• 56 results
ronjonx10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ronjonx10

For me I got to go with TOR. I mean I know Guild Was 2 will be freaking great but I can only go with one game I mean I got a girl i need to get some nanny and still work and pay my mortgage. But yeah anyway SWTOR is going to be freaking amazing.
Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Matfei90

If money is an issue, go for GW2. No subscription fee, and it's virtually guaranteed to be an amazing game (but I am a Guild Wars fanboy so of course I'll say that).

ronjonx10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ronjonx10
@Matfei90 said:

If money is an issue, go for GW2. No subscription fee, and it's virtually guaranteed to be an amazing game (but I am a Guild Wars fanboy so of course I'll say that).

This is true but money is not the reason. I just think me and a lot of people are still waiting for that great SW MMO becuase Galaxies was not that great so SWTOR looks to make up for that mistake.
Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Doctorchimp
@ronjonx10 said:
@Matfei90 said:

This is true but money is not the reason. I just think me and a lot of people are still waiting for that great SW MMO becuase Galaxies was not that great so SWTOR looks to make up for that mistake.
Based on what?

Looks like WoW with lightsabers...
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

How about no VS?

Both games look great and target another genre (sci fi vs fantasy), I'd like to play both but I'm a star wars fangirl, so SWTOR first and foremost, perhaps GW2 later.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Three0neFive

Both look like they're trying to change up the MMO formula in some pretty neat ways, but I'm more excited for Guild Wars 2 simply because I've never seen any of the star Wars films and as such don't really care about the fiction.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By CL60
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
How about no VS?  Both games look great and target another genre (sci fi vs fantasy), I'd like to play both but I'm a star wars fangirl, so SWTOR first and foremost, perhaps GW2 later.
Yes. This. 
PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I also need to get some nanny.

biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By biospank

if you like wow in space then yeah it will be a instabuy, but I have to take another option and that is the secret world by funcom

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Aronman789

Galaxies was amazing when it came out, and wasn't too bad when me and some dudes were trying it out again a couple months ago, too bad its shutting down. 

I personally am going for GW2, since I don't really care much for Star Wars. Now if this was between Guild Wars 2 and Dark Millennium, that would be a hard choice for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

With GW2 having no subscription I say both

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By BraveToaster
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
How about no VS? 
Especially when it comes to crap that hasn't been released yet.
Teleri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Teleri

For me:  TOR, unless it turns out not to be so good.   In which case, GW2 is there to pick up the pieces.

randyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By randyf

I don't see any harm in comparing the two. It's a question of what you're most excited for. I also disagree that they're targeting different audiences. They are MMOs that are persistent worlds, heavily story focused, and will require a heavy time commitment. With so little meaningful MMOs coming out lately, I can definitely see these two competing. I mean, Tabula Rasa, Champions Online, Star Trek Online - they all had different settings but were still crushed under the behemoth that is World of Warcraft, which is traditional high fantasy. They're not targeting "sci-fi" or "fantasy" crowds, they're targeting "MMO" crowds.

That said, definitely looking forward to Guild Wars 2 more. It seems like Guild Wars 2 is looking at the current MMO scene and is trying to change it. For the most part, MMOs have been pretty much the same thing since WOW (which really was just kind of a refined Everquest anyway). No one has really come in and shook up the formula, and that's what it seems like ArenaNet is aiming to do. The Old Republic, to me, looks like WOW with lightsabers. And while that's fine, I'm just bored of it. Also, no subscription fee doesn't hurt.

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Codeacious

I'm looking at GW2 more than TOR, and not just because I hate paying subscription fees. I really like what ArenaNet is trying to do with it, if it works out, I'll be playing GW2 for a looooong time.

RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RaikohBlade

Guild Wars 2 is much more cost effective, and I think it'll be a better game too. It simply looks fantastic, with many great innovations.

obinice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By obinice

I really enjoyed Guild Wars and it's expansions, and have no play experience with ToR yet. I will certainly be playing both though, most likely sticking with GW2 due to finances.

I'll tell you what I did like though. KotOR.

Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Loose
@CL60 said:
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
How about no VS?  Both games look great and target another genre (sci fi vs fantasy), I'd like to play both but I'm a star wars fangirl, so SWTOR first and foremost, perhaps GW2 later.
Yes. This. 
Seriously, OP needs to stop making dumb threads.
Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Adamsons

Looking forward to GW2 more, though I have no issues with monthly fees.

No real interest in what SWTOR brings to the table, just hoping GW2 isn't a laggy piece of shit.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By crusader8463

Why must I pick one or the other? Already got the Uber Ultra Deluxe Mega Special Super Secret Collectors Edition for TOR pre-ordered, so I guess that one?

Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Thor_Molecules

Guild Wars 2 already has my money after I played it at last year's GamesCom, that game just seems to do everything right.  

TOR? Well, from what I have seen, it's nowhere near that level of quality, the animations, everything looking ilke it's made from plastic, the endless kill X of Y quests, the shoddy combat, I could go on forever. 

It just feels like it needs at least another full year in development for it to be great, and I was extremely excited for TOR when it was first announced.  
To me personally, it's just apparent that Bioware has no clue what makes a good MMO. Sure they made some decent single-player experiences, but this is an entire different ballgame, and they lack experience, and it shows. You can't just imitate the market leader and expect people to buy your game.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CL60
@Buckfitches said:
the endless kill X of Y quests
Wrong. Most of those show up as bonuses, you get to the questing area, and it pops up Bonus: Kill x amount of y
Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Thor_Molecules
@CL60 said:
@Buckfitches said:
Wrong. Most of those show up as bonuses, you get to the questing area, and it pops up Bonus: Kill x amount of y

By not doing the bonus quests, you gimp yourself at the the end of the zone, where you will be underleveled by missing out on big chunks of XP, making the bonus quests pretty much mandatory for anyone interested in leveling up, just like any other quest. It has already been widely discussed by beta players, and it's a pretty bad treadmill mechanic.  
Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ragdrazi

One looks like the hight of what the MMO genera is capable of as it is currently conceived. (ie. a bunch of Skinner Boxes) The other seems like a risky attempt to inject fresh ideas into the MMO.

Given that choice, I'd have to go with SWTOR.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Enigma777

GW2 is cheaper, looks better, has more exciting and innovating gameplay and a generally cooler universe. TOR has... um... lots of voice overs?

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@CL60
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
Yes. This. 
Agreed. I just quit WoW after playing since launch. I need something new.
Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SexualBubblegumX

I'd go with The Old Republic. Seriously though the best bet would to wait a little after they're both released and go with whichever has gotten better reviews.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Vexxan

I have yet to try GW2 but I'll buy both games when they're released.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By RIDEBIRD

GW2 looks like the superior game and a next gen MMO. It will be the better game - this I can almost promise. I will still play through TOR once or twice for the story though, but I really don't see anything in it appealing in an MMO aspect.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RandyF said:

I don't see any harm in comparing the two. It's a question of what you're most excited for. I also disagree that they're targeting different audiences. They are MMOs that are persistent worlds, heavily story focused, and will require a heavy time commitment. With so little meaningful MMOs coming out lately, I can definitely see these two competing. I mean, Tabula Rasa, Champions Online, Star Trek Online - they all had different settings but were still crushed under the behemoth that is World of Warcraft, which is traditional high fantasy. They're not targeting "sci-fi" or "fantasy" crowds, they're targeting "MMO" crowds.

Love, I don't want to burst your bubble but perhaps they aren't targetting a specific audience, the consumers do.
If you're into MMO's but dislike anything sci fi related (those people excist) you can have zero interest in SWTOR, no matter how good it turns out to be.
I'm way more into fantasy then sci fi but Star Wars is one of my favorite franchises ever, but by all logic GW2 should be my dream game.

Same goes for any genre of games, I love shooters (Timesplitters for example) but I loathe the Call of Duty (or any war shooter) franchise.
Personal taste goes a long way over a game's genre I believe.
But you're right, they're both in the same genre, I just know SWTOR has a name advantage and GW2 has the high fantasy advantage.
And from what we know, both look to be awesome intensive games, but I know a lot of MMO players who will never touch one or the other.
randyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By randyf

@TaliciaDragonsong: I agree with you for the most part. I was just saying that, at this point, so few MMOs are coming out today that an MMO fan, such as myself, doesn't really get to be choosy. If people are sick of WOW, there's really not that many alternatives out there. In the case with me, you could be so desperate for an MMO that's different that you wouldn't care what setting it was in, you're just super bored of WOW. I can see someone who enjoys fantasy more than sci-fi still play Star Wars because they think what that game does is better than Guild Wars. Since those are really the only two games coming out in the foreseeable future, if you don't like one of them, you might play the other one anyway even if you don't like the setting because you're so hungry for a new MMO experience. I, for one, prefer sci-fi much more than high fantasy, but am still looking forward to Guild Wars 2 because it just seems like the more interesting game.

But I agree that if one setting just kicks in your gag reflex that you might just ignore both and wait for something else to come down the line. I'm just saying that they're not two completely different audiences and that we can compare them. It was mainly to defend the original poster for making this topic. I don't think it's pointless. It just sparks a discussion.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Zurv

TOR is a known quanity (at leat to a lot of us. this is my 3 beta test for it.. and the thought i playing it make me turn the PC off). Guild wars 2 might be good... so there is a chance there :)

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By DeeGee

I'll get them both.

Problem solved.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By zeforgotten

Totally different games, you'll see when you get your hands on it.

TOR wins though.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By shiftymagician

If one were to ask me what I think of those two games, I would say this. Note that this is completely based on what I personally want in a game so of course it is subjective.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will be the more successful game. 
Guild Wars 2 to me will be the better game.

Hiashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hiashi

I've never played Guild Wars and actually Like Star Wars a decent amount, especially SWTOR. But if you research the actual facets of gameplay for both these games, Guild Wars 2 is clearly superior, as it is not a WoW clone.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RandyF
I know what you're saying, but in that regard you can also look at just about any genre.
There's only a few titles (less then 5 I dare say) in the shooter genre worth picking up, same goes for RPG or adventure, there's little quality all around, and when combined with preferences...well, shit out of luck in some cases.

My point was both games look to be awesome, but mostly because SWTOR is bringing the loved bioware formula online and GW2 is all about player skill (dodging and stuff instead tanking right? If I recal correctly).
Both things I very much love in my games.
I still play Lotro, been doing that on and off for years, and there's enough other MMO's to satisfy the market, but its a picky one, often one where your loved game falls under the radar if not appreciated enough and will slowly bleed dry.

Anyway, I think both will be doing very great, regardless of their genre/names, I'm not sure if SWTOR has lasting power and if GW2 isn't a bit too unknown to succeed in the long run.
But I know little of GW, so perhaps if the gameplay is as cool as they say, it will catch on right?

Lets hope so, we got too many subpar mmo's.
Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Rattle618

GW2 wins for me, here is why: 
- I always regretted not getting into GW when it started, Im not about to make the same mistake here. 
- TOR seems like yet another MMO with some new stuff, GW2 looks like is going to try to change core mechanics in some neat ways (combat, grouping, questing, etc).
- Shaping the world with my actions seems pretty awesome.
- If there is such a heavy emphasis on story with TOR it wont matter if I pick up the game 5 years from now when it goes F2P. 
- No monthly fees. 
- GW2 looks gorgeous, TOR is starting to look better now, but I still don`t trust those trailers.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By penguindust
@CL60 said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Yes. This. 
Oh come on.  How can we trash something that hasn't been released if there's no "versus"?  That's what the internet is about, isn't it?  Premature judgments based off incomplete information. ;-)
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By CL60
@Buckfitches said:
@CL60 said:
@Buckfitches said:
 By not doing the bonus quests, you gimp yourself at the the end of the zone, where you will be underleveled by missing out on big chunks of XP, making the bonus quests pretty much mandatory for anyone interested in leveling up, just like any other quest. It has already been widely discussed by beta players, and it's a pretty bad treadmill mechanic.  
I've read every beta player Q&A and every writeup on betacake and I've never heard them say that. Most of them say it's a great mechanic.
Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#41  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Yeah, let's compare two games that haven't come out yet.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By BaneFireLord

Guild Wars 2. I probably won't buy either, though.

Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Thor_Molecules
@CL60: The mechanic might work, but it's still a mindless fetch quest. It detracts from my experience, because normal people play MMO's to level up, and now I have to repeatedly grind the exact same mobs to get that XP, instead of a well-done story-driven questline.   

Saying that quests like this are optional is like saying that WoW's "kill X of Y" quests are optional.  Technically true, but couldn't be more wrong in practice.
Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Gargantuan

I was in the SWTOR beta and it wasn't very impressive. Guild Wars 2 looks much better

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Fajita_Jim

Guild Wars 2. I'm tired of EQ clones (come on, where's Ultima Online 2 at? Pretty please?) and GW has had me hooked off and on since it came out. And you know what? When I decided I was burnt out on GW and needed a break, I didn't have to cancel anything, or make another purchase when I decided I wanted to play again.

I've recently gotten back into it and am doing all the new quests they've added (for free) to bridge the story over to GW2. Oh, and also working on my Hall of Monuments...just 20,000 Sunspear points to go before I get that title (and that Diamond Shield HoM reward for GW2)! 

And fuck hard mode is hard.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#46  Edited By project343

I'm really excited for both--plan to purchase/play both day-1.

More excited for SWTOR mostly because I'm an avid BioWare fan, and an avid fan of storytelling. On the other hand, GW2 has a lot of promising, bold design philosophies that the developers are throwing around--I've just found a lot of their gameplay videos to be a tad... traditional?

JaediMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By JaediMaster

I have to go with SWTOR but if I'm being honest that's probably because I'm a big Star Wars fan and love playing anything Star Wars.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CL60
@Buckfitches said:

@CL60:  Saying that quests like this are optional is like saying that WoW's "kill X of Y" quests are optional.  Technically true, but couldn't be more wrong in practice.

That's not at all the same. Because these literally are optional. They are part of the actual quests. Say you have a quest to go into a cave to find a sith master, when you get into the cave. It will pop up and say "Bonus: Kill 10 Sand people". You can still level up to max level without doing the bonus parts of quests, because they are optional. You have literally no proof to say that if you don't do the bonus objectives you have to grind for hours.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By ajamafalous

They're completely different games.

kage71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By kage71
@Doctorchimp said:
@ronjonx10 said:
@Matfei90 said:

Based on what?  Looks like WoW with lightsabers...
It's funny to me how many people keep over and over again posting retarded kiddy statements " WoW clone" or every other game that evolves a sword or anything close to a sword is suppose to be a copy of WoW. You people needs some serious help or you need to come of age to know that WoW was NOT the first MMO out there.  It is only the fact that most of you young people got to age where you could actually sit up in a chair to even play the game rather than do your homework, is the reason the game made it this far. As for what ronjonx10 said LucasArts was making up for the mistake for Galaxies which is very true however the game was made in 2000 not 2004 which was the year for WoW in the first place. So if you really think about since SWTor is actually cleaning up a mistake that LucasArts did back during 2000, that would mean that SWToR is not a copy nor clone of WoW it is the same general ideal with a new twist to it (fully VO). No game can claim this at all. Doctorchimp i am trying to understand how your timeline works here and your reason for calling SWToR "WoW with lightsabers". Star Wars was created by George Lucas in May 1977-1983 which later on became a MMO called StarWars Galaxies in March 2000 and now in the year of 2011 StarWars The Old Republic is being released. So you are saying that a game that does not have this much lore is being copied by a game that has a lore such as this?