GotY 2014: #8 Wolfenstein: The New Order

ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Edited By ht101

It's now time for my 8th best game of the year. Wolfenstein: The New Order is up but if you missed any of my other blogs about my games of the year, you can check them out at these links:

#9, #10 and HM

Wolfenstein: The New Order

No Caption Provided

My Game of the Year list so far this year includes games in franchises that I have never played before. This trend continues today and will actually finish tomorrow. The Wolfenstein franchise has been one that has always intrigued me because it seemed to start off as just another WW2 shooter that transformed into something that was a huge part of the multiplayer growth on PC. I never had a PC that was capable of playing games besides the random games that came already installed on it. I had heard of Wolfenstein but hadn't actually been exposed to it until I came to Giant Bomb. I never actually decided to play my way through any of the games until this one though.

The Quick Look for this game really got in interested in because it had a cool look and when they mentioned that it didn't have MP, I decided to pick this game up, especially if it went on sale. I started the game and was immediately drawn in by the story. It was written so well and the voice actors did a great job of conveying the emotion of the game. The main villain was so well written as well. The actual animations and rendering of the characters was some of the best this year and really helped to bring me into truly being BJ.

All of this praise for the voice work, characters, animations and everything else would mean nothing if it didn't have great gameplay. Fortunately, this game has terrific gameplay. When I learned that you could go through this game in a stealthy manner and if you messed that up then it became a great shooter, I was super excited. The stealth was done really well and was a lot of fun to do. The stealth kills in the game are super brutal and at times freaked me out a little bit because I was enjoying myself a little too much. The somewhat open areas that let you wander around and do your own thing to accomplish the mission objectives are truly great. It has been something that I've not experienced much and especially when you find it in a first person shooter. The shooting was truly great and the sounds of the various guns were also truly great. The normal machine gun has maybe the greatest sound design of any gun that I've used in a game before.

No Caption Provided

Now, for this game to be here, there were some things that I didn't really enjoy. The first thing that bothered me was that while the game itself was fun, I wasn't truly loving my time when I was playing it. I sometimes wanted to be playing other games because I was getting burned out when playing it. This may have been because my sessions playing this game were over 2 hours long, which is definitely a deal breaker when you are playing a shooter. The other thing is that some of the stuff that happened during the times you were at the base were really dumb. The random sex scene in the game was totally gratuitous and unneeded because I already cared about the characters.

That is all for #8. Since this was supposed to go up yesterday but didn't, look out for #7 later today. It'll be time to raid some tombs at that time. Thanks for reading and I hope to see you next time.

HT101