Graphic style for upcoming game, which do you prefer?

Avatar image for monstersarehere
monstersarehere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Graphic style for upcoming game, which do you prefer? (87 votes)

The Top One 46%
The Bottom One 55%

So... although we continue work on Hybris we are also working on a side-project and we are on the process of selecting graphic style.

Which one do you prefer and why? As always, be absolutely blunt and comment anything you want. It is a work in progress so I will value your input.

Oh, it is supposed to be a comedic action platformer but a violent one.

• 
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

What's the difference? They just look like 2 different areas of the same game with the same art style.

Maybe you meant setting?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Apparently the first one. It is brighter.

Great graphics, very pretty. Great luck!

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The first one. Brighter and looks more fun to explore. Both look good though. Good luck with your game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Top one overall, but I like the grass in the bottom one.

Willza92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would probably be better if you had the two different art styles taken from the same part of the game. The first one seems to ooze more character, the second seems more indie/ arts and crafts. I prefer the first, but my initial reaction was that they were the same art style, but taken from different parts of the levels. If internally you aren't 100% on this art style and your alternate is similar, perhaps you need to create something even more different and see what you think about that. Good luck.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like others so far, I think I prefer the top one overall, but much prefer the grass on the bottom. Combining the two would be wonderful, I think.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Can't really notice the difference between the two styles, but I guess I prefer the second one.

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Use the grass from the second on the first.

Broomhitches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Broomhitches

The top one looks great.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This is really cool, it's a lot like @symptomzinterpretation of Pokemon (before he failed the challenge.) Are those pipes legal? That said, I like the darker tone of the bottom image better. Specifically the color of the mushrooms.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I prefer the second. The individual objects in the first option doesn't blend well together. It looks like images just stacked on top of each other. Maybe it's because everything is so sharp.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I like the brightness of the first one. Adding some hyperviolence to that would really pop.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2nd! Everything just seems to go together. First one is OK, but not near as good as the second.

Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I like the top one, as it fits more with your description of the game in general ("[It] is supposed to be a comedic action platformer but a violent one"). The bright colors in the first picture properly emphasize the tone you seem to be going for, whereas the bottom picture seems to depict a darker setting with a more serious tone.

Than again, as some of the previous commentors have pointed out, both screenshots be in the same game: they use similar tiles for the platforms, and the art style is practically the same. I wonder if what you're truly trying to ask is which screenshot properly depicts the tone the game is trying to present. If this is the question you're trying to ask, then I would answer with my previous answer.

Regardless, I hope my and everyone else's feedback help you in developing your game for the better.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I don't think I'd prefer anything about the first one if you took out the giant penis monster.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamwd said:

Use the grass from the second on the first.

Was thinking this same thing

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Yeah bro the grass is better in the lower image.

I also found the lower image nicer looking, but the top image may fit a comedy more, with it's classic Mario-style background.

Avatar image for mightymayormike
MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MightyMayorMike

The first one gives me a better impression in general. It's full of interesting stuff. The second looks like an empty corner of a level you're supposed to ignore.

Edit: now reading through the comments I do like the grass in the second one and how dark and somber it is. Just now noticed the bodies hanging in the background. I find I like them both! The 2nd feels like a night cycle to the first, almost.

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just noticed the Bowser skeleton in the second picture, nice touch.

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MegaLombax

I like the 2nd one. It seems to have more details in the design i.e. the skeletons, people hanging from the cliff, etc. I like how you made the background of the 2nd screen layered with different shades/silhouettes, which, in my opinion, leaves more room to be more creative with the backdrop without the risk of confusing the player between the actual level and the background. Also, I like how in the 2nd screen, the top platform actually gives a shadow effect on the area beneath it. Appreciate small details like this.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

the top one is too bright, bottom one is easier to fallow for a longer gameplay session.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I like the Veggie-Tales looking thing from the first photo but other than that they look like two different levels to the same game and not completely disparate styles. I like the darkness from the bottom one, personally.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Mario looking background in the first image is a bit on-the-nose. Riffing on Mario should be done with a light touch these days because it's been done so much.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I don't feel like there is a major artistic difference betwen the two. But I do like the bottom one more. Feels a little less cartoony.

mozzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dislike dark games. I like the style of the bottom one, but the brightness of the top one.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:

What's the difference? They just look like 2 different areas of the same game with the same art style.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

top has way more personality and has way more potential for creativity

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By monetarydread

I prefer the grass on the bottom screen, though the background reminds me of a high-res Genesis game. The top is more colourful, and I feel has a more distinct personality.

Not a fan of the Mario pipes though.