• 145 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by mracoon (4971 posts) 9 months, 30 days ago
#1 Posted by AMyggen (3035 posts) -

This is a difficult one. COD might be the most influential game of the generation, but I enjoyed playing Skyrim a bit more, especially when modded up. So, Skyrim.

#2 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11001 posts) -

I voted for Call of Duty because that's the game that has had the biggest impact on modern game design. I think Skyrim is better, I spent more time with Skyrim, and I love Skyrim. But I think that if we're talking "game of the generation," then...

#3 Edited by deathfury (531 posts) -

I think CoD4 is the most significant game of the generation, hands down.

#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I really wish somebody had established what we were voting for before starting this competition.

#5 Posted by JayEH (533 posts) -

Skyrim is a great game but its an iteration of Fallout and Oblivion. CoD 4 is the most influential game in the last decade in my opinion.

#6 Posted by solidlife (877 posts) -

COD4 online MP comparable to my Halo 2 days of fun on live. Ah memories but i did enjoy my time with skyrim

#7 Posted by Pr1mus (3904 posts) -

I really wish somebody had established what we were voting for before starting this competition.

The bracket is to determine which game is better than Brothers.

#8 Posted by Bulby33 (590 posts) -

I think Call of Duty 4 was a more important game to the industry because of its slick multiplayer, but I think Skyrim is a better overall game. I had a lot more fun and spent way more time with Skyrim, plus I enjoy more singleplayer-heavy experiences more than multiplayer.

#9 Edited by Bollard (5532 posts) -

COD4 did too much for this industry for it NOT to be Game of the Generation. My most enjoyable game this generation was Oblivion however. Skyrim didn't quite capture that, but it was damn gorgeous.

#10 Edited by Turambar (6784 posts) -

As someone that dislikes first person shooters, and played way too much Skyrim, lets face it, Call of Duty 4 should win this.

#11 Edited by ShaggyDude (136 posts) -

Skyrim is the better game here. It still holds up for me today in terms of story, voice acting, music (and graphics if you're modding the way it renders on PC). Skyrim is fun to load up and play every year around winter time, and it is my go-to game to play when it's too cold to go outside. I think it deserves higher marks than CoD if only for being moddable and being one of a very few games to actually keep a community of modders around years after release. I just updated my ENB render mod last week and gained about 15fps because the guy who makes it is still improving his mod.

#12 Posted by Milkman (16781 posts) -

Call of Duty 4 should probably win this whole thing.

#13 Posted by UitDeToekomst (714 posts) -

i've spent 120 highly enjoyable hours in Skyrim (and I plan to jump back in at some point) and I spent about 6 kind of okay hours in COD4. my vote was easy.

#14 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

I'm going mostly by which game I enjoyed more, and that was definitely Skyrim, but these two aren't too far apart.

#15 Posted by CaLe (3982 posts) -

Skyrim had Max von Sydow tell me of his apocalyptic dragon dream as though he were there in the room with me. Sure, I can admit that I have a man-crush on Cpt. Price, but come on, it's Max von goddamn Sydow. I'm not even Swedish and I can appreciate that.

#16 Posted by Pr1mus (3904 posts) -

I hate Skyrim. I really hate it a lot and Call of Duty 4 is my game of the generation but this result is ok. It takes people with poor taste to form a functional society.

#17 Posted by BaconGames (3408 posts) -

I mean yes, objectively speaking no game in this entire bracket holds a candle to Call of Duty 4's impact. But fuck it, Skyrim was huge too and the game that matters way more as a game to me.

#18 Posted by tourgen (4495 posts) -

hey, I threw COD a free vote. Give on to the underdog.

#19 Posted by BIGJEFFREY (5021 posts) -

1080p Sound

#20 Posted by Flappy (2240 posts) -

CoD shits on Skyrim and its dirty faces.

#21 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

I think Modern Warfare is stronger. Simple as that.

#22 Posted by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

@video_game_king: I sort of assume it was kept broad because the entire idea of comparing games of all genres across an entire generation is a bunch of hooey anyway, so it may as well be fun, relatively laid-back, decide-the-criteria-for-yourself hooey. CoD important blah blah defined modern FPS's snurgle I'm voting for Skyrim.

#23 Posted by Baillie (4165 posts) -

So fucking dumb that skyrim is winning.

#24 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2720 posts) -

Call of Duty 4 is the more important game, and I enjoyed it more.

#25 Edited by Trilogy (2653 posts) -

I was with you up until this point, Modern Warfare. I have to go with one of my favorite games in a long time, Skyrim.

@pr1mus said:

I hate Skyrim. I really hate it a lot and Call of Duty 4 is my game of the generation but this result is ok. It takes people with poor taste to form a functional society.

Seriously though, why do people feel the need to be assholes in these threads? Please refrain from being a shithead if your game isn't winning.

#26 Posted by mlarrabee (2951 posts) -

Tango down in sector One Alpha.

#27 Posted by yinstarrunner (1198 posts) -

Call of Duty 4 was a revolution in multiplayer FPS, for better or worse. I sank soooooooo many hours into it when it came out.

Skyrim is a dumbed down sequel. Sorry, "streamlined."

#28 Posted by Killerfridge (309 posts) -

I voted for Call of Duty 4. I loved Skyrim, but I still did the same thing I do with every Bethesda game: Play for 60 hours, get the best stuff, get bored, then never play it again.

#29 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Call of Duty 4. Skyrim's mediocre controls killed it for me. Call of Duty revolutionized and set the standard for FPS fluidity and was an excellent example of balancing a fantastic campaign with arguably the best multiplayer component around.

#30 Posted by e30bmw (356 posts) -

I put in like 4 or 5 days worth into Skyrim on the worst platform (PS4) and loved it. However, I put about 20 days into COD4 multiplayer alone and I'd still be playing it if people were still playing online.

#31 Posted by RecSpec (3816 posts) -

Skyrim wasn't even the best Elder Scrolls game of the generation, a shame it's beating Modern Warfare.

#32 Posted by ReTarDedFisHy (1064 posts) -

Modern Warfare really deserves to win over Skyrim; can't help but deny what a huge leap CoD4 was in advancing the multiplayer experience for all shooters.

#33 Posted by SarcasticMudcrab (183 posts) -

If cod4 and skyrim were to have a fight cod4 would lag, shout noob and ragequit, skyrim would glitch into a wall and crash.

Boom.

#34 Posted by Atlas (2444 posts) -

It's funny that most of the comments are in favour of CoD4, but as or writing Skyrim is winning 60/40. I wonder if that's because in certain ways Skyrim's success and appeal is somewhat hard to articulate. Or maybe it's because you already know why Skyrim is fucking amazing, and don't need to be told.

Personally, I think the community is making the right choice here. Skyrim is one of my top three games of the generation, for sure.

#35 Posted by armaan8014 (5404 posts) -

I love oblivion, but Skyrim will do

#36 Posted by LeYcH (216 posts) -

This is a hard choice.

I really want to say Modern Warfare because it changed FPS games for the rest of the generation.
But playing all these military shooters lately is making me go "meh".

I love Skyrim through. It has it's flaws but it has one of the biggest modding community. People still play it 2 years on and it sparks creativity among gamers.
Idk man.

I voted Skyrim. I'm sorry.

#37 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

CoD 4 must win this entire thing. If it doesn't you people are fucking morons.

I love Skyrim and I cannot really stand CoD. I'm just doing the right thing.

@trilogy You replying like that? That is the exact same thing that you are admonishing. He presents an opinion, an opinion which incites anger due to its inflammatory nature. Then you return your opinion equally as inflammatory. Think harder.

@video_game_king Due to nobody ever being able to agree on what game that came out in the past 8 years is the most fun, surely we are voting for what game was the most impactful to the industry. I mean, that's something people can agree on that isn't based on subjective opinions. At least, that's how I'm voting.

#38 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

Third installment Infinity Ward. It's deep and it's hard, bitch.

#39 Edited by Trilogy (2653 posts) -

@canteu said:

@trilogy You replying like that? That is the exact same thing that you are admonishing. He presents an opinion, an opinion which incites anger due to its inflammatory nature. Then you return your opinion equally as inflammatory. Think harder.

No, I called it like I saw it. There's nothing wrong with hating on a game or getting excited about a game you love. There IS something wrong when you start starting insulting people's taste. It's childish and it crosses the line. Some of these people need to chill out in these threads. There's a lot of growing up that needs to be done as well.

Not to mention...

@canteu said:

I hope you were joking around here. If not, your criticism of my response is invalid.

#40 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Good to see CoD finally being put down.

#41 Posted by Hailinel (24721 posts) -

@canteu said:

Oh, that's a good one.

#42 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@hailinel: I'm sure you've seen me say it several times before. Don't take me seriously.

@trilogy Comedy is tough on these foums. Everyone is so fucking serious. Compound jokes are hard to spot for most people.

#43 Edited by CaLe (3982 posts) -

@canteu said:

surely we are voting for what game was the most impactful to the industry.

Uhh, no? Who gives a rainbow-colored-shit which game had the most impact, choose the game you liked best. Oh, and try not to tell other people their opinions are wrong, you always come off as the asshole in that argument. I know from experience. I misread your post, never mind that.

#44 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5479 posts) -

Skyrim's winning? Well Fus Ro Duh. Seriousley though, I think Cod 4 is a fine game, but it's not the GOTG in my opinion. Although it was certainly the most influential and relevant, I really don't feel it should go any further than this.

#45 Edited by Hailinel (24721 posts) -

@canteu said:

@hailinel: I'm sure you've seen me say it several times before. Don't take me seriously.

@trilogy Comedy is tough on these foums. Everyone is so fucking serious.

Ah. Tone is difficult to convey in forum text.

#46 Posted by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

@canteu said:

@trilogy Comedy is tough on these foums. Everyone is so fucking serious.

Comedy implies wit, I think. In its absence, it's easy to assume your serious, and then gape at you admonishing people for inflammatory comments.

#47 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@towersixteen: You just called me an idiot because everyone here is so fucking serious. I'm not trying to be funny for you. I'm entertaining myself.

This forum, right here. This forum is Poe's Law in its purest essence.

#48 Posted by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

@canteu: Well, I wish you luck with that! Usually, if I'm just trying to entertain just myself, I don't call that "comedy", and would also consider it a failure if I routinely came away annoyed or angry, but I enjoyed Dark Souls, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

#49 Edited by me3639 (1756 posts) -

@amyggen said:

This is a difficult one. COD might be the most influential game of the generation, but I enjoyed playing Skyrim a bit more, especially when modded up. So, Skyrim.

you said the magic word, mod. Is the game out of the box really special, or is it the modded versions? Its not the retail version and why COD should win.

#50 Edited by outerabiz (661 posts) -

i feel like modern warfare would have a better chance of winning if there hadn't been 6 progressively worse CoD title released since to sour the world on the franchise, It had great MP and one of the most memorable moments in gaming for me( ,see nuke scene). Skyrim is a great game however, and one that i put hundreds of hours into.

I voted MW