sure, but the coherent Norse-flavoured fantasy culture is well done and I still like it quite a bit. The fact that we've seen more of it before isn't an automatically bad thing. Also, even if it's not exactly great, I think the universal voice acting adds a lot. Furthermore, while stuff like Levitate did allow for more design options, the quests and dungeons and the like are a bit more consistent in Skyrim- Morrowind's got some great ones, but it also has some crazy bad, yell-at-the-screen ones. Finally, the addition of Shout words was a great way to make more dungeoneering rewarding, too often in Morrowind or Oblivion I'd come out of a cave or ruin or whatever with no interesting treasure, no new quests leads, and having seen nothing new in that particular dungeon. Skyrim isn't immune to that but I think it's a bit better.

As I think I mentioned earlier, I play heavily modded. For me, at last call, modded Skyrim has been a lot more fun and satisfying than modded Morrowind, partialy because the things I reaaallly don't care for in the systems are a little more bred in it's bones with Morrowind, whereas mods to change the perk progression system to suit your desires are pretty simple to come by.

#90 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2718 posts) -

Voted for Sleeping Dogs, but don't really mind Skyrim taking it.

#91 Posted by Matoyak (270 posts) -

The thing I wish Bethesda would do is realize they're terrible at creating epic storylines. The thing Bethesda is fantastic at is creating a culture and a world, and creating lots of small things that add up. I would love to see them just create a world and have no main storyline, just lots of smaller quests and factions that are personal to the characters involved. No need to have large, world-spanning threats of doom, they're bad at making those anyways.

I voted for Skyrim because I enjoyed it more than Sleeping Dogs, and because I felt it has had a larger impact on games than Sleeping Dogs.

#92 Posted by sephirm87 (230 posts) -

This contest is between ME:2 and Skyrim in my opinion, so...

#93 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2945 posts) -

That was a hard choice but I can't ignore the time I spent modding and playing Skyrim. Maybe 30 different characters, more than a hundred hours. Never beat the stupid main quest.. Bethesda makes the best worlds in videojames. They may not have the atmosphere of a BioShock but their scale and beauty and your freedom and abilities within have pretty much zero competition. They should just drop the main story part and deliver quest buckets, and focus on making the game open and easy to mod, with simple integration etc. I really console gamers to get access to mods in the future. It's crazy actually, if you think about it, only 15% or something of Skyrim's 10 million is on PC.

#94 Posted by slyspider (1155 posts) -

@slyspider said:

Skyrim had a deep combat system with a massive open world full to the brim with things to do in it.

No and no.

As somebody that played my first time through Skyrim without fast traveling at all, I will say that I often went hours without coming across anything worthwhile to do unless I went out of my way to find it, and then the things I found were basically repeats of everything else like it. Find a cave or an abandoned fort, walk through the linear hallways power attacking everything to death and then find the "hidden" shortcut at the end that takes you right to the entrance so you don't have to backtrack through the dungeon again. The fancy DYNAMIC EVENTS!!! system they have in place generally assumes you're just fast traveling everywhere and doesn't really populate the world with them as you run along. Any game that wants you to play it as little as possible to enjoy it is not a good thing.

Skyrim looks okay. But there is a reason the most popular series of mods for it are the ENB color/texture filters.

I'm not even going to get into the combat system.

If you want me to argue for Sleeping Dogs, here goes: It's gorgeous to look at. The combat system is engaging and takes elements from good games like the Arkham and Yakuza series. The combat is fast, brutal to look at, and holds weight and impact that make fighting feel good.

You can hop on a motorcycle and speed down the freeway and shoot out the tires on cars causing them to flip over. You can jump from that motorcycle to any other vehicle while you are driving and do crazy shit. In Skyrim, you wait for dragons to land. Even the developers realized fighting dragons was a fucking pain in the ass, but rather than make it actually fun, they just give you a shout 3/4ths through the game that forces them to land to cut back on tedium.

The upgrades you get are meaningful, unlike Skyrim's; they generally have an impact on the way you play and expand your gameplay options.

The story is interesting and engaging, filled with characters with depth that are both likeable and complete dirtbags; you feel for Wei Shen and the things he does but you come to rely on these shady characters as comrades. As Wei slips further into the Triad underworld and becomes more and more connected with those around him, so do you. The narrative addresses both Wei Shen AND the player becoming part of something they're not supposed to grow attached to.

Sleeping Dogs is a smaller, more focused experience and I think it benefits from the constrained vision. Skyrim is too big for its own good and often breaks under the weight of it. The content is not engaging, interesting, or memorable. Sleeping Dogs may not have these random events that pop up every other time you fast travel but the content they created is worth doing, even if you just go through the main storyline. When you finish Sleeping Dogs, there is resolution. Character arcs have come and gone, the characters have evolved... in Skyrim, when you finish the game, literally NOTHING has changed.

I very easily see your point, i love me some sleepy dogs! While i still dont agree with it, we should both still get a medal for having an actual conversation without resorting to bitter posts insulting intelligence! yay us!

#95 Posted by JadeGL (749 posts) -

Skyrim. Sorry. It's just the type of game that draws me in on every level. It had issues like most humongous open world games do, but it was just fantastic.

#96 Posted by Hadoken101 (716 posts) -

I will always vote against shitty Bethesda combat and gameplay in these polls, so Sleeping Dogs gets my vote.

#97 Posted by breton (1437 posts) -

I like to agree with Jeff as he said in the 2011 GoTY deliberations "It's a bummer that this entire game can't come up with one quest line that is as good as something they wrote five years ago" and for me not even enjoying Oblivion either.

#98 Posted by Dalai (6997 posts) -

I know it has no chance, but I had to bet Sleeping Dogs. I just can't see myself playing or even liking the Elder Scrolls games.

#99 Edited by el_stork (65 posts) -

Sorry Sleepy Dogs :(

#100 Edited by Rapid (1346 posts) -