Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released May 05, 2015

A standalone expansion and prequel to the 2014 game Wolfenstein: The New Order, loosely recreating the story in Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood is a great game

Vindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Vindo

I am 2 hours in and I'm at 11% completed. I haven't gotten much story yet but I don't read the letters lying around either. I complete areas but I don't get much of an update on how the story is going.

Is The New Order like that with the story too?

Other than that the game is great. The enemies are fantastic.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By NTM

You didn't put the title, so saying The New Order, you must be talking about Wolfenstein?

Vindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: My bad. I thought I was posting in the old blood forum.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mike

@vindo: It's a bug, I'll move it

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'm excited to play it, and I'm sort of kicking myself for not setting my PS4 to rest mode so it could download the game while I'm at work.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I don't remember the Sewer Level in The New Order being bad. >.<

EricFine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Guh! I can't wait to play it! I'm backing up my ps4 for a new 2tb hard drive and it's going to take 9 hours... Probably another 10 to 12 to install the OS and my files onto the new drive and another 4 to 5 hours to down load this game... Fingers crossed there's no power outage (forecast says it might thunderstorm in my area today).

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

I started the pre-load on Sunday night and it's still currently only at 8.7 GB, somehow only pulling 2.5 gigs over night. I was able to play the prologue last night and that was cool. Maybe I'll actually be able to play the full game sometime this century!

You should definitely play The New Order, though. Some would even say it was the best game of 2014...
    The story in that game is surprisingly great.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I started the pre-load on Sunday night and it's still currently only at 8.7 GB, somehow only pulling 2.5 gigs over night. I was able to play the prologue last night and that was cool. Maybe I'll actually be able to play the full game sometime this century!

You should definitely play The New Order, though. Some would even say it was the best game of 2014...

The story in that game is surprisingly great.

Those people who say that it was the best game of 2014... would be almost right. Shovel Knight was just a wee bit better.

In any case, definitely play The New Order

@vindo said:

I am 2 hours in and I'm at 11% completed. I haven't gotten much story yet but I don't read the letters lying around either. I complete areas but I don't get much of an update on how the story is going.

Is The New Order like that with the story too?

The New Order's story is clear and moves along at a pretty good pace without doing all that bothersome reading, so don't worry about that. However, you get a lot more extra details about characters, backgrounds, motivations, etc. by looking at notes, letters, and the like.

The New Order was a ton of fun dragged down by one sewer level - although it managed to not make it the absolute worst by having the most interesting narrative part attached, whereby one of the supporting characters reads you extracts from a diary, and B.J. also recounts his upbringing. It's a weird juxtaposition of simultaneously terrible/lazy level design with enough of a story hook to keep things going, before ending in a somewhat tense gun fight (hint: the lazerkraftwerk and silenced pistol are your friends throughout the game).

Why do you think that level is so bad? It's not my favorite level in the game but I'm glad the game took the time to give me story details without locking me in a room, Half-Life style. Also, I wish more shooters would take the time to stop blowing things up and let us do a little something else. It could have been better designed, I just don't think it stands out so much that it drags the game down.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Well from what it sounds like the game is pretty hefty for both it's price and it's size which is a good thing. I'll wait for a proper quick look and / or reviews till I decide to grab it or not.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just bought it... 39gb? What are they hiding in there, either a lot of uncompressed video or this game has a lot more content than other expandalones

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Just bought it... 39gb? What are they hiding in there, either a lot of uncompressed video or this game has a lot more content than other expandalones

Expandalones...great word.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

According to the destructoid review this is like 8 hours long. That's longer than most shooters main campaigns.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like to play this game, but I've played too much Bloodborne so I fear the old blood..

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunter5024: if that's true then this is an outstanding value

Vindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Vindo

@believer258:

I realized I had forgotten what had happened in the cutscenes. I was playing while someone was watching and I must have been distracted. I was confused on what I was doing in the story. Why I was there.

I went back and played a little by myself with headphones on and I was really immersed in how tense it was. I also got to a cut scene and remembered why I was in the castle. lol

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I've only played for an hour or so, but it's definitely been great so far. The first dream sequence made me a little motion sick.

jeddy201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed New Order, but for some reason I haven't heard anything about this. Glad to hear it's worth buying.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just finished playing this for a few hours and this seems pretty goddamn meaty for a DLC. They could have packaged this and sold it as a full game. Obviously I'm really glad they didn't, but I would have paid for it even if they did.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

I'm enjoying it so far. But I did really love The New Order.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved The New Order (my game of the year).

Can't wait to play this, probably gonna bump it down to normal to keep things ridiculous.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Better believe it duder! It's true as hell.

Vindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316:

To keep things from getting ridiculous or they are ridiculous on normal?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vindo said:

@csl316:

To keep things from getting ridiculous or they are ridiculous on normal?

Ridiculous on normal. I played the main game on hard, so I'm taking Dan's advice of lowering the difficulty and just blasting fools to no end.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So how well does this actually hold up as a standalone piece of content without New Order? I suppose it's been long enough that the price difference isn't that much anymore, but if I were to pick up Old Blood without playing New Order would I miss anything important? This seems like it could be a good way to dip my toes in and see if I like it.

Vindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: Ahhh, well I am playing on normal and I die quite a bit but I probably just suck. I was thinking about knocking it down a level to go full shooting gallery myself.

@zeik: I haven't played New Order either and I am a few hours in and it is great. The mission is to sneak into Castle Wolfenstein with your partner. It seems pretty straight forward and I don't feel like I am missing anything.

The New Order is $26 used at GameStop and this is $20. I read that TNO has 16 missions and this has 8. I prefer games that aren't too long. I figured I can buy this one now and when I beat it I can buy TNO for cheaper than it is now.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@yesiamaduck: Expandalones is an "abilitease" level portmanteau.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vindo: You should get The New Order for that price, because that game is pretty much the perfect length.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it just me, or is the beginning of Old Blood a bit slower and more puzzle oriented than The New Order was? I haven't made it out of the beginning water section yet so I'm still quite early on in the game, but it feels a lot different so far.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vindo said:

@csl316: The New Order is $26 used at GameStop and this is $20. I read that TNO has 16 missions and this has 8. I prefer games that aren't too long. I figured I can buy this one now and when I beat it I can buy TNO for cheaper than it is now.

Dude, definitely pick up The New Order if you are enjoying this. TNO isn't that long, maybe 10-12 hours. It's structured and paced a little differently than The Old Blood. It does have 16 chapters, but some of them are really short because it includes the brief missions that you spend at the resistance hideout as separate missions. I haven't finish The Old Blood yet, but I'm impressed by how much it packs into each mission. I think by the end the game will end up being about two thirds to three quarters the length of TNO.

I'm loving this so far, though. Great mission and encounter design. Feels like there's loads more action than TNO in spots. It's also a bit harder. I'm playing on the second hardest difficulty and parts of it have been pretty rough. The firefight upon escaping from being electrocuted in the castle took me about 20 tries.

I can't be the first one to notice this, but the entirety of The Old Blood is basically a retelling of the first act of Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I'm into it.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda bummed from what I'm hearing on it being light on story. I enjoyed the narrative parts a lot in the base game

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: I've almost finished this expansion. I like it, but it's heavy on the shooting and light on the story. I'd definitely recommend The New Order over this for that reason, though this is certainly no slouch.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm very excited about playing this since New Order was one of my favorites last year.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yesiamaduck said:

I just finished this on Bring it On difficulty, got a decent chunk of the secrets and read every letter, memo, etc. that I could find, and it took me a little more than five hours. Still absolutely worth it, I think the whole thing is very well made (except for the end boss fight, and it's not so long nor terrible, just... you've fought him in other video games before). If you wanted to drag 8 hours out of it, you probably could do so by bumping up the difficulty and trying to get a hundred percent of the secrets without a guide.

In any case, I no longer think that this could have been a full game. It felt like it would be longer when I first started it, but turns out it's the perfect length.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For anyone playing on a PC with a modern discrete GPU, don't be afraid to force a bunch of antialiasing through your Nvidia or AMD control panel. On my 780 Ti I'm able to override the game's default settings and force 8x AA / 8x supersampling with no problem whatsoever. Makes a difference too, this game looks fantastic. Not surprising really since the last game looked great as well.

Kingpk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@vindo: Amazon has a much better offer where you get $15 off TNO when you get New Blood. The XBone version is $25 so I got both games for around $30.

Avatar image for deactivated-60339640361ae
    deactivated-60339640361ae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I'm loving this bullshit stealth bit in the beginning of the goddamn game. Also when you die you have to do it all over again.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude said:
    @yesiamaduck said:

I just finished this on Bring it On difficulty, got a decent chunk of the secrets and read every letter, memo, etc. that I could find, and it took me a little more than five hours. Still absolutely worth it, I think the whole thing is very well made (except for the end boss fight, and it's not so long nor terrible, just... you've fought him in other video games before). If you wanted to drag 8 hours out of it, you probably could do so by bumping up the difficulty and trying to get a hundred percent of the secrets without a guide.

In any case, I no longer think that this could have been a full game. It felt like it would be longer when I first started it, but turns out it's the perfect length.

I actually wish it was just a little bit longer. The second act is maybe half the length of the first, so after beating the first act you get a false impression of length of the rest of the game. I finished it on I Am Death Incarnate in just over 6 hours. In terms of pacing, it does feel nearly perfect. The only thing I would change is having a full level dedicated to the Defiled Church. Instead, you're down there for about 10 minutes and then it's over. Even still, it's a great value and is better and as long as many full-priced titles out there.

I also liked the last boss. It's not amazingly original or anything, but the presentation was great and throwing more Nazis into the mix that you can watch get crushed was pretty fun.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#44  Edited By Captain_Insano

I'm not a big fan of bumping old threads, but during this down-time period of not a lot coming out, everyone should play this. Just went through it and it's pretty fantastic. I liked the shorter length, didn't overstay its welcome

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_insano: I was thinking about it, it is on sale this week on all platforms. I absolutely adored The New Order, so I was pretty much definitely going to get this. But, when it released I was pretty busy, then I heard some not so glowing things, and I sort of lost interest.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@captain_insano: It's on sale right now too on PS4 at least. 10 bucks is a good price.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.