Greenlight: Agarest: Generations of War appears on Steam.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Darji

Ok I usually don't do this stuff but I love JRPGs and I would love to have more JRPGs on the PC. So if this becomes a successes aybe we will even see something like Trails in the sky one of the best JRPG's of this generation on steam. So please help with votes to greenlight it as fast s possible^^

here is the link: Agarest: Generations of War

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Wait, is this the same game our own @sparky_buzzsaw blasted in a blog post long ago?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Darji

@chop said:

Wait, is this the same game our own @sparky_buzzsaw blasted in a blog post long ago?

I don't know what did he say or who is he? XD agarest is a very niche strategy JRPG^^

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@chop said:

Not the same game (that was Record of Agarest War), but if it's in the same series, I highly, highly recommend burning any and all copies that you might see in the wild. Execute with extreme prejudice. That game was and still is my nominee for "worst game of all time," and I've played crap like Gods and Generals and Metal Dungeon. I will never, ever be clean again for having played Record of Agarest War. I'm damaged goods!

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chop said:

Not the same game (that was Record of Agarest War), but if it's in the same series, I highly, highly recommend burning any and all copies that you might see in the wild. Execute with extreme prejudice. That game was and still is my nominee for "worst game of all time," and I've played crap like Gods and Generals and Metal Dungeon. I will never, ever be clean again for having played Record of Agarest War. I'm damaged goods!

why? I think the strategy part is quite nice. Can I see your impressions somewhere? I logged on your blog or reviews but did not find your impressions...

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

@darji: I feel like you're inviting the obvious response here. You say things like "the strategy part". What's the other part? You know what the answer to that is. You know what you're getting yourself into.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#8  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

@darji: I wrote that blog a loooong time ago and I must have forgotten to link it to the Record of Agarest War page, but I remember writing that sucker like it was yesterday. Now, keep in mind, I love turn-based strategy games of all sorts, ranging from Final Fantasy Tactics to Silent Storm to Disgaea, so I'm fairly experienced with the genre (I have a few glaring omissions, but that's neither here nor there). I found the combat overly simplistic and mind-numbingly repetitive (which is a fault of a lot of SRPG games, but particularly so when you have no interesting combat or leveling mechanics to act as a carrot for the endless battles. The story was appallingly bad, as though it had been written by a barely pubescent teen with only the loosest grasp on fantasy fiction and no knowledge whatsoever of things like, oh, women and relationships. That's not to mention the aggravating tendency of the game to marginalize the women in the game as accessories and eye-candy, but let's chalk that up to cultural differences - Yakuza 4 irritated me for the same reasons, but I gave that game a pass due to its awesome gameplay.

It's the sort of game that misses every mark entirely. Sure, it had some interesting ideas with the generations of heroes, and it came during a drought of SRPGs. But I'd rather have no SRPGs than ones so ill-conceived and executed as Agarest War.