Great Licensed MMORPG-

Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Ferginator4k

You know what i reckon could make a cool MMO, Heroes.
Think about it, a complex world riddled with conspiracies and you would be able to choose your characters power.

What Other Licenses could make a good MMO?

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By raidingkvatch

That actually would be a really cool MMO, especially if you could be a company type character like HRG or Danko. I think you could probably make a cool MMO in the Tarantino universe - an insane gangster kind of MMO

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#3  Edited By ahoodedfigure

I think Dune would be cool.  All different kinds of stuff to play in that, as long as they let you avoid the whole feudal repression stuff.

leeto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By leeto
@ahoodedfigure:
Dune would be fun. Even something in the Butlerian Jihad timeline where you can choose to be on the side of the Machines or the Humans. But a game within the normal timeline would be cool too.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH FEUDAL REPRESSION? :P

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ahoodedfigure
@leeto: Well, in the sense that in a game it would suck to have to be under this or that House and have to do things that are pretty limited because of all the rules of interaction between the houses.  If you have a lot of power you're stuck doing boring royal things, and if you're weak you're insignificant in the world of Dune.  But I guess some middle ground could be laid out. 

I think sticking with the basic Dune setting would probably have the most interesting ways to diversify gameplay.  You'd have Bene Tlielax bio stuff, Ix and Richese forbidden tech, Guild control of the space lanes and abuse of spice, Bene Gesserit psychological manipulation and assassination, that sort of thing.  Players would have different access to different resources, and maybe by working with people from different origins you could pool resources and build your own mercenary group or even minor house. 

It would be better if it brought new stuff to the table, though, rather than just be an MMORPG skin.  One thing that might be neat is that you judge how well you do by your group, not so much by your own character.  You could associate with several groups at once, building up your own resource base, and maybe backstabbing a group would be part of the game in certain iterations...  Dunno if that would be fun or not.  I like the idea of several groups vying for power instead of just one group vs. one other group.

One thing I'd probably not be so fond of would be if it all centered around the events in the first book, as if nothing else was going on in the universe.  Sort of Tatooine syndrome, where a supposedly backwater world winds up being referenced in every other sentence.  Dune's important, but it shouldn't be the only place you would go.  It would be important maybe to visit there at some point, since Spice is so vital.  But would be cooler to see a bunch of different worlds and not just one place.
leeto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By leeto
@ahoodedfigure: I think if it gets to that point it'd probably be much easier creatively to make it a slight reboot of the universe.

And on a tangent, reading your post made me excited about the thought of a MMO Mechwarrior. I think that has great potential too with all the mercenaries and houses.

Solaris VII is just begging to become a PVP world/arena
ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ahoodedfigure
@leeto: For Mechwarrior, would you have straight real-time combat, or break things down to rounds and attacks?
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By The_A_Drain

Afro Samurai. Hell, thousands of players fighting it up for those headbands? Shit yeah.

Also, call me crazy but, Waterworld, or even just as a single player game, it would be like Fallout meets EVE Online. Or even a water based venture as Fallout 3 DLC, heck you could pull it right out of WaterWorld, a huge oil tanker would make a great base of operations for a DLC package, give the player a Jetski or a small boat and you got my money.

leeto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By leeto
@ahoodedfigure: Classic mechwarrior and battletech stuff has in my opinion been pretty technical stuff (let's just disregard the Mechassault series for now haha), so I think the optimal system would be a transparent turn-based fare ala KOTOR. So I guess the gameplay would be more akin to fighting in rounds and turns than in a full real-time environment.

Progressing in the game would be interesting. The obvious route would be to allow access to heavier Mechs, but I know I and many others like the feel of lighter mechs too. So probably classes would be based around what sort of mech/role you wish to take, and progressing through the game would include access to different mech models, improved weaponry/hardware, and some pilot-based skills like faster reaction times, better accuracy if firing while moving, etc.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Vinchenzo

Portal MMO. I can't wait for a mass-city Portal.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gizmo

Give me a LOST MMO with the Crytek 2 engine and I can die in peace.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187

So far, this thread is definitely full of win!  I would DEFINITELY play Dune.  A Portal MMO would be unplayable because I would be laughing so hard at all the ridiculousness going on!  lol  Afro Samurai, funny enough, would be an interesting MMO if you used a real-time combat system like Conan had.

Personally, I'm kind of pissed that the Stargate MMO got cancelled.  That was looking like a pretty solid title as well.

My addition to the thread?

DUH!!!
DUH!!!

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ahoodedfigure
@leeto: That could work, except I wonder if it might be better if you could switch roles, and that you were more defined by factions, campaigns, and groups you served under which would give you a different experience.  It would say before you selected it that this campaign would have emphasis on larger mechs and team coordination, while this other one would be more about exploration and solo fights.  I dunno. 
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Vinchenzo said:
" Portal MMO. I can't wait for a mass-city Portal. "
But what happens when I put a portal atop your portal? *waits for brain chunks to hit floor*
matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By matthew
@Ferginator4k: There isn't anything wrong with a Heroes MMO save for one problem.  The IP is still too new/world is still under construction.  Granted, the universe they've created so far is dang awesome, and I really dig it.  But it's only been out for what, like 4 years or something to that extent? Dune came out in the 70s (Dune MMO with the varients that ahoodedfigure pointed out to break it up from the normal MMO skins is pure win), ditto for Star Wars.  Warhammer in 83, Warhammer 40K in the late 80s.  Star Trek in teh 60s.  

I'm just making a point that some of these MMOs are drawing from a universe established for well over 20 years (over 10 years for that Stargate one...).  Being around that long allows for fans to be built up.  Lets say a good MMO takes 3 years for development.  Thats almost as long as the Heroes IP has been around.  In 3 years, what is going to be the state of Heroes?  Is the show still going to be running?  I love the show, but I'm just playing devils advocate to make a point.  
Jimbo7676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jimbo7676

A Ravenloft MMO might be cool. I might go for that.