Goty 2014: #2 Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Edited By ht101

Before we begin, this one will be a short one since it's Christmas Eve and I'll be spending it with my family once they get back from church. If you've missed any of my other entries in the Game of the Year series, click on the links below:

#3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10 and HM

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

No Caption Provided

As a Lord of the Rings fan, I was somewhat excited for this game. I had played The Two Towers game on Gamecube and really enjoyed it as well as Guardians of Middle Earth, the MOBA-lite that they put out last year. As the reviews for this started coming in and I saw the Quick Look for it, I realized that I needed to play this game. I am very glad that I played this game.

This game has so many great things going for it that predestined it to be loved by me. I love open world games, Assassin's Creed and the Arkham games. This game takes all of them and combines them together in one amazing game. The ultimate reason this game became so great was the Nemesis system. That was such an amazing mechanic to put into the game that would drive you to become better. When I was starting to play, I was dying a lot. I began dying to certain people a lot because I was getting so mad and would die over and over again. I finally had to remind myself of the most important thing when you play a game with Batman combat mechanics: You need to have a lot of patience at the start of the game so you can then get more experience to become better. Once I remembered this, I got so much better at the game. I then only died about 5 or 6 times more from then until the end of the game. I went back and played it again on Monday of this week and was able to get right back into it. I eventually made my way into one of the strongholds and was taking on around 20 guys at once and I didn't feel scared because of how much of a badass I was. Once I got my combo up, I just started branding random dudes and then just murdered all of them.

No Caption Provided

Branding is also an amazing mechanic for the game. When you finally get it, you can then just obliterate everyone in your way. It is so much fun to brand all of the bodyguards of a warchief, go to confront him and then turn his bodyguards on him and watch the amazing happen as they did all of the work for me.

The bad things about this game are few but are enough to keep it from the top slot. The first is the story. Holy cow does it suck. There is no real reason to care for Talion but they sure do try to make you care about him. The reasons for him not being able to die are fine but its not enough to make me care. The other thing is that at some point you get too powerful and it just becomes you trying to find ways to make it fun. While playing earlier this week, I stopped playing because there was no carrot in front of me besides trying to kill or brand all of the warchiefs that were there.

With my number one game appearing tomorrow, I want to thank you for reading and I hope you come back tomorrow to learn all about inquisitions and how they come to be in the Age of Dragons.

HT101