GotG Round 3: Batman: Arkham Asylum vs. Dragon Age: Origins

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

• 
ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

It's motherfucking Dragon Age. Don't be silly. Vote for it.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Batman is an easy win here.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rocksteady said "what? no one has innovated on brawlers for over 20 years now? What the hell? Ok, let's do that now then."

In this particular poll Batman wins.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I love both of these games. I gave my vote to Arkham Asylum because it was the first good superhero game. The linearity of it worked really well, much better than Arkham City or Arkham Origins (sometimes less is more). The Killer Croc section kind of sucked but otherwise it was fantastic.

Dragon Age: Origins was friggin fantastic, but more because it was a throwback to older games that I loved more (Baldur's Gate I'm looking at you). Again, it's amazing how many times people get sequels wrong. Less options but more recorded dialogue sucked. Making it easier and more actiony sucked. No interesting environments to explore sucked. Let's hope the next is better. (Note that this rant didn't impact my vote here, just wanted to recall how much Dragon Age II disappointed)

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Darn you for making me choose!

Dragon age.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By penguindust

Dragon Age Origins was an amazing game and it was replayable if you wanted to follow the alternate story paths. I really liked Arkham, but Dragon Age consumed me for more than a year.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

You CASUALS!

Broomhitches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thoroughly enjoyed DA:O

Avatar image for disabilityfishy
DisAbiLityFisHy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Batman really paved the way for how modern-day beat-em-ups work with the free flow combat system. Really a strong influence on this generation.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#60  Edited By Little_Socrates

I actually think Dragon Age Origins is really trite and poorly paced/written, and the combat does nothing for me. I would not be likely to choose to play it again.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeust said:

@demoskinos said:

@jeust said:

I hate Dragon Age: Origins with passion!

@xyzygy said:

Batman. DA:O had bad combat and characters and the most uninteresting and predictable story.

I completely agree with you. Also the world seems for the most part ripped from Lord of the Rings and its events.

Really really? Predictable story? Batman trotting out the Joker every goddamn time as the final obstacle in Batman's way is the definition of contrived.

Yeah but what about the other bosses in the game? Scarecrow, Bane, Poison Ivy, etc...

Scarecrow: IM REALLY BIG! DONT LET ME SEE YOU!!

Bane: IM REALLY BIG DONT LET ME RUN INTO YOU

Poison Ivy: IM ON A BIG PLANT DONT LET ME BONK YOU

like none of the other characters aside from batman and the joker really mattered

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is really, really tough. Two of my favoritest games ever. On one hand, I played through DA:O like three times within a year. On the other, Arkham Asylum is the only game I have S ranked. Craaaaap...

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

@49th said:

I want Batman: Arkham Asylum to win.

y u do dis ;_;

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#64  Edited By musubi

@artelinarose: I applaud you for S-Ranking that I gave up on those damned combat challenges I didn't want to put the effort in on those things. I actually S-Ranked Dragon Age on PS3 along with all of the DLC. That took awhile but it was so fun! =)

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artelinarose: I applaud you for S-Ranking that I gave up on those damned combat challenges I didn't wan't to put the effort in on those things. I actually S-Ranked Dragon Age on PS3 along with all of the DLC. That took awhile but it was so fun! =)

It was a lot of frustration and persistence but I got through it eventually. I remember the key was to stop trying to rush through them so quickly and take my time. I stopped attacking all of the time and spaced out my hits so I could react to counter prompts and such. I GUESS I also S ranked Symphony of the Night but I don't think that really counts...

FelixTheNomad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By FelixTheNomad

Wait, why are either of these on a best of the generation list? I am utterly baffled.

RadixNegative2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Man, you guys are monsters. I mean Batman is the greatest super hero game ever made, but Dragon Age: Origins is so much better!

I am a sucker for fantasy though sooo.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon Age was great. But it was pretty much just another Bioware RPG. Arkham Asylum came along and took something that rarely(if ever) get legitimately great games(Batman/Superheroes) and actually made an extremely innovative and now often copied combat system. So Batman wins this one for me.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@felixthenomad said:

Wait, why are either of these on a best of the generation list? I am utterly baffled.

*does best Jeff Gerstmann impression*

Sounds like the work of The Baffler!

Shishkabob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman wins with prep.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Batman has gone down a point, and Dragon Age has gone up a point since I last checked. So there's that.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Boy this is a tough one.

I gotta give it to Batman 'cause dat combat system made fistfighting fun for the first time in a Third person action game for me. As good as DA:O it didn't do something as revolutionary as that.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Was there a voting poll whether Arkham Asylum or Arkham City would be in the running? Because Asylum is great and all but City just seems better in every way except the story.

Avatar image for starfishhunter9
Starfishhunter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Gonna go with batman. It was just more innovative and inventive for a game. Remember when people thought a good superhero game couldn't be a thing prior to AA? (Yes spider man 2 but be honest most superhero games were garbage). Also bio ware is doing their RPG games since the mid 90's + the combat system is just awesome, combined with the awesome stealth.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh dang! Now this is a hard one. I'm not sure if I can choose. I mean, I know I'd probably rate Origins a little higher, but I'm still not sure about this... Damn. I don't think I'm going to choose. I may, but I don't know.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman: Arkham Asylum for just being fun to play, never could finish DA:O as I didn't care much about its focus on strategy and reliance on dice rolls.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Batman is one of my favorite games this generation. I tried Dragon Age several times, but it never grabbed me. Maybe it was the setting (which I found uninspired), the characters (that did nothing to me), or the combat (which moved from unplayable to broken)

So, even if it was another match up, I would have voted against Dragon Age.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman defeats another foe and wins with 57% of the vote and 1013 votes cast.