• 62 results
#1 Posted by keann (22 posts) -

Let's have some opinions on this one. there have been some excellent controllers and some pretty groundbreaking ones (N64 springs to mind)

#2 Posted by Alexander (1721 posts) -

N64 controller was handbreaking.

#3 Posted by keann (22 posts) -

ahh each to their own i guess, i found it pretty comfortable. but not as comfortable as the gamecube one.

#4 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Wii controller, its a stick, you point and click, feels very much like a TV remote.

#5 Posted by DazbotAthertron (875 posts) -

N64 controller is incredibly uncomfortable. Try 360 pad.

#6 Posted by BoG (5186 posts) -

I loved the Gamecube controller, its only vice was the C-stick being too small. The Dualshock controllers are also really great for anything that isn't an FPS. I also love the Xbox Controller S, and the 360 controller isn't too shabby, either.

#7 Posted by Alex_V (614 posts) -

I'm not a fan of console controllers - to me they have never been as easy to use as arcade equivalents, joysticks for computers, or even the plain old computer mouse.

#8 Posted by Jayge_ (10222 posts) -

If the GC controller had a slightly larger c-stick it would be the greatest controller ever.

I can't actually think of a more comfortable controller. The 360 controller is much more functional though.

#9 Edited by PenguinDust (12455 posts) -

My choice is the Wico Command Control from 1982.  The boxed controllers had all plastic parts inside, but these were all metal and could take a serious beating.  Really one of the best controllers I ever had.  Simple and classic.

They made a trackball version, too but I didn't have one of those...wanted one but they were much more expensive than the joysticks.

#10 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

I personally think the X360 is the best controller to date. I think the GC controller is a close second and possibly could have taken the top spot if it didn't have some horrible design choices....such as the Z button. <--- I hate the Z button!

#11 Posted by Out_On_Bail (1545 posts) -

The first nintendo!   2 buttons, a d-pad, select and start.  Simplicity at its finest.

#12 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -

The only thing that holds the 360 controller back from being the best ever in my eyes is the horrible d-pad.  For those who say it isn't that bad, go play SFIV with it.  I'd personally say the GameCube controller because it's almost like the controller isn't even there sometimes since it's so comfortable.

#13 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

i think that the 360 has (almost) perfected the "traditional" controller

#14 Edited by samcotts (2258 posts) -

I really like the look of the original Xbox controller. Not as good to use as it is to look at though.

#15 Posted by MattyFTM (14354 posts) -

I'm very fond of the 360 controller. A lot of controllers are too small for my big hands, but the 360 controller is reasonably big. The gamecube controller was good too.

Although if Sony hadn't copped out of their original PS3 controller, this discussion would be a complete no brainer:

Moderator Online
#16 Posted by BiG_Weasel (524 posts) -

I remember coming off the Atari 2600 controller (with one button) to the NES controller (with 2, plus Start & Select) and thinking it was the greatest thing ever...plus the NES had MUSIC!!

But, as far as modern controllers, I prefer the 360 controller.  The tumbsticks are perfectly sized, and placed in the right location. The buttons are placed just right, too. The Playstation's original controller, while more or less the next iteration of the SNES controller, made the horrible mistake of putting the analog sticks in the middle portion of the controller- which is very uncomfortable. What Sony should've done is moved them to positions similar to the 360's controller when they intoduced the first dual shocks.

#17 Posted by SpinCookie (680 posts) -

I'm a big fan of the Gamecube's Wavebird.  I have two of them and use them all the time with my Wii, those things are the best wireless controller I've ever used as well as the most comfortable.

#18 Posted by PowerSerj (987 posts) -

It's a toss up between the Dualshock 2 and the Gamecube controller for me. And I never even owned a Gamecube (I used my friends a lot), so that has to say something about its comfort factor.

#19 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

360 controller.
I all so agree with matty I liked the boomerang it was so ergonomic looking if they had released it I bet it would be the best controller even over the 360 since the 360's only failing is its dpad.

dualshock really actually sucks its not ergonomic in the least and the boomerang would have fixed that.

#20 Posted by Bullet_Jr (770 posts) -

I still prefer the Gamecube controller over the 360 controller though I thought the NES controller was the best and most basic.

#21 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

The DualShock 2 is my favorite controller; it worked as well for flying games as it did for fighting games.  The 360 controller comes in at a close second, only losing points for its horrible d-pad.

#22 Posted by Bullet_Jr (770 posts) -
skrutop said:
"The DualShock 2 is my favorite controller; it worked as well for flying games as it did for fighting games.  The 360 controller comes in at a close second, only losing points for its horrible d-pad."
The Gamecube had similar D-pad issues but it was still nowhere as horrible as the 360 D-pad. Now that I think about it, with the exception to 3rd party controllers, the Dualshock controllers were the only controller that had both a good D-pad and analog sticks.
#23 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

For anything 2D (or things like SFIV) this is the best controller. It's got the best button placement, and the best d-pad. It was originally created for the SEGA Saturn, taking after the successful design of the 6-button Genesis controller, but since then it has been re-released for just about any platform there is, including the PC. Even CAPCOM's custom fighting pads released for various systems, like the PlayStation 2, pretty much ripped this design off.

#24 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -

X360 controller is the best in my opinion

Al3xand3r said:

"For anything 2D (or things like SFIV) this is the best controller. It's got the best button placement, and the best d-pad. It was originally created for the SEGA Saturn, taking after the successful design of the 6-button Genesis controller, but since then it has been re-released for just about any platform there is, including the PC. Even CAPCOM's custom fighting pads released for various systems, like the PlayStation 2, pretty much ripped this design off.
"
  I never liked those controllers , they were not comfy at all

#25 Edited by Daz0608 (384 posts) -

The Xbox 360 controller is the best one I've used, best for shooters and even though the d-pad is really bad apart from fighting games and a few arcade games, for what it needs to do in morden games it does well

#26 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

The Gamecube controller was pure gaming bliss.

#27 Posted by Bullet_Jr (770 posts) -
Black_Rose said:
"The Gamecube controller was pure gaming bliss. "
I agree. I had two Wavebirds. I never held such an ergonomic controller, though the 360 controller comes pretty close.
#28 Posted by TheHBK (5466 posts) -

I don't know there have been lots that have been good.  I just think that it has to be by generation because you can't compare some to those without rumble and no analog stick.  I liked the Super Nintendo one over the genesis.  Hear though lots of people loved the Genesis 6 button and the Sega Saturn one.
I liked the N64 one though for Wrestling games, one could get tired using the D-Pad.  I think the innovation sony made with 4 shoulder buttons is great.  But the layout and feel of the sticks, I really hate the PS controller, even though I think it is great they built in rumble.  The first Xbox controller, maybe worse than the PS but not sure.
The Xbox 360 controller would be amazing if it had a built in battery and a beter d-pad.  The gamecube one was also great and felt good but for some games, the button layout was awkward, also found it akward there was only 3 shoulder buttons.
Conclusion?  Gonna say the Xbox 360 controller has been the best.  This weekend I picked it up think I was gonna play Killzone 2, then I had to put it down and only wish that I could hook up my 360 controller using USB into my PS3 to play killzone, oh what could be.

#29 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

I would have to go with the Super Famicom's, for it's simplicity and feel, second to that would be the Gamecube controller.

1)

2)

3)Those two had a baby and gave birth to this:

4) The Saturn pad was awesome.

#30 Posted by Lashe (1244 posts) -

The 360 controller imo. Your hands just slip perfectly in place

#31 Posted by F1 (346 posts) -

I think the original Xbox S controller was fantastic. The Playstation dual shock is definitely an iconic design and one of my favorites. I also like the Gamecube's controller, VERY comfortable.
I also have to give a nod to the NES controller, for having such a simple interface. I would mention the 360 controller, but I hate the D-Pad, other than that its also very comfortable.

#32 Posted by CoolDrMoney (1978 posts) -

I love the 360 controller, it made the right improvements over the Xbox S Controller. If only that damn D-Pad was better.

I also agree that the Gamecube had a great controller, though the c-tick and mini d-pad could have been better. The Dual Shocks are fine, though I'm not a huge fan of the thumbstick placements.

#33 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

The Playstation controllers have always been my favorite, with the dreamcast and genesis controllers in second place. 

#34 Posted by Pepsiman (2459 posts) -

Nobody here has class. Clearly the winner by far is the Intellivision controller, yet not one person has yet to acknowledge that. Well, no more, for that will precisely be my answer just because it can be!

#35 Posted by ColumnBreaker (1159 posts) -

Wavebird.

#36 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -

NES! I miss that rectangle feel.

#37 Posted by DuhQbnSiLo (2139 posts) -

it would be 360 if it wasn't for the horrible d-pad

#38 Posted by Jensonb (1722 posts) -

Wii Remote and Nunchuk.

#39 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

360 controller - good triggers
PS3 controller - lighter, six axis, better d-pad, is both wired and wireless using only a simple usb cable.

I think some of the worst controllers I've used are from the wii.  I'm standing in the middle of the room with a stick in one hand and a freaking nunchuck in the other, all of this bound with wires and wrist straps.  After I'm done with that, I can go step onto the "amaaaazing balance board!".

#40 Posted by PenguinDust (12455 posts) -
Pepsiman said:
"Nobody here has class. Clearly the winner by far is the Intellivision controller, yet not one person has yet to acknowledge that. Well, no more, for that will precisely be my answer just because it can be!
Pepsiman, you make me laugh.  Excellent choice...gawd, I'm remembering the squishyness of the directional disc now and getting all tearyeyed.  
#41 Posted by JDM006 (113 posts) -

The N64 controller was pretty innovative.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was the first controller to use the analog stick and have rumble which set the standard for the way controllers are designed today.  On the consoles I've owned since, the xbox 360 controller is the best.  The first xbox controller sucked ass and made my wrists ache and swell.

#42 Posted by lamegame621 (975 posts) -

360 has to be my favorite . My G5 mouse is my second favorite though.

#43 Posted by Karmum (11517 posts) -

Dualshock Controller (s) or the Xbox 360 controller.

#44 Posted by JJOR64 (18916 posts) -

Give me a SNES controller then I will be happy.

#45 Posted by KamasamaK (2408 posts) -
JDM006 said:
"The N64 controller was pretty innovative.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was the first controller to use the analog stick and have rumble which set the standard for the way controllers are designed today."
I believe it was an Atari 5200 controller that used the first analog joystick. The N64 controller's joystick actually wasn't even technically analog. [Source]

Also, the N64 controller did not have rumble. The Rumble Pak was an external device released later that could be slotted under the controller.
#46 Posted by chronicsmoke (996 posts) -

for fighters and 2d games sega saturn controllers,for anything else the xbox360 controllers

#47 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
Kush said:
"I personally think the X360 is the best controller to date. I think the GC controller is a close second and possibly could have taken the top spot if it didn't have some horrible design choices....such as the Z button. <--- I hate the Z button!"

I don't agree with either of those choices. I find the 360 controller aesthetically ugly, possessing a horrible nonresponsive d-pad, and action buttons that are way too protrusive (like you're pressing on balls rather than buttons). The GC controller for me was also a nightmare, it's like they took an N64 controller, threw it into a fire, and then took it out after half of it melted.

The best controller is the PS2/PS3 controller. It's tightly designed and you can play it for hours comfortably.
#48 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I have problems with every controller. Though the 360, SNES, and Wavebird are among my favorites. I'll give a brief take on what I think of each controller I've used.

NES - Basic, uncomfortable shape, got the job done back then but controllers have come a long way since this...
SNES - Much better. Still has a flat design, which isn't ideal for comfort, but I loved the combination of concave and convex buttons and can't understand why I've never seen them again. That combo was totally ideal for using 2 face buttons at once. Also, shoulder buttons were a wonderful inclusion.
Genesis - Bulky, ditched the flat design which was a step in the right direction, though not enough buttons and the face buttons felt kind of cheap.
N64 - Unusual, but could work pretty nice if the buttons were mapped well enough in the games you played. The trigger button with the analog stick was definitely cool. The face buttons weren't so hot. The controller itself is enormous, and so is the d-pad. The shoulder buttons were okay, and the rumble pak was a nice addition but it definitely added a lot of weight to the controller.
Playstation - The original Playstation controller (not the Dualshock) was pretty excellent. I still don't think the shape of it is that comfortable, but the layout was simple and pretty fantastic.
Playstation 2 - The Dual Shock is pretty good, though I must admit it took me some time to get used to the analog sticks. I found that it would actually hurt my hands if I tried playing games using the d-pad, since the analog sticks kind of get in the way and you have to hold it sort of awkwardly. Though, once I adjusted to playing with dual analog controls, things were pretty good. However, it is worth noting that these things are cheap as heck. I'd probably had 4 or 5 of them break on me in some way or other. Oh, also, I'm not feeling the pressure sensitivity. Neat idea, but I'd rather not have to push buttons harder for more damage.
Xbox - The Controller S is okay, but overall, I had quite a few problems with it. First of all, it took me a long time to be able to push the back, start, black, and white buttons comfortably. I have pretty big hands, so maybe the first Xbox controller they released would have been better for me, but I've never used it so I don't know. Aside from that, the controller was good, except the d-pad was lousy. It was also pretty comfortable to hold. Both of my Xbox controllers broke before I was ready to retire my Xbox for good. My Xbox kept saying the controllers were disconnected, although they weren't, making me unable to play. Not cool.
Gamecube - I love how this controller fits in your hands. Great comfort level, but also quite a lot of problems. It doesn't work as well with dual analog controls since the analog sticks are sitting in octagons. The Z button was kind of lame. The d-pad was tiny. The face buttons did not have the most ideal layout. The shoulder buttons were great with their 3 levels of sensitivity, except for one problem. Too many games only registered that you pushed the triggers if you pushed them all the way down until they clicked. That was lame. It's hard on the fingers, and in games like Mario Kart: Double Dash where you're pushing the triggers constantly, it's not so pleasant. Despite all my criticisms, I did still thoroughly enjoy this controller. It even got better when it went wireless with the Wavebird.
Xbox 360 - This time, Microsoft almost got it completely right. It's comfortable, it's wireless, it has everything you need in a controller. The bumper buttons were a nice inclusion, but there is one big problem. They didn't fix the lousy d-pad! What the heck, man?! It's just as bad as before! That thing is pretty much useless. I think that's actually my only complaint about the 360 controller, so you can see why it's one of my favorites.

#49 Posted by Grilledcheez (3943 posts) -

I still feel the 360 controller is the best one ever made.

#50 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

Not really sure. All the Dualshocks have been great. Yes they may night be the most ergonomical but I have never had any trouble with them so I can forgive that. Xbox 360 controllers are very comfortable, very ergonomical but I think they fall behind the Dualshock in functionality (at least in my view). In regards to Nintendo controllers though, the Wiimote is actually the closest thing they have bought out that I could say I really liked. The Gamecube was good but just a couple of things about it like z button and tiny sticks etc let it down. N64 controller was just plain terrible and simpler days of NES and SNES I always found those controllers too small for my hands even as a kid. Sega also made some Ok controllers in their day.