In one of the Bombcast deliberation podcasts, they mention how rare it is for a game ending to me done well. This led me to think of a few games that get it right.
- FEAR - the city blowing up, getting out of there on a helicopter, and Alma climbing in right before it cuts to black.
- Dead Space 2 - An ending that requires you to finish two games to full appreciate. The "typical horror ending" fake out is so good.
- Red Dead Redemption - a good ending tempered by the fact that I still didn't know how to fucking duel.
- Grim Fandango - An ending where the hero gets what he's been wanting for all his un-life, but still bittersweet and beautiful. Bye, Glottis!
- Portal 2 - Portaling THE MOON. Riding the elevator out to the fields, a turret serenade, you're in space.
I had a longer list at one point, but I've forgotten a lot of it now.
I feel like this list needs more older games, but maybe that's what you guys are for?