GUI: "Gooey" or "Gee-You-Ai"?

• 127 results
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Poll GUI: "Gooey" or "Gee-You-Ai"? (349 votes)

"Gooey" 46%
"Gee-You-Ai" 54%

I've always thought "G-U-I" was the proper way to pronounce it, saying it like "gooey" just sounds silly to me. Apparently quite a few people prefer a latter though. Like Peter Molyneux.

Where do you stand?

• 
TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By TruthTellah

I think people commenting on GUI may be inclined toward sometimes pronouncing it Gee-you-ai, but as someone who has made GUIs and worked with others working on GUIs, I have only ever heard GUI pronounced "gooey". Gee-you-ai just sounds odd to me, and I can't imagine saying it in a practical work setting. It's an acronym, not an initialism.

I can see why some might pronounce it like that from an academic standpoint, but it just isn't how I've ever heard it pronounced in practical use.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#52 gamer_152  Moderator

I pronounce each individual letter separately, because I don't like the way "gooey" sounds, but even among software developers there seems to be little consensus on this. It's kind of like the "GIF" situation where some people will argue it passionately from one side or the other, even though it doesn't really matter that much, and ultimately not understanding that in language we get to choose how we pronounce words.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

It's kind of like the "GIF" situation

Wait, there are people who don't pronounce it "giff"?

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's an acronym. Who the fuck says "Gooey"

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Vextroid

Both. Some times I say 'Gooey' other times G-U-I but mostly the latter.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Gee-yew-eye. Gooey sounds so dumb.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Barrock

@azteck said:

Computer people. SATA is Sa-Tuh. SCSI is Scuzzy.

In computing,[1]graphical user interface (GUI, pronounced 'gooey') [2] is a type of user interface that allows users to interact with electronic devices using images rather than text commands.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#58  Edited By rollingzeppelin

I say gooey cause its fun and faster.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gooey, I always heard it like that when I was learning Python way back in the day and that is how I have always used it now.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Executable.

BaconBits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think i've ever heard anyone say "Gee-You-Ai". Usually it's "Gooey" or just plain "UI".

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By TyCobb

Gooey! What the hell is wrong with all of you? lol

Also, GUID is Goo-Id. If I had powers, I would strike everyone down who said Gwid. Same with people that don't pronounce Varchar as vare-care. So many people pronounce it as vawr-char (char as in charred). Just say variable character and you then realize how to pronounce varchar =)

EDIT:

One other thing that makes me laugh is people saying SQL as S-Q-L; it's Sequel.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By TyCobb

@barrock said:

@azteck said:

Computer people. SATA is Sa-Tuh. SCSI is Suzzy.

In computing,[1]graphical user interface (GUI, pronounced 'gooey') [2] is a type of user interface that allows users to interact with electronic devices using images rather than text commands.

SCSI is Scuzzy.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#64  Edited By Sergio

As a software engineer surrounded by other people with degrees in computer science and engineering who code GUIs, I've only heard it pronounced as "gooey." Now if you were to say UI, then it's "you-eye." CLI is "see-ell-eye."

Feel free to mispronounce it though. I think it's kind of funny.

Edit: Also, SCSI is "scuzzy."

@tycobb: vare-care? I've only heard it pronounced var-car.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#65  Edited By LackingSaint

I feel like, based on these responses, it typically goes that people who often deal with people who understand computers say "gooey" because it's just an accepted, easier way of saying the term, while others who deal with the less computer-literate say G-U-I. That's the case for me, I feel like i'd seem like an idiot talking about a "gooey" to someone who knows little about that kind of thing.

Also, I pronounce it U-I, not ooey.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tycobb said:

@barrock said:

@azteck said:

Computer people. SATA is Sa-Tuh. SCSI is Suzzy.

SCSI is Scuzzy.

Gah. Mistype.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By TyCobb

@sergio: Does that mean you pronounce "character" as "caracter" or "char" as "car"? Varchar = Variable Character -- therefore it is vare-care. =)

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

No on says: A-S-C-I-I, or.. Other stuff. ~ So its, gooey.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#69  Edited By ajamafalous

ITT: people who work with computers and actually use the term regularly vs. people who don't

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock said:

@azteck said:

Computer people. SATA is Sa-Tuh. SCSI is Scuzzy.

Ahem:

Almost a full day was devoted to agreeing to name the standard "Small Computer System Interface," which Boucher intended to be pronounced "sexy", but ENDL's[6] Dal Allan pronounced the new acronym as "scuzzy" and that stuck.

I just like to throw that out there when SCSI comes up. All you G-U-I people are crazy two finger typists with coffee mugs sitting in your optical drive trays, by the way.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By BisonHero

If you say gooey, you sound like a douchebag.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssully said:

As a Computer Science major I have only heard people call it Gooey. So that is the correct way

Yeah. what the hell, people actually say Gee You Ai?

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Sergio

@tycobb said:

@sergio: Does that mean you pronounce "character" as "caracter" or "char" as "car"? Varchar = Variable Character -- therefore it is vare-care. =)

That's like saying GIF is pronounced like gift, minus the t, because of the 'G' sound in Graphics, ignoring what it's inventors say, "JIFF."

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergio said:

@tycobb said:

That's like saying GIF is pronounced like gift, minus the t, because of the 'G' sound in Graphics, ignoring what it's inventors say, "JIFF."

The difference though is that G's can have a J sound. However, I don't pronounce GIF as JIFF. I wouldn't pronounce Git as Jit.

Chibithor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Chibithor

If gooey is the proper way to say it we need a new term to replace it

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

G-U-I. Whenever someone says 'Gooey' I always remember Peter Molyneux talking about Fable 3. *cringe*

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Sergio

@tycobb said:

@sergio said:

@tycobb said:

The difference though is that G's can have a J sound. However, I don't pronounce GIF as JIFF. I wouldn't pronounce Git as Jit.

So you don't pronounce gin as "jin"?

Take GUI, the 'I' in "Interface" is not pronounced with an "ee," and you even agree that it is pronounced "gooey," and not "goo-ih."

But it sounds like your pronunciation of GUID is correct, "goo-id," and not, "goo-eyed" or "goo-eye-dee," even though the "ID" is for "Identifier."

The pronunciations of computer-related abbreviations and acronyms don't always share the same sounds as the words they represent.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

Gooey because that's how they said it in my computer science classes, and I'm not about to argue with people who have PhD's over pronunciation (see also: physics professors and the Greek alphabet)

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#79  Edited By EarlessShrimp

BOTH-y. or B-O-T-H

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergio said:

@tycobb said:

@sergio said:

@tycobb said:

So you don't pronounce gin as "jin"?

Take GUI, the 'I' in "Interface" is not pronounced with an "ee," and you even agree that it is pronounced "gooey," and not "goo-ih."

But it sounds like your pronunciation of GUID is correct, "goo-id," and not, "goo-eyed" or "goo-eye-dee," even though the "ID" is for "Identifier."

The pronunciations of computer-related abbreviations and acronyms don't always share the same sounds as the words they represent.

I do =)

I wasn't trying to say that it's the same every time. It's all subjective and personal preference because they are just acronyms and abbreviations like you said. But I will fight to death for Varchar because of the 2 words it stands for. Vare-care also sounds better than var-car or var-char (CH = H sound not K).

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All three of the programming teachers I have had say "gooey" so I'll go with that.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just UI. You-Eye. Because who the fuck is making non-graphical user interfaces?

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By TyCobb

@rebgav said:

People that are making $200,000 a year because there are few people around that know how code against old UNIX main frames. Old POS systems are all text based. There are still a lot of systems out there that are purely text based.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always spelt it out "G-U-I" but there are definitely people in my engineering/comp. sci. school who seem to prefer saying "Gooey" which I think is gross.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#85 chaser324  Moderator

@tycobb said:

@rebgav said:

People that are making $200,000 a year because there are few people around that know how code against old UNIX main frames. Old POS systems are all text based. There are still a lot of systems out there that are purely text based.

UI doesn't necessary refer to something on a screen at all. Physical interfaces (i.e. physical buttons, sliders, switches) are often also referred to as a user interface.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#86  Edited By Jams

@tycobb said:

@rebgav said:

BOOM KNOWLEDGE BOMB ON YOUR ASS

also it's pronounced Laura.

just realized you mean point of sale systems and not piece of shit systems.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Both, depending on how I'm feeling. But I typically purposefully mispronounce stuff, and obviously the real answer is gooey.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Turambar

@canteu said:

An acronym is not a word.

G.U.I. or better yet, Graphical User Interface.

edit: an acronym is totally pronounced as a word! Learning is fun.

Nope. Easy example is NATO.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It depends on who I'm talking to. If it's a person who knows this stuff, I say Gooey.

If it is someone who doesn't I say G-U-I or Graphical User Interface so I don't get the "uhh whats a gooey herp derp" question.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Canteu

@turambar: Why quote me and correct me, when in the edit I made I've realised my mistake? I also made another post with the realisation and correction of myself.

Reading comprehension!

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tycobb said:

@rebgav said:

Out of curiosity, how much concern is actually given to UI for text based systems, relative to graphical systems? There are plenty of people who work where I do that code for main frames with text interfaces, but I don't think we have any UI designers who specialize in those.

To answer the thread topic, I've said both, but for the most part I just say UI (you-eye). It's not really important whether it's images on a screen or a physical object or words. The basic principles of usability and presentation, and the way you tackle the problems are more or less the same. (Phil Fish and Olly Moss happened to talk about this very thing on one of the GDC streams recently.)

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canteu said:

@turambar: Why quote me and correct me, when in the edit I made I've realised my mistake? I also made another post with the realisation and correction of myself.

Reading comprehension!

Because I totally misread your edit.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@snail: Since GUI is an acronym in its truest sense (an new, pronounceable word formed from initials of multiple words), Gooey is indeed the most logical way to pronounce it. However, since it's derived from UI, which is not an acronym but an initialism (not pronounceable), one might argue that prefixing it with the G might indicate that pronouncing it G-U-I makes more sense.

Ultimately it's a matter of preference as it is more work to pronounce a full on Gee before saying Youu Aii and Gooey is a quick and convenient way to blurt it out. After all, nobody says "show me your id" when asking for your I.D. :) (thinking about it, that could lead to some interesting interactions lol)

And and as for my vote, I barely ever hear anything calling it GUI anyway. All I hear these days is UI. So ... G-U-I it is? :)

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scrawnto: I don't think there is of any concern and doubt there would be someone specialized in it in today's world. I would think anyone could design a text based UI with little problems. You are mainly just focusing on user efficiency.

I think... I may be talking out of my ass here. I have not worked against that stuff before and just have little bits and pieces of what co-workers have told me over the years.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By AlexW00d

@tycobb said:

Wait are you saying you pronounce character as careactor? Wtf.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:

@tycobb said:

I think it's more like care-ick-ter. No one says char-ick-ter or car-ick-ter, and no one says char-actor. I don't know where you got the 'actor' part.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#98  Edited By Seppli

Gooey here.

That's what she said.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scrawnto said:

@alexw00d said:

@tycobb said:

I think it's more like care-ick-ter. No one says char-ick-ter or car-ick-ter, and no one says char-actor. I don't know where you got the 'actor' part.

I don't know what kind of crazy foreign English you speak, but it's most definitely pronounced char-actor. Actor and Acter are pronouced the same.

Wait, are you a cowboy? That's what a really bad impression of a cowboy would sound like if they said character.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#100  Edited By Gruebacca

Never knew there was such heated debate about this. Well, I think GUI sounds better, so I pronounce it that way. "Gooey" sounds like some kid made a mess with Play-Doh, or something.

@alexw00d said:
@scrawnto said:
@alexw00d said:
@tycobb said:

I don't know what kind of crazy foreign English you speak, but it's most definitely pronounced char-actor. Actor and Acter are pronouced the same.

Wait, are you a cowboy? That's what a really bad impression of a cowboy would sound like if they said character.

Where in the English speaking world is character pronounced that way? Are you Ryan Davis?