• 96 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by mracoon (4978 posts) 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: GotG Semifinals: Mass Effect 2 vs. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (1171 votes)

Mass Effect 2 65%
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 35%

Main thread

Full bracket

It's the battle of two of this generations biggest RPGs in the second semifinal.

Mass Effect 2 (2010)

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011)

Voting closes at midnight GMT / 4pm PST Wednesday.

#1 Posted by CaLe (4052 posts) -

Who cares if the last boss was terrible, it was only a tiny part of a massive game.

#2 Posted by Donkeycow (557 posts) -

This is a clash of titans right here, though Mass Effect i imagine will win rather decisively.

#3 Edited by Stonyman65 (2869 posts) -

FUCK Skyrim.

Edit: Modern Warfare and The Last of Us got fucking robbed.

Also, no Saints Row The Third or Saints Row 4 = no Rick.

#4 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11389 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 handily gets my vote. I love Skyrim, but Mass Effect 2 was just SO good.

#5 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Neither of these games are the best in their respective series. This vote is a farce.

#6 Posted by BeachThunder (12407 posts) -

Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!

#7 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2590 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 wins this easily for me.

I mean come on - Mordin? Thane? Legion? Nothing in skyrim formed an emotional connection with me as strongly as a single one of those characters - let alone when you start adding guys like Grunt and Garrus/Archangel.

#8 Posted by bushpusherr (847 posts) -

Two games that I don't love nearly as much as this community does, resulting in probably the toughest vote I've had to make yet haha Both games I think are quite good, but neither I would ever consider GotG. Will be an interesting final!

#9 Posted by RecSpec (3926 posts) -
@canteu said:

Neither of these games are the best in their respective series. This vote is a farce.

I second this, but I still love Mass Effect 2.

#10 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 gets my vote even though I'm still playing Skyrim.

#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I vote for the Mass Effect 3 ending.

#12 Posted by AMyggen (3630 posts) -

ME2, son!

#13 Posted by CptBedlam (4457 posts) -
@canteu said:

This.

I'd vote for ME1 but ME2 has devolved into a boring corridor shooter with utterly predictable encounters (thanks, cover blocks!) and a pathetic story.

#14 Edited by ThePickle (4166 posts) -

Time to avenge your fallen Bethesda brother, Skyrim.

Seriously I'm falling asleep right now at the thought of ME2 and Dark Souls being in the finals.

#15 Posted by Ares42 (2795 posts) -

@cale said:

Who cares if the last boss was terrible, it was only a tiny part of a massive game.

I would agree with you, except for the fact that the ending is far from the only bad thing about Mass Effect 2 =)

#16 Posted by CaLe (4052 posts) -

@ares42 said:

@cale said:

I would agree with you, except for the fact that the ending is far from the only bad thing about Mass Effect 2 =)

Yeah, it also had a slow cursor for the mining mini-game.

#17 Edited by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Femshep!

#18 Posted by jclane (345 posts) -

This is how it ends!

#19 Edited by BulletproofMonk (2730 posts) -

I'm not really happy about Mass Effect 2 being in the finals, but it's still an easy vote over Skyrim.

#20 Posted by D_Bones (372 posts) -

Gotta go with ME2. The characters are not only some of the best this gen but some of the best I've even seen in games.

#21 Edited by MonetaryDread (2170 posts) -
#22 Posted by L33T_HAXOR (356 posts) -

I liked Mass Effect 2 less than Fallout 3 but def more than Skyrim.

Skyrim just turned into a rote checklist once you hit a certain level. I had my fun, but I've no desire to go back to that world.

#23 Posted by hippocrit (255 posts) -

@canteu: you don't have to participate.

#24 Posted by triviaman09 (803 posts) -

I would accept either of these as GotG. I've gotta go with the scope of Skyrim though.

#25 Posted by RonGalaxy (3266 posts) -

Mass Effect 2

#26 Posted by csl316 (9423 posts) -

I got every achievement in Mass Effect 2.

So Mass Effect 2!

#27 Edited by AngriGhandi (792 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 has both great gameplay, and a great story.

Skyrim has great gameplay too, but a story I couldn't care less about.

Which doesn't mean it's a bad game-- but it is less great.

#28 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1811 posts) -

I just noticed that the only downloadable game that made it to the quarterfinals was The Walking Dead.

You are all heartless monsters that hate fun.

#29 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

Skyrim because it's the perfect podcast game.

#30 Edited by Killerfridge (316 posts) -

Yay! I game I want to win is winning!

#31 Posted by BluPotato (486 posts) -

yeah neither of these but if you asked me I couldn't give you an answer what one it its like 8 years of games

#32 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12106 posts) -

I'm fine with either, really, though I still put far more time into Oblivion than I did Skyrim and I personally think it should've been on this list instead.

#33 Edited by Mento (2800 posts) -

Tough call. Spent a lot more time with Skyrim, but that doesn't necessarily suggest a preference.

I can buy the argument that ME 2 didn't have the heart of the first game, but one could easily suggest the same about the relationship between the first two Assassin's Creed games as well. In both cases, the first game had an imaginative if incomplete vision that was kind of all over the place quality-wise and the sequel doubled-down on what it wanted the series to be by keeping what worked and eschewing what didn't. In Skyrim's case, it was the closest those of us who have been with the series since Arena have to a fully realised Elder Scrolls game. It's a bit tragic that we have to wait five years each time to see an incrementally improved version of the same idea, but Skyrim's a culmination of a really long journey. Then again, episode six will probably be even better (Bethesda could learn a lot from studying Dark Souls's combat, for one thing), so...

I voted for ME 2, but it was more or less a coin flip.

#34 Edited by BRich (440 posts) -

This one is easy. Just hope it beats Dark Souls in the final (even if the Terminator baby was dumb as hell)

#35 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

ME2 to take the whole thing! (Never thought I would have said this 4 years ago...)

#36 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

I'm fine with either, really, though I still put far more time into Oblivion than I did Skyrim and I personally think it should've been on this list instead.

Skyrim had such a better combat system that any inclusion of oblivion, no matter how cool certain quests were (I'm certainly not saying the Skyrim quests were that great), would've been... odd.

#37 Posted by joshth (508 posts) -

I love both of these games so much. I voted for Skyrim just because it is my absolute favorite game this generation, but if ME2 wins this whole thing I'll be content, that game is amazing.

#38 Posted by LeYcH (216 posts) -

I'm expecting another ME2 hammering.

#39 Posted by Pr1mus (3946 posts) -

#40 Posted by Bulby33 (616 posts) -

The Mass Effect 2 vs. Dark Souls final is almost upon us!

#41 Posted by Vanick (332 posts) -

I'm going Mass Effect 2. I liked Skyrim but not as much as a lot of other games on the list.

#42 Posted by nintendork666 (203 posts) -

ME2

#43 Posted by TheHT (11771 posts) -
@canteu said:

Even if this was Mass Effect 1 vs. Oblivion, Mass Effect would still be the better game.

http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Mass+Effect.+FUCK+YOU+IM+THE+MAKO_87d2e3_4189490.gif

#44 Edited by Deranged (1859 posts) -

Well this is a good one. ME2 MURDERS Skyrim.

#45 Posted by sjwho2 (46 posts) -

I found mass effect to be way too linear for my taste.

Skyrim it is. Free roam>corridor shooting.

#46 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

ME2's *Commander Moments* during the whole Suicide Mission act stand as the most emotionally memorable storydriven singleplayer experience to date for me. The quality of those moments beats the quantity of Skyrim.

#47 Edited by tourgen (4542 posts) -

space shotguns > dragons & swords

tough one though. the official mod tools, tutorials, and crazy stuff for PC version of Skyrim available on the workshop rolled in a whole new era of PC modding.

#48 Posted by Zero_ (1977 posts) -

Totally surprised at how much ME2 is owning Skyrim. Just to play devil's advocate.... shit, I sat here thinking of problems in ME2 for 5 minutes only to realise they were all from ME3. Carry on!

#49 Posted by RetroVirus (1491 posts) -

I am the very model of a scientist Salarian...

#50 Posted by NegativeCero (3039 posts) -

ME2 was a special game for me because it was one of those rare games that lives in a certain point in my life that will always make it memorable. I guess it's just nostalgia, but I feel like that implies more time has to have passed. Funnily enough, Oblivion is another one of those game, and I might've chosen it had it been the choice.