#1 Posted by astrotriforce (1326 posts) -

Is there anyone here who has played multiple or all versions of Resident Evil 3?

I started with the PS1 version because I wanted to play it in its "original form", but it was ugly as the sin Satan pushes out of his ass, only burned onto a disc, and thus I had to turn it off before I started convulsing.

I then popped the GameCube version in, and it was absolutely GORGEOUS. Literally high-definition looking. I could not believe the clarity of the backgrounds in gameplay, and how clean Jill looked. ZERO jagged etches, and the backgrounds are so clear you can read every single sign and piece of writing perfectly. It was literally like going from Hell to Heaven.

Here is my main question, has anyone played the downloadable PlayStation Network PS1 Classics version, was it cleaned up any or is it still jaggy as all hell and so ugly and blurry you can't even make out 95% of the signs in the background?

And if anyone has played the Dreamcast version, please tell me if it still "playable" or if it too is ugly like the PS1 version and virtually unplayable because of it. I assume that the DC version should be pretty enough that it's playable.

I assume the PC version looks just as good or better than GCN version. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

#2 Posted by Beforet (2916 posts) -

I would assume the PSN plus version looks as bad as ever. I'm pretty sure it's procedure to do nothing to the code or assets of the game when releasing it on PSN, so things like graphics or load times are like they were.

#3 Posted by astrotriforce (1326 posts) -

@Beforet: Very disappointing. I don't own a PS3 and when I did I never got around to downloading a PS1 Classic. I thought the PS2 may be able to enhance the PS1 version some, but I couldn't tell it was enhanced at all when I turned texture smoothing on. I was playing it using component cables for my PS2 as well. I suppose maybe it'd look better or sound better if you played it on a non-HD TV. But no one owns those any longer.

I just read on wikipedia about all the "bad things" said about the GameCube version, but this version looks and sound incredible in comparison, so I don't know what they were complaining about.

#4 Posted by ThePaleKing (613 posts) -

I believe the Gamecube version was a port of the Dreamcast one, as that one had way better graphics than the PSX. There is also a PC version, which I assume has the most graphics.

#5 Edited by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

I've played RE3 on PS1, Gamecube, PC and PSN and based on my experience, I would say the Gamecube version provides the best graphical clarity. PSN is pretty much the same as PS1. Dreamcast version - never played it. PC from what I recall, isn't as good as it should be but I can't confirm this. Need to play it again but I'm not sure if I can still play it on my PC.

It would be wise to hook the Gamecube up with component cables to amp up the graphics to HD.

#6 Posted by astrotriforce (1326 posts) -

@Psykhophear: Thanks a lot man I really appreciate it! Yeah I played it on my Wii and it is HD quality! Absolutely gorgeous. I appreciate the details. I'll update my review to reflect it. :)

#7 Posted by Brodehouse (9881 posts) -

It was a Playstation game that ran on Playstations.

Though I do think RE2 was more visually appealing, that's more due to use of light and color.

#8 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

@astrotriforce: You're most welcome. Enjoy killing Nemesis in high definition.

#9 Posted by sodacat (214 posts) -

The GCN version is still going to max out at 480i, so it won't actually be HD. The PC version probably has a locked resolution too; all console ports from back then did. The best way to play the game would be to play the PS1 version on a computer emulator. That way you can bump the resolution as high as you want.

#10 Posted by astrotriforce (1326 posts) -

@Psykhophear said:

@astrotriforce: You're most welcome. Enjoy killing Nemesis in high definition.

Oh I did indeed! :D

@sodacat: The GC version looks bonafide HD to me. So it's close enough.

#11 Posted by chocolaterhinovampire (1289 posts) -

I do not remember the Gamecube version looking noticeably better than the PS1

#12 Posted by cannonballBAM (602 posts) -

@astrotriforce: Have you tried using the smoothing filter on classic psn games?

I started with the PS1 version because I wanted to play it in its "original form", but it was ugly as the sin Satan pushes out of his ass, only burned onto a disc, and thus I had to turn it off before I started convulsing.

The game is almost 13 years old and I still think it looks great, especially for PS1 standards.

#13 Posted by astrotriforce (1326 posts) -

@cannonballBAM: I did yes. And I can assure you it didn't look like THAT. I'm not sure what is up, cause I watched some youtube videos as well, which maybe were on a PS1 emulator or something, because you could tell it was the PS1 version, but it didn't look nearly as horrible as it did on my TV. Maybe my component cables are bad? (their official Sony ones though that I ordered through their online store) cause the sound was EXTREMELY horrible as well. Where the voices were real quiet and the sound effects real loud, everything was off. It is a slimline PS2, not sure if that matters at all. And I was playing on an 40'' HD. But FFVIII looks fine to me, and sounds fantastic. Maybe it could be my copy of the game?

#14 Posted by astrotriforce (1326 posts) -

@chocolaterhinovampire said:

I do not remember the Gamecube version looking noticeably better than the PS1

I'll see if I can take a video with my crappy cellphone and see it comes out on video. Because the difference was indescribable. Like going from Tekken 1 to Tekken 6. I keep reading online that the GCN version is a "port of the PS1 version", but then they also say it has updated graphics and backgrounds. It looks incredible, that's all I know.

#15 Edited by cannonballBAM (602 posts) -

@astrotriforce said:

@cannonballBAM: I did yes. And I can assure you it didn't look like THAT. I'm not sure what is up, cause I watched some youtube videos as well, which maybe were on a PS1 emulator or something, because you could tell it was the PS1 version, but it didn't look nearly as horrible as it did on my TV. Maybe my component cables are bad? (their official Sony ones though that I ordered through their online store) cause the sound was EXTREMELY horrible as well. Where the voices were real quiet and the sound effects real loud, everything was off. It is a slimline PS2, not sure if that matters at all. And I was playing on an 40'' HD. But FFVIII looks fine to me, and sounds fantastic. Maybe it could be my copy of the game?

I am not an expert when it comes to resolutions but I think that might be the issue in your case. I know they used actual images as level design in resident evil (hence the fixed camera angle) versus games like final fantasy 7-9 that used actual polygon/geometric shapes. That may cause the image to stretch to fit a larger scale causing the it to fragment and become more distorted.

Just a small guess but I am learning more about it.

#16 Posted by Sackmanjones (4688 posts) -

@cannonballBAM said:

@astrotriforce: Have you tried using the smoothing filter on classic psn games?

The game is almost 13 years old and I still think it looks great, especially for PS1 standards.

Enter the police station! ENTER THE POLICE STATION!!!!

#17 Posted by astrotriforce (1326 posts) -

@cannonballBAM: Interesting. Thanks. :) I'll post that video if I ever get around to recording it.

#18 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (568 posts) -

Just curious, but why are you asking if you don't own a PS3? Thinking of downloading it for Vita or something?

#19 Edited by astrotriforce (1326 posts) -

@Hippie_Genocide said:

Just curious, but why are you asking if you don't own a PS3? Thinking of downloading it for Vita or something?

Naw, it was for my review. I try to cover all the bases and provide accurate information that other reviews skip out on, like what version you should buy the game on among all platforms (including Emulator and RE6 Archives/Anthology) and what are the REAL differences between versions and not the standard info you can find online. From my experience the GCN version is so far above and away greater than the PS1 version that you should not even consider the PS1 version. That kind of thing. Or how many blocks it takes to save, how many save files you have, etc. Some info is hard to find unless you have actual experience, so it's always better to ask on a forum and see if you can find answers from people who've actually played each version.

You can read my Resident Evil 3 review here.

While I'm at it, can someone give me the American price for RE3 on PSN? I logged into my PSN account (I've owned PS3's twice, but both times had to sell them to help pay bills) but for some dumb reason it transfers me to the UK store (O_O) when I click on the game name and it wont' show me the price.... I assume it's like $5 bucks.