GotG Round 2: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves vs. Minecraft

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Poll GotG Round 2: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves vs. Minecraft (721 votes)

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves 62%
Minecraft 38%

Main thread

Full bracket

Has someone recreated the Uncharted 2 train sequence in Minecraft? If not then they should. Unless it's really hard then don't bother and learn some life skills or something.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (2009)

Japanese box art is so good

Minecraft (2011)

Voting closes at midnight GMT / 4pm PST Friday.

• 
bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I like Minecraft

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Still going for Minecraft, but that Uncharted box art...

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncharted 2 because I like Nathan. I don't like Minecraft man, he's a killer of innocents.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'd vote for Minecraft if we were talking about it in the Beta Days; everything post-release has just turned it into a disappointing, muddled mess with a complete lack of cohesion to the design. They just throw shit into a pot nowadays and it made me completely lose interest.

Kain55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Uncharted 2 is probably the best game on the PS3 and easily one of the best this generation. I've never understood the appeal of Minecraft so easy vote for me.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It bums me out that Minecraft will get voted out in this round but Giantbomb gave Uncharted GOTY so it will win. Don't get me wrong Uncharted was good but the last third of the game kinda sucked.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Blue dudes.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By bacongames

I still might give this one to Minecraft because where Uncharted is a great ride I still think Minecraft's reach and importance at this point trumps a one and done, however brilliant, action romp. Uncharted 2 is still without a doubt a worthy contender for Game of the Generation though.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is Minecraft even above 40%?! I mean, sure, it's fun with friends but REALLY people?!? UNCHARTED 2 is better!

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

Oh man, I've never seen that Japanese box art for Uncharted before! So good!!! Uncharted 2 is one of the best PS3 games, and I never got into Minecraft, so easy choice here.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I respect Minecraft, but love Uncharted 2.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Minecraft was very influential. That goddamned blocky style and the whole create-a-world schtick have really... stuck. Kiiiiiiiinda don't give a shit about Minecraft though. It led to Terraria, so that's cool I guess.

Uncharted 2 was a display of all-around proficiency. The set-pieces, the performances, the animation, the gr4phix, the writing, the shooting, the movement. It's one hell of a game.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 2

I suspect Uncharted 2 will win, but Minecraft was a more influential game for this generation.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Minecraft should really take this. Uncharted is arguably the best entry in a series of shooters with cinematic moments. Minecraft is a legitimate indie phenomenon.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what kind of matchup is this?

minecraft is the more influential game this generation, but dammit, my vote is with uncharted 2.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By 49th

Minecraft is probably more influential but fuck Minecraft. Uncharted 2 is one of the best action games ever.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not a Minecraft guy, so Uncharted 2 is an easy choice for me.

I'm surprised it's not closer, though.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Oh wow I had missed the LittleBigPlanet poll. You can all go eat a wet fucking turd, LittleBigPlanet is the greatest game of the generation. :(

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Oh wow I had missed the LittleBigPlanet poll. You can all go eat a wet fucking turd, LittleBigPlanet is the greatest game of the generation. :(

...nope.

My vote goes to Minecraft.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthorange said:

...nope.

http://i.minus.com/iXDwWyirxQcpQ.gif

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#22  Edited By Belegorm

I think Uncharted 2 had my favourite moments on console this generation.

That said, for years now PC has been my main machine, and Minecraft has become this ridiculous phenomenon. For example, there's plenty of people who have never heard of Uncharted, but I challenge you to find someone who hasn't heard of Minecraft.

So my vote for Minecraft.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

what kind of matchup is this?

minecraft is the more influential game this generation, but dammit, my vote is with uncharted 2.

I don't think so. Many AAA titles tried to be more like Uncharted 2. Uncharted 2 set a new level in terms of storytelling, characters, gameplay and overall presentation.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

If this were Uncharted 2 vs Terraria, it might be a more difficult decision.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Minecraft is my favorite game of all time. Sorry Uncharted 2. I still love you.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I get that Minecraft is important or whatever but Uncharted 2 for me, no contest.

Aounslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Aounslaught

I don't like Minecraft. Played it with my friends but soon realized that I'm not creative enough for it. Uncharted 2 on the other hand was a thrill ride from start to finish. The graphics completely blew me away and I still think it's one of the best looking games this generation.

Having said that, my vote has to go to Minecraft simply because of the phenomenon that it is. Uncharted 2 is cool and all, but it does absolutely nothing that other games haven't. At the end of the day, it's just another 3rd person shooter.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I can live without minecraft, but I'm amazed how it's just captured the hearts of little childrens

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mariachimacabre said:

@darthorange said:

...nope.

http://i.minus.com/iXDwWyirxQcpQ.gif

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

Every time you play that train level, it's the same.

Every time I load Minecraft, it's different. And you don't have to be a homicidal sociopath if you choose not to.

WCK604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Minecraft because it's used as god damn learning tool. It TEACHES creativity. That is beyond awesome.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Minecraft is a great, genre defining, simulated lego experiment that has implications in the real world. It has inspired many people on many different levels and stimulates creativity. It's can be for babies or adults.

Uncharted 2 made us look at games in a different way. It dared to be more cinematic without losing to much in the way of game play.

Both are really great games. I voted for Uncharted 2 because Minecraft is for babies.

No, seriously, Uncharted 2 has more lasting appeal for me but it would never win game of the generation. Neither would Minecraft. Minecraft is undoubtedly one of the most important games to be made in a long time, though. Kind of weird to think that genre had never been thought of before. It's always so simple in retrospect.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncharted 2 for me, the game part of Minecraft got boring really fast, I much prefer Terraria.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#35  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I sort of irrationally despise Minecraft, because I'm a cynical old man who no longer has any imagination and the idea of a game throwing you in the middle of nowhere and saying "Make your own fun, but you're going to have to check a wiki to understand how to make anything" drives me insane.

Then again, Uncharted 2's biggest strengths are that it has really nice set-pieces. eh. I'll abstain.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I like Uncharted 2 better but Minecraft was definitely the more important game.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think people accidentally voted for Uncharted.... this poll is bullshit.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could someone please explain how Minecraft is such an important game? I get that it's popular and that it's a good gateway drug for kids to get into games, and that there's some amazing displays of talent going on in that game. But how influential has it been on other games?

You could say that if it didn't start the trend of selling your game while in beta, it popularized it. So early access might owe a big thanks to Minecraft? But except for many Minecraft clones, in what way did it influence actual gameplay etc. in other games?

Uncharted/Uncharted 2 had an enormous influence on AAA games, mostly for the worse imo because so many games tried to copy it, but an influence nonetheless. I don't think that should be underestimated here.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By gatehouse

Minecraft changed a lot of things, but Uncharted 2 was just so much damn fun and the closest thing to being in your very own summer blockbuster. Even the blue dudes at the end didn't spoil this brilliant roller-coaster for me.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncharted is clearly the pick here. It's one of the purest forms of entertainment created, while Minecraft monotony personified. Also, Dwarf Fortress did everything interesting that Minecraft does first.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Uncharted is one of my favorite series of the current generation, and 2 is, unquestionably, the best of them...

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Minecraft. I like Uncharted 1 and 3, but 2 was always soooooooooooooo boring to me. (I know, I know, I'm a monster).

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

@amyggen: From a gameplay perspective I'd say it's a big influence on Don't Starve, Terraria, Fortnite and the new EVE game (plus the hundreds of shitty clones). Most importantly though is the fact that it demonstrated to game developers everywhere that you can quit your job to work on your own small project and be successful. Plus, with the amount of money it made, it's been easier for indies to get financing from investors on the hopes of being the next Minecraft. Basically, a lot of indie games wouldn't have been made if it wasn't for Minecraft's influence on the business end of things.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Uncharted for me. That box art doesn't hurt either.

DrxLecter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncharted is a game for people who like movies. Never have I felt less in control of a game than the Uncharted series, it was like 10 minutes of gameplay, 30 minutes of cutscenes. Was never able to get through an entire game because I very rarely felt like I was ever actually playing. That said, I never really got into minecraft either but I voted for it based on the affect it had on the industry as a whole.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That Uncharted 2 Japanese box art is awesome!

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Uncharted 2 Better but Minecraft is a pretty big deal. I voted for Uncharted but I'd completely understand if Minecraft won.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By AngelN7

I'd vote for Minecraft if we were talking about it in the Beta Days; everything post-release has just turned it into a disappointing, muddled mess with a complete lack of cohesion to the design. They just throw shit into a pot nowadays and it made me completely lose interest.

Yup I feel the same I don't even know how minecraft got this far... remember when Giantbomb or at least the Bombcast used to think this wasn't even a game? I feel the same after the "official" release.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I never owned a PS3, but Uncharted is just another cinematic shooter. Minecraft is fucking Minecraft. Come on son.

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@l33t_haxor said:

I never owned a PS3, but Uncharted is just another cinematic shooter. Minecraft is fucking Minecraft. Come on son.

Please...fuck off with that audacious bullshit.