#1 Posted by therepublicanguy (85 posts) -

People had the idea somewhat, but here is my main thing:  

Would you choose a platform over another because of achievements? I.E. 360 over PC for the same game?

#2 Posted by Otogi (249 posts) -

Accessibility and control over that.

#3 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3704 posts) -

I like Achievements more than trophies, but I play most games on my PS3 because the multiplayer is free.

#4 Posted by SBYM (1219 posts) -

I like getting Achievements; simple as that.

#5 Posted by Icemael (6313 posts) -

If the only difference was that one had achievements and the other did not, then yes. 

Which in practice means no, never, because there will always be other differences: performance, control, online system et cetera.

#6 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

Occasionally I'll choose a game for 360 over PS3 for achievements, but there are two things that are WAY more important in deciding where I buy a multiplatform game. 

1) Controls of the game. This is absolutely HUGE, as I rarely prefer the DualShock 3 to the 360 controller, but occasionally (such as in fighting games, racing games, and stealth games) I largely prefer the DualShock 3 and will pick a game for PS3 instead. Usually, though, the 360 controller is just what I prefer for the games I usually like to play. As awesome as Super Street Fighter IV is, I'm spending a lot more of my time playing Call of Duty, and that game is strictly better on the 360 than the PS3 'cause the 360 gamepad is pretty much designed for shooters to feel really good. However, I got SSFIV on my 360 too, against my controller preference, because of #2... 

2) Online interactivity. This is actually less about online multiplayer and more about rankings. SSFIV being an exception, I buy games on the 360 so I can use leaderboards, message my friends when I beat their scores, compare achievements with them, and sometimes be able to play online with them. Another plus is that the 360 achievement log pretty much keeps track of every game you've ever played for the platform, so if somebody's looking through my stuff they won't be confused when they see I've never played Assassin's Creed II (a 360 chosen game.) The biggest thing, of course, is leaderboards for me. I use achievements as this if there's no good in-game leaderboards (see the original Dead Rising) but beating my friends for bragging rights is a huge impetus for me while trying to play games; that's the big reason I play most of my more single-player focused games on the 360 than on my rather solitary PS3. 

So, really, it comes down to the fact that I'm only gonna play games on the PS3 if I don't intend to compare myself to my friends or play with them, usually because nobody else is going to buy the game I'm looking at. And even then, it also needs to control better on the PS3 than on the 360, a rare occurrence. 

Now, Steam vs. Xbox? I have no preference between the two, really, except that it usually costs less to buy a game on Steam.

#7 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -

PS3 has trophies, Games for Windows Live has achievements,  Steam has achievements.  I don't understand the question.

#8 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5253 posts) -
@teh_pwnzorer said:

" PS3 has trophies, Games for Windows Live has achievements,  Steam has achievements.  I don't understand the question. "

Do you like points?

I guess if I had to chose one though I would go for the 360's achievements, but only when it's stuff that I get anyway by playing the game. I rarely go above and beyond, but I still like the noise it makes when one pops.

There is one cool thing though. You can totally double up on achievement points with PC Games for Windows Live releases if you ever need that extra boost.
#9 Posted by GlenTennis (3144 posts) -
@Icemael said:
" If the only difference was that one had achievements and the other did not, then yes. 

#10 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

No. Too many other variables, that are much more important.

#11 Posted by DystopiaX (5297 posts) -

no.

#12 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -

I used to pick up the 360 versions of games over ps3 versions because i was more invested in achievements than i was trophies, but now i've just stopped caring. I always get the version i'll have the most friends to play with, or if it's a single player game i'll usually read up on which version runs the best.

#13 Posted by Johnny5 (1354 posts) -

the achievement support adds into the overall community support and thus I prefer the 360 because I feel the community platform is better. 

#14 Posted by geirr (2508 posts) -

Get all platforms, enjoy all games, screw achievements.

#15 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

No.    

#16 Posted by SuperSambo (2858 posts) -

I used to, but I don't care about achievements anymore.

#17 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

Could not careless about achievements, so no I wouldint.

#18 Posted by Peanut (953 posts) -

I just play everything on the 360 that I can. I love achievements, all my friends play their games on 360 and I feel like the overall platform is of a higher quality when it comes to community features and accessibility.  Just using the clumsy interface on the PS3 becomes a hassle when everything is so much easier on the 360.   

That being said, a lot of PS3 exclusives feel more event-like to me, simply because actually using the PS3 to play a game is something of an oddity for me. 

#19 Posted by Gamer_152 (14065 posts) -

No, achievements aren't as important for me as other aspects of the game.

#20 Posted by JoeyRavn (4961 posts) -
@GlenTennis said:
" @Icemael said:
" If the only difference was that one had achievements and the other did not, then yes. 

"
This.
#21 Posted by AlisterCat (5520 posts) -

I game on PC for almost all multi-platform titles and it;s annoying when on PC it doesn't have any achievements or anything. It says more about where I'm at as a gamer than the game though. I just like the persistence. But generally I will choose the best version.

#22 Edited by HaroldoNVU (591 posts) -

Speaking of systems, no. it does not matter to me. I'm not getting a game on PS3 because it has trophies and the PC version doesn't for example. I achievements but that's irrelevant when I choose a platform.  

Now, if let's say, I have more than two versions of a game for the same platform, like World of Goo for Windows, one is stock and other with Steam Achievements. I'm gonna play the steam version as long as I'm not having trouble with my ISP at the moment. Also, when I'm going to buy a game on digital distribution, I'll first check Steam to see if it has Achievements before going to other services for price comparison.

#23 Posted by buft (3315 posts) -
@Icemael said:

Which in practice means no, never, because there will always be other differences: performance, control, online system et cetera. "
i completely agree, if the only difference was achievements then yeh the 360 version but for instance if i was picking up tekken or street fighter its the ps3 every time but for a driving game i prefer the triggers on the 360. the online is also a big consideration, PS3 still has a lot of problems with parties and getting friends together so a lot of the time like for COD i'll go 360. 
#24 Posted by kagato (907 posts) -

Usually ill go for the 360 version of a game mostly because thats where all my friends are at, but it dosent hurt that there are achievements to be had too.  My group of friends have a little rivalry thing going with who can have the most points which has led to me (in the past) playing some questionable titles to boost my score.  It has kind of worn off a bit now though, i guess after 5 years of competing for points we would much rather compete now over lap times on need for speed or hydrothunder.

#25 Posted by wwfundertaker (1397 posts) -

Achievements are incentives to keep playing the game but there are more important factors that.

#26 Posted by GoofyGoober (937 posts) -

Kinda hard to say when pretty much all platforms minus the wii have some sort of reward system now. But usually I just play the game on my main platform(PS3)