• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by mracoon (4967 posts) 9 months, 12 days ago

Poll: GotG Round 2: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves vs. Minecraft (721 votes)

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves 62%
Minecraft 38%

Main thread

Full bracket

Has someone recreated the Uncharted 2 train sequence in Minecraft? If not then they should. Unless it's really hard then don't bother and learn some life skills or something.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (2009)

Japanese box art is so good

Minecraft (2011)

Voting closes at midnight GMT / 4pm PST Friday.

#1 Posted by BIGJEFFREY (4917 posts) -

I like Minecraft

#2 Posted by BeachThunder (11821 posts) -

Still going for Minecraft, but that Uncharted box art...

#3 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10884 posts) -
Moderator Online
#4 Posted by CaLe (3952 posts) -

Uncharted 2 because I like Nathan. I don't like Minecraft man, he's a killer of innocents.

#5 Posted by LackingSaint (1784 posts) -

I'd vote for Minecraft if we were talking about it in the Beta Days; everything post-release has just turned it into a disappointing, muddled mess with a complete lack of cohesion to the design. They just throw shit into a pot nowadays and it made me completely lose interest.

#6 Posted by Kain55 (124 posts) -

Uncharted 2 is probably the best game on the PS3 and easily one of the best this generation. I've never understood the appeal of Minecraft so easy vote for me.

#7 Posted by laserbolts (5317 posts) -

It bums me out that Minecraft will get voted out in this round but Giantbomb gave Uncharted GOTY so it will win. Don't get me wrong Uncharted was good but the last third of the game kinda sucked.

#8 Edited by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

Blue dudes.

#9 Edited by BaconGames (3371 posts) -

I still might give this one to Minecraft because where Uncharted is a great ride I still think Minecraft's reach and importance at this point trumps a one and done, however brilliant, action romp. Uncharted 2 is still without a doubt a worthy contender for Game of the Generation though.

#10 Posted by awesomeusername (4173 posts) -

Why is Minecraft even above 40%?! I mean, sure, it's fun with friends but REALLY people?!? UNCHARTED 2 is better!

#11 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1683 posts) -

Oh man, I've never seen that Japanese box art for Uncharted before! So good!!! Uncharted 2 is one of the best PS3 games, and I never got into Minecraft, so easy choice here.

#12 Posted by AMyggen (2818 posts) -

I respect Minecraft, but love Uncharted 2.

#13 Posted by TheHT (11128 posts) -

Minecraft was very influential. That goddamned blocky style and the whole create-a-world schtick have really... stuck. Kiiiiiiiinda don't give a shit about Minecraft though. It led to Terraria, so that's cool I guess.

Uncharted 2 was a display of all-around proficiency. The set-pieces, the performances, the animation, the gr4phix, the writing, the shooting, the movement. It's one hell of a game.

#14 Posted by MikeLemmer (547 posts) -

I suspect Uncharted 2 will win, but Minecraft was a more influential game for this generation.

#15 Posted by Hailinel (24382 posts) -

Minecraft should really take this. Uncharted is arguably the best entry in a series of shooters with cinematic moments. Minecraft is a legitimate indie phenomenon.

#16 Posted by mrfluke (5130 posts) -

what kind of matchup is this?

minecraft is the more influential game this generation, but dammit, my vote is with uncharted 2.

#17 Edited by 49th (2726 posts) -

Minecraft is probably more influential but fuck Minecraft. Uncharted 2 is one of the best action games ever.

#18 Posted by TooWalrus (13159 posts) -

I'm not a Minecraft guy, so Uncharted 2 is an easy choice for me.

I'm surprised it's not closer, though.

#19 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

Oh wow I had missed the LittleBigPlanet poll. You can all go eat a wet fucking turd, LittleBigPlanet is the greatest game of the generation. :(

#20 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7076 posts) -

Oh wow I had missed the LittleBigPlanet poll. You can all go eat a wet fucking turd, LittleBigPlanet is the greatest game of the generation. :(

...nope.

My vote goes to Minecraft.

#21 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

@darthorange said:

...nope.

http://i.minus.com/iXDwWyirxQcpQ.gif

#22 Edited by Belegorm (399 posts) -

I think Uncharted 2 had my favourite moments on console this generation.

That said, for years now PC has been my main machine, and Minecraft has become this ridiculous phenomenon. For example, there's plenty of people who have never heard of Uncharted, but I challenge you to find someone who hasn't heard of Minecraft.

So my vote for Minecraft.

#23 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

what kind of matchup is this?

minecraft is the more influential game this generation, but dammit, my vote is with uncharted 2.

I don't think so. Many AAA titles tried to be more like Uncharted 2. Uncharted 2 set a new level in terms of storytelling, characters, gameplay and overall presentation.

#24 Posted by Hunter5024 (5612 posts) -

If this were Uncharted 2 vs Terraria, it might be a more difficult decision.

#25 Posted by spraynardtatum (2806 posts) -

Minecraft is my favorite game of all time. Sorry Uncharted 2. I still love you.

#26 Posted by Milkman (16637 posts) -

I get that Minecraft is important or whatever but Uncharted 2 for me, no contest.

#27 Edited by h83r (468 posts) -

I don't like Minecraft. Played it with my friends but soon realized that I'm not creative enough for it. Uncharted 2 on the other hand was a thrill ride from start to finish. The graphics completely blew me away and I still think it's one of the best looking games this generation.

Having said that, my vote has to go to Minecraft simply because of the phenomenon that it is. Uncharted 2 is cool and all, but it does absolutely nothing that other games haven't. At the end of the day, it's just another 3rd person shooter.

#28 Posted by crithon (3120 posts) -

I can live without minecraft, but I'm amazed how it's just captured the hearts of little childrens

#29 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7076 posts) -

@mariachimacabre said:

@darthorange said:

...nope.

http://i.minus.com/iXDwWyirxQcpQ.gif

#30 Posted by Brackynews (4060 posts) -

Every time you play that train level, it's the same.

Every time I load Minecraft, it's different. And you don't have to be a homicidal sociopath if you choose not to.

#31 Posted by WCK604 (2 posts) -

Minecraft because it's used as god damn learning tool. It TEACHES creativity. That is beyond awesome.

#32 Posted by CornBREDX (5094 posts) -

Minecraft is a great, genre defining, simulated lego experiment that has implications in the real world. It has inspired many people on many different levels and stimulates creativity. It's can be for babies or adults.

Uncharted 2 made us look at games in a different way. It dared to be more cinematic without losing to much in the way of game play.

Both are really great games. I voted for Uncharted 2 because Minecraft is for babies.

No, seriously, Uncharted 2 has more lasting appeal for me but it would never win game of the generation. Neither would Minecraft. Minecraft is undoubtedly one of the most important games to be made in a long time, though. Kind of weird to think that genre had never been thought of before. It's always so simple in retrospect.

#33 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

Uncharted 2 for me, the game part of Minecraft got boring really fast, I much prefer Terraria.

#34 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -
#35 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11613 posts) -

I sort of irrationally despise Minecraft, because I'm a cynical old man who no longer has any imagination and the idea of a game throwing you in the middle of nowhere and saying "Make your own fun, but you're going to have to check a wiki to understand how to make anything" drives me insane.

Then again, Uncharted 2's biggest strengths are that it has really nice set-pieces. eh. I'll abstain.

#36 Posted by Slag (4236 posts) -

I like Uncharted 2 better but Minecraft was definitely the more important game.

#37 Posted by TyCobb (1966 posts) -

I think people accidentally voted for Uncharted.... this poll is bullshit.

#38 Posted by AMyggen (2818 posts) -

Could someone please explain how Minecraft is such an important game? I get that it's popular and that it's a good gateway drug for kids to get into games, and that there's some amazing displays of talent going on in that game. But how influential has it been on other games?

You could say that if it didn't start the trend of selling your game while in beta, it popularized it. So early access might owe a big thanks to Minecraft? But except for many Minecraft clones, in what way did it influence actual gameplay etc. in other games?

Uncharted/Uncharted 2 had an enormous influence on AAA games, mostly for the worse imo because so many games tried to copy it, but an influence nonetheless. I don't think that should be underestimated here.

#39 Edited by Gatehouse (606 posts) -

Minecraft changed a lot of things, but Uncharted 2 was just so much damn fun and the closest thing to being in your very own summer blockbuster. Even the blue dudes at the end didn't spoil this brilliant roller-coaster for me.

#40 Posted by Levius (1101 posts) -

Uncharted is clearly the pick here. It's one of the purest forms of entertainment created, while Minecraft monotony personified. Also, Dwarf Fortress did everything interesting that Minecraft does first.

#41 Posted by hermes (1407 posts) -

Uncharted is one of my favorite series of the current generation, and 2 is, unquestionably, the best of them...

#42 Posted by SteadyingMeat (1147 posts) -

Minecraft. I like Uncharted 1 and 3, but 2 was always soooooooooooooo boring to me. (I know, I know, I'm a monster).

#43 Posted by mosespippy (4112 posts) -

@amyggen: From a gameplay perspective I'd say it's a big influence on Don't Starve, Terraria, Fortnite and the new EVE game (plus the hundreds of shitty clones). Most importantly though is the fact that it demonstrated to game developers everywhere that you can quit your job to work on your own small project and be successful. Plus, with the amount of money it made, it's been easier for indies to get financing from investors on the hopes of being the next Minecraft. Basically, a lot of indie games wouldn't have been made if it wasn't for Minecraft's influence on the business end of things.

#44 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5402 posts) -

Uncharted for me. That box art doesn't hurt either.

#45 Posted by DrxLecter (122 posts) -

Uncharted is a game for people who like movies. Never have I felt less in control of a game than the Uncharted series, it was like 10 minutes of gameplay, 30 minutes of cutscenes. Was never able to get through an entire game because I very rarely felt like I was ever actually playing. That said, I never really got into minecraft either but I voted for it based on the affect it had on the industry as a whole.

#46 Posted by Stonyman65 (2669 posts) -

That Uncharted 2 Japanese box art is awesome!

#47 Posted by Vanick (327 posts) -

I liked Uncharted 2 Better but Minecraft is a pretty big deal. I voted for Uncharted but I'd completely understand if Minecraft won.

#48 Edited by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

I'd vote for Minecraft if we were talking about it in the Beta Days; everything post-release has just turned it into a disappointing, muddled mess with a complete lack of cohesion to the design. They just throw shit into a pot nowadays and it made me completely lose interest.

Yup I feel the same I don't even know how minecraft got this far... remember when Giantbomb or at least the Bombcast used to think this wasn't even a game? I feel the same after the "official" release.

#49 Posted by L33T_HAXOR (256 posts) -

I never owned a PS3, but Uncharted is just another cinematic shooter. Minecraft is fucking Minecraft. Come on son.

#50 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

@l33t_haxor said:

I never owned a PS3, but Uncharted is just another cinematic shooter. Minecraft is fucking Minecraft. Come on son.

Please...fuck off with that audacious bullshit.