• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by mracoon (4966 posts) 9 months, 1 day ago

Poll: GotG Semifinals: Mass Effect 2 vs. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (1171 votes)

Mass Effect 2 65%
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 35%

Main thread

Full bracket

It's the battle of two of this generations biggest RPGs in the second semifinal.

Mass Effect 2 (2010)

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011)

Voting closes at midnight GMT / 4pm PST Wednesday.

#51 Posted by altairre (1173 posts) -

About time that Skyrim leaves this competition. Dark Souls is the last hurdle...

#52 Posted by Sjosz (485 posts) -

Wow, 2 games that I love to death. Very tough. I'm going with Mass Effect 2 because it has literally changed my life in a big way.

#53 Posted by John1912 (1853 posts) -

I fucking hate ME. Well hate is a bit strong, Ive played them, Ive even kinda of enjoyed them, but I dont think they are anything special. They are rather average is just about every way IMO. What I hate is people gushing over the franchise. It just annoys me to the point where I generally kind of hate the series.

#54 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

As linear as ME2 was, I never really got bored with it. Skyrim was huge but I always felt like I was exploring the same dungeon.

#55 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5352 posts) -

Voted for Skyrim so Dark Souls has a chance. I may or may not think that Mass Effect 2 was better, but Dark Souls doesn't deserve to lose to anything other than The Last of Us or the Witcher 2.

#56 Posted by armaan8014 (5375 posts) -

Mass effect 3 is my second favorite game of all time so.. ME2

Oblivion is in my top 5 too. Not Skyrim though

#57 Edited by Sackmanjones (4682 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 easily. Skyrim is great but guys... Mass Effect 2.... Man I knew it was gonna come down to this and Dark Souls. I truly have no idea what I'm gonna pick.

#58 Edited by punkxblaze (2968 posts) -

If I could choose any game for Skyrim's mighty rampage to end at, Mass Effect 2 is as good as any. But I just want to go out and say I'm commander Shepard, and Skyrim is my favorite game on the citadel.

Mass 2 is fucking fantastic, though. If it was 3, I'd be less okay with it.

#59 Posted by Slag (4222 posts) -

Well I think Skyrim is a bit overrated and didn't really think the combat was that compelling, so I guess that means I'm voting for Mass Effect 2.

#60 Posted by MormonWarrior (2561 posts) -

You're still all bad people for eliminating Super Mario Galaxy. That's my #1 vote by a mile.

So...Mass Effect 2. Skyrim was cool, much better than Oblivion, but nowhere near as awesome as the perfect sequel that was Mass Effect 2.

#61 Edited by TobbRobb (4587 posts) -

Skyrim as a last ditch effort to usurp the obvious winner. Dark Soul's Isn't gonna win. T.T

#63 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

Skyrim is a fantastic world with some amazing things in it and some pure moments of nonlinearity. It's always fun to talk about with other people and hear their different stories and encounters. That being said, Mass Effect 2 is filled with some of the most memorable characters and scenes in gaming, and, although I know many others have problems with its combat or streamlined RPG elements, it perfectly balances customization, strategy, and pure entertainment in its combat system. Easily goes to Mass Effect 2.

#64 Posted by Ezekiel (396 posts) -

I didn't play Mass Effect 2. Only the demo, which failed to sell me. I did try the first game twice, but had no motivation to keep exploring the Citadel and talking to NPCs in the beginning and immediately lost interest when I started over months later. I feel those are good enough reasons to vote. Skyrim is crummy, has excessive copypasta and terrible voice acting, but I've lost myself in the exploration and role-playing, so it gets my vote.

#65 Edited by Karkarov (3056 posts) -

Part 2 of the game of the generation poll. ME2 will win which is sad. Oh well. I hope the Dark Souls die hards don't get too mad when it loses in the end to ME2 as well.

#66 Edited by Oni (2098 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 over Skyrim? What the fuuuu ok. Skyrim on the PC with mods is one of my favorite games of the gen. It would lose to Dark Souls, but not much else. RIP Skyrim.

#67 Posted by punkxblaze (2968 posts) -

@oni said:

Mass Effect 2 over Skyrim? What the fuuuu ok. Skyrim on the PC with mods is one of my favorite games of the gen. It would lose to Dark Souls, but not much else. RIP Skyrim.

To be fair, I don't think people are really taking Skyrim with mods in to consideration. Nor, I think, should they, as it can become a fundamentally different game.

#68 Posted by Danteveli (1173 posts) -

ME2 hands down

#69 Posted by Castiel (2557 posts) -

I played through all of ME2 + dlc.

I played maybe 15 hours of Skyrim...

I still voted Skyrim, the world seems much more appealing and there's something relaxing about just roaming around the world. The music is also amazing. The only reason I stopped playing was because I had the ps3 version, and even though my experience wasn't as bad as others, I started to encounter one of the signs that my game might be broken and the only way to fix it was to start over. I didn't feel like starting over at the time.

I might go back to Skyrim now that all the dlc is out and they hopefully have fixed the bugs.

#70 Edited by Broomhitches (173 posts) -

I chose Skyrim because I loved it and I think ME 1 is the best of the Mass Effect trilogy. If the latter were matched with Skyrim, I would have a tough time voting.

#71 Posted by Jimbo (9796 posts) -

You have to vote ME2 so it can put an end to this Dark Souls madness in the final. Or just because it's better than Skyrim I guess.

#72 Posted by Gatehouse (596 posts) -

I am the very model of a scientist Salarian...

This is why it must win this match up.

#73 Posted by Guesty_01 (339 posts) -

Skyrim all the way, especially over something like Mass Effect 2.

#74 Posted by DizzyMedal (399 posts) -

@ares42 said:

@cale said:

Who cares if the last boss was terrible, it was only a tiny part of a massive game.

I would agree with you, except for the fact that the ending is far from the only bad thing about Mass Effect 2 =)

Oh, I thought he meant Alduin.

#75 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

I'm going with Skyrim. It's close, but Damn did i love my ridiculous amount of time i put into that game. Plus so many people here seem overly hostile towards it, which is like crazy.

#76 Edited by Nux (2322 posts) -

I'm a little surprised by this result but hay ME2 was a really good game.

#77 Posted by forkboy (1127 posts) -

If this was the final I'd think "great job Giant Bomb community". And I'd still vote Mass Effect 2, it was just a fantastic game all round. In fact, this may encourage me to get it reinstalled.

#78 Posted by Shaka999 (466 posts) -

I love Skyrim, but ME2 was fantastic.

Also The Last of Us should've been knocked out sooner. Glad it didn't advance

#79 Posted by Veektarius (4744 posts) -

I voted Skyrim, because I blame ME2 for most of the problems people blame ME3 for. It basically served as an interstitial chapter in which nothing of significance was resolved, forcing ME3 to take care of too much. Skyrim, on the other hand, is probably the first Elder Scrolls game that I didn't ultimately quit with a bad feeling in my mouth. That said, I do like ME2 and voted for it up to this point.

#80 Posted by TheHBK (5471 posts) -

Fuck Mass Effect 2, EA took what was a great RPG with some technical imperfections and turned it into another shooter, and a boring one at that. When I saw that mission complete screen for the firs time, I was like, "Awww fuck." Just talk to a couple people, shoot geth or collectors, get to the guy you are looking for and kill more guys. Thats it. The story was pretty good and provided more insight to the whole battle to fight off the Reapers. But man, Skyrim? That is a fucking game!

#81 Edited by Brendan (7734 posts) -

Man. I played some awesome fucking games this gen.

Side note: Does anybody remember that JRPG about Frederik Chopin? I loved that game. Dammit guys, I'm getting all nostalgic all of a sudden.

#82 Posted by slyspider (1185 posts) -

eh... i didnt really like me2 the way some people do. I guess i prefer old school bioware

#83 Posted by GaspoweR (2937 posts) -

@thehbk said:

But man, Skyrim? That is a fucking game!

#84 Posted by xyzygy (9935 posts) -

Not voting because both titles left a very sour taste in my mouth. They both represent an extreme downgrade of RPG to me. Both of them were very streamlined and I just hated the underlying RPG systems in them - so basic and limited. I want my Major and Minors back in TES. :(

#85 Posted by awesomeusername (4168 posts) -

Modern Warfare and The Last of Us got fucking robbed.

Tell me about it! Both are leaps and bounds better then Skyrim. The only thing good about Skyrim is that it's filled with shit to do and most of it isn't fun either way. The Last of Us foreverrrrrrrrrrrr!

#86 Posted by Buneroid (428 posts) -

Out of the two, Mass Effect was an all around more solid game. If Skyrim wasn't busted as fuck and had a bit more interesting characters or story, then it would easily win.

#87 Edited by Cold_Wolven (2216 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 for just being so damn good and not once had crashed on me or have bugs that prevented me from completing a mission.

#88 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

Skyrim is the most over rated game of this gen, hey guys let's go on an epic adventure that involves nothing but fetch quests!

Good game but not even fun enough for me to beat it personally.

#89 Posted by SlashDance (1812 posts) -
@big_jon said:

Skyrim is the most over rated game of this gen

More than Call of Duty games getting good reviews and selling like 30 million units every single time? I don't know.

#90 Posted by Reisz (1478 posts) -

I vote for the Mass Effect 3 ending.

The King has spoken.

#91 Posted by Nasar7 (2610 posts) -

If Skyrim had an interrupt system, maybe it would have a chance.

#92 Edited by HH (609 posts) -

sometimes i put in Skyrim, and i just walk calmly up a mountain, me, the brawny black-skinned lizardman barbarian necromancer, and view the terrain. an hour goes by and all i do is walk, maybe I shout down a bear or two, but I don't even take the axe off my back, and that amounts to a great hour of gaming, and there is nothing shallow about that.

show me any questline in any game that's any deeper and... well you would be showing me The Last of Us, and that's fine, but Bethesda have entirely different priorities, they care about me, the player, they don't want to entertain me, they want to give me the tools to entertain myself - and that is gaming as far as I'm concerned, it's play, it's being creative, it's having an experience that's unique.

tightly worked out games tend not to allow for that, they funnel the player and take full responsibility for the experience, great, if that's you're thing, but the standards of writing or combat, or whatever, contained in those games just do not apply to the elder scrolls, those things are a sideshow in skyrim, they're a toolset, and that's all, that's all that bethesda intends for them to be.

i'm fine with skyrim bowing out at this stage, i've been enjoying this stuff since Morrowind from the last generation, but it would be nice if all the haters could at least try to understand this about the series - it's the frontrunner in it's field, a field that really shouldn't be so hard to recognize as independent from your view of what games should be - because as it rolls on through generation after generation ahead of us, it's priorities will not, and should not, change.

#93 Posted by Baillie (4072 posts) -

@slashdance said:

@big_jon said:

Skyrim is the most over rated game of this gen

More than Call of Duty games getting good reviews and selling like 30 million units every single time? I don't know.

Yeah, because Call of Duty 4 is overrated. Sure.

#94 Posted by Turambar (6710 posts) -

@brendan said:

Man. I played some awesome fucking games this gen.

Side note: Does anybody remember that JRPG about Frederik Chopin? I loved that game. Dammit guys, I'm getting all nostalgic all of a sudden.

Eternal Sonata

#95 Posted by Grilledcheez (3945 posts) -

Seriously guys? NOW I have to make my own list.

#96 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1720 posts) -

I'm so disappointed that this community let it come down to this. You guys really dropped the ball.

#97 Posted by mracoon (4966 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 picks the right dialogue choices and makes it to the final with 66% of the vote and 1158 votes cast.