• 131 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by mracoon (4978 posts) 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: GotG Round 3: Dark Souls vs. BioShock (1131 votes)

Dark Souls 56%
BioShock 44%

Main thread

Full bracket

There were a few walkovers in the last round but from now on it's only deep cuts. Someone's favourite game from this is going to be knocked out in this round (if it hasn't already).

Dark Souls (2011)

BioShock (2007)

Voting closes at 12pm GMT / 4am PST Monday.

#1 Posted by Vitor (2832 posts) -

I love Dark Souls, I really do. But Demon's Souls to me was the better game and Bioshock was one of my favourite experiences of all time.

Sorry DS, but to me Bioshock had the bigger impact.

#2 Edited by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -

My vote goes to Bioshock, just an overall amazing game.

I'm kind of expecting it to lose though, sadly.

#3 Posted by YI_Orange (1172 posts) -

I think Dark Souls and Bioshock accomplish largely similar things in terms of world. The most interesting bits of both games are the parts they don't tell you, the things that make you wonder. I think Bioshock is a fantastic experience, but I think Dark Souls is as well. However, I think Dark Souls is a better game, in that I actually enjoy the gameplay whereas I find the first person shooting in Bioshock to be mediocre and verging on annoying. I used the wrench almost exclusively to make it more fun.

So for me, Dark Souls.

#4 Posted by Gatehouse (709 posts) -

Dark Souls is the game I'm still playing right now, more than 150 hours after first picking up the controller and I still can't stop playing it. Bioshock was brilliant, don't get me wrong, but Dark Souls gets my vote.

#5 Posted by RazielCuts (2986 posts) -

disgonbegood.gif

#6 Edited by OneKillWonder_ (1830 posts) -

Dark Souls is a wonderful game. But man, BioShock, at the time, was simply incredible. The art style, the huge environments to explore, discovering new ways to take down a Big Daddy....awesome. Not to mention that it really raised the bar for storytelling in video games. I love Dark Souls but I can't not vote for BioShock this time.

#7 Edited by CptBedlam (4457 posts) -

Bioshock was nice and all (never great though) but especially the ending parts just sucked. Dark Souls on the other hand motivated me like no other game in the last 15 years or so could and in my opinion it had a much bigger impact on the whole industry. So, Dark Souls all the way! Absolutely fantastic game.

#8 Edited by ThunderSlash (1949 posts) -

Despair ahead

#9 Posted by 49th (2843 posts) -

I want Bioshock to win.

#10 Posted by Timing (624 posts) -

The art style, the huge environments to explore, discovering new ways to take down a Big Daddy....awesome. Not to mention that it really raised the bar for storytelling in video games.

Replace the "D" in Daddy with "B" and you might as well be talking about Dark Souls.

That said, I haven't played Bioshock so I shouldn't be at liberty to vote here.

Which doesn't mean that I won't.

#11 Posted by Lyisa (390 posts) -

Dark Souls is the game of the generation.

I didn't feel like Bioshock held up all the way through. Toward the end, around when you start putting together the big daddy outfit, the game felt rushed and the combat stale.

You could probably argue that the combat in Dark Souls get stale over time as well, but I felt like the game rewarded memorization and execution well enough that its still exciting to me. I've played well over 200 hours of the game up to this point and would not hesitate to play more had I the chance now.

#12 Posted by thomasnash (585 posts) -

Really tough choice, for sure. I went with Dark Souls because Bioshock had that a last third that was tough to enjoy.

#13 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

Uuuugh. I love Bioshock's creepy atmosphere and... Well, actually, aside from its atmosphere/setting, I don't think Bioshock is that remarkable of a game. The shooting didn't feel particularly good, and the plasmids were cool, but ultimately didn't feel very dynamic. Shock a guy, shoot them/hit them with a wrench. The story has its unfortunate crumbling in the back third, otherwise it would be a far more complete experience.

Dark Souls. Just... fuck you, Dark Souls. Fuck you and everyone who made you what you are. You get my vote you son of a bitch.

#14 Posted by Vanick (332 posts) -

This is getting harder every round. I think I have to give this one to Dark Souls. Bioshock I love you and I'm sorry.

#15 Edited by Strangestories (119 posts) -

Sorry bioshock, I love you so much but you had the bad luck of being pitted against my GotG.

I got Dark Souls a few days after release and am still playing it to this day. Started a faith/strength character last weekend specifically to use Grant.

#16 Posted by McGray90 (76 posts) -

I don't understand the ruckus behind Dark Souls, it's good, brilliant at times, but it doesn't have much in terms of story and just seems to play on peoples nostalgia for hard games, it is hard but I think it wouldn't be quite so if it wasn't for it's clunky attack animations which other games would be chastised for.

Also it's frame rate on the console versions is BAAAAAAAAAAD, but again seems exempt from criticism. Most people can't 'just play it on the PC'.

Bioshock's combat isn't great but the pay off was incredible, some of those characters. Sure the last quarter, if that was underwhelming but I think that's only in comparison to the rest of the game which set a very high bar.

#17 Edited by CaLe (4050 posts) -

My Soul is as Dark as the Sea is Deep and for me it is not Rapture that awaits but Rebirth.

#18 Edited by CptBedlam (4457 posts) -

@mcgray90 said:

I don't understand the ruckus behind Dark Souls, it's good, brilliant at times, but it doesn't have much in terms of story and just seems to play on peoples nostalgia for hard games, it is hard but I think it wouldn't be quite so if it wasn't for it's clunky attack animations which other games would be chastised for.

Also it's frame rate on the console versions is BAAAAAAAAAAD, but again seems exempt from criticism. Most people can't 'just play it on the PC'.

Bioshock's combat isn't great but the pay off was incredible, some of those characters. Sure the last quarter, if that was underwhelming but I think that's only in comparison to the rest of the game which set a very high bar.

1. Dark Souls has a much deeper narrative than Bioshock. It's just not spoon-fed to the player.

2. The love for the game has less to do with nostalgia but rather with the aversion towards modern games that have devolved into mindless content tourism. I was getting bored of gaming in general, even of games like Bioshock... then Dark Souls arrived and I put over 400 hours into it. And I didn't do it because of nostalgia but because it is so incredibly motivating and satisfying to play. I just couldn't stop and I will continue to play it for hundreds of hours to come. Hell, even Demon's Souls' community is still very active and I will play that game again as well.

3. Dark Souls' combat is anything but clunky. It's deliberate and tactical, accounting for the weight of the weapons and armor which most other games completely fail to do. Just because it's not your cookie-cutter hack n slay material doesn't mean it's bad. You're of course always free to play boring shit like Kingdoms of Amalur or whatever.

4. "Incredible pay-off" is a pro for Dark Souls, not Bioshock. Every bit of progress is incredibly satisfying in Dark Souls. Also, I found the supposed pay-off section in Bioshock rather disappointing. The gameplay didn't even change like you'd expect it would; you didn't become that big, hulking thing that you saw slowly stomping through the halls of Rapture before.

5. The fact that the framerate problems in certain areas didn't stop people from absolutely loving Dark Souls is a testament of its quality.

#19 Edited by Atlas (2457 posts) -

I have nothing to say.

#20 Edited by CaLe (4050 posts) -

@atlas said:

I have nothing to say.

Atlas Shrugged at the poll results?

#21 Edited by mercutio123 (473 posts) -

Bioshock is a good experience. But it is a horrible game.

#22 Posted by Demoskinos (15133 posts) -

As much as I adore Dark Souls Bioshock is like my 2nd favorite game of this generation.

#23 Posted by Master_Funk (741 posts) -

DARK SOULS!!!

#24 Posted by Atlas (2457 posts) -

@cale said:

@atlas said:

I have nothing to say.

Atlas Shrugged at the poll results?

More of a disappointed shaking of the head than a shrug, but whatever. I saw this coming. I could explain why I think BioShock is so important, and try and articulate why Dark Souls didn't click with me in the 10 hours I played it, but it's a moot point.

Alea iacta est - the die has been cast.

#25 Posted by falling_fast (2277 posts) -

I think Dark Souls is a better game.

#26 Posted by TheHT (11769 posts) -

Couldn't put down Dark Souls for 3 playthroughs.

#27 Posted by golguin (4041 posts) -

Dark Souls will be the GotG unless Dark Souls 2 is super amazing.

#28 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6136 posts) -

Dark Souls should be winning like 80/20, step it up.

#29 Edited by triviaman09 (803 posts) -

I haven't even started playing Dark Souls yet and I voted for it. This vote is hard, almost pure gameplay versus almost pure story and world-building. I think Dark Souls, if it hasn't already fundamentally changed the direction of some games in terms of what difficulty people will tolerate and what level of repetition and animation-priority and deliberate obscurity they will tolerate, it at least showed that that path was possible.

Edit: I'm talking all this game, but if it's Dark Souls vs. RDR next round, I'm definitely voting RDR.

#30 Posted by Nux (2419 posts) -

This one was easy. It's Dark Souls baby!

#31 Posted by CptBedlam (4457 posts) -

Edit: I'm talking all this game, but if it's Dark Souls vs. RDR next round, I'm definitely voting RDR.

Those two games will probably face each other and RDR will win because more people played and enjoyed it than DS.

I played both and both are in my top 5 games of this generation (of all time even) but my vote will have go to Dark Souls.

#32 Edited by Fredchuckdave (6136 posts) -

@cptbedlam: Unfortunately stuff like Super Metroid and Vagrant Story still wipes the floor with Dark Souls (which is a fine pick for best game this generation); Dark Souls has OBVIOUS flaws, so obvious they're capitalized. That said, yo, Dark Souls 2 isn't even out yet; why is this poll happening now?

#33 Posted by Bulby33 (616 posts) -

Dark Souls. Just loved every bit of it.

#34 Edited by outerabiz (666 posts) -

gonna go ahead and vote dark souls, even though i haven't finished bioshock.

i did buy it 3 times and tried to play it on 3 different occasions/platforms but it just never grabbed me.

#35 Edited by Tesla (1944 posts) -

Bioshock is a great game, one of my all time favorites in fact. I still voted Dark Souls.

#36 Posted by CptBedlam (4457 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: Yeah, no. Super Metroid is fantastic and a great achievement for videogames in general but it certainly doesn't wipe the floor with DS. And Vagrant Story? You must be joking.

#37 Posted by RobotHamster (4177 posts) -

Bioshock is great, I love even more than Infinite. But Dark Souls is just super fucking awesome and I think could probably win this whole thing.

#38 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2730 posts) -

Dark Souls, son.

#39 Edited by Fredchuckdave (6136 posts) -

@cptbedlam: Both games are near perfect, Dark Souls has any number of points where that obviously isn't the case. I do think From has the capacity to make that good of a game though, here's to hoping. Badly designed things in Dark Souls: Vertical Blighttown, Tomb of the Giants, The Great Hollow, Four Kings, Lost Izalith, and so on. Badly designed things in Super Metroid: lolwut? Badly designed things in Vagrant Story: no Vagrant Story 2. Dark Souls is long enough and has some really great highs so it doesn't put a damper on it when compared to other non transcendent games, but this generation doesn't scratch the surface of the SNES/PS1/PS2/GC/N64 titans of best games. I demand a stupid sounding five word quip dismissing all of the following: Super Mario World, Mario 3, Symphony of the Night, Valkyrie Profile 2, Shadow of the Colossus, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy IV, A Link to the Past, Mario 64, Paper Mario, Metroid Prime, and Resident Evil 4. < All of them are better than Dark Souls.

#40 Posted by dudeglove (8270 posts) -

Bioshock didn't help advance the genre, but it sure as hell boosted the audio log economy (if such a thing exists), got a lot of morons spouting twaddle about Ayn Rand and Libertarianism, and boosted Ken Levine as the fucking second coming. Newsflash: he isn't. Bioshock is a bad game for multiple reasons.

Dark Souls almost comes off as a complete rejection of Bioshock's design.

#41 Posted by CptBedlam (4457 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: DS does a lot of great things that SM doesn't though and it still pulls off the Metroidvania structure effortlessly. Even if some parts of DS needed more polish, it's still the much better game overall for me.

#42 Edited by RonGalaxy (3266 posts) -

Bioshock didn't help advance the genre, but it sure as hell boosted the audio log economy (if such a thing exists), got a lot of morons spouting twaddle about Ayn Rand and Libertarianism, and boosted Ken Levine as the fucking second coming. Newsflash: he isn't. Bioshock is a bad game for multiple reasons.

ugh

#43 Edited by CptBedlam (4457 posts) -

@fredchuckdave said:

@cptbedlam: ... < All of them are better than Dark Souls.

lol no. Especially not RE4 which went downhill after the first third. The village part was great, the castle and island parts were merely "good" or "okay". Its story is cringe-worthy from start to finish.

#44 Edited by FriendlyPhoenix (467 posts) -

I continue to be of the opinion that Dark Souls is a bad game, and will vote it against until I no longer can(which, at this point, will be when it wins this entire thing).

I also think Bioshock is damn amazing. So that helps.

#45 Posted by Mezmero (2058 posts) -

In the previous rounds I voted for Dark Souls, not because I thought the other two games were bad but because I genuinely felt Dark Souls was a better experience. This however is a case where I can't side with it against Bioshock. Storytelling in games was the most improved part of this generation and Bioshock nailed that in addition to being a ton of fun to play. The setting itself was awe inspiring and the plot revelations were mind blowing especially if you happened to miss out on stuff like the System Shock games. All the game systems even felt like a part of a fully realized alternate history for America. The art style may not have been completely perfected graphically at the time but that's a tiny gripe to hold an otherwise incredible game.

The feeling of discovery and dread you get while playing Dark Souls is really well done. The problem is that the stuff that was great about it was instilled by a bygone age of games and wasn't necessarily pushing things forward in terms of design. There were vast improvements over the mechanics in Demons' Souls but not in things like camera perspective or responsive controls or straightforward information. It doesn't help that the frame rate gets pretty crappy on consoles. My biggest beef with Dark Souls is that the payoff at the end was not worth the overall effort. At first I feel great about myself until I realize that half a million people were playing it better than I was and most likely finished it in a fraction of the time. It feels like crap when you start hitting a wall with your character build until you learn the cheese.

I don't hate Dark Souls but I don't want games to be as punishing as that game is in the next generation. Is it so wrong to not want to feel angry while playing video games? Hopefully Dark Souls 2 blows it out of the water before this gen ends. I give my vote to Bioshock as it was a game that I enjoyed every moment of.

#46 Posted by Kain55 (135 posts) -

I've played Dark Souls multiple times and have enjoyed it every time, but at some point I always get bored and stop. I've never made it to the end, and not because it was too hard or anything like that. Once you hit that "Aha!" moment in that game it actually becomes pretty damn easy. It's a great game.

Bioshock on the other hand has some of the most atmospheric and intense sections ever. Rapture is one of the most fascinating worlds I've ever visited, and when they drop the other shoe, damn, easily one of the best moments in gaming in my opinion. So that's where my vote goes even though I know that Dark Souls will probably win.

#47 Posted by dudeglove (8270 posts) -

@dudeglove said:

ugh

#48 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4608 posts) -

Well, if we're talking about soundtracks specifically, Bioshock wins that hands down.

It's a tough decision for sure - neither of them are perfect - but ultimately I'm gonna have to go with Souls.

#49 Posted by Spoonman671 (4769 posts) -

You guys are restoring my faith in humanity with this poll!

#50 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11382 posts) -

This is a tough one, and while I think that BioShock probably deserves the spot more than Dark Souls, I can't not vote Dark Souls.