This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by mracoon (4978 posts) 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: GotG Semifinals: Dark Souls vs. Portal 2 (1318 votes)

Dark Souls 57%
Portal 2 44%

Main thread

Full bracket

Only one round left before the moment of truth. The first semifinal pits two beloved sequels from two beloved franchises against each other.

Dark Souls (2011)

Portal 2 (2011)

Voting closes at midnight GMT / 4pm PST Wednesday.

#1 Posted by Donkeycow (557 posts) -

I know it's just a silly internet voting thing but I really do feel RDR should be here *pouts like a child*

#2 Posted by BeachThunder (12409 posts) -

SEMIFINALS!

Dark Souls will probably win (it has been foretold by the great @viking_funeral), but that won't stop me from voting for Portal 2.

#3 Posted by RecSpec (3926 posts) -

Sorry Dark Souls, this is the part where Portal 2 kills you.

#4 Posted by BeachThunder (12409 posts) -

@recspec said:

#5 Edited by Nictel (2434 posts) -

Demon Souls > Dark Souls

Portal 2. Logic is not here.

#6 Edited by bushpusherr (847 posts) -

Motherfuckin' Dark Souls, Jack.

#7 Posted by golguin (4042 posts) -

I feel that Dark Souls is going to easily beat Portal 2. I imagined the last round would be Dark Souls vs Red Dead Redemption or Dark Souls vs Mass Effect 2.

#8 Posted by CaLe (4052 posts) -

I wonder what a Dark Souls-like game made by Valve would be like.

#9 Posted by jimmyfenix (3859 posts) -

Dark Souls Vs Mass Effect 2 in the final.....DARK SOULS WILL WIN GOTG

#10 Posted by RecSpec (3926 posts) -

@cale said:

Demon's Souls 2.

#11 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11390 posts) -

Praise the sun.

#12 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2590 posts) -

... man, this is going to be a blood bath either way.

I really like Dark Souls, but Portal / Portal 2 are so damn good.

aaaaaaargh

Both a great new IPs from respected developers...

Both are generation and genre-defining...

Fuck.

Okay, in the end, I like playing Portal more than I do Dark Souls - though Dark Souls is something that stuck with me for longer, in the moment, Portal is almost peerless in how solving those puzzles made me feel.

Portal 2.

#13 Edited by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

Dark Souls all the way.

#14 Edited by Claude (16254 posts) -

Never played Dark Souls. Seemed like a hard game. I don't like hard games. Portal 2 was pretty damn awesome.

#15 Posted by HatKing (6108 posts) -

@cale said:

Good? Sorry, couldn't resist.

#16 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@recspec said:

Sorry Portal 1, this is the part where Dark Souls Kills you.

Owait, Portal 2? :D not even close.

#17 Posted by Timing (624 posts) -

Oh shit it actually happened.

Like I said in the other thread, I would've been content with RDR winning as well, but now that Dark Souls is through it'd better go all the way!

Y'ALL BETTER BE PRAISIN'

http://24.media.tumblr.com/f9ca541f1d70950f8828e393d359e969/tumblr_mkoo6d3Iwp1qbper1o1_400.gif

#18 Edited by ThunderSlash (1953 posts) -

Grossly incandescent

#19 Posted by jclane (345 posts) -

@hatking said:

@cale said:

Good? Sorry, couldn't resist.

More like never released.

#20 Posted by RecSpec (3926 posts) -

Here's what has me thinking, I know that the Dark Souls fanbase is huge. However, I can't help but wonder what effect LOLS has on the voting.

To say "Oh it's only winning because of LOLS" is crazy because Monster Hunter would not be winning if it was in the same spot, and Vinny probably wouldn't be playing Dark Souls if it was as bad as people against it think it is.

You can't discredit the voting because of it, because there's no way to prove one way or the other, I just find it interesting.

#21 Posted by vikingdeath1 (1005 posts) -

ALL THE WAY TO THE BELT!

DARK SOULS!

#22 Posted by ThePickle (4166 posts) -

@recspec said:

I hope so. Right now Dark Souls has the lead but Portal 2 can mount a comeback easily.

I promised myself I wouldn't get too into this, but my #2 favorite game of this generation is in the semis so I can't not pay attention.

#23 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2590 posts) -

@recspec said:

Here's what has me thinking, I know that the Dark Souls fanbase is huge. However, I can't help but wonder what effect LOLS has on the voting.

To say "Oh it's only winning because of LOLS" is crazy because Monster Hunter would not be winning if it was in the same spot, and Vinny probably wouldn't be playing Dark Souls if it was as bad as people against it think it is.

You can't discredit the voting because of it, because there's no way to prove one way or the other, I just find it interesting.

My thoughts exactly.

LOLS may well be effecting this whole vote - but hey, the fact that Dark Souls is fun to watch means something at least.

#24 Edited by VaddixBell (270 posts) -

Dark Souls - Let it go all the way. You can't stop the rock!

Edit: Well, I don't know... just Dark Souls I guess

PVP fights at the start...

#25 Edited by Demoskinos (15136 posts) -

Yeah! Lets praise the sun!

#26 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

\o/ Praise the Sun

#27 Edited by UberExplodey (943 posts) -

I liked Portal 2 enough to call it my game of the year in 2011.

Load Our Last Souls is fun to watch, but it isn't my jam when it comes down to actually playing the game.

#28 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6392 posts) -

Portal 2. I can't stand masochistic games.

#29 Posted by bushpusherr (847 posts) -

@recspec said:

My thoughts exactly.

LOLS may well be effecting this whole vote - but hey, the fact that Dark Souls is fun to watch means something at least.

I can only speak for myself, but Dark Souls was my 2011 game of the year, and is probably my favorite game of all time. Getting to watch Vinny play it is an added bonus

#30 Posted by coaxmetal (1657 posts) -

Would have gone for Portal 1 were it here, but not 2, not over Dark Souls.

#31 Posted by jclane (345 posts) -
#32 Edited by jakob187 (21757 posts) -

Dark Souls, you are such a glorious fucking game.

Also, for anyone that ever complains about Dark Souls being a masochistic game, it's only masochistic if you refuse to learn the systems in place and the enemies. Once you learn that stuff, you can do level-1-runs all day long.

#33 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I want to make a "Want You Gone" joke regarding this feature, but that would be near impossible to do without fucking up the rhythm.

#34 Posted by Dethfish (3697 posts) -

Portal 2 is the best game ever and I hate all of you that don't vote for it.

#35 Edited by MooseyMcMan (11390 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

Also, for anyone that ever complains about Dark Souls being a masochistic game, it's only masochistic if you refuse to learn the systems in place and the enemies. Once you learn that stuff, you can do level-1-runs all day long.

Well, that's a bit of a stretch. There's still a certain level of (VERY HIGH) skill that you need to do crazy stuff like THAT! I'm assuming you meant that as a joke.

That said, I agree, once you learn the systems, it becomes manageable. Not easy, but manageable.

#36 Posted by RonGalaxy (3266 posts) -

Portal 2 shouldnt have made it this far. Also, the first portal is better.

#37 Edited by coaxmetal (1657 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

Well, that's a bit of a stretch. There's still a certain level of (VERY HIGH) skill that you need to do crazy stuff like THAT! I'm assuming you meant that as a joke.

That said, I agree, once you learn the systems, it becomes manageable. Not easy, but manageable.

It isn't hard though. It is punishing and unforgiving of mistakes, but the actual mechanics of playing it are easier than a lot of action games.

#38 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1811 posts) -

BASTION GOT ROBBED YO!!!

Seriously, though, I'm surprised that big retail games beat out downloadable titles in the early goings. I thought XBLA/PSN/Steam titles defined a whole bunch of this generation.

#39 Edited by ArbitraryWater (12107 posts) -

Praise the Sun! \o/

#40 Edited by MasterRain (317 posts) -

I'd have voted for Portal 1, but in this case i'm going Dark Souls. Portal had already blown its narrative load in Portal 1, so it wasn't nearly as satisfying. Portal 2 felt a bit over produced, Portal 1 was more raw and real. Puzzles were good tho.

#41 Posted by KaneRobot (1824 posts) -

Are you kidding? It's sad that Dark Souls has even made it this far. I wasn't crazy about Portal 2, but it's an easy pick here.

#42 Posted by MelancholyZombie (2 posts) -

The original Portal and Dark Souls are probably my two favourite games from this gen and I probably would have had a hard time choosing between the two. However by virtue of this being Portal 2, Dark Souls gets my vote by a mile.

#43 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11390 posts) -

@mooseymcman said:

@jakob187 said:

It isn't hard though. It is punishing and unforgiving of mistakes, but the actual mechanics of playing it are easier than a lot of action games.

Yes, it totally is easier than say, Ninja Gaiden II. It's not an "easy" game though. I stand by my statement.

#44 Edited by Mento (2800 posts) -

Even with my obvious Dark Souls bias, Portal 2 is just kind of a let-down regardless of this contest. I liken it to that movie 9, the one with the little stitchwork robots in the post-apocalypse, in that the animated short was perfect and gathered enough goodwill to turn it into a big movie that just felt bloated and a little too "safe" in comparison.

I love Portal 2, and I love the characters and lore it added to that series, but it could've been the same length as the first and been just as clever and funny. Valve could have done it like an episodic series, even, with plenty of time to come up with great new ideas for puzzles between each chapter. Remember when Valve used to make episodes of things?

#45 Edited by BaconGames (3574 posts) -

Why did I even look? Why am I even here?

#46 Posted by DonutFever (3536 posts) -

YOU PEOPLE NEED TO STOP THIS

#47 Edited by MooseyMcMan (11390 posts) -

@mento: Remember when Valve used to make games?

#48 Posted by Turambar (6890 posts) -

@dethfish said:

Portal 2 is the best game ever and I hate all of you that don't vote for it.

Portal 1 already invalidates that statement.

#49 Posted by Gamer_152 (14109 posts) -

Portal 2 'til I die. I am in love with that game.

#50 Posted by Itwastuesday (982 posts) -

ALL ABOARD THE DARK SOULS TRAIN especially because Portal is > Portal 2