Greatest Year in Video Games
Preface: Only 5 are picked from the years using a combination of sales and critical reception (not personal experience or perference) The ordering of the five are is not a 'rating' in reality there is no order they (the five) are just in a line with no first or last.
Also rereleases, ports, and expansions are not counted ie. while Broodwar did come out the same year as Starcraft only Starcraft would be there. This also means that while the Twin Snakes was both enchanced and ported to the gamecube in 2004 it cannot be included but will be noted. This means sequels can and will be included if they meet requirements.
Other notables are included to give extra context to the five choosen and a broad view of the year. This is also were notable rereleases, ports, enchancements, and expansions are placed.
These years below have been cited by individuals in the industry and critics as 'greatest years' persons such as: Jeff Gerstmann, Adam Sessler, Gabe Newell, Will Wright, and Cliff Blezinski.
- 1998 : Starcraft (windows), Metal Gear Solid (Playstation), Half-Life (Windows), The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64), Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast)
- Other notables: Resident Evil 2 (Playstation), Grim Fandango (Windows) Crash Bandicoot 3:Warped (Playstation) Starcraft:Brood War (Windows)
- 2004 : Grand Thief Auto:San Andreas (Playstation 2), The Sims 2 (Windows), World of Warcraft (Windows), Halo 2 (Xbox), Half-Life 2 (Windows)
- Other notables: Ninja Gaiden (Xbox), Metal Gear Solid 3:Snake Eater (Playstation 2), Pokemon: Fire Red/Leaf Green (Gameboy Advanced) Metal Gear Solid:Twin Snakes (Gamecube)
- 2007 : Bioshock (Windows), Halo 3 (Xbox 360), Call of Duty 4:Modern Warfare (Windows), God of War II (Playstation 2) Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
- Other Notables: World of Warcraft:Burning Crusade (Windows) Mass Effect (xbox 360) Rock Band (Current Gen consoles) Final Fantasy VI:Advanced (Gameboy Advanced)
Author's note: The year 2000 was also incontention due to the critical and lasting acclaim of games featured that year. This year could be added, however there would need to be both discussed and to have interest for that year. I am completely open to adding other years and a poll, but in my experience many times when there is a poll many people vote and no actual discussion is there.
If there is backing to move notables around for example Mass Effect to 2007 and God of War II to notables I would be happy to do so as long as there is a concensus for that move. I look forward to the discussion and to see how others feel about these years.